Queensland Fruit Fly Protecting Fruit – Our Organic Method

Queensland Fruit Fly Protecting Fruit – Our Organic Method

Queensland Fruit Fly Protecting Fruit – Our Organic Method
Hi Folks. Protecting fruit from fruit fly attack is vital if you want any harvest at all from your crops in some areas. In this clip I share with you the method we’ve found to be the most effective & it’s organic to boot.

Hope the clip helps some & that your pest free gardens are booming. 😉
Cheers all,
Rob

Patreon ► https://www.patreon.com/RobsBackyardFarm
When you become a supporter through Patreon you not only get our deepest gratitude for helping us to make more content but you will get access to our member only feed. On the feed you’ll find daily video/picture updates, early access to clips & monthly online hangouts depending on your level of support.
You can Subscribe Here► https://goo.gl/vCXkP5
Would be great to see you come along & say “G’Day” when we post a clip.

Facebook ► https://www.facebook.com/Bitsouttheback
Instagram ► https://www.instagram.com/bits_out_the_back
Tumblr ► https://www.bitsouttheback.tumblr.com/
Twitter ► https://www.twitter.com/RobsUrbanFarm
Pintrest ► https://www.pinterest.com/bitsouttheback/

Fruit fly on pear © Cesare Antonio Palma
Dreamstime.com ID 78288934

1. Helveteshit on August 23, 2021 at 10:14 pm

I just want to see a carnivore plant growing in your patch to see what it catches. One of those big mouth ones would probably do well in your warmer weather potentially. Or something else. I think they might do a better job attracting the fruit fly but perhaps not enough? But Ye…

What kind of predators are there around that eats fruit flies? No natural insect that might work?

2. Praxxus55712 on August 23, 2021 at 10:16 pm

I get a shiver when I think about how it would be to bite into fruit and get a mouthful of maggots. You have some creepy insects down under.

3. JEPCo Zenith on August 23, 2021 at 10:18 pm

Your ‘Fruit Flies’ look the size of our bees.

4. George Gibson on August 23, 2021 at 10:19 pm
  5. AgsiSD on August 23, 2021 at 10:20 pm

I picked up a great tip which repels white cabbage moth using mothballs suspended in a sock nailed to the top of a wooden steak under an inverted plastic cup to keep the rain off. Works a treat. I wonder if the same stuff would repel fruit fly?

6. Nawaz Tausif on August 23, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Rob I have the same problem. Can I spray any insect pesticide on the plant?

7. The Norm on August 23, 2021 at 10:22 pm

I live in South Africa and I have the same problem

8. habiba hassan on August 23, 2021 at 10:22 pm

THANKS .

9. Oxbow Farm on August 23, 2021 at 10:23 pm

Looks like a terrible pest. We have recently been afflicted by a fruit destroying fruit fly, Spotted Wing Drosophila, but it seems to limit itself to soft fruit and leaves the vegetables and apples alone, so we’re luckier than you I guess?

10. Gardening with Aloha! on August 23, 2021 at 10:23 pm

It can be very frustrating like when i see a good looking pumpkin or cucumber only to turn it over & the darn fruit fly got to it! I think I’m gonna have to use those covers!😟TFS! Happy Holidays!🎄

11. Hydroponic Gardening & More with Brent on August 23, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Pests suck! My biggest problems are white fly, aphids, spider mites, squash bugs, and squash vine borers!
    Brent

12. Nicole Waterhouse on August 23, 2021 at 10:29 pm

What are the little ones that buzz around your fruit bowl then? As they are tiny and can surely get thru the net holes?

13. McDowall Manor on August 23, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Little buggers are even hitting my cherry toms at the moment.

14. Self Sufficient Me on August 23, 2021 at 10:30 pm

And, also the cherry tomatoes are too acidic – that’s my guess anyway Rob, because I’ve seen many signs of stung cherry toms with skins healed over and no maggot development inside. I agree exclusion is really the best way – I love your hoop house mate I have to build one of them one day! Cheers 🙂

15. wildchook (Mary) on August 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm

I am lucky I don’t have fruit fly issue s. Fingers cross tight …LOL

16. Southpaw Davey urban farm. on August 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm

We have one that took out half my plumbs two years ago. last year the late frost killed all the blooms on the plumb… But that might have knocked the fly population for six I hope ,-)

17. PW on August 23, 2021 at 10:31 pm

The apple cider/wine/rotting fruit fruit etc. treatment works for what many North Americans wrongly call fruit-flies. They are actually Fungus Gnats:

They have become a real problem here in Canada and also in the UK and many other countries thanks to the importation of tropical/warmER climate fruits. The vinegar etc. treatments work well for them – as does having a layer of sand/fine gravel etc. over the soil of ALL indoor plants (where they overwinter).

18. Sharandeep Singh on August 23, 2021 at 10:32 pm

good information

19. hussain mohammad on August 23, 2021 at 10:33 pm

hi bob .my gova trees fruit have same problen ,pls advice me what orginic spray i do thx

20. Pushpa Rajput on August 23, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Thanks share these important info ,I got my problem answer ,in my garden small pumpkin damaged

21. Benja's Uber 1337 Hobby on August 23, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Glad to see you have a way of dealing with these guys 🙂 What a pain though 🙂

22. Bob Stout on August 23, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Hi Rob
    Do you know if you can buy exclusion netting? I cover my veggies with bird netting when their young and wonder if you could do the same for the fly

23. dymondwillow2 on August 23, 2021 at 10:38 pm

ewwww

24. Baphomet Presidente on August 23, 2021 at 10:38 pm

2:52 there are couple of theories i seen: cherry tomato skin is too shiny for the fruit fly to get a firm grip. another theory is cherry tomato is too acidic for its liking so it tastes and dont like it and fly away. i will not go with skin is too tough theory. fruit fly can pierce thru pomegranate skin 😲

25. My Garden Classroom on August 23, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Thanks, very informative. I struggled growing kajari melon last year because of fruit fly too 😭.

