How To Heat A Greenhouse for Free – How to Use A Hotbed

How To Heat A Greenhouse for Free – How to Use A Hotbed

How to make a hotbed to heat a greenhouse for free during winter.
Hotbeds have been used for a long time to grow heat loving plants in this video we will use the traditional hotbed to provide heat greenhouse.
The best way to to heat a greenhouse in winter, Using compost to heat a greenhouse is a convinent way of making compost and provide heat to the greenhouse during winter
Heat greenhouse without fires and make a growing space at the same time.

If you like our work and would like to support our channel please consider becoming a patron;
or you can make a one off donation to the channel here;

Clawed Garden Gloves
I film everything on my phone

Our Amazon Wish List
Find us on Facebook

1. S.M. Mahady Hasan on August 15, 2021 at 9:59 pm

walaikum assalam warahmatullahi wa barakatuhu

2. William R Buchanan on August 15, 2021 at 9:59 pm

Might need oxygen mask for work in greenhouse? But you are very good on getting the heat going. Good video and explanations. Think I still have a bag like you have, for my new built poly tunnel Thanks for all the tips.

3. Teresa StaalCowley on August 15, 2021 at 10:00 pm

Thank you, learning so much from you.

4. Mohamad Hussein on August 15, 2021 at 10:01 pm

Asalamualaykum. From Sydney Australia I have just come across your gardening channel and loving it the information is very comprehensive keep up the good work love the content

5. Pamela Harrison on August 15, 2021 at 10:02 pm

You are crazy ๐Ÿ˜

6. rhonda moffit on August 15, 2021 at 10:02 pm

Great idea!!! Thank you for sharing!!!

7. Stephen Mchale on August 15, 2021 at 10:03 pm

thats one fantastic idea and a ton of fantastic compost for the raised beds in the spring of the next year i am learning all the time stay safe atb

8. Joanne Ferndale on August 15, 2021 at 10:04 pm

lovin you

9. grandpaSstoned Again on August 15, 2021 at 10:04 pm

salaam alaikum

10. Juliet's kitchen on August 15, 2021 at 10:07 pm

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™โš˜โš˜โš˜

11. juan rivera on August 15, 2021 at 10:07 pm

I would love to have the space to really make good compost and have a small greenhouse.

12. AQUAGUY UK on August 15, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Just found this video and very inspirational with great ideas and content well done

13. andrew barber on August 15, 2021 at 10:09 pm

This is a great video, thanks!! Iโ€™ve been looking at how Iโ€™m gonna heat my poly tunnel, I think this is will hit two birds with one stone, heating and a place for compost.

14. Marsha Wallace on August 15, 2021 at 10:09 pm

Nicely done! Thank you for the idea. I’ll be watching more if your videos.

15. Gnome & Away on August 15, 2021 at 10:10 pm

I use similar method for my henhouse but use leaves sandwiched behind it and heat comes through from ground level into the deep litter. Great video by the way very relaxing to watch and envious you got that bag lol.

16. Kyral on August 15, 2021 at 10:10 pm

well done! Wouldn’t it be better to use chicken-wire rather than a bag to surround the compost? Open wire provides better oxygen all around the perimeter.

17. Andrew Yates on August 15, 2021 at 10:11 pm

how long will this be giving off heat for. ?

18. Paul Jones on August 15, 2021 at 10:12 pm

I think you have a dynamite site. Good info and presented really well. THANK YOU

19. bucketrobbert on August 15, 2021 at 10:13 pm

i can smell that all the way up north to start it rotting piss on it

20. Lesley O'Brien on August 15, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Thanks. That was really interesting. When is the best time of year to start one?

21. Jordan Ramsay-Jenkins on August 15, 2021 at 10:15 pm

"it’s like it was made for the job" oh i do love those moments

22. Emmy Jo Sumpter on August 15, 2021 at 10:17 pm

I think i would toss a hand full of nightcrawlers in that

23. Rikey Austin on August 15, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Fantastically useful video. Thank you.

24. margaret cole on August 15, 2021 at 10:21 pm

I knew a guy that raised rabbits in his green house. It kept the plants warm and he used the fertilizer from them.then the excess plant matter fed the rabbits. Then the rabbits fed the family.

25. Shanti Rajan on August 15, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Very impressed by this video. You seem such a regular hard working person using everything around you in an imaginative manner and producing food. Best YouTube channel for gardening. No expensive list to run out and buy! Amazing! God Bless.

26. Jay Dee on August 15, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Really fascinating, thank you. What is the average temp over winter?

