How to Grow a Raised Bed over Cement or Asphalt & more Organic Gardening Q&A

How to Grow a Raised Bed over Cement or Asphalt & more Organic Gardening Q&A

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ answers your gardening questions. In this episode John will answer the following questions:
1. Can you help me install a raised bed garden in my front yard?
2. What do you know about growing a raised bed garden over cement or asphalt?
3. Where did you get all your gardening knowledge? Do you recommend college for learning about gardening?
4. Can putting humanure (human waste) bring back diseases like leppers?
5. Help! My compost tea is breeding mosquitos?
6. How do you add soil to your raised bed if you have perennials growing in there?
7. We have black aphids on our cherry tree do you have any thoughts on what we can try?

After watching this episode you will learn John’s answers to these gardening questions and probably a little more as well.

Be sure to subscribe to be notified when new videos are posted several times a week.

1. JackVaca on August 28, 2021 at 10:12 pm

Tell RM that MSU in Mich has awesome degree programs and also grows and sells their organic produce.

2. micasaverde on August 28, 2021 at 10:12 pm

To avoid mosquitos in the rain barrel, compost tea etc., I just put a piece of mosquito netting fabric on top and fasten it down with an elastic or string. Then the mosquitos can’t get in to lay their eggs.

3. WeCreateOurStory on August 28, 2021 at 10:14 pm

Humanure systems remain one of the most compassionate ways to global health in the fact that it largely reduces the demand for fresh water (hence the futuristic and present "water wars"), which is the world’s most precious commodity following sunlight. Composting toilets also take debris, when mulched, away from incinerators and drastically reduces the demand for the manufacturing of synthetic chemicals for water treatment. I DO NOT recommend putting fully composted s%#* on your food plots.

4. Teresa Fawkes on August 28, 2021 at 10:15 pm

John, that first one was trying to get to meet you. Come on man!

5. Jayden Brumous on August 28, 2021 at 10:15 pm

just go to woodprix if you’d like to make it yourself.

6. brian may on August 28, 2021 at 10:19 pm

John I first saw your videos a few months ago and have been addicted ever since. You’ve inspired me to grow my own garden and to use azomite. I built my first raised bed 4 by 12 and it looks pretty sharp. Do you consider yourself vegan? Another reason I watch a lot of your videos is because I was born and raised in sonoma country in windsor mostly. You seem very wise and I will continue to watch your videos. Hopefully my wife and I will be able to see you @ the SR fair, thanks Brian and Laurie.

7. GLFH on August 28, 2021 at 10:20 pm

John, tell the Maryland asphalt farmer to contact Real Food Farm
    2801 St. Lo Drive, Baltimore, Maryland 21213 (online & Facebook), a consortium of urban growers with raised beds, roof beds, in-ground, and over asphalt production. Urban dwellers (even in the SWATs) are growing our own.

8. The Crafty Witch on August 28, 2021 at 10:21 pm

loads of tips ty 🙂

9. vesperal2 on August 28, 2021 at 10:22 pm

Dude you do good work in the world. Your using your life right.

10. sharkl11 on August 28, 2021 at 10:24 pm

Am I the only one who eats salads while watching John’s videos?

11. Bren Haas on August 28, 2021 at 10:24 pm

I love your videos!!!

12. imbonnie on August 28, 2021 at 10:24 pm

regarding college — glad I went too but I recall being in college and wishing I could be done so I could start learning the things I wanted to learn.

13. QuebecOffroading on August 28, 2021 at 10:27 pm

hey john, was wondering about planting cedar trees along a fence, in a raised bed style…the problem is along the fence is nothing but concrete, so i was wondering is i could build a raised bed along the fence in a box style along the fence and just lay some anti-weed fabric along the cement at the bottom?

14. Mr Deanings on August 28, 2021 at 10:27 pm

I am eating chicken soup !

15. Sunny Rain Ecostead and Studio on August 28, 2021 at 10:28 pm

Looking forward to seeing your videos from South Florida.

16. DOS UNO on August 28, 2021 at 10:29 pm

NA. I am not new. I am not knocking John, merely stating facts. I love watching grow your greens.

17. Myrryha Weiss on August 28, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Hate aphids and spider mites !!

18. WeCreateOurStory on August 28, 2021 at 10:35 pm

(cont.) However bamboo loves that SH*T!

19. vidme131 on August 28, 2021 at 10:36 pm

Thomas Edison said: "The doctor of the future will give no medicine but will interest his patients in the care of the human frame, in diet and in the cause and prevention of disease." Hello? The future is HERE, NOW… Growing and eating live, fresh, organic and home fermented foods. All the leaders of this movement are the real doctors! They also have healed themselves first! BLESS you, John, and the others! Amber, LA.

20. Kim A on August 28, 2021 at 10:36 pm

A good man is hard to find. Especially ones that does gardening and health wise.

21. Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens on August 28, 2021 at 10:36 pm

to clarify, Its my opinion that ALL animal manures should be fully composted before being used in any garden.

22. diavolu28 on August 28, 2021 at 10:37 pm

Hello my friend. Please, please buy a HD camera. Thank you very much. I love you channel btw.

