12 Fruit Trees that Thrive in the Desert with Little Care

12 Fruit Trees that Thrive in the Desert with Little Care

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ takes you on a field trip to Phoenix, Arizona to the home of Jake Mace where you will learn the top 12 fruit trees that can thrive in the desert with little care.

In this episode, you will discover the garden of eating that Jake Mace has created at his standard residential tract home in Phoenix, Arizona. You will get a tour of his edible food forest garden and learn about the 12 most important desert adapted fruit trees you can grow.

Besides some of the most desert acclimated fruit trees, you will learn about some of the more tropical fruits that Jake is growing in the form of “extra credit”.

You will also discover a few of the most important practices you must do to ensure your success growing fruit trees in the desert or other hot, dry, arid climate zone.

Finally at the end of this episode, John will interview Jake about some of these desert adapted fruit trees as well as talk about some good vegetables to grow in the heat. You will also learn about water and water conservation and how you can save more water growing your own food and eating lower on the food chain.

After watching this episode, you will have a better understanding of the best fruit trees to grow in the desert and how to make changes in your life to leave a lesser foot print on the planet.

Subscribe to Growing Your Greens for more videos like this:

Follow John on Instagram:

Watch all 1100+ GrowingYourGreens Episodes at:

Talk to John for 10 minutes

Related Videos:
Over 150 Fruit Trees on Suburban lot in the Desert

Best way to lose weight and get healthy is gardening

Exotica Fruit tree nursery

Check out Jake Mace at his garden channel at:

1. hendrico Roque on August 25, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Wow such success in planting farming

2. Tara Lalla on August 25, 2021 at 10:19 pm

8n my country we call jujube dongs which I love green.or preserved they are delish .I wish we had that variety you showed.

3. Moussa Raei on August 25, 2021 at 10:20 pm

On Esters

4. Sol Cruz on August 25, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Hello John, I am new in your channel, thanks for sharing this valuable information. I just started to garden our greens a year ago 🙏🏼 it has been a wonderful journey. Now I am planning to plant fruit threes, so this is formation is great for us 🙌🏼🙏🏼. Would you please help me with the avocados🥑 name? Thank you 🙏🏼 very much! Blessings 💫

5. anne creed on August 25, 2021 at 10:21 pm

Moringa or we called it malunggay here in the philippines. Leaves are very good vegetables add to a lot of dishes.while the fruits we cook also .leaves and flowers we add with monggo..so delicious and i love this dish

6. Kat kat TAROT and PARANORMAL on August 25, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Which ones can handle sudden hard freezes like we get in texas

7. Raymond Vaughn on August 25, 2021 at 10:23 pm

When I was taught evapotranspiration, it was amazing to me how much the soil loses to the atmosphere. Love you man!

8. Cherry Vel Pacheco on August 25, 2021 at 10:23 pm

thats moringa

9. Angelica Michelle on August 25, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Help i need trees that feed in galveston county Texas. t l

10. Fashion eye from the straight guy on August 25, 2021 at 10:28 pm

dude, i don’t really watch your videos because you talk about their whole life story. just get to the basics, we don’t need to know the story of the dinosaurs just say what trees do you really like talking that much?.

11. Chucky cheese on August 25, 2021 at 10:30 pm

When you wash your clothes in the washer let that water drain into your garden and its Pest control also paint the bottom of your trees white like they do in Mexico those two things will keep all the unwanted bugs away

12. claudia slover on August 25, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Phoenix is running out of water he better say goodbye to his pool and fill it with compost.

13. Chona Pineda on August 25, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Jujube are very expensive here in LA….THEY R SO DELICIOUS…THEY R EATEN WITH BROWN MARKINGS….A MATURE TREE WILL COSTS U COUPLE OF HUNREDS DOLLARS……IF U BUY D FRUITS IN ASIAN GROCERY STORES THEY R NOT RIPE N TASTE STALE N DRY… ..BUT IF U HAVE A TREE U CAN HARVEST THEM RIPE N FRESH…THEY R YUMMY N SWEET..

14. Walter Perez on August 25, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Sorry here in Australia we like you focus on which trees we do not suffer charlatans that talk a lot without coming to the point sorry you are a nice guy but BOORING 🤮🤮🤮

15. Mash on August 25, 2021 at 10:32 pm

He could just summarize the fruits on the description.

16. Tisha Arboleda on August 25, 2021 at 10:32 pm

Moringa is actually a superfood. Breastfeeding moms in the Philippines put moringa in soups on a regular basis for months or years while they breastfeed

17. Nancy Chang on August 25, 2021 at 10:35 pm

i love that this is such a long video with no ads i am in love with jake’s backyard. thank you for sharing your wealth of knowledge!

