NFT Hydroponics Basil Perpetual Grow Guide

NFT Hydroponics Basil Perpetual Grow Guide

We grow Genovese basil, Thai basil, Lettuce Leaf basil and Greek basil in an Aeroflow 18 hybrid NFT / Aeroponics hydroponics system using hydroton expanded clay balls and Flora Duo nutrients by General Hydroponics. We also take basil cuttings and root them in an EZ-Clone aeroponic cloner / cloning machine.

1. trethehunter on August 25, 2021 at 10:19 pm

So you don’t have a issue with rock wool staying to moist and causing root rot?can you transplant to a clay pot for soil later, if you wanted to sale a few plants?

2. Jeff B on August 25, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I saw someone with the 28 site setup, 7 plants x 4 rows.. he vegges for 14-21 days before flipping… how is he not causing an over flow? Confused me to say the least

3. trethehunter on August 25, 2021 at 10:19 pm

How far apart are your plants on your nft system?

4. Angela Radityatama on August 25, 2021 at 10:19 pm

I grow my basil outdoor and it grows well … until yesterday. But two days ago I cut some branches of basil plant and the next day it starts wilting. I thought the air temperature is too high (about 30 degrees Celcius) and the humidity is about 50-60% so I spray the leaves to increase the humidity. The electrical conductivity is about 1 mS/cm (500 ppm) and the pH is 5.8 – 5.9. What should I do to make it stop wilting?

5. Gabe Seidman on August 25, 2021 at 10:20 pm

Who did you get your lettuce leaf basil from?

6. maxbastards on August 25, 2021 at 10:21 pm

How long did it take your basil to grow true leaves after the seed leaves had come?

7. Matias on August 25, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Do you keep your NFT pump on a timer or do you just run it all the time?? If so, could I ask the watering schedule? Love your channel man.

8. tangobayus on August 25, 2021 at 10:22 pm

You may want to add trace minerals to improve the flavor.

9. JonnyRox on August 25, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Kratky basil….no fuss, no ph or ppm to waist your time! I have one in a 2gallon glass jar wrapped in foil that’s 26" tall sitting on a table in front of a window, I just rotate it every other day, more basil than me and my neighbors can use!

10. Brandon Pillon on August 25, 2021 at 10:25 pm

Another wonderful video from a great educator! Keep up the good work Everest!

11. john blakley on August 25, 2021 at 10:27 pm

i do kratky

12. Matthew Damoco on August 25, 2021 at 10:27 pm

This guy is hardcore…

13. Tom Elswood on August 25, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Great video. I really want to look into hydroponics – I’m moving into a city apartment. Where would you recommend I start with reading/watching and how much space/money would I need to start simple, e.g. herbs?

14. Chris Zano on August 25, 2021 at 10:27 pm

people that talk like this guy kill people at night

15. nerdling301 on August 25, 2021 at 10:28 pm

for $3,000 you can grow your own basil too!

16. Sebastian on August 25, 2021 at 10:28 pm

If this about (cost) efficiency, I wonder if it really is that great a setup. Initial cost, electricity for light, rotation, pump. Then the noise from the pump.

He can do as he wants to but would be cool of these videos praising this method and kind of setup would factor that in (talk about it) as well if es intended to inspire home growers

17. stulander on August 25, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Most annoying voice ever

18. trethehunter on August 25, 2021 at 10:30 pm

man you talk to fast to learn anything

19. Oliver Ross on August 25, 2021 at 10:34 pm

There’s loads of criticism on this vid. Do what you love to do fam. Nice basil, btw, looks tasty.

20. ikm on August 25, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Question… i have changed the nutrients in the reservoir, after 8 hours the roots got stained brown i dont this its root rot can be?. should i do something about??? ph 5.8 ppm 800, basil krakty method 1 gallon reservoir. I left the same gap between the roots and level of water it had before water change.

21. dusty rhodes on August 25, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Spending $10 on $5 worth of basil?
    I use the hydroponic that doesn’t require electricity, and grow it by window sill.

22. Bill B on August 25, 2021 at 10:38 pm

I have a tip! Stop making hydroponics so hard and expensive for yourself. My hydroponics system is much easier to maintain.

23. Nick Vellios on August 25, 2021 at 10:39 pm

3m 28s. What is a millisemen?

24. Daniël Kievit on August 25, 2021 at 10:40 pm

Your channel is amazing!!! Thankyou! The information is so useful and your enthusiasm is awesome!!!! Keep it up!!!

25. Farseer1995 on August 25, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Hi +Everest Fernandez Great guide for growing basil! I have a question though, instead of NFT, could I grow basil and possibly cilantro in an Ebb & Flow system? I would just used those huge rockwool blocks and plant the seeds in those.

