A Very Versatile Plant: Star Jasmine Care & Growing Tips / Joy Us Garden

A Very Versatile Plant: Star Jasmine Care & Growing Tips / Joy Us Garden

Star Jasmine can be trained to grow on a trellis, over an arbor, as an espalier against a wall or fence, as a border plant or hedge, to spill over a wall & it’s also suited to containers. The sweetly scented star-like flowers along with the gorgeous glossy foliage are its big draw.

Check out the post for more care tips & to see beautiful pics: https://www.joyusgarden.com/how-to-care-for-grow-star-jasmine/

How to care for Pink Jasmine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZ81G4i3x8
———————————————————————————————————
THE JOY US GARDEN WEBSITE: http://www.joyusgarden.com
THE JOY US GARDEN AMAZON SHOP: https://www.amazon.com/shop/jugarden

Sign Up For Our BI MONTHLY NEWSLETTER: http://www.joyusgarden.com/newsletter/
KEEP YOUR HOUSEPLANTS ALIVE : https://amzn.to/2sErxdf

MY GO TO PRUNERS (which I’ve Used For Over 30 Years): https://amzn.to/2K6GGNn
MY GO TO FLORAL SNIPS: https://amzn.to/2IxTqPs
MY GO TO POTTING SOIL: https://amzn.to/38KiVWU
———————————————————————————————————–
MY BUSINESS: JOY US GARDEN
This is where I share all things gardening & creating. Let’s get out in the garden & make the world a beautiful place!
YOU CAN CHECK IT OUT AT: http://www.joyusgarden.com
SOCIAL MEDIA MADNESS
Connect With Me At:
Pinterest: http://www.pinterest.com/JoyUsGarden/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/JoyUsGarden
Twitter: https://twitter.com/JoyUsGarden
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/joyusgarden/
————————————————————————————————————-
This video isn’t sponsored & all opinions are mine. This video & post contain affiliate links, which simply means I earn a commission if you purchase through those links, but your price remains the same. Thank you for supporting Joy Us garden!
————————————————————————————————————
This twining, vining plant isn’t a true jasmine, like Pink Jasmine which is, although the flowers would make you think otherwise. The botanic name is Tracelospermum jasminoides & it’s in the same family with a few plants you might be familiar with: oleander, plumeria, adenium & vinca. By the way, Confederate Jasmine is another common name for Star Jasmine.

Things to love about Star Jasmine:

It’s versatility.

Easy to maintain. It’s manageable & takes pruning very well.

The foliage is a beautiful dark glossy green with the contrast of spring green new foliage.

You can find it in garden centers as well as big box stores. In case you don’t have any close, there’s a link to where you can buy Star Jasmine online in the blog.

This plant come in a variegated form too if that’s your thing.

And of course, the sweetly scented flowers.

I love this plant & am so glad that my new home has a well established one.

How to care for Pink Jasmine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtZ81G4i3x8

1. tucsonbadboy on August 27, 2021 at 10:04 pm

Star Jasmine does attract lots of bees to the very fragrant flowers, so maybe not a good choice for anyone allergic to bees.

2. Mary Aldrich on August 27, 2021 at 10:08 pm

Hi, I live in San Antonio. I was wondering what it’s the care for this plant in the winter. I would love to see you do pruning too. 😁 Thank you.

3. Laquan on August 27, 2021 at 10:08 pm

How many years did the juvenile plant take you to achieve your beautiful arch?

4. Ron Gonzo on August 27, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Hi there, love your video. I just finished building my pergola, and was looking for a vine like plant to start and grow. I live in S. Florida, so looking for something that provides shade, and easy to care for and you convinced me to go for the jasmine, until the end of your video, and I saw your pergola covered with a beautiful vine….what kind of vine is that???? Do you have a video of it so that I can research? Absolutely love it.

5. Martin Cruz on August 27, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Hi, does this plant like bees?

6. Nene G on August 27, 2021 at 10:12 pm

keep it pruned and its beautiful on an arch. star jasmine is confederate jasmine, they are the same thing. fast climber, and smells great. great plant for bringing the pollinators.