18. Tisha Arboleda on August 25, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Moringa is one of the few plants that is rich in Calcium , Vit A and Vit C

19. Jessiel Azaulá on August 25, 2021 at 10:41 pm

Yan ang solusyon para ma iwasan ang sandstorm…

20. liban muhidin on August 25, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Thank you very helping how to grow. I learned alot

21. Grafting Tactick on August 25, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Can’t be happier than doing something that you absolutely love, and this guy did exactly that 💕👍👌

22. Kathy Behzadi on August 25, 2021 at 10:42 pm

I live in Vegas and even rocks die here

23. Nina Luz on August 25, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Shame on you for having no knowledge of Our Lord’s Resurrection “Easter or Christmas” Unsubscribed!
    you know so much about His ‘food banquet’ and yet you know nothing about our Master, “Creator of Heaven and Earth, all things visible and invisible”

24. Joshua Pantoja-Lindsey on August 25, 2021 at 10:43 pm

I just have to point out some pretty contradictory thinking/overlooked aspects in regards to juicing:
    ~Fruits and veggies are the way they are (usually containing fiber, water and sugars) because they are perfectly digestible. Taking fiber out actually diminishes our bodies ability to process the sugars in them and they become stored as fats (this is a medically and clinically understood fact)
    ~The water in your juice is the same amount as the water already in the F or V, so not any benefit water wise.
    ~Back to the first point, phytochemicals aren’t more important than fiber, esp most peoples diets being very low in fiber already. In fact, you do yourself a disservice by not promoting the probiotics in your gut on top of it all
    ~You are also not as full drinking juice vers eating, therefore need to grow more, therefore need more water to grow……..and now we arrive at a huge point: despite trying to conserve water, in this way you are wasting more than you need to.

All I’m trying to say is: your core message is great! Grow and eat whole fruits and veggies!…….but just stop there! Doing anything extra to literally (process) them into juice gets you less out of it, not more.

I’m not trying to say "you’re wrong", just "look at it this way, maybe you’ll see that simple is better". Much love and suppport

25. Mehrdad yektaparast on August 25, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Can I grow any of these trees in central Texas since it’s very humid?

26. Tisha Arboleda on August 25, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Moringa iswudely eaten in thePhils and us responsible for the healthy poor people. Moringa is much more eaten in Southern Philippines where the Greatest Boxer of all Time, Manny Pacquaio is from.

27. joey joya joya alvarez on August 25, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Give me mesquites seed ,I have calamansi

28. Diana Klien on August 25, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Lawns keep the home cool, rocks radiates heat. Watering plants and lawns keep the water cycle going. When we had a lot of agriculture and lawns in our neighborhoods, we had wonderful, dependable monsoon rains almost every night. When the farm land was bought and used to make homes with rocks in the yard and parking lots and streets, guess what? Yep, seems like a heat bubble keeps the rain away. Other problems with rock yards, rocks. Rocks all over the sidewalk where children, wheelchairs, and adults trying to get exercise. Rocks that get thrown into roads, windows, at people. I apparently have a pet peeve about rock yards, but I will try to listen to why I clicked on this and that is about fruit trees that do well in the desert. 🙂

29. kong adong on August 25, 2021 at 10:47 pm

I have a flood irrigated 1 acre garden in Phoenix. I have all the fruit you mentioned. Here are the problems you will encounter here in Phoenix