27. elaine williams on August 15, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Hi just found your videos. I think they are fantastic and I have to say better than most I’ve seen regarding using everything from the garden and letting nothing go to waste. I have a rabbit and use his droppings in the garden, there is no worry of contaminants either. It is safe to use straight away and will not burn, although when mixed with hay can act as a great compost activator added to greens aswell. It is 4x richer than hot manure in nutrients and you can put the droppings in a bucket add water and use as a liquid feed aswell.
    Keep the videos coming.i saw another man using the hotbed to start off his seedlings by putting the seed trays on top of the heap.

28. Clumsy & Confused on August 15, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Great video. Lost Gardens of Heligan in the UK is where they grow the pineapples using this method. They still grow them this way. Cost about ยฃ10K per pineapple though!!

29. Jo McLeay on August 15, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Really enjoyed watching this. Very impressed with materials you have gathered. Some great ideas. Love and peace from Australia

30. Maymuna Omar on August 15, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Ascw wb mashaa alaah brother iam learning from you alot I use to grow flowers only now insha alaah iam going to start same veg I don’t have big space it’s only back garden becouse what u doing that’little green house it encourage me jizaakalaahu qeyr may Allah protect and give you and family keep health higher insha alaah ascw wb

31. kenneth Murtagh on August 15, 2021 at 10:33 pm

Great video my friend I love the way you took your time and explained everything Iโ€™m going to try that in my polytunnel itโ€™s 25×15 you and your family stay safe with this virus and I love the bag idea ๐Ÿค

32. Andrew Yates on August 15, 2021 at 10:36 pm

why cap it off with soil.? like.. i find that to be a bad thing..considering the weed seeds..

33. Emma Tipple on August 15, 2021 at 10:36 pm

This is really good. Have you had any problems with flies in there?

34. ST H on August 15, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Absolutely incredible!

35. Stewart Thorne on August 15, 2021 at 10:37 pm

for that size greenhouse get a bale of straw wrap it tight in black plastic put 3 small X cuts in the top put a funnel and feed liquid feed (nettle – comfrey )put two plants in the bale you will feel the bale getting warm ive kept the frost out until spring / and a bonus next year you will have amazing compost

36. Lissy Adams on August 15, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Yes, I have builders bag, a pallet and stuff to put in – have a guess what am making today ๐Ÿ˜ƒ yay

37. Ann Lyder on August 15, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Thanks for this I have bought a polytunnel so I can grow all year round crops

38. Adarsh GUPTA on August 15, 2021 at 10:40 pm

Heard of "browns"?

39. Betsy Horton on August 15, 2021 at 10:41 pm

How do you keep it hot long enough for warming the greenhouse all winter? Do you just start a new one? Don’t that cool down repeatedly and need turning?

40. the good life giove on August 15, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Great video my brother I made a hotbed by total accident one year and it was so hot I couldnโ€™t touch it thatโ€™s no joke. Iโ€™m just trying to bloody remember how I did it so I can use it for my greenhouse now lol

41. Alethia Potter on August 15, 2021 at 10:45 pm

This is so helpful and appreciate your sharing.

42. Tony Fox on August 15, 2021 at 10:45 pm

What is the translation to English what you say to start and end your video’s. Love them bye the way

43. Camp Davidson functional training workout on August 15, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Great idea but looks like a ton of manure and greens. No browns…leaves?

44. Wendy Foster on August 15, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Loved your video but most of all I love how you respond to questions and comments in a kind way. Great idea I think we will try it. I loved how you just used what you had around the yard.

45. Jane Kelly on August 15, 2021 at 10:48 pm

This is exactly what I needed to see Monty – thank you!

46. Linda Evans on August 15, 2021 at 10:49 pm

I’ve just started growing veg this year, super helpful and easy to understand thank you

47. E on August 15, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Alot of hard work, Thanks for recording and showing.

48. Paul Hadfield on August 15, 2021 at 10:50 pm

good idea, ilhave to buildone , cheers

49. Deann Dubois on August 15, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Thank you. That’s a very good idea. I really like your videos. Thank you for teaching us ๐ŸŒฟ๐ŸŒฟ๐Ÿ€๐Ÿ€๐Ÿค—

50. My Family Garden on August 15, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Thanks for watching, please leave a comment and let use know what you think. If you like what you see hit the thumbs up and subscribe for regular updates.
    Here’s the follow up planting video – https://youtu.be/qzcggsmymYA
    You can get a compost themometer here – https://amzn.to/2r6YWBv