July Vegetable Garden Tour | Growing Food In Alaska

July Vegetable Garden Tour | Growing Food In Alaska

After putting our sawmill to use and building a flower planter box for our new garden entrance, we give you a full tour of our high tunnel and outdoor garden area.

With the short growing season in Alaska we focus on high production and preserving what crops we grow. July, however, is a month of abundance and we can harvest fresh food each day while still ensuring there is enough produce to preserve later in the season.

We take a quick peek at our mini orchard to see how the fruit trees and flowers are coming along this year.

We appreciate you tagging along for our Alaskan adventure ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you for watching and supporting our channel! ๐Ÿ’™
– Eric & Arielle Illia

๐’๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐€๐ฅ๐š๐ฌ๐ค๐š ๐ฆ๐ž๐ซ๐œ๐ก๐š๐ง๐๐ข๐ฌ๐ž ๐ข๐ฌ ๐ง๐จ๐ฐ ๐š๐ฏ๐š๐ข๐ฅ๐š๐›๐ฅ๐ž! ๐’๐ก๐จ๐ฉ ๐จ๐ฎ๐ซ ๐„๐ญ๐ฌ๐ฒ ๐ฌ๐ญ๐จ๐ซ๐ž: https://www.etsy.com/shop/SimpleLivingAKTieDye

Music By Epidemic Sound:
You Might Learn To Fly (Instrumental Version) – Solomon Elwes

Visit our Amazon store to see the products we use and recommend:

Our Amazon affiliate link if you wish to support our channel: https://amzn.to/2Xi9CvE

Products used in this video:
Down to Earth Bio-Live: https://amzn.to/3lwOIod
Down to Earth Bio-Fish: https://amzn.to/3fwxsfb
Down to Earth Bone Meal: https://amzn.to/3jntQxc
Sony A6400 Camera: https://amzn.to/2SkMXho
Draw Knife: https://amzn.to/3AdpkrK
Collapsible Sink: https://amzn.to/3rWBdzj
DC Electric Fence Charger (25 miles): https://amzn.to/2WMi3Li
10 Watt Solar Panel Charger: https://amzn.to/2KV7IKX

You can also support us through PayPal at: https://www.paypal.me/SimpleLivingAlaska?locale.x=en_US

Don’t want to miss an episode? You can ๐Ÿ…ข๐Ÿ…ค๐Ÿ…‘๐Ÿ…ข๐Ÿ…’๐Ÿ…ก๐Ÿ…˜๐Ÿ…‘๐Ÿ…” here: http://www.youtube.com/c/SimpleLivingAlaska

Our most popular playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yscm4F1pA&list=PL5dzTsBM4zzBbhZowW6uMJD8mdTts66EN

๐Œ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐…๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐’๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐€๐ฅ๐š๐ฌ๐ค๐š –

๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘’: https://www.simplelivingalaska.com

๐น๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘˜: https://www.facebook.com/SimpleLivingAlaska

๐ผ๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘š: https://www.instagram.com/simplelivingalaska/

๐‘๐ž๐š๐œ๐ก ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฎ๐ฌ –

๐ธ๐‘š๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘™: simplelivingalaska@gmail.com

๐‘€๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘™:
Simple Living Alaska
PO Box 506
Willow, AK 99688

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

1. joanne miller on September 8, 2021 at 10:26 pm

i loved this vid !! iv not been in my garden all year i just can’t get down the steps at the moment this made my evening to see everything so lush . my veg garden is just weeds this year the wildlife loves it tho . thanks from uk

2. Scott O'Keeffe on September 8, 2021 at 10:26 pm

Kohlrabi is also really good in kimchi.

3. Guy Pellerrin on September 8, 2021 at 10:27 pm

How come there is so much dead trees on your land ?

4. Dawnie Rotten on September 8, 2021 at 10:27 pm

With some of your green tomatoes (at the end of the season), make Green Tomato Relish. BEST EVER!!

5. retkvi on September 8, 2021 at 10:27 pm

Do you also grow coriander? I recently found this spice and its really good to almost everything.

6. Andi Sinclair on September 8, 2021 at 10:28 pm

You can freeze your green onions too. Thatโ€™s what I do.

7. Lloyd Coleman on September 8, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Love your garden! I like weeds for tea and condiments as well. You have chosen some delicious and nutritious ones for your tea. Lambs quarter is one of my favorites. Thanks for sharing your vlogs.