7. Divyanshi Singh on August 27, 2021 at 10:16 pm

Hi!
    First of all, beautiful video!
    Secondly,
    I want to plant this plant in containers, alongside the railings on my terrace. It gets full sun from 10 am to 2 pm, plus light sun until evening.
    Would this grow to cover the railing and drop down, so as to create a nice foliage or cover for the walls?

8. Maria Alvarado on August 27, 2021 at 10:19 pm

My Jasmine is not doing well. It has full sun. We are in Las Vegas, NV. New leaves are coming out, but they don’t last. The leaves turn brown rapidly and eventually fall off easily. Any suggestions on what I can do to help it?

9. praneel pets are my passion on August 27, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Please tell me how to grow from cutting

10. Minnu on August 27, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Super

11. Doug Miller on August 27, 2021 at 10:22 pm

I really enjoyed your vidio. How do you propogate this plant? I live in Durban, South Africa. His plant grow really well here.

12. rusty nail on August 27, 2021 at 10:23 pm

I just bought 7 of these plant to create a hedge. What is the "spacing" between each plant?

13. COD CHANNEL on August 27, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Wow Amazing Nice Jasmine Flowers

14. Hamid Sabir on August 27, 2021 at 10:24 pm

I wanna train it onto a wall thats 10ft high and 18ft wide. How many star jasmines would i need for the job? Plus, i can’t get a trellis because the area is too wide so I’ll be working with wires. How should i run them? Vertically, horizontally or both? And how far apart should they be?

15. Mt.Union Honey Farms on August 27, 2021 at 10:25 pm

They smell so good. Just got one for Honeybees. Should give the Honey a nice taste and smell. my fencerow also has, Carolina Jessamine, Native Honeysuckle, Clematis and Mandevilla. Good to see people planting things that look after pollenators:)

16. Christine Corcoran on August 27, 2021 at 10:26 pm

How do I make a frame or arch for it? I want to grow it around my front door area

17. Ullib kante on August 27, 2021 at 10:27 pm

thanks for not replying any question.

18. Chi Sexton on August 27, 2021 at 10:27 pm

We had a winter storm in Texas (Zone 9a) this past February, and my star jasmine mostly died (foliage at least). It is done in a kind of squared arch around our front doorway. Glad I found this video, in case I need to cut it all down to remove the frost damage and regrow it.

Did you make a curved wire hoop trellis for the arched one you walked under? I did not see that. Thank you.

19. Priscilla Araiza on August 27, 2021 at 10:29 pm

who gives a fuck about pink jasmine

20. Sarka Leli on August 27, 2021 at 10:29 pm

Hi can we use the star jasmin us tea?

21. Alejandro Basaldúa on August 27, 2021 at 10:29 pm

3:44 How do you make it grow as a groundcover? It just grows like that or you have to attach it to the ground in some way? I’ll appreciate if someone can help me.

22. Rachel Arroyo on August 27, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Can you overwinter it for a zone 5 climate?

23. Anna Mamo on August 27, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Our Jasmine is also a five star but not a pinwheel- it is the most fragrant of all Jasmines and very very rare- in fact I’m growing them myself http://www.maltawildplants.com/OLEA/Jasminum_azoricum.php

24. Salim Khan on August 27, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Hi there … thankyou its awesome video nice jasmine …. i live in Mumbai & i wanted to buy this plant from you …. please tell me how watsapp + 919892185026

25. Myriam Sarria on August 27, 2021 at 10:34 pm

I bought jasmine with little leaves I haven’t found videos with this variety

26. Penny McIntyre #HTD4LIFE on August 27, 2021 at 10:34 pm

I am not sure if you would answer my question seeing as this was posted in 2017, but I bought a star jasmine, and it is tied to a tiny trellis. I planted mine in the ground with the tiny trellis. I want to untie it from the tiny trellis and train it to climb my columns. So, how would I do that? Do I need to tie each piece to the column or will it grow towards it? Please help? I love my plants and want to make sure I am taking the best care of it that I can. Thank you!!

27. PALMtrees Rus on August 27, 2021 at 10:34 pm

Could you explain why my Jasmine leaves are turning yellow? I got it last week in Fontana California and moved here to Las Vegas Nevada. I have not transplanted it yet I was giving it time to acclimate.