26. carolcheny on August 25, 2021 at 10:43 pm

What is that specie of basil you are saying that grows easily?? i can’t hear it. Great basil? what is that?

27. Roman Alijev on August 25, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Great videos dude,

Do you mind if I ask – is there a difference between using rockwool cubes you use vs. actual rock wool – the one used for insulation of walls… are those contains same minerals etc…. believe it or not rockwool cubes for plants are very difficult to find/ship in some countries 🙂

28. KK on August 25, 2021 at 10:44 pm

What about the returns on investment on all the equipment and electricity costs?

29. Stuart Moncrieff on August 25, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Everest, I thought seeds hated light? Some tutorials I see state that seeds should be left to pop in darkness, your were left under a grow light. Do different seeds have different requirements?

30. Jons LG on August 25, 2021 at 10:48 pm

You should do a real NFT setup someday to compare the two, with the slope to spec and, most Important thing in an NFT that I see nobody use: A CAPILLARY MAT!! Thank you for your vids and info, always appreciated.

31. Rustastic on August 25, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Totally lovin they style of your instructional videos Buddy. Not sure if you are better at growing hydro or making super cool vids. Well done.

32. vidyashankara on August 25, 2021 at 10:50 pm

I have basil growing in my hydroponic system. I feel like the leaves are much more tender and flimsy and not crunchy like the ones that grow in soil. They still hold their shape and look good but thin and flimsy to touch. How do I fix that?

33. Ojo Aereo on August 25, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Hi I got a Nft with basil ; mites and white flies are ATTACKING them and in desperation I spraid a DiY solution made out of Hot Pepper, Garlic, Black pepper balls blended in alcohol then diluted in water. The NfT is shared with oregano, rosemary, mint, kale and cilabtro. The basil started by curling the edges and then burnt tips to now burn halfway the leafs ; the rosemary is fine ; the orengano got a bit burnt but after flushing and cycling just water for 24hours things are looking better. I am new to this ; I am not sure even if it was the solution or if it was the plage or if it was a lack of nutrient because of plagues ; what do you think?

34. ikm on August 25, 2021 at 10:54 pm

WHAT ABOUT KRATKY METHOD?

35. Nathan P on August 25, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Them crocs

36. Sarita xd on August 25, 2021 at 10:57 pm

I’ve been researching into home aquaponics and found an awesome resource at Keiths Ponics Site (check it out on google)

37. King Compalionso on August 25, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Oh yea she read my comment

38. dusty rhodes on August 25, 2021 at 11:01 pm

I see no economic benefit growing basil your way. I just put a basil cutting in a jar of water, and my basil grew like weeds. Cost? Less than $1 a year.

39. Duane Willis on August 25, 2021 at 11:03 pm

I planted three trays of genovese basil (seeds from johnny’s selected seeds) in 1.5" rockwool using grodan trays and propagation covers with heat mats and under T5 lights. I have done everything just as you described in your video except that I presoaked the cubes in 4.8 ph water since that’s what my well water is. I precharged the water I soaked the cubes in to 300 ppm floraduo A&B. Temps are in the mid 80’s and humidity is in the upper 90’s. Seeds germinate in four days and by day seven or eight they are 1.5" tall but then stop growing. By day twelve some of the leaves are even dropping off. Any idea on what I’m doing wrong here?

40. J C on August 25, 2021 at 11:05 pm

wait wut you just cheated and replaced with clone cuttings? why? what did you fuck up from your intial settings? slow down and say stuff that matters wtf

41. killfistr on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

great speed of video, normally people just ramble for 20 min!

42. Carla Buccianti on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

too hyper for me…. I could not "follow" what you were saying…soryy 🙁

43. markuskiner on August 25, 2021 at 11:06 pm

can i ask: how much is your electric bill? 😀

44. Ikarus Airway on August 25, 2021 at 11:07 pm

I always have muld on my soil/rockwool.. What can I do? 🙁

45. RecipesForDisaster on August 25, 2021 at 11:07 pm

To the point info, great video mate. I need to up my hydro game!!

46. Jeff B on August 25, 2021 at 11:11 pm

Pow! Here it is!

47. firebirdTA on August 25, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Crocs.

48. Robert Nguyen on August 25, 2021 at 11:14 pm

How many seeds per hole for basil?

49. Nick Burke on August 25, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Hey man, recently discovered your channel and really impressed. Im a big chili pepper fan/grower in NZ and looking to do a batch of superhots via indoor hydro. I notice you grow a lot yourself, would you consider a video on some ofthe specifics around growing chillies via indoor hydro? Id be interested to know what kind of spacing you can get away with and their nutrient requirments, Cheers for the videos.