$23 DIY Planter Box

$23 DIY Planter Box

Get your free 7 day trial to Audioblocks! http://audioblocks.com/Nilsandkatrina_0617

Learn how to build a great looking Planter Box with less than $23 of materials! This large, sturdy planter box is perfect for adding some color to your porch or some fruits and vegetables to your garden. You’ll need some basic saws and tools for this – specifically a table saw or circular saw, as well as a mitre saw/chop saw. A brad nailer helps but is not required. You’ll also need a handful of screws and a drill.

COMPANION ARTICLE AND PLANS:
Get the plans for this planter box as well as some additional info over at:

SPONSOR:
This video is proudly sponsored by AudioBlocks, where you can get a free 7-day unlimited download trial of their over 100,000 tracks, songs, loops and sound effects – all royalty-free. Check them out at http://audioblocks.com/Nilsandkatrina_0617.

PRODUCTS IN THIS VIDEO:
• DeWalt 12-inch Dual Bevel Sliding Compound Mitre Saw: https://geni.us/ooee
• Skil Table Saw: https://geni.us/BKAX
• Cedar Pickets: https://goo.gl/v9k8Vj
• 2×4: https://goo.gl/YFvSGF

TWO FREE AUDIOBOOKS!
To get two free audiobooks from Audible, just follow this link: https://goo.gl/QGFC4Q

EQUIPMENT:
Learn about the equipment I use (audio, video and lighting) over at http://lrn2diy.com/my-gear/

1. Mr Fred's DIY Garage School on September 8, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Great little project! I like this design a lot!

2. Catherine Walton on September 8, 2021 at 11:07 pm

cedar pickets of the same size are 10$ where i live, already at 90$ a minute in. probably a combination of inflation/shipping/exchange rates/covid 🤷‍♀️. looks great but definitely won’t work out to $23 for me 🙁

3. James McDonald on September 8, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Built it today. It turned out pretty well. I am happy with the first one but I feel I can do better. A couple of things; when attaching the siding boards make sure you go from the top of the box. When I split the top cap board it was 2 3/4 inches for the 45 degree cut.

4. Todd Beeby on September 8, 2021 at 11:08 pm

$23 for wood, $2300 for tools 😆

5. bat man on September 8, 2021 at 11:09 pm

that 2×4 now in 2021 is 8 doll hairs

6. Joey M on September 8, 2021 at 11:11 pm

This box now cost $100 to make lol

7. Casey Bedford on September 8, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Looks good. I’m curious how well the 18ga brad nails hold up in that environment though

8. cubmaster1028 on September 8, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Sweet video. I’ve been using 5 gallon buckets with holes in them this looks a whole lot better than buckets!

9. Phil Baker on September 8, 2021 at 11:21 pm

You couldn’t buy 9 cedar pickets for $23, even 5 years ago

10. mina bankova on September 8, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Ok, I’d need professional equipment for thousands of dollars to build this one. Very helpful, thanks.

11. Frank Markovich on September 8, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Todays lumber prices, it is now like $95.

12. Omar E on September 8, 2021 at 11:22 pm

The measurements are wrong if you end up following his instructions. At 2:05 he says you need 6 pieces, but if you pause at 2:15 and count the pieces there’s 6 1/2 pieces he needed to add more since the frame was too large like I’m running into.

13. cklec on September 8, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Commenting in 2021 when that amount of lumber is worth a semester of tuition

14. Cheryl Clarke on September 8, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Why it is so hard to make a box? Smh…

15. Steven on September 8, 2021 at 11:24 pm

Oh, to find a 8-ft 2×4 for $3…

16. BG HDTV on September 8, 2021 at 11:25 pm

June 2021 $23 now $123 because Lumber prices are high

17. Ninja Kid V2 on September 8, 2021 at 11:25 pm

how do you get the measurements for cutting the wood

18. Rajat Dua on September 8, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Did you stain the exterior?

19. Rosemarie Riley on September 8, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Thanks so much for the quick and simple answer to my planter box question.

20. Espresso Veins on September 8, 2021 at 11:29 pm

The subtle Mountain View flex is my favorite part of this whole video 😂 801 represent!

21. Espresso Veins on September 8, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Dang I need a Brad nail gun it looks so crisp

22. gabrielsktang on September 8, 2021 at 11:30 pm

You made it look so easy! I have finally acquired a mitre saw and a table saw. planning to try it this this week. Would like to know if anyone have any feed back about the longevity of the woods and nails after a few years. Great video!

23. Qua Qua on September 8, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Fast forward 4 years. It’s 2021 now and we’ve been hit with covid. This $23 project is probably around $200 now. The price of wood is through the roof.

24. metatech on September 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I like this design and the materials. Though I think I would do the drainage differently or make it self watering.

