How to Build a Raised Garden Bed – (A Complete Discussion)

How to Build a Raised Garden Bed – (A Complete Discussion)

Raised garden beds are ideal for vegetable gardening and building a raised bed is quite easy. It can be as simple as starting with three boards and cutting one in half to make the basic box, but there are other factors to consider. Gardener Scott shows how to make a raised bed and discusses the importance of best size, height options, wood selection, extra support for high raised beds, and more.

You can support the channel with Gardener Scott merchandise like T-shirts and mugs at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code”GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

You can help support the Gardener Scott channel in five ways that won’t cost you anything extra:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

5) Click on this affiliate link to get Audible books that you can listen to in the garden: https://amzn.to/3jEHrys

Your support helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

#EnjoyGardening #GardenerScott

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel. Thank you!

1. GARDENING PLUS on August 19, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Do you know how to deal with flies and onion maggots using chemicals i know about other ways i like to get them out of garden.thanks.

2. Lloyd Edmonds on August 19, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Curious if you recommend using landscape fabric on the bottom? I have mole and vole problems and decided to add this to 3 raised beds this past fall to help keep them out since I had it on hand. I’ve heard some use wire mesh which helps with roots also.
    Thanks for your videos; they help a lot!

3. valeria de macedo baylis on August 19, 2021 at 10:18 pm

👏👏👏👏👏👏👏

4. GrowYourGood on August 19, 2021 at 10:23 pm

I know how to do this, completely…but his voice is so slow and soothing. Thank you.

5. Jim Thiel on August 19, 2021 at 10:27 pm

What are people’s thoughts on using beeswax to treat the wood it’s an all natural treatment of course I’ve had Old-Timers tell me if there’s nothing like it

6. yashu S on August 19, 2021 at 10:28 pm

Thanks for great explanation! I’m in confusion whether to use blocks or screws. Now I will with screws. I’m starting my raised bed for first time tomorrow. I have a question though – do we really need inside wood to attach the bed. Can we make single layer bed without 2*4 pieces inside?

7. SokemRokemRobot on August 19, 2021 at 10:28 pm

I’m wondering if you made pilot holes before you screwed in the screws? Or, if there was no chance of splitting the wood when using the 3" screws. It looks like those screws were small in diameter, so that would help with not having to use pilot holes.

8. David Keel on August 19, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Lumber is through the roof right now. I built 3 raised beds about 5 years ago at my parents house and it cost next to nothing. I went out to Home Depot today to spec everything out for my own back yard and the wood alone was going to be around $500. I think I will spend this year working on my landscaping and prep and then build the beds once lumber prices come back down to normal.

9. Vera Wallace on August 19, 2021 at 10:32 pm

Great job ,didn’t have the slightest idea how this is done,someone is going to make one for me, he told me I needed post for the corners, he was correct 👍

10. Susan Seno on August 19, 2021 at 10:32 pm

we are trying to mske a raised bed. Can you please tell us the dimensions of the woodcyou are using? thank you

11. Chuck J on August 19, 2021 at 10:33 pm

The big box stores will deliver the lumber to your house. I don’t mind paying the delivery fee. I work a lot of hours and I am getting to be an "old guy". If I go to the big box store, I have to clear a spot in my SUV, drive to the store, pick out and load up the lumber in the store, load it into my vehicle, unload it at home and put it in the proper work area. At this point, I haven’t even started "construction" and I’ve already used up a lot of valuable time and energy. =)

12. P.H. Kao on August 19, 2021 at 10:33 pm

I am trying to build raised beds on my lawn in my backyard. The location of the ground is not level. One corner is about 4-5 inches than the other. Digging into ground can solve the problem, but part of the bed would be buried, which is not good for the wood. I want to avoid treated wood even though the label says “non toxic”. If sit on above ground, there would be gaps. Please advise. Thanks.

