Easy Herbs for Beginners – Basil, Cilantro & Parsley

Easy Herbs for Beginners – Basil, Cilantro & Parsley

💛 📖 See the GrowVeg book here: https://www.growveg.com/growveg-the-beginners-guide-to-easy-gardening.aspx.
3 Easy Leafy Herbs for Beginners to Grow

Fresh herbs bring our cooking to life, with three leafy herbs in particular cropping up time and again: basil, cilantro (coriander), and parsley.

These leafy herbs are incredibly versatile and exceptionally easy to grow too.

In this short video, we’ll show you how.

If you love growing your own food, why not take a look at our online Garden Planner which is available from several major websites and seed suppliers:
and many more…

To receive more gardening videos subscribe to our channel here: https://www.youtube.com/subscription_center?add_user=GrowVeg

If you’ve noticed any pests or beneficial insects in your garden lately please report them to us at https://BigBugHunt.com

1. Kanzee on August 22, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Where are you guys located ?? what zone are you in ??

2. grknsl on August 22, 2021 at 10:15 pm

Friends, as long as we do not interfere with nature (when we cannot leave the house), I think we can be healthy if we return to nature likewise nature renews itself.
     Especially in winter, I use sage not only as a spice but also as tea.
     When I look at the history, this plant has been used in the treatment of many diseases.
     As the Virgin Mary is mentioned in mythology.

If you search the internet for ‘Benefits of sage
    .you will be very surprised. I wish you all a healthy day.

3. Deborah Isaacs on August 22, 2021 at 10:15 pm

I’ve used the fresh seed from coriander that has bolted for cooking. It is tremendous in a batter for tofu or mushrooms. It gives a little green flavoured explosion in your mouth as you bite down on each seed. If you are lucky enough to have giant puffballs (a fungus) growing wild near you, slice them into "steaks" and fry in green seed coriander batter. Delicious!

4. Guyla Mullins on August 22, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Basil is wonderful!

5. Kereen Bennett on August 22, 2021 at 10:18 pm

basil and parsley for me are already up and growing

6. smile30981 on August 22, 2021 at 10:20 pm

I bought an envelope of seeds from Amazon (not really my first place for seeds) but the thought of 350 seeds of 12 mixed varieties enticed me! I’m planting an entire 2×4 bed of basil: Genovese, Thai, lemon, cinnamon and a couple of leaves I don’t recognize…I’m so excited!

7. karina13xx on August 22, 2021 at 10:22 pm

How fast does each grow? And what if I want to control how much I grow? Like say I don’t want too much basil (a handful is good), but want lots of parsley and cilantro (in bunches like they come at the grocery stores)?

Any advice is greatly appreciated! Newbie at gardening but I really want to grow my own herbs!!

8. Johanna vanbreda on August 22, 2021 at 10:22 pm

I live in South Africa on the southern coast and have planted these herbs in pots. Our winter have just been started but the temperature never goes below 15 degrees Celsius. Love my herbs. Thanks for your teachings it helped a lot.

9. Harry Newton on August 22, 2021 at 10:23 pm

I have literally just ordered off eBay As I am medically shielding. Some organic Italian basil seeds to grow and sage leaves to do the same will let you know and keep you updated of the progress.

10. Amanda Estremera on August 22, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Thank you for that, very informative! We live in Southern California where it gets in the 90’s and beyond over the summer (!), should I protect the herbs?

11. Daniel P on August 22, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Why does UK pronounce the H?

12. Nancy Mallewick on August 22, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Don’t always login but love all your videos! So good to know your you can start basil from cuttings. Will that work from fresh cuttings from the grocery store?

13. Don Isenberg on August 22, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Oregano is easy, but grow it in a container because it spreads aggressively.

14. Allison Bradley on August 22, 2021 at 10:30 pm

yup! all three plus oregano, garlic chives & rosemary… yummmmm

15. Marilyn Halligan on August 22, 2021 at 10:31 pm

I have all the herbs you mentioned in this video plus oregano, thyme, sage, and rosemary.

16. F. D. English on August 22, 2021 at 10:33 pm

The herbs I’ve planted this year are basil, cilantro, parsley, sage, thyme and mint.

17. Elizabeth Lane on August 22, 2021 at 10:34 pm

I grow purple and sweet basil, flat leaf parsley, cilantro and Mammoth and Bouquet dills! All in containers right on my patio steps from the kitchen. Also, perennial favorites Rosemary and thymes. Love fresh herbs—great video as always!

18. Angelene Flowers on August 22, 2021 at 10:34 pm

My three favorites to grow!

19. Ericka Haller on August 22, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Thank you for that very informative video. We live in the South of France and have to water lots, so my herbs are in stone pots. However, I just can’t get along with coriander! i cut it often as i use it a lot and it has gone to flower….. now what do I do? I love the bees and thought I’d leave it until the flowers die but then should I cut it? Same with basil? Thank you

20. Khloe Maybury on August 22, 2021 at 10:38 pm

My love for growing my own veg & herbs started during lockdown. These videos have been so helpful. I still have all the gear and no idea but I’m learning slowly by watching these videos! Thank you!

21. Melody Lacy on August 22, 2021 at 10:38 pm

I grow basil in small pots… Dozens of small pots! When the plants are a few inches high I bring them in, one at a time, to the aviary for our budgies to dine on, always sowing another pot to replace it out in the garden. I wonder if other budgie enthusiasts know how much these little birds love basil?
    The reason I grow 30+ pots of basil at a time is to make sure there is enough for my pesto habit and a well grown pot of basil, wrapped in a pretty bow makes a terrific gift for anyone who cooks or has small birds.

