Major Design Improvement to Our Wicking Beds

Major Design Improvement to Our Wicking Beds

In this video I talk about a major design improvement that we have made to our wicking beds.

To learn how to build your own check out our blog on how to design and build your own wicking bed.

Share your interest in permaculture and sustainability with T-shirts and other products from the Verge Merch Store!

1. Country 2theSoul on August 12, 2021 at 9:31 pm

Just started my first 2 wicking beds. Interested in learning more. Love the color of your house!

2. flossinggirl on August 12, 2021 at 9:34 pm

We are in process of building ours now. What is the best size of gravel? Is your dirt going directly over the gravel or do you put a barrier between the rock and dirt?

3. Sydney Spice on August 12, 2021 at 9:37 pm

That part about allowing the soil to dry out occasionally rather than being moist all the time makes a lot of sense. That moisture can benefit fungi and other harmful bacteria. …detrimental to the plant’s roots. Love that.

4. Cicero Araujo on August 12, 2021 at 9:38 pm

You’re a great professor

5. Shanna Heckler on August 12, 2021 at 9:38 pm

I made it about three weeks ago. On woodprix I learned a lot about it. Check it mates.

6. jkelectrical on August 12, 2021 at 9:56 pm

Please do away with your intro. Boring.

7. Valeria Vincent-Sancisi on August 12, 2021 at 9:57 pm

how do you deal with the rain??? if worried about anaerobic soil

8. Elizabeth Winsor on August 12, 2021 at 9:57 pm

There are much better videos than this on the subject, I fell a sleep listening to this guy yawn

9. Craig Overend on August 12, 2021 at 9:58 pm

Regarding the Drying-Rewetting, see here: https://youtu.be/N31UFLD9RLA?t=1548

10. Vicol Titus on August 12, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Hello,

What do you do when the nutrients in the wicking culture bed are consumed ??? Does the soil change with a new one or is compost or biomass always added ??? How do you ensure plant nutrients for several consecutive growing seasons ??? Do we use organic fertilizers? At how many crop cycles does the soil change from a wicking crop bed ??? Everyone shows how to start a wicking culture bed … Nobody says how to maintain it and how much it can be used until exhaustion and then changed … Please, can you answer these questions ???

11. VeganMarcella andMore on August 12, 2021 at 10:00 pm

I just clicked the ‘Subscribe’ button, then realized i was already Subscribed, I wish I would get ALL of my subscribed videos, I have the bell icon vibrating, Its disappointing. You would probably get more views too! Great channel

12. Joe Crablone on August 12, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Looks totes awesome!

13. George Ashing on August 12, 2021 at 10:01 pm

What state you in ?

14. DirtyGuvnah on August 12, 2021 at 10:02 pm

What thickness of poly liner did you use for the wood frame wicking beds? Looking at building some for my back yard for next spring. Thanks!

15. Aaron Hankins on August 12, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Thank you for the AMAZING video! Can I apply this to a galvanized steel trough that has a bottom? And if so, I take it I can skip linings? And what are your thoughts on replacing the gravel with corrugated perforated drain pipe and setting the overfill drain about 2" below the top of the pipe in order to create an air layer? This is what I’m thinking about using: https://tarterusa.com/tarter-products/oval-ultra-170

16. TheRainHarvester on August 12, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Wicking beds make so much sense! I modified the concept for Texas. I’ll try to link my video.

17. Peg Dimarco on August 12, 2021 at 10:07 pm

Discover how to do it with Avasva.

18. George Ashing on August 12, 2021 at 10:12 pm

You have good luck with that solar hot water heater is up on the roof ?

19. Nuch Ap on August 12, 2021 at 10:15 pm

👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

20. Alex Wise on August 12, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Really appreciated the blog article and video Rob!

21. beldengi on August 12, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I have pondered using wicking beds but I have concluded they are not a great idea. They use too much water. I spot water my plants whereas wicking beds soak the whole bed. They also tend to over water the roots leading to outbreaks of disease. My friend’s wicking beds have seen all but corn die in the early stages of growth whereas my spot watered and mulched vegies are thriving.

22. blackbeardrrr on August 12, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Awesome builds! Can you describe how you built the turnable / adjustable drain mentioned at 6:10?

23. Veta B on August 12, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Thanks Rob, I’m likely going to use this method next year for my sweet potatoes…getting them close to the house for extra heat but not affecting our wood basement.

24. Duncan Crow on August 12, 2021 at 10:28 pm

I cut my iron residential oil tank down for a wicking bed plus a raft hydroponic tank; the latter doubles as a reservoir for heating the polytunnel, which is ditched around and mainly wicking naturally in the rain belt 🙂

25. H2Dwoat on August 12, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Hi, how would you compare the wicking beds against a SIP bed? The concept seems very similar but I was wondering about the results.