Vegetable Garden Tour #3 (July): Everyone Can Grow a Garden (2021) #31

Vegetable Garden Tour #3 (July): Everyone Can Grow a Garden (2021) #31

Join garden writer Susan Mulvihill as she takes you through her vegetable garden while sharing tips and also showing how the extremely high temperatures have impacted some of her vegetable crops. From Susan’s in the Garden, SusansintheGarden.com.

Susan gardens in Spokane, Wash. While most of the area is in hardiness zone 6, her garden is in a microclimate, making it zone 5b.

You can order a signed copy of Susan’s new book, The Vegetable Garden Pest Handbook, by emailing her at Susan@SusansintheGarden.com. Or you can order it on Amazon: (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0760370060/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=susansinthega-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=0760370060&linkId=4804f112b36f25f529fd259f84a789a4). Publication date: April 2021.

Susan has much more than this YouTube channel! Follow her on:
Blog: https://susansinthegarden.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/susansinthegarden
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/susansinthegarden
Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/inthegarden0059/
Email me: Susan@SusansintheGarden.com

1. ventura sunflower on September 12, 2021 at 10:35 pm

Well I’m hoping all the ash falling from the Dixie fire into
    My garden will help add some nutrients for next year without killing all my corn this year.
    What’s your opinion on that?

2. Becky Steinmiller on September 12, 2021 at 10:38 pm

Thank you so much for the details on tomato leaf roll. It has been a frustrating year for the garden but there are always hidden gems to be found, usually hiding under those rolling leaves! 😁

3. Amy Parker on September 12, 2021 at 10:39 pm

Thanks so much Susan! I was very interested to see how your garden was doing with this heat. I’m in Post Falls and was feeling a bit frustrated with pretty much every crop. I’m not going to give up though. The plants are healthy just not setting fruit yet. Praying for a little bit cooler temps. Happy gardening πŸ‘©β€πŸŒΎπŸͺ΄πŸ“πŸ†πŸ…πŸ₯¦πŸ₯¬πŸ₯’πŸŒΆπŸ«‘πŸŒ½πŸ₯•πŸ§„πŸ§…

4. αž›αŸ„αž€αž‚αŸ’αžšαžΌ αž‡αŸαž™ αžŸαž…αŸ’αž…αŸˆαžœαž·αžšαŸ„ αžŽαž»αž” αžŸαž€αŸ’αž€αžŠαžΆ αž αŸ… αž›αŸ„αž€αž‚αŸ’αžšαžΌαž•αŸαŸ‡αž‚αŸ’αžšαžΌαž’αž„αŸ’αž€αžΆαž˜ on September 12, 2021 at 10:44 pm

I like vegetable garden and green nature πŸŒΏπŸŒ±πŸ˜ŠπŸ‘

5. Wendy Burston on September 12, 2021 at 10:45 pm

Hi Susan, thanks for the tour. The row covers would be great for my greens as there seems to be a lot of leaf miners ruining them. You have such a beautiful set up. We only have one raised bed and it is packed which makes it hard to see what’s going on with the carrots under all the tomatoes. Your method of limiting each bed to one or just a few different plants looks so much better than my jungle. But everything does look healthy so far. We have had a lot of rain, zone 5 Ontario Canada so everything looks super sized. Even my 5′ sunflower is closer to 9′ tall. Hope your weather improves and your veggies stay healthy.

6. Mark PNW on September 12, 2021 at 10:48 pm

I’m on the other side north of Seattle. Slugs are terrible here also. I added electric slug fences to all my raised beds as well as beer traps, and 2" rimmed bowls with the bottoms cut out. Completely eliminated my slug problem.
    Love your videos will need to look for your book.

7. Green Thumbelina on September 12, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Susan, this year gardening has been a challenge for nearly everyone. It seems like we’re all dealing with weather-related problems, whether it’s lack of rain, excessive heat, or disease and bug issues. It’s the successes that give us hope and make us continue to reseed, weed, and pamper our gardens as best as we can. The weeds seem to thrive no matter what, even in the oppressive heat. Stay cool, and stay safe. ~Margie

8. Judit on September 12, 2021 at 10:48 pm

Finally I got to watch your new video!
    So funny, the first time the catbird made a noise me ‘ Oh did you hear that sound in the background, sounds like a cat, sure it is a bird though’ and here you are in the next second explaining that there is a catbird in the background πŸ˜„ I just love gardeners who are aware of birds, we have the same mindset 😊 Greetings, Judit

9. G Vas on September 12, 2021 at 10:51 pm

I did not know that trick about artichokes πŸ˜€
    I planted some last winter and the TX freeze came in Feb, so they survived (under cover). Then they produced this year 🀣
    Thanks for the tip.
    Keep up the good work
    God bless you

10. Lori Y on September 12, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Hello there, Your garden is such a dream. Thank you for the wonderful tour…

11. Diane Bateman on September 12, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Thank you for the tour Susan, looks like your garden is doing quite well despite the heat.
    Can you film more vertically please, I’ve noticed in a few videos your face was cut off.