23. vidme131 on August 28, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Correction: JAMA’s article was about the leading 3 causes of DEATH! #3 iatrogenic! I say that #1 heart disease and #2 cancer are also iatrogenic for the reason stated in my earlier comment!

24. S Ann on August 28, 2021 at 10:42 pm

yes, I’ve also heard that it has to be dry in order to be effective. I’ve read that it is still effective, but only after it dries up again.

25. Murali Addala on August 28, 2021 at 10:43 pm

On a non levelled concrete floor I want tp raise 18 inches raised bed and I am looking for simple drainage solutions. Please help me. I live in Toronto Canada and this is inside a greenhouse. Thanks in advance.

26. Cameron Scharnberg on August 28, 2021 at 10:44 pm

11:21 when you start talking about how pure your turds are, that amused me quite a bit

27. vidme131 on August 28, 2021 at 10:45 pm

The JAMA (Journal of the American Medical Association) in 2000 published that the 3rd top disease, after heart disease and cancer was iatrogenic (caused by doctor’s activity, manner or therapy)!!! In my opinion, the top 2 are also iatrogenic because they are treating symptoms instead of educating people of the CAUSE! The origin of the word doctor meant teacher! So anyone who teaches people how to be healthy, heal, what is causing them to be sick is a doctor. John YOU are a doctor!

28. Like Kane on August 28, 2021 at 10:46 pm

"My Manure", it’ll be the title to my biography 😉

29. DOS UNO on August 28, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Animal manures have been used for decades now. Im sure it is not a result of cancer.

30. Dayna McGuire on August 28, 2021 at 10:48 pm

You said "add compost tea and roctis (??)" How is this "roctis" word spelled so I can look up what it is? Thank You.

31. Teresa Fawkes on August 28, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Crap like this is why John stays single! Because he’s very cute and has got it going on for himself. But he doesn’t notice when women are interested.

32. Raising Creativity on August 28, 2021 at 10:52 pm

thanks for addressing my question about aphids

33. yadada mean on August 28, 2021 at 10:53 pm

I want to grow some lettuce in my own shit sorry it soo weird. Couldn’t help myself.

34. Travels of the Heart on August 28, 2021 at 10:54 pm

If we build a raised bed over concrete, how do we stop them from leaking out under the walls?
    Is it just a matter of making sure they’re really flush with the ground? Or do they need bottoms?

35. Vincenzo Vincenzo on August 28, 2021 at 10:54 pm

You must be new to John’s channel. Welcome! Watch some of his other 798 videos and you’ll see John is very passionate about growing clean, eating clean, and being as healthy as you can be.

36. max fire on August 28, 2021 at 10:55 pm

great video john!

37. Andrew Walker on August 28, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Hi John this is second video that is very bad film is starting seed coconut coir vs I through it was me but I now think it is your camper

38. Stephanie Bradley on August 28, 2021 at 10:56 pm

how do you grow grass on old lava

39. yadada mean on August 28, 2021 at 10:56 pm

I eat mcdonalds everyday how do think my turds are?

40. John & Bob's Smart Soil Solutions on August 28, 2021 at 10:57 pm

A real gardener with curiosity and helpful insights. Keep it up, I’m impressed.

41. U WUT M8? on August 28, 2021 at 10:59 pm

light to dark within 10 mins. crazy!

42. glockman1727ak47 on August 28, 2021 at 11:01 pm

You can in fact use human waste. You will need to wait one full year until it is safe. see Permies forums. Paul Wheaton place.

43. Sharon Campbell on August 28, 2021 at 11:02 pm

I just wanted to ask you a couple of questions.
    My back garden is completely concreted, I would like to plant some flowers, shrubs, and vegetables.and maybe some medium sized trees that are grown here in England.
    I would like to go with the idea of some raised wooden sleepers.
    What would I need to do as well as what would I need to know to achieve this.

Please  help

44. vidme131 on August 28, 2021 at 11:03 pm

John you should be awarded an Honorary degree for your thorough practice and knowledge in food gardening!!! And for all free and generous help you donate to all! THANK YOU! Amber, LA.

45. vida130 on August 28, 2021 at 11:05 pm

I have some raised beds and want to plant but they are full of grass and weeds. Whats the quickest and easiest way to get rid of these so I can start planting? Thanks

46. Pastor Volcano on August 28, 2021 at 11:07 pm

I have a question? Are you a native canadian or native american?

47. Vee Solo on August 28, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Hey John, have you ever visited Boston Massachusetts when the Spring flower show come to town? I think you’d bring a wealth of knowledge and many including me would come to a seminar featuring your tried and true information.

48. DOS UNO on August 28, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Has ‘faith’ in ‘god’ but lives off of the EARTH…hmm

49. MrsGlorya86 on August 28, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Thank you for this video, I was wondering about growing over concrete also and this really helped 🙂

50. Learn Organic Gardening at GrowingYourGreens on August 28, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I would agree, in the hot summer the soil can get too warm depending on the crops that are being grown if you dont have a sufficient amount of soil in the bed. Contrary, in the winter time, the thermal mass of the concrete will be a good thing to warm the beds up.