8. Neneth Love Jesus on September 8, 2021 at 10:31 pm

Is it okay to just cut trees there? And are the trees belongs to your property? ๐Ÿฅฐ thanks for answering in advance.
    Btw i love your channel

9. Kay Phillips on September 8, 2021 at 10:34 pm

My grandpa was a logger. I would be his helper when he took down a tree on our property. Cutting down the tree is just the beginning. You have to trim off all growth, (takes forever) then use a tool to Debark it, and then you can build with it!!

10. Victoria Bryce on September 8, 2021 at 10:35 pm

I love growing lots of bunching onions because I dehydrate them for soups and topping meals in winter lol

11. Doug Crawford on September 8, 2021 at 10:39 pm

If you take your logs that yous using for fence posts. Burn the bottom half of then and it keeps the bugs from eating them and rott

12. Steve Osborn on September 8, 2021 at 10:39 pm

If most of your allโ€™s gardening is for storage and winter what do you all eat in the meantime? Lol

13. Kory Wittman on September 8, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Ash, or popular. Nothing to acidy

14. Kory Wittman on September 8, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Microbial activity at its best when you add all those ingredients that I have talked about before. Just good for thought. Want you two to have the best garden!!!

15. jmy on September 8, 2021 at 10:43 pm

I was really impressed with your potatoes and the carrot you pulled up.I’ve done a lot of gardening in Illinois , but my potatoes didn’t do well got a couple good ones per plant , the rest we called marbles . You scub them good and make mashed potatoes , delicious but alot of work ! Enjoy your videos ,I hope someday to get to Alaska , more for fishing and I’d like to look for some gold, but fishing would be the main thing.Hope to see more videos ,it’s a much different place , it’s beautiful up there.

16. Jay Thompson on September 8, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Sooo happy I found ur channel ๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž๐Ÿ˜Ž

17. Leon Castro on September 8, 2021 at 10:45 pm

That garden looks awesome ๐Ÿคฉ. But if you need high hydrogenโ€ฆdivide your garden in micro-environment, because if you treatโ€™ll high hydrogen may damage the growing of other crops.๐Ÿ™‹๐Ÿปโ€โ™‚๏ธโ€ฆ 22:46 the first spell of flower nameโ€ฆ ( I think was the right one ) ๐Ÿค”๐Ÿ˜

18. Linda Justice on September 8, 2021 at 10:46 pm

Beautiful cucumbers! What variety are they? Are they a pickling one?

19. Kory Wittman on September 8, 2021 at 10:47 pm

And decomposing wood fron dead trees on the ground that has aged a few years. Your garden soil will be full of activity

20. Kae Irena SLP on September 8, 2021 at 10:48 pm

This was awesome to watch! Coolest couple ever!! Love how they work together. Arielle is an amazing gardener- so inspiring! โ™ฅ๏ธ

21. Marina Kramm on September 8, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Love to see you

Behind you i see some plants
    Ivan Chai
    It’s good for Tea

22. AnAbortiveRomance on September 8, 2021 at 10:48 pm

You can use green tomato’s, besides as fried green tomatoes. An elderly friend of my parents used some of the green tomatoes we gave them to make a Green Tomato Apple Pie. It was delicious. Tomatoes are technically a fruit, and when green and tart can work well in deserts. I got the recipe from the lady, and made it a few times myself when I had access to green tomatoes. I know it sounds strange, but really good. It’s basically a slightly modified caramel apple pie recipe that adds raisins and green tomatoes. I’d also guess you can use them in your salsas, as the flavor profile is probably pretty similar to tomatillos.

23. joanne miller on September 8, 2021 at 10:49 pm

well rotted chicken poop and bedding makes fab fertiliser

24. sultana minu on September 8, 2021 at 10:49 pm

I like this garden very much

25. Aaron D on September 8, 2021 at 10:50 pm

New subscriber here. I’ve watched a few of your videos. The trees are pretty hard to kill. Them catipliers could be a good snack for your chickens. ๐Ÿ˜ keep up the good videos.

26. Russ F on September 8, 2021 at 10:52 pm

_’Ground shifting’_ I wondered about that with a lot of the things you guys do. I’m not sure what part of Alaska you’re in, but it’s a pretty active state for ground movement. I guess there’s ‘trade offs’ for everything.
    BTW? I don’t see any ginger in your garden. Do you guys use it?