28. Genner-Vincent Hodgson on August 27, 2021 at 10:36 pm

I started a star Jasmine and dwarf rose terrarium, and while the bud and roots from the rose is growing just fine, I can’t tell with the jasmine cuttings. It’s quite moist almost like a rainforest(fed with filtered water every three days) but the temp in my room is around 72-75 degrees and the glass gets colder than that. The soil drains well and the moss inside is very happy(started growing overnight with bright green fern-like extensions and spreading seeds), but the jasmine hasn’t quite sprouted or may not even be rooting.
    I’m worried for it, but there’s plenty to cut from in my backyard where I can start again

29. Mary Baker on August 27, 2021 at 10:38 pm

i im watching you vido and i have one thank you for the info on it i would like to see how you prune it i have it in a pot thank you

30. Meredith on August 27, 2021 at 10:42 pm

I planted one jasmine plant 30 yrs ago on my chain link fence and it still is beautiful and smells so good when in bloom. It requires so little in care, and has given me so much joy. I think the birds nest behind it , also. After 30 yrs. it has outgrown the area and has blackberry brambles growing through it. Thanks for letting me know it will take hard pruning. I want to cut it back and clean it out but I don’t want to lose it – one of the best things I’ve ever planted.

31. Hoppi The Pug on August 27, 2021 at 10:42 pm

Woof woof! I just bought these… they smell so good.

32. Mandy Rogers on August 27, 2021 at 10:43 pm

How long would star jasmine likely live in a large container?

33. Amanda on August 27, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Most informative!

34. Larry Sawyer on August 27, 2021 at 10:44 pm

I’m outside of Phoenix and I was thinking of creating a trellis along the block fence we have in our backyard. The 2 sides walls would only get sun for part of the day. The rear wall is north facing, so it will get full sun. Will the star jasmine be ok or should I look for another vine type plant to cover my walls with?

35. Carolina Pinilla on August 27, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Hello, thank you so much for your video. I am in England Essex, I planted this beautiful plant nearly two years ago direct into the soil next to an arch to hopefully clim over it. It has grown but has climbed up to less than 4 feet. I have put some food plant and compost around it a few months ago. It is situated in a sunny spot in my small garden but as you can imagine here could be quite cold most of the year, but now is summer and my plant looks absolutely stunning but I wonder why is so small or if I meant to be doing something I am not doing to help it grow. Thank you

36. HUMMER MUSIK on August 27, 2021 at 10:45 pm

what type of fertilizer you use for confederate Jasmine ? Please let us know

37. Arpit Patel Happy Journey on August 27, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Nice information

38. David Welty on August 27, 2021 at 10:48 pm

It can be crazy depending on where you live. I’m in Florida and our hot humid summers cause it to grow up to 6 feet a year.

39. qing yuan on August 27, 2021 at 10:48 pm

My jasmine vine faces west and it is in front of my front door, it grows only on its foliage but no flower maybe one or two this year, do you know what might be the reason?

40. Cliff DaRiff on August 27, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Pruning for a vine?

41. Damaavand Alborz on August 27, 2021 at 10:50 pm

Please less of talking.

42. Darshan B Akki on August 27, 2021 at 10:54 pm

Mine is 27 feet tall

43. Matt Vu Electric on August 27, 2021 at 10:54 pm

THANKS

44. Pari Eb on August 27, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Does it attract bees, my aunt told me jasmine trees attract bees

45. Chelsey Elqadi on August 27, 2021 at 10:58 pm

My jasmine looks dead starting over the winter. I’m in Mississippi and planted them April 2019. No leaves on the plants. I figured they would bounce back when it warmed up. However, I just scratched the bottom stems to check for green. No green, but they do have a little moisture still. They look like they are barely hanging on. Any advice on what to do? Is this normal? Is there any hope for them?

46. Marney Cohen on August 27, 2021 at 10:58 pm

I have one indoors, bought it last year, cut it back now its growing fuller and very green… is it an outdoor plant?

47. Undercover Gardener on August 27, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Do you think it could be planted in 2 foot by 20 foot granite wash in front yard and grow along the ground?

48. Mona Azodi on August 27, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Hi! Thanks for the video! What does yellow leaves indicate?

49. Meko Williams TV on August 27, 2021 at 10:59 pm

I really like watching her videos. Very informative.

50. praneel pets are my passion on August 27, 2021 at 11:00 pm

How to grow from cutting