12. Emily Knetzer on September 12, 2021 at 11:01 pm

When I saw the pinwheel in your onion bed I first thought you were a Blue Jay charmer. Sorry if you’ve shared it before, but what is the purpose of the pinwheel?

13. Dana Legris on September 12, 2021 at 11:02 pm

Thanks for your garden tour and showing how even the best gardeners have issues. I am hoping for cooler temps in your area and that your tomatoes bounce back. We have had the opposite type of weather, wet and cloudy. Mold and fungus are our problems. No predicting Mother Nature!

14. LITTLE EGYPT ADVENTURES METAL DETECTING on September 12, 2021 at 11:06 pm

I live in southern Illinois and my garden is absolutely beautiful this year. We have had plenty of rain and the temperatures have barely went above 90 degrees Fahrenheit. My tomatoes beans and cucumbers and green peppers are looking really good. I am disabled and grow in containers only. I would love to have you as a subscriber and your inputs as to how I am doing. Steve’s Gardening Adventures is the name of my new channel. And little Egypt Adventures metal detecting is my old channel I would love to have you on both channels. Thank you and may God Bless you.

15. ventura sunflower on September 12, 2021 at 11:08 pm

I noticed there are some silver streaking in the leaves of the broccoli is that a kind of broccoli or is that a residue I’m serious it’s silver metallic looking. Two of my ways beds I partially covered , or I wouldn’t have the broccoli or the sugar snaps or even the green beans this year it’s been so bloody hot causing scorching!

16. Ali D on September 12, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I have a net over my brassicas will that stop the leaf minor too? My carrots bolted as did so many peoples this year. Hope you are safe from all the fires out your way. Thank you for sharing πŸ‡¨πŸ‡¦βœŒοΈπŸ safe from Langley BC

17. Jan Kessell on September 12, 2021 at 11:10 pm

We are in the Salem, Oregon area. The extreme heat just about wiped out my tomatoes, and even the zucchini was stunted. My beans and cucumbers are still doing well, thank goodness, or I would think my thumb had gone to brown entirely. I’m pretty embarrassed about the zucchiniβ€”what kind of Gardner can’t grow a zucchini? 🀣

18. Paula T on September 12, 2021 at 11:11 pm

My tomatoes here in Reno NV are suffering like yours are. Heat, wind, smoke are all taking a toll. Hoping they will have a chance to recover before the season is over. It’s comforting knowing I’m not the only one LOL. Yours is one of the only channels I have found with growing conditions similar to mine at 5400′ in the dry, short season, high desert. I really appreciate you sharing your experience in a similar climate.

19. jennifer perry on September 12, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Thank you Susan,the same thing has happened to my tomatoes and I was worried that I did something wrong. Thank you for explaining.

20. Min D on September 12, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I’m in the Spokane area as well and wanted to share- the paste tomatoes that I’m having the best luck with in this heat are Raspberry Lyanna and Red Oxheart. My other paste tomatoes are dropping blossoms more than setting any fruit.

Hopefully this week of milder 80 degree trends will lead to lots of fruit set 🀞🏻

21. lisa schaeffer on September 12, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Here below Detroit, it has been rain, rain and more rain and we are zone 6 too. I just waiting for my big tomatoes to get ripe. You have fires and we have floods in some areas.

22. Angela Palmer on September 12, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Such a beautiful garden. I could easily listen to you all day, explaining all your wonderful tips about your garden. Thanks for sharing

23. J B on September 12, 2021 at 11:22 pm

You go susan

24. Rosearion on September 12, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Hi Susan and all. I live on Vancouver island, BC Canada, and we had the mega heatwave here as well, 120F+. Yeah, it was rough. Somehow, by God’s grace, all of my plants survived. My husband and I deployed our 2 patio umbrellas over the real tender veggies, and I wore an outfit that had me resembling Lawrence of Arabia, while I was out in the heat watering to keep them alive. All this got me seriously looking into veggie varieties that can withstand intense heat and drought. I will be trying New Zealand spinach next year, as well as Long beans/cowpeas/asparagus beans. I think it would be wise for everyone that experienced the high heat, to consider looking into hardier varieties too. =)

25. drcbeartooths on September 12, 2021 at 11:31 pm

You are "cool" – even in the heat+ Happy Gardening!

26. Candis Claiborn on September 12, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Susan, thank you for this great tour. I learned a lot – I garden about 90 min south of you, and my garden has puzzled me this year as well – especially the tomato leaf roll and the pole and bush beans not producing (although the foliage looks beautiful). I guess I won’t give up on my tomatoes and beans just yet!