How to Dry Garden Herbs (No Electricity)

How to Dry Garden Herbs (No Electricity)

Drying your fresh herbs is a great way to preserve them and very easy to do. Learning how to dry herbs from your garden is as simple as exposing them to air. Gardener Scott shows two easy methods that he uses to dry garden herbs without using electricity. (Video #217)

Herb storage jars:

You can support the channel with Gardener Scott merchandise like T-shirts and mugs at the Gardener Scott Store: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w/store

Click this link to SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCWsI0LmiDyezbnN2JCL4P9w?view_as=subscriber?sub_confirmation=1

To order a GreenStalk vertical garden system, click on this affiliate link:
Use code”GARDENERSCOTT” for a $10 discount.

You can help support the Gardener Scott channel in five ways that won’t cost you anything extra:

1.) Be part of the community by liking videos, subscribing, clicking the bell, commenting, and sharing.

2.) Watch the ads whenever you can. It just takes a few seconds and helps me a lot.

3.) If you use Amazon and want to buy anything at all, click through with this link: http://www.amazon.com/?tag=gardenerscott-20

4) Check out Gardener Scott’s Recommended Gardening Books at: https://bookshop.org/shop/gardenerscott

5) Click on this affiliate link to get Audible books that you can listen to in the garden: https://amzn.to/3jEHrys

Your support helps me pay for plants, gardening supplies, and all of the other costs associated with running a YouTube channel.

Thank you for your support!

#EnjoyGardening #GardenerScott

Links included in this description and referenced in videos might be affiliate links. If you purchase a product or service with the links I provide, I may receive a small commission. There is no additional charge to you for those affiliate links and your support allows me to provide free content every week on the Gardener Scott channel. Thank you!

1. Jacquie Super on September 8, 2021 at 10:44 pm

Great. I just hung some sage oregano and rosemary today. I love doing that. The fragrance is wonderful coming up my stairs.

2. Sandra Newkirk on September 8, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Thanks i can’t wait to get mine done.

3. carpe diem jonah on September 8, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Thanks Scott. This video is so timely…
    All afternoon, I was wondering if their might be a simpler, or easier, way to do this. This afternoon, before I came in and saw your video, I had just harvested a huge basil bush. I rinsed outside with the spray hose set to “flat.” Then wrapped the stems in the same yarn that I use in the garden beds to hold up plants.
    In our previous home, our attic was a perfect place. Easy access, and dry heat throughout the sunny days. It smelled nice up there.
    In our present home, I may be hanging them in the garage. Or in a guest room that is not used much.
    The garage advantage, it gets a lot of dry heat in the daytime. And one entire side is just used for storage. No chemicals. But I am concerned about the parking of my car. I rarely shut the garage door until the air has had a chance to clear out. I also keep a large fan set up to easily assist with air clean out as well as circulation. Your comment on something I may not have considered?

4. jim k on September 8, 2021 at 10:47 pm

Great tips! I have a small hand held coffee bean grinder that is terrific for taking some of those herbs and converting them into a powdery form.

5. damattice23 on September 8, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Great vid as always!!! I’m hoping to do a lot of this next year.

6. Steve Valk on September 8, 2021 at 10:51 pm

Thank you Sir. I will be sending my herbs to my kids for Christmas.

7. Jay Dixon on September 8, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Your video is just in time for a lavender harvest at my home.
    I appreciate your willingness to share your love of gardening, detailed instructions and calm demeanor.

8. Daaven on September 8, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Love your videos Scott. I’d love to see you collaborate with MIGardener from Michigan. I think you two are kindred spirits.

9. Norman Schmidt on September 8, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Your methods are simple. Your explanations clear. Thank you so much for sharing with us.
    God bless you 🙏

10. John Carrell on September 8, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Thank you for this video.

11. carpe diem jonah on September 8, 2021 at 11:01 pm

Scott, when drying food on newspaper is there a risk of picking up some heavy metal, such as cadmium, from the ink?

12. Momma J on September 8, 2021 at 11:06 pm

13. Jeanie Malone on September 8, 2021 at 11:07 pm

As an educator, I sincerely appreciate your video format, content, and narration. You truly are a gift to the gardening world and the world in whole. Thank you for sharing your expertise and simple, smart sense methods accessible to and accomplishable by the rest of us who aren’t master gardeners. I grew my first herb garden this year on a small space and have greatly benefited far beyond my efforts and small investment. I am ready to dry some herbs and really appreciate your video showing us all the necessary information and handy options for drying. I cannot express how impressive and effective are your methods of teaching us to garden. I am in zone 7b but have recommended your channel to my daughter in Denver, Colorado in zone 5. If once it is safe from COVID you host live classes or workshops, I would know she and her husband would love to attend.

