What to Plant in August Zone 9 & Garden Tour

What to Plant in August Zone 9 & Garden Tour

What to Plant in August & Garden Tour Zone 9

My channel focuses on sharing my personal journey in growing our garden, farm and food forest to achieve a sustainable lifestyle. I have a passion for growing organic food and living off the land. I share monthly garden tours, recipes, and gardening tips. Please like, share and subscribe if you would like to watch my garden grow through each season. Hopefully you will learn something along the way! My goal is to inspire you to get outdoors and enjoy some Southern Dirt and Sunshine!

-Support my channel-
Garden Tower:
Save $10 off your order of $100
Use my promo code :SD10

*NEWSLETTER*
Sign up for my newsletters to keep up to date on what’s going on at our Farm and Garden:

I love sharing photos of our farm and garden on Instagram! @Southern Dirt Gardener

Want to know how you can support my channel?

Here are a few simple things you can do to help me GROW:)
*Website Coming Soon*
1. Please like, share, comment below and SUBSCRIBE!
2.Purchase my Products:
NEW ITEM: Garden Hair Don’t Care Cap $25, shipping $4.50
I offer seasonal homegrown and handmade items for sale:
Organic Homegrown Heirloom Seeds:
Mammoth Sunflower Seeds (30 seeds) $6, includes shipping (1packet)
Luffa Seeds (30 seeds) $6, includes shipping (1packet)
Seminole Pumpkin Seeds (30 seeds) $6, includes shipping (1packet)
Okra Seeds (30 seeds) $6, includes shipping (1packet)
Broccoli Seeds (30 seeds) $6, includes shipping (1 packet)
Zinna Seeds, mixed colors (30+ seeds) $6, includes shipping (1 packet)
Everglades Tomatoes (50 seeds) $6, includes shipping
Homegrown Luffa Sponge (5-8 inches long) $5, shipping included
Organic Homegrown Goats Milk Luffa Soap (lavender sent) $10 or 2 for $18, shipping $4.50 (1) Seasonal fruit tree cuttings or young potted trees ($10 bundle of 5)+ 1-3 days priority shipping $8.90:
Mulberry, Dwarf Mulberry, Elderberry, Fig, Barbados Cherry, Guava, Mango, Southern Home Grape, Red Muscadine Grape, Moringa and Elderberry.
For more information and availability email @ summer@fastlanepromotions.biz
PayPal: https://paypal.me/southerndirtgardener?locale.x=en_US

What to Plant in August :

Zone 9a:
Beets, broccoli, brussel sprouts, bok choy, collards, eggplant, kale, tomatoes, tropical spinach, celery, mustard, beans, carrots cucumber onions, squash, turnip, sunflowers, Marygolds, Zinnias.
Zone 9b:
Beans, carrots, eggplant, tomatoes, okra, Southern peas, peppers, squash onions, sugar Carne, pineapple, sunflowers, matgolds, Zinnia and tropical spinach.

Resources:

harvest, in ground gardening, vegetable, garden, grow, your, own, food, in ground garden, homegrown, organic, kitchen, table, gardening, raised bed, food forest, vegetables, organic, allotment, urban, edible, gardener