27. Alexander Laukkanen on September 8, 2021 at 10:53 pm

Veerrry nice garden! I love how Arielle refers the plants as " I ". That tells us everything about how precious it is to Her and Eric. Keep on living, not so simple, but rewarding life in Alaska. And Big Thank for this channel!

28. susie kinlock on September 8, 2021 at 10:53 pm

I am dying to know what you use on your plants to keep the bugs, worms, and critters away. Everything looks amazing!

29. jmy on September 8, 2021 at 10:54 pm

How do you get asperagus to spread, I planted 6 root clumps I bought and they said it takes 3 years. A few come up in spring but there never spread to get a crop, some plants you have to dig them up and break them into say 4 clumps and replant but I’m afraid of killing them . They are 20 years old now and I have less than I started with.They look nice in the fall when they grow out and turn golden brown.

30. Liza Rausch on September 8, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Your garden is so wonderful! All of your hard work really shows! A tip from Germany, where we eat a lot of kohlrabi: traditionally, theyโ€˜re just cut into strips and cooked in salted water for five to ten minutes, then weโ€˜d make a roux with butter and flour, and make a light gravy with the kohlrabi water, milk or cream, and just salt, pepper and nutmeg. Very common to eat the kohlrabi like that with potatoes (or mashed potatoes) and meat balls (โ€žFrikadellenโ€œ) or meat loaf.

31. Dawnie Rotten on September 8, 2021 at 10:58 pm

You really should have burnt the bottom of those posts. Now, you’re going to have to replace them again in a ‘few’ years. Rule of thumb…..if putting wood in to the ground…..ALWAYS burn the ends.

32. Meghan Corkill on September 8, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Where did you learn so much about gardening? Iโ€™ve always been really interested in having a big veggie garden but I know nothing about it all – nothing – and yes you can find a little online and such but it only gives so much of an idea not all you know – where to plant when when things are ready that type of thing bc Iโ€™d love all the diff veggies and herbs !

33. Kory Wittman on September 8, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Just an FYI. If you donโ€™t know. For your garden row mounds. Add fall leaves . Leave mold will enhance your overall productivity.

34. Eliza Garcia2 on September 8, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Saludos desde Guatemala โค๏ธ

35. Reyanshi Crazy World on September 8, 2021 at 11:03 pm

We watched lawless ice land at Disney became big fans to Alaska you are showing again it’s our pleasure. Missing Gary ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ˜ข. N your videos n hardworking nature uncountable ๐Ÿ™๐Ÿ™๐ŸŒป๐ŸŽ‰

36. Paul Courts on September 8, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Nasturtium leaves can be made into an antibiotic extract or tincture. The flowers can be eaten on salads or made into a vitamin c tea.

37. magicbeekeeper on September 8, 2021 at 11:04 pm

To all young guys here: when I see those movies I realise how important it is to find the right woman. Dont be with the girl who sits all day on the phone. Find yourself a girl like the one on this movie. Dont be like me.

38. Raylee Eastlick on September 8, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Klamath falls Oregon is listening and watching

39. Linda Arrington on September 8, 2021 at 11:04 pm

Turnips freeze very well. Cook half way then freeze with liquid.

40. sundown on September 8, 2021 at 11:05 pm

I love their videos!

41. Rorie on September 8, 2021 at 11:08 pm

13:30 fence is popping

42. AmallieGames on September 8, 2021 at 11:14 pm

I am considering moving to the northern New Mexico mountains and have been concerned about gardening there. Seeing your garden in Alaska, which seems to have similar temperatures, gives me a lot of hope I could make it work.

43. macey falls on September 8, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Just came across your channel and iโ€™m loving it! your garden is amazing!!

44. Dave Foltz on September 8, 2021 at 11:17 pm

New door /planter looks Great! Cant help but thinking its just about right for a Moose feeder though LOL.

45. Brea Willette on September 8, 2021 at 11:18 pm

We are having terrible humidity here. And weird heat that we usually don’t deal with. Looks like our temps will start hanging in the 70s starting this weekend and I am GRATEFUL

46. Michelle Matovich on September 8, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I added call Korbi to my kimchee this year!

47. jeanelyn cacal on September 8, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Hello, i really love watching your videos, living in alaska is so amazing.keep it up.

48. เธซเธกเธฒเธฅเนˆเธฒ 2021 on September 8, 2021 at 11:24 pm

I want to visit you so nice place.

49. West33 Monroe on September 8, 2021 at 11:24 pm