22. E.L. Bl/Du on August 22, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Most of these herbs are ready before I am, so I snip and dry them (brown paper bag works as well as my dehydrator) for when the tomatoes are ready for canning sauces. This year I tossed basil seeds in with the lettuce starts, hoping it wouldnt go to bloom by the time tomatoes start coming on end of July. Ill let you know if this works. If it doesnt, Im in trouble for pasta sauce.

23. chasm of sar on August 22, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I would love you to do a piece on aggressive herbs like mint and oregano and creative ways to keep them from taking over the garden.

24. Grandma Sez So on August 22, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I can not get parsley to grow from seed in my garden. I have even tried in peat pots. My other problem is some sort of root rot that attacked my cilantro. It looked like a squash borer got inside the cilantro stem.

25. Allister Earls on August 22, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Hi, having some problems growing curly leaf parsley for the first time. It’s refusing to germinate. (I’m trying it on the kitchen window sill.) When you soak the seed in warm water overnight I take it you don’t mean boiling?

26. Blessing's Foodstuff on August 22, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Where can i buy those herbs

27. Christian Smith on August 22, 2021 at 10:42 pm

I’ve got basil. May need to pinch the tops out. The slugs have been enjoying them

28. Mr Ibex on August 22, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Hello how long does it take for a Chile and pepper tree to get the fruits?

29. Johnny Fleurimond on August 22, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Just started parsley and cilantro! Thanks for the tips 👍🏾🤞🏾

30. Caroline Barton on August 22, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Hi yes I grow herb s in my back garden. Not got allotment just garden with raise bed

31. Mike Rogers on August 22, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Yes, I grow these and some others. However, I have been supremely unsuccessful in growning basil from seed, so use shop bought and transplant. Any idea why no seed germination, I’ve tried propagator, sealed plastic bags and no aids. I’m not sure what’s left.
    Love you videos though, they’re always a treat to watch and so informative. Thanks.

32. R. E. Morris on August 22, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Growing fern leaf dill, giant flat leaf parsley, cilantro, marjoram, onion chives, garlic, French thyme, oregano, basil (2 types) and curly parsley. Oh, and rosemary of course.

33. Dave Littlehale on August 22, 2021 at 10:47 pm

How do you prevent cilantro from bolting? I’ve given up on it as it sends up 2 or 3 leave stalks and then it bolts.
    Thanks

34. Tameka Hill on August 22, 2021 at 10:50 pm

I’m growing all of them.Some are starting to flower. I repot the others.

35. Sabrina Rouse on August 22, 2021 at 10:51 pm

I’m calling you Dr Herbert from now on

36. Cindi Johnson on August 22, 2021 at 10:51 pm

I didn’t know you could propagate basil like that! I’m going to start some right now. Thanks for pointing out the difference between curly parsley and flat parsley. No one could ever give me an answer on that. The curly parsley does indeed dry much nicer and maintains a rich green color.

37. Cindy Rains on August 22, 2021 at 10:52 pm

great info, love these 3 herbs

38. manta8ray mommy on August 22, 2021 at 10:52 pm

I’m growing Big Italy parsley, cilantro, dill, chives, my rosemary plant is filling out nicely, and I’m about to sow some Blue Monday sage. Yay herbs! Thanks for the video, I need to cut off some cilantro today…

39. Sabrina Rouse on August 22, 2021 at 10:56 pm

I’m calling you Dr Herbert from now on

40. Cary Mandeville on August 22, 2021 at 10:56 pm

We live in Atlanta. Our parsley reseeds so we have plants all year round right out our kitchen door…it grows with a few hours of afternoon sun…had it in a smoothie yesterday..yum

41. Dal Cloud on August 22, 2021 at 11:01 pm

I have parsley alive in my fridge. Do I plant it? How is it alive? My carrots are also growing.

42. Victoria Chatfield on August 22, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Is there any reason to NOT transplant out into the yard, where the sun can be scalding? I have a sunny window where I can place pots up to 4"-6" so do you think growing indoors is doable for basil and parsley?

43. Ollie on August 22, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Did you purposely make this video in response to my ‘store bought’ herb question, or is this just a coincidence? Either way! Top man! Thank you!

44. Ju Haghverdian on August 22, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Great tips! Thanks

45. Kate Burkholder on August 22, 2021 at 11:04 pm

These are MY three go to herbs as well. love my BASIL all year round…versatile and ymmy as is Coriander ymmmm Cilantro in many of my fav dishes…thanks for the update,. love it

46. Karen Cooper on August 22, 2021 at 11:04 pm

I often cut the basil and cilantro to use in flower arrangements. They are pretty and help keep the plants from being overgrown.

47. Inés López-Aranda Llebrés on August 22, 2021 at 11:05 pm

Very useful, thank you for including the basics in 5 minutes, if it weren’t for you I would have had to watch a 20 minute video.

48. Tassoumaate on August 22, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I’m growing parsley and cilantro. But they all seem not growing enough.

49. Marilyn Halligan on August 22, 2021 at 11:12 pm

50. V Johnson on August 22, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I had the best crop of Cilantro this Spring after letting my plants go to seed, then scattering the seeds at the end of summer. I had enough to make several batches of Cilantro Pesto with sliced almonds instead of Basil and Pine Nuts, and now its my favorite!