25. Alejandra Macias on September 8, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Half way through and realizing my husband still wouldn’t understand this. I’ll just buy one 😂 awesome video !

26. James on September 8, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Planter boxes absorb more water than plastic, that’s a consideration for places with water conservation. Cedar is a softwood, and is tricky to plane evenly if you hand cut. If your bottom boards are uneven, it’s drain ready. Wood planter boxes can be heavy when filled, consider using rope handles. If you’re using a wood planter in hot sun, you’ll need to shade it, mulch a thin layer of straw, add ice, and use leftover cooler water to keep the soil moist. Ice water, and cubes does not affect plant root growth in hot sun.

27. RaynaS S on September 8, 2021 at 11:33 pm

I need a very expensive saw and some more skills.

28. Becky Roque on September 8, 2021 at 11:36 pm

What size screws did you use? I’m a newbie at building stuff. I bought the long ones but I think I need to learn the diameter of screws lol! I missed the part of adding the 4 inch legs below so mine is stumpy on the ground, but not bad, I just realized why my boards were not fitting! I learned a lot building this! Thank you!!

29. Jayson Asher on September 8, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Plans don’t add up. Six 5 1/2” pickets = 33” and the frame is 36” that’s a 3“ difference. So with 6 planks each plank will be about 3/5” apart from each other. Your video makes them look like they’re 1/4” to 1/3” apart. What am I doing wrong?

30. Chris Tauchner on September 8, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Thanks for the video! Any ideas on the best way to sit the planter on the edge of a patio that is 2-4" higher than the surrounding ground? Since the frame is the lowest point of this design, it’s not like 2 legs can be longer than the other two, and the box will definitely be crooked without compensating for the height difference.

31. Hammond Miers on September 8, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Nice, nice, very nice. However, you can make it better. Just google Stodoys and learn how to do it easily.

32. Todd Broome on September 8, 2021 at 11:39 pm

The side length dimensions are too short in my downloaded pick list. I caught the error and cut them to 19". Otherwise, cool design and spent the day with my 8 year old son. I love the planter box. The legs are not too well supported. Trying to figure out how to shore them up

33. Shaun Haley on September 8, 2021 at 11:39 pm

23, 23, 23

Imagine those illuminati numbers

34. Mike Merc on September 8, 2021 at 11:39 pm

I ripped down 1”x 5.5”x 8 weather shield planks / boards into 3/8”x 5.5” and used 1-1/4” brand nails….. should I screw them down to the frame (2”x2”) or will that be over kill
    Oh btw I’m water proof gluing everything … everything

35. Road Runner on September 8, 2021 at 11:41 pm

I’m going to try to build one of these. Very nice.

36. Chris Zeien on September 8, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Simple trick, use 2 x 2s. Always a pain to rip a stud in half.

37. Rajat Dua on September 8, 2021 at 11:45 pm

What kind of liner did you use?

38. Robert Brown on September 8, 2021 at 11:47 pm

23 dollars for wood plus how many thousand for tools , cheaper to just buy one

39. Guerio G. on September 8, 2021 at 11:48 pm

$25 not in 2021 with today’s out rages Lumber prices in CA.

40. Nana Muffin on September 8, 2021 at 11:48 pm

This size would cost €100 to make in Ireland

41. Juan Flores on September 8, 2021 at 11:49 pm

The wood necessary for this project is not under $23. I ended up paying almost twice as much.

42. Francis M Hall on September 8, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Great video, but it’s only $23 if you already own the expensive machinery

43. Tony Nickolas on September 8, 2021 at 11:51 pm

Nice flip flops

44. John Chapman on September 8, 2021 at 11:53 pm

The measurements were all off.

45. miaoling88 on September 8, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Thank you so much for the tutorial! I built it this weekend from reclaimed deck boards: https://p198.p4.n0.cdn.getcloudapp.com/items/4gunl4WO/84f53840-b6dc-4390-8934-71f4ae75170e.jpg?v=53fddb8bc33da8c35e42c5d1cd112759. I love it so much! Can’t stop looking at it 🙂

People, there are table saws being given away for free on Facebook. My table saw was free. My lumber was free. Find a way, not an excuse!

46. Joshua Tejada on September 8, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Liked and subscribed within 10 seconds strictly because the flip flops💪🏽 now to learn! Haha

47. Clark Honzik on September 8, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Any issues with using a treated 2×4? Just wondering if it’s an issue having green treat wood in a planter box where plants are growing? Perhaps the plants do not like green treat?

48. Kris Anderson on September 8, 2021 at 11:56 pm

This box now cost a grand in materials 🤣🤣🤣

49. J Sol on September 8, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Did you use standard brad nails and screws? Hows it going with it? Its holding up just fine with the moisture?

50. Darnell Sproul on September 8, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Full help with projects on the Stodoys website.