13. Joseph N Adrignola on August 19, 2021 at 10:33 pm

I think I may have made a fatal error in the early stages of constructing my raised bed garden. I used two 2X10’s, using Farmer Scott’s suggestion by using pressure treated for the bottom boards and pine for the top. When it came to applying wood preserver to the top, I used Spar Varnish since it was laying around my shop for a previous project and I didn’t see me using it up.
    Is that gonna leach into my plants and poison us all? Help!

14. Dandylion Mrs C on August 19, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Interesting information. We are in a new-to-us house and it has a raised garden bed atop a hill in the yard. It’s falling apart, and we are looking for different ideas/materials to rebuild. Current is rotting railroad tie looking wood with metal stakes. We like your ideas.

15. Ball Studios Productions on August 19, 2021 at 10:39 pm

I am not handy at all and this was my first real project, so I wanted to note that obviously it does take quite a bit longer than the 15 minute video. While it looked like it would be a snap to do, it took some effort. Here are some things a novice like me learned:
    1. Lowe’s wouldn’t cut the 4X4 but they were willing to cut the 2X8s in half.
    2. I used a hand saw to cut the 4X4 which worked fine.
    3. 8′ boards can be tough to get into a vehicle. I have a Volvo station wagon and it worked okay, though.
    4. It is hard to line up the wood for drilling in the screws if your ground is uneven at all. If you can do it on a flat surface then move it, probably better.
    5. Phillips head wood screws did not work well with power drill due to ‘cam out’ (a term I learned!). Torx head wood screws worked well.
    6. It worked much better to first drill a smaller pilot hole in the end pieces before drilling in screws. The screws don’t go crooked if you start them in the pilot hole.

16. Keith Austin - Brisbane on August 19, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Might be easier to pre drill the screw holes and you don’t get or reduce the slipping as you did on the first screw. Also to prevent splitting.

17. Nancy Smith on August 19, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Do you need to put landscape fabric at the bottom of the bed?

18. Anita Ayres on August 19, 2021 at 10:41 pm

I have recently found your channel and enjoy your teaching style very much. Thank you for the wonderful information.

19. Sammy Star on August 19, 2021 at 10:42 pm

I love this video. I’m subscribin.

Edit: AND the two related linked videos are exactly my other questions!? genius

20. Dale Daywalt on August 19, 2021 at 10:43 pm

I have a question. Do you or anyone recommend also putting 4 by 4 pieces in the center to help hold the long sides? Is it necessary? Same process?

Thanks for such a great step by step tutorial!

21. Morris on August 19, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Great video. Questions re critters. I have gophers and deer in the neighborhood. Do I need some type of screen on the bottom to keep gophers from coming up and pulling plants down? Can I use bird netting on top or do I need something stronger to keep rabbits and deer out from the top. Also – can I put my soil directly over lawn (which is my best place for the bed) or do I need to turnover the lawn first? thanks

22. GiegX on August 19, 2021 at 10:48 pm

I like watching you not only for Perfect advices, i like to learn pure US english native accent 😁😁

23. Sharon Liggett on August 19, 2021 at 10:48 pm

I use the professional grade black, water permeable tarp in my garden. I built my raised bed on this tarp, which is on top of weed free dirt. Will this work OK? Or do I need to cut out the tarp bottom? Thx.

24. Eric Adamski on August 19, 2021 at 10:51 pm

nice beds, too bad the price of lumber skyrocketed

25. Simar Sandhu on August 19, 2021 at 10:53 pm

This is a sensible information thanks for sharing

26. Sharon Hinds on August 19, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Thank you very much. I’m living in the Caribbean, GUYANA 🇬🇾💯👍🏿. I will be following your guide. I don’t have much space but i have enough. I’m a female. Thanks YOU my friend

27. soberirishmanbear on August 19, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Hey Scott, love your Vids Mate, just a stupid question I’ll be making a bed identical to yours here that’s demonstrated, can I just use 2×4’s for braces instead of the 4×4’s, price of lumber is crazy right now and the 4×4 are way to expensive. Thank you Scott.

