How to Make Hoops for Raised Beds (4 Ways)

How to Make Hoops for Raised Beds (4 Ways)

Hoops in your raised beds can help make gardening success easier. Gardener Scott shows how to make four different types of hoops using four different materials. From low hoops to high hoops, your plants can be protected. Garden hoops will support row cover fabric, shade cloth, hail cloth, plastic, and bird netting. Watch to see how to make hoops that are only 16 inches above the soil and hoops that are more than four feet high using poly tubing, PVC pipe, metal conduit, and cattle panels. (Video #98)

Link to:
Pipe/tube cutter: https://amzn.to/2MXPlab
Plastic sheeting: https://amzn.to/2r1lBQp
3/4″ Tube Straps: https://amzn.to/2TUKSYv

You can help support the GardenerScott channel in three ways and it won’t cost you anything:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.
2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.
3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

It doesn’t cost you at all, but it helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

As an Amazon affiliate I benefit from qualified purchases.

1. Rebby on September 5, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Thanks 😊

2. Fat Puppy on September 5, 2021 at 11:00 pm

The cattle panel is 16 ft by 50 inches. Given that the average bed is 8 ft long, do you cut two pieces to cover the length of the bed?

3. BriarDan on September 5, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Can I spray paint the pvc with a uv resistant paint? The cans they have for plastic outdoor furniture? Would that give the pvc hoop a longer life?

4. Linda Johnson on September 5, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Thanks for the video on hoops. QUESTION: how do you anchor your cattle panel hoops in the garden beds? I get extremely high winds at times here so am wondering if their weight is heavy enough to keep in place?

On a separate note, I now have a rabbit and chipmunk problem in my gardens. I see your beds are two boards high. Is that high enough to keep them out? Do you have any such critters running around your garden? My cat was a good hunter and his presence was enough to keep them out or they were eaten. Well, he died last fall. I don’t want to get another. So looking for another solution and love the idea of trying to use hoops and fabric to keep them out.

5. Katie Leflore on September 5, 2021 at 11:08 pm

This was really helpful. Thank you so much !!

6. Mandie Garrett on September 5, 2021 at 11:09 pm

May I ask how you connect the cattle panel to the side of the wood board base? Thank you.

7. Eva Johnson on September 5, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Very informative! Thank you for sharing!!

8. Colleen Wallace on September 5, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Have been looking for alternatives to the hoops available in stores and catalogs. I’m happy to have different options now and can’t wait to get busy making my 1st set. This year the deer have an insatiable appetite for my tomatoes!

9. mohaned salim on September 5, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Very courageous thanks a lot

10. Robert Shorthill on September 5, 2021 at 11:12 pm

I work at a farm/ ranch supply outlet. A cattle panel measures about 50". A hog panel is 34". The length is 16 feet. Easily cut with bolt cutters. The price should be around 22 bucks each. Ask if there are damaged panels that can be had for less. Our store always has several damaged panels waiting to find a good home in a garden bed. They will usually let you pick through the defective selection as they are rejected by ranchers. Cheers, good people. Bob

11. CranexDragon 77 on September 5, 2021 at 11:14 pm

I used metal conduit but used a conduit bender instead. A little tedious i admit but that was before this video

12. Monica M. on September 5, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Dear G.S. Peace. Would you mind if I emailed you some videos/ pictures of my garden. I have some questions where I need to refer to pictures. I understand if you say no. Family time is more important.

13. Carl Duffin on September 5, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Netting is fine until you see a dead bird which has got in but couldn’t find a way back out and you are directly responsible for its death. No nets for me – not any more.

14. liz lord on September 5, 2021 at 11:21 pm

This was so helpful, thank you! I just salvaged tension tent poles (the kind with the shock cord inside) from an old leaky tent for my hoops, but was struggling with how to anchor them in the bed. I’m going out to buy pipe clamps/straps this second!
    For people using PVC hoops, OklahomaGardening had tips on using PVC clamps or a cut section of old garden hose to secure your row cover to the hoops. πŸ™‚

15. Charles Roberson on September 5, 2021 at 11:22 pm

I have a PVC canopy that’s 3/4" x 12′ x 6′ x 6′ and it’s 22 years old. PVC practically lasts for ever

16. Swedish Auto on September 5, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Easy listening, good voice and volume control. No unecessary flare or self promotion. Great simple cages shared with your fellow gardeners. Amazing. Thank you for this video, it inspired me to make my own.

17. manslayer1972 on September 5, 2021 at 11:22 pm

I want a gardener Scott. Because frankly I have no idea what I’m doing in the garden!

18. Carbon Dating Series on September 5, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Hi Scott, you showed making a 6ft. cattle panel, but is a 10 ft. cattle panel useful for a 8×4 raised bed? Thanks for your informative videos!

19. danniekins on September 5, 2021 at 11:26 pm

I’m going to try the pvc method with the rebar. My crops are being attacked by green monkeys.

20. Dominique Ramirez on September 5, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Thank you for this video! πŸ™‚

21. william van rooy on September 5, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Great video! Learned a lot of new stuff I did not know could be done with PVC. Comment about the sun light resisting outdoor type conduit makes sense. Prior to watching this video, I watched another video on how to stake down the 3/4" PVC using 1/2" metal conduit instead of rebar.
    Reason for this was that a 24" piece of rebar cost close to $2.00. A 10" section of conduit would save money when cut into 5 pieces each 24" long.

22. Mike Finley on September 5, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Really enjoyed this. Questions … How long does bird netting hold up , more than a season and … Does it also work as a shade cloth?

23. kadyfong on September 5, 2021 at 11:28 pm

Thank you for taking the time to make this video! Is the poly tubing same as irrigation tubing?