26. Backyard Homestead on August 23, 2021 at 10:40 pm

That was disgusting to watch at the end there, lol! Thanks for sharing!! Very interesting.

27. justin g on August 23, 2021 at 10:40 pm

I lost all my tomatoes capsicum this year i had non last year…..

28. Magus on August 23, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Glad the fruit flies where I live only bother with rotting fruit.

29. Ray Selby on August 23, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Would be very keen to see how those excluders work mate…cheers, Ray & Kerri.

30. Robert Thomas on August 23, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Hi Rob, I had the same problem with tomato plants here in Manitoba, Canada, I found that if you plant your tomato in a row with a 2+1 system, two tomatoes and one dill plant, the dill will hide the smell of the tomato and the bugs will stay away from the dill. Plus you will have dill for pickles if you grow them down there, good luck and keep it organic! take care and Merry Christmas too you and your family, Cheer’s

31. ashemmeld99 on August 23, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Hahaha…Barry White ! Love it….

32. PhxtoNash on August 23, 2021 at 10:52 pm

those guys suck. I get a bigger fruit flies on my plum tree. and the evil white cabbage butterfly! other than that we’re lucky in Tennessee USA. if I have a major pest problem I can’t solve I simply grow a different plant with fewer problems. good video Rob

33. AA Home Gardening on August 23, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Informative as usual, thanks

34. Bud and Eva Rose on August 23, 2021 at 10:55 pm

we use neem oil

35. Jeanette Waverly on August 23, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Darn those little blighters! Yep, I am sufficiently grossed out now. 😉

36. Stibnite on August 23, 2021 at 10:58 pm

yep the bags are the only way i have ever stopped them .
    nice work
    cheers

37. Permaculture Homestead on August 23, 2021 at 10:58 pm

wow what an ugly insect, does it have any natural predators?

38. Rob Bob's Aquaponics & Backyard Farm on August 23, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Thanks for watching folks & don’t forget to click the subscribe button if you enjoyed the video. 🌱🌱
    Share the clip around with family & friends if you think they’ll enjoy it too. 👍
    Cheers all & have a top one. 😊

39. lifeinthailand on August 23, 2021 at 11:00 pm

We have some kind of fruit fly here, it is only hit and miss but they can do a lot of damage, I normally see them on my mango’s and eggplant.

40. Harry Chung on August 23, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Yuckie!!

41. Carol Ann on August 23, 2021 at 11:03 pm

I’m late starting my garden this year. I ended up planting all small tomatoes, except one. I also have cockatoos or galahs have a nibble last year. There’s always something!

42. David Hastings on August 23, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Hi Rob, love your work!
    We have plagues of fungus gnats down here (NSW), any tips?

43. QB Mac on August 23, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Look on the bright side, at least you get some protein intake when you eat your fruit now.

44. jakattah on August 23, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Read some time back that a female fruit fly needs to top up on nitrogen/protein before breeding. It is why you see females sitting on dog poo or any other kind. The paper I read used a chemical called putrescine. Some dog poo in one of the traps with some water may not seem very appetising but it is for female fruit flies. I tried it and it did seem to capture a lot of females but there were so many my fruit still got blown. The way to take out a species in nature is to take out the females. Releasing sterile males and pheromone traps targeting males is never going to do the job. Good for companies selling those though as they will never be short of business.I used to have a fig tree which never got attacked because it had chooks under it. Soon as the chooks were gone the fruit got attacked. It was a purple Turkish fig which was never a favourite so it was  eventually ripped out.The medfly here in WA is bad enough but the Qld fruit fly causes panic stations over here. They have given up on medfly and throw all their efforts at the Qld one.I do like exclusions and may look for sources.Thanks for all your info during the year. Wishing your family a Merry Xmas and all the best in 2017.Richard N

45. Bibian Agwang on August 23, 2021 at 11:08 pm

These flies have hut my water melon garden so bad..I lost over 309 water melons already..

46. Munirah Bakar on August 23, 2021 at 11:11 pm

We used to have a mango tree but it died due to a lightning strike. Had pests problems too but never identified what it was. Sometimes the larvae are small like the ones you’ve shown, sometimes as big as your pinkie finger (I’m sure that’s some type of beetle).

Not to gross out anyone but sometimes the fruits aren’t a total write-off, I’d just remove the part where the vermins had ruined and eat the other part of the fruit. Those would taste better that the fruits that are wholly unblemished.

47. Johnnie Gilchrist on August 23, 2021 at 11:11 pm

Wee bastards, tried everything you have pal, exclusion seems only chance here, got a few beaut Grosse lisse behind a net, will I get a big tom…?

48. Craig Donald on August 23, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Lost my peppers and tomatoes to these here in Malaysia

49. My Garden Classroom on August 23, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Can they sting through the exclusion bags?

50. cara barrios on August 23, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Hi. Do you know if fruit fly can affect passion fruit?