Moringa….keep it dry or roots will rot in winter
    Figs fruit types sometimes ripen in the hottest time and rot and get bugs or are dried up, second crop doesn’t ripen
    Ju Ju Bee first crop is dry no taste. Second crop is better if it ripens
    Pomegranates don’t buy the Wonderful variety all you will get is a white kernel, pay more money for a better variety. be patient and wait until the fully ripen
    Bananas remove the flower after the bunch sets on and cover it to keep it from getting burned by the sun. I have had some good years and the small finger bananas did give nice fruit
    Guava put shade cloth to protect fruit from burning and birds. White guava is good
    Pineapple guava is a waste rarely sets fruit as there are not any natural pollinizers
    Cherimoya and Atemoya don’t set fruit unless hand pollinated. Fruit is burned needs to be covered
    Star fruit will set and be pollinated but is sensitive to heat and cold. I have eaten some fruit from my tree but it’s delicate
    Dragon fruit needs a tall Trussell and hand pollination. I have yet to see fruit after 10 years
    White Sapote will pollinate and give fruit, is hardy. Fruit is sweet but a little bitter. Protect from the sun
    Black Sapote will flower but fruit drops off so far
    Citrus….cant kill it always gives fruit
    Apples are usually sour
    Grapes are usually sour
    Guamuchile good but protect for the first few years from frost. Will be a big tree so plant in a big opening
    Tamarindo purchased from Shameless O’Leary and was supposed to be a cold hardy variety. Died the first cold spell. I’ve tried several varieties
    Apple Cactus or Peruvian Monstrosa varieties do well but seem to be a bit off in their flowering cycle. I have had good fruit though….protect from birds they love them
    Pecans do well deep irrigate.
    Apricots are a waste….bugs
    Peaches….bugs
    Artichokes do well and come back year after year
    Egg Plant does well
    Sugar cane does well second year. deep water
    Mango does well if soil prepared correctly. I Have a 20 foot specimen that gave alot of fruit this year and was delicious
    Avocado seems to always die with the heat. I will try again
    Papaya does good with heat but not cold. Use good loose soil lots of sun. I have gotten good results.
    Plums gave me good fruit but birds got to them
    jabuticaba is fighting to survive. Not much growth but so far is hanging on
    Dates need male and female trees. Does well but cover fruit to protect from birds. I have 4 in my yard
    Passion fruit was good but didn’t like too much heat….118 F for 2 weeks jeesh
    Pakistani Mulberry does great, should be commercialized in AZ. fruit is 6 inches long and tastes fruity. Can’t kill it. Other mulberries are small but better tasting especially the Black ones. They always get termites and are a mess
    Blackberries do ok but don’t like the heat short fruiting season

30. virgil leysner on August 25, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Bro u can eat the pods when they are dried up. Just blender the seeds after removing seedhusks and make your moringa protein powder

31. talkofthetown5 on August 25, 2021 at 10:50 pm

I’m five years late watching this vid. My husband is not much of a green thumb but he would definitely cook from any garden. It is obvious how young you guys are, needless to say, you guys really surprised or surpassed my expectations of the importance of growing and elevating your quality of life. Sorry though, I don’t thing I’d quite ever convert to vegan but I’m not averse to a lot of fruit and other plants. I will check your other vids.

32. chris byers on August 25, 2021 at 10:52 pm

My desert is at 6000 feet, this stuff not going to like the freeze.

33. Habib Allah on August 25, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Keep doin your thing dude. Your awesome 🤘

34. Myla Sayson on August 25, 2021 at 10:54 pm

so a lot of drumstick its my favorite

35. Jessiel Azaulá on August 25, 2021 at 10:56 pm

Mas masaraf pa ang tagbak at puso pusuan…

36. ten bears reef tank on August 25, 2021 at 10:58 pm

What a moron explaining to adults that you have to eat wow

37. Nick Trifilis on August 25, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Many years ago in my village in Greece summer time we feasted in the bushes and trees to day I ask the new generations about those bushes and trees with their fruits !!! They have no idea ( when mention the names of the fruits they reply,what section in the super market can they find them !!!!

38. Lan Uong on August 25, 2021 at 10:59 pm

It’s my w watching your channel. It’s Amazing! Thank you both of you for sharing.
    We live in Washington state, would you mind to give me any suggestions for planting some fruit trees and very veggies plant

39. Ahmed Morsy on August 25, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Nice video, most of these trees are grown here in the middle east esp dates, figs, pears and jojoba

40. A on August 25, 2021 at 11:02 pm

STOP YOUR YELLING!!

41. K Nelson on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Lawn don’t take much water. Just consistently, a short sprits in the morning and again at night. Just a quick sprits, short mist. People over water.

42. john peck on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

I can think of no better strategy for addressing climate chage

43. Joyce Monty on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Can cattle or sheep and goats eat the Moringa leaves and pods?

44. Christine Fiori on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Did you ever think that the tree’s shade is keeping lawn green?

45. Martin Peraro on August 25, 2021 at 11:07 pm

You have really good videos buddy thank you for teaching people

46. Angelita Punzalan on August 25, 2021 at 11:08 pm

I live here in Vegas, how should we protect this plants during winter. We have clay soil here. Thank you

47. Nandini .Pai on August 25, 2021 at 11:09 pm

We eat the fruit, leaves and the flowers of the Moringa tree in India. Very good for the eyesight.

48. Gabriel Vicente on August 25, 2021 at 11:09 pm

John, the moringa pods are good added in soup. Jake must be Asian or from the Philippines. Thanks for sharing your enthusiasm about planting in the desert or arid region. God bless

49. Urban Backyard farmer on August 25, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I love this channel, and now that I’m living in Arizona, this guys backyard is a dream for me!

50. Kukui Pupule on August 25, 2021 at 11:14 pm

nothing grows in a desert