14. Leyna Abbey on September 8, 2021 at 11:08 pm

It’s humid enough, where I live, that those herbs with heavier moisture content, I hang individual stems. I repurposed a LARGE peg board just for this reason.

15. Julie Pizzolato on September 8, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Have you experimented with the ice cube method? Awesome and helpful video as usual! 🌿💚🌻

16. Leonard Davis on September 8, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I use the heat of my car. you car gets hot sitting in the sun, I bag them in paper bags and put them in for about a week and they are dry. Plus my car smells good.

17. Al Dente on September 8, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Was surprised when my wife dried the mint on the hood of the car. It dried very quickly in the sunlight. It was completely dry within 4 hours.

18. Pink on September 8, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Have you ever dried garlic? We use the powdered garlic from the store. Is this practical to make, or maybe dry minced garlic? Thank you!

19. Loriful on September 8, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Now i’m having flashbacks of my most epic garden failure, drying a bushel of catmint in the drier. It clogged up everything and the cat was running through the hallways along the walls like a racetrack.

20. Ted Silverman on September 8, 2021 at 11:14 pm

as usual good explanations. You can also unfold a paper clip to hang the loop on with the hanger.

21. Carlos Alonso Couto on September 8, 2021 at 11:19 pm

First like yeaaahhh

22. Green Vlogs on September 8, 2021 at 11:19 pm

An effective way.
    Thanks for sharing sir.👍

23. Scott Head on September 8, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Nice video Scott. Have you had any success air drying dill? The stems are so wet and succulent I’m not sure it will work well. Curious if you have some ideas.

24. Linda Johnson on September 8, 2021 at 11:23 pm

My thyme, oregano have bloomed. Can I still harvest the herbs? If not, can I cut the herbs back and then when they regrow (if they regrow?) then harvest???? Do you ever get more than one harvest off your herb plants?

25. Jennifer V on September 8, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Thank you! I’m going to try this.

26. Linda Davidson on September 8, 2021 at 11:27 pm

I read somewhere that air drying keeps the flavor more concentrated than dehydrating. Any thoughts on this? Great video! Thanks!

27. Oak Knob Farm on September 8, 2021 at 11:29 pm

I like your tying technique. I’ve always made the entire bundle and tied around it. (And some would drop out occasionally). Great idea.

28. R Cook on September 8, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Just chopped my pre-98 bubba and am definitely looking to enjoying my herbs.

29. Sandy G on September 8, 2021 at 11:31 pm

I use rubber bands for my lavender bundles. Then I hook a paper clip under it and hang up the bundles. There’s no slippage as the stems dry out and shrink.

30. Charles Stock on September 8, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Thanks Gardener Scott, got a bunch of Rosemary, Thyme, flat leaf parsley, cat mint and lemon balm to dry. Also have a lot a mountain mint and hairy wood mint in plantings in yard, but will dry them next season. Best to you and yours.

31. Lorraine Daliessio on September 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Lots of flowers on my mint should I leave them on the stems and include them in the dried parts?

32. Heidi Clark on September 8, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Thank You for this video on drying herbs. I was out in my garden starring at my beautiful basil plants thinking how they will be gone in a few weeks. Well because of your wonderful video, I will cut and dry them. Thank You again.

33. KimiyeML Smallgardendream on September 8, 2021 at 11:33 pm

Lovely. I hang dry my oregano and rosemary all the thyme. ❤️❤️❤️

34. Mammacass on September 8, 2021 at 11:33 pm

My herbs did not grow. Can I do this with store bought herds

35. Lorraine Daliessio on September 8, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Can I hang them in a window?

36. FlobKing on September 8, 2021 at 11:37 pm

I hang mine in front of our kitchen window over the sink, good air flow and smells great.

37. Simplify Gardening on September 8, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Great video on preserving herbs, Scott. great advice

38. R B on September 8, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Thank you!

39. Scott Aloha on September 8, 2021 at 11:39 pm

Thank you ,Scott! I was just wondering what to do with all of my basil leaves i get when i prune. Never thought that I would say this, but i can only make so much pesto. I have enjoyed sharing it with friends and family and propagating it. What a great idea for a video!

40. Barbara Perry on September 8, 2021 at 11:41 pm

That was awesome! Thank you.

41. Melinda on September 8, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Saw a video, once upon a time, that showed someone taking the larger leaves off by sticking the stem through a hole in a colander, pulling it through, and having it remove the leaves for you. This can be done with fresh ones too. Your video reminded me and thought I’d share.

42. Anita McIntosh on September 8, 2021 at 11:43 pm

Do you have any recipes for vinegarettes?