24. 12jalley on September 5, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Do you have a link for that shade cloth at the beginning of your video?

25. Marc Shaykin on September 5, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Just saw this. Great!! One question, I want to use this for a cold frame. What material do I use to cover my greens during a Chicago Fall and Winter? If Plastic? what thinckness?

26. Steph Jacobs on September 5, 2021 at 11:30 pm

Nice!
    Could also use ratchet straps to do a controlled bend of the cattle panel!

27. Church One Alpharetta on September 5, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Thank you! This was most helpful.

28. Susan Rodesky on September 5, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Thank you so much for all this information and the demonstrations! I just finished a few raised beds and couldn’t decide on how to add animal and bird-proof hoops for netting. This video gave me several choices that I can use. Excellent video Scott!

29. Scott Reid on September 5, 2021 at 11:35 pm

You can also use schedule 80 PVC instead of schedule 40 PVC. Schedule 80 PVC is more sunlight resistant than schedule 40. Don’t use the metal version because it will just rust in the dirt.

30. Carrie Harris on September 5, 2021 at 11:36 pm

I used a tire that was on the rim to bend my conduit hoops

31. Daniel Simon Leyva on September 5, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Do you mind posting a link for that conduit bender ?

32. Daniel Ashby on September 5, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Man Scott you’re awesome. Best video on hoops thank you!

33. Meow Meow on September 5, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Love your videos, everything you post is educational and helps me out a lot (I’m new to growing my own food). How far apart did you space each hoop, though? Your beds are 4′ wide but are the hoops placed every 2′ or so? I’m trying to plan out how much material to buy for my own beds! Thank you

34. Nino Grandjean on September 5, 2021 at 11:43 pm

I am really having a hard time, with the PVC Hoops in my Garden. Its a Garden that has very limited protection from wind. Is there any good way to properly, install netting (for cabbages), on the PVC hoops?

It blows off everytime, after a storm.

Maybe someone in the comments knows πŸ™‚

Thx

35. Nikotromus on September 5, 2021 at 11:43 pm

How wide are your garden beds?

36. Mr.AaronD Phillips on September 5, 2021 at 11:44 pm

Thanks much more cost effective and better options I appreciate it.

37. J on September 5, 2021 at 11:45 pm

What length are the hoops?

38. B. Bailey on September 5, 2021 at 11:46 pm

great video; I learned a lot. Do you have any videos on building half-hoop or semi-hoop houses? thanks. I scrounged a bunch of pvc grey 3/4 electrical conduit and hope i can use it for this purpose. my bed is 4′ wide but i thought with the "back" wall straight i would need less of a bend and i’m not that strong or young. πŸ™‚ It already has fittings on the end as if it was used for something like this before. it’s only about 7 or 8 ‘ long though.

39. Jenny White on September 5, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Ok

40. Binh Minh Pham on September 5, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Thank you!

41. Sophia Brown on September 5, 2021 at 11:47 pm

If i got some cattle panel for hoops would the wood and twine method be a good way to make it sturdy also if I did the 10ft length for taller plants?

42. valeria de macedo baylis on September 5, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Cattle panels good for runner beans brilliant ideas πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

43. F Bart on September 5, 2021 at 11:50 pm

I have a roll of concrete reinforcing material. Coming in rolls it’s easy to transport and I just cut off what I need and don’t end up with odd sizes I can’t use. Also works great for tree protection from deer and harsh weather.

44. Kitty Cat on September 5, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Mr Scott, thank you! I am new to homesteading, but last year (and partially this year so far), I’ve lost SO many crops to stupid cabbage moths and even bunnies. I tried to put together some mesh cages but they were clunky and not very easy to work with. This video has been such a lifesaver, I love all of your advice, and am getting ready to head to Lowe’s to pick up material and try again. Thank you so much <3

45. nessay720 on September 5, 2021 at 11:52 pm

With the cattle panel. Do you secure it to the garden raised bed with anything?

46. Julie Elise on September 5, 2021 at 11:52 pm

This is so helpful! Thanks a ton!

47. Bill Snyder on September 5, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Great video going through the options Scott. One thing I would suggest is using gloves whenever cutting with a utility knife. This is is a much higher risk than the other activities where you wore them, so I expect this was just an oversight, safety while gardening is important. I use 1/2” emt, it is a little cheaper and plenty sturdy enough for garden hoops. I made a simple bending jig from a piece of 3/4” plywood with a hose clamp strap to hold the end, all things I had on hand and paid nothing for when benders were running $80. I got this idea from a video and glad I did. As another idea you can stop the bends at 90 degrees and make half hoops with a longer arm I use for 4’ beds against a rail fence, and the 4’ hoops you made cut exactly in half after bending work perfectly against a house with a 2’ bed, and I use short pieces with a coupler to increase the height for taller flowers like sweet peas there.

48. Sharon Plumb on September 5, 2021 at 11:53 pm

This video was super helpful! We made cattle pannels for vertical climbers and they are fabulous! We also made PVC hoops for alliums and brassicas. We ran into trouble using lighteight 10′ wide row cover from Johnny’s that was too narrow to make it all the way over. We ended up having to double up the fabric to make the width. It’s not easy to find wider than 10′. What do you recommend and where do you get it? We aren’t looking for insulation at all so would rather go with ProTek but it is so pricey and sold in lengths not useful to home gardeners. Thoughts?

49. Adrienne Burroughs on September 5, 2021 at 11:53 pm

I’m curious about the stick mulch (I’m assuming) that was in one of your beds. What’s that about?

50. AA AA on September 5, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Put dr beam to connect the hoops on the bottomside/inside of the hoops. That way the plastic touches everywheren on the hoop and fits much better.