28. Mary K on August 19, 2021 at 10:56 pm

So well explained Scott! Thanks very much for your guidance:)

29. Laura Colvin on August 19, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Thank you Gardener Scott. Great video. (You married?). 😉

30. Anne-Marie Stevenson on August 19, 2021 at 10:56 pm

My husband used longer corner pieces (1m which is about 3ft) so I could put fleece or net over it if I need to. I find them even more useful for helping me get up when I’ve been kneeling for a while!

31. Ranveer Jayani on August 19, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Yet another helpful video for newbies !!! Could I ask if you use pressure treated wood for this? If not, what type is is?

32. Maggie Murray on August 19, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Excellent video 🇨🇦

33. Veiss seven on August 19, 2021 at 11:00 pm

The price of lumber is now 300% what it was just last year. Maybe cinderblocks or whole logs is a good method on the cheap now.

34. Jeff Nauffts on August 19, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Good video and some decent tips; however, I’m not sure about the screw part (prior to adding the 4"x4" supports in the corners)…"using the strength of the screw to keep the long side from coming apart". The screws don’t really have any shear strength so all the weight of the long side pushing against the screw sideways would be more of a problem than the chance of the screw backing out, IMO.

35. 37Sith on August 19, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Stupid question. But should i dig out the grass to help with irrigation before i put my soil in?

36. Ana Davila on August 19, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Thank you so much! This was SO HELPFUL!!!

37. Shine Thomas on August 19, 2021 at 11:02 pm

May I know, what’s the size of the timber, width and thickness?

38. what's next on August 19, 2021 at 11:02 pm

New sub here! Great tips! Thanks so much! We’ll be building some soon with your guidance.

39. Jeffrey Chang on August 19, 2021 at 11:02 pm

My existing garden sits directly next to a huge tree that seems to be taking all the good "stuff" from the gound soil. Do you recommend some kind of barrier between the new soil in a raised bed from the ground soil beneath it in hopes to keep the tree from taking all the good "stuff" from the new soil in the raised bed?

40. Chuck J on August 19, 2021 at 11:03 pm

I am starting my raised bed project today.

41. Skid Loader Beginner JCB 260, Bees, Farm, Pets on August 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

I am studying up to have high raised beds on an old feedlot of concrete which slopes. Any tips on if the sloping will be affected or should be adjusted for? Great video, thanks, btw.

42. Bill Mcleish on August 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

good video

43. cousinJoJo1 on August 19, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Love the way you explain the project. I am planning to build a 2’x6′ 16" high bed along the fence. Is this length too long for the width and hight.? Should I make 2-2’x3′ x 16"? Also I know not to use treated wood so what is the best type of wood to use. I also heard that treating the wood with mineral oil will prolong the life of the wood, is this true?.

44. Sports Genius on August 19, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Are those 2×6 boards?

45. Meri G on August 19, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Thanks ! I did it your way and it works !

46. Russell Fernandes on August 19, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Fantastic ! Explained very simply. You motivate your listeners

47. T. Aaron on August 19, 2021 at 11:11 pm

What am I supposed to be doing for the bottom

48. Gabbu Sensei on August 19, 2021 at 11:12 pm

My grandparents had green thumbs and loved to build things by themselves. Everything from the patio to the pond was dug up/crafted/painted and made with their own hands. I was too small to help so I usually just held the watering can.
    My grandma passed away when I was 13 and my grand father last month, as Im 23. They built foundations, figuratively and literally for our family & community. We lost the family home when I was in high school and since then I have devoted myself to build up from there. I want to follow as the next matriach/patriach figure of our family and build on generational wealth. To me, things like this is how you start. These sweet and precious DIY projects that transform a house into a home. Im not quite there for home ownership yet, but I hope I can build up using these methods, the same way they were able to.
    I never got around to asking them just HOW they did every thing (call it a generational gap) but I am truly glad someone is out there making tutorials that a "helpless Gen Z’er" like me can follow.

49. Bryan Hardin on August 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

How do I keep weeds growing up through the bottom of my raised beds. I added landscaping paper and weeds still grew up through the dirt

50. David Eagle on August 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Thanks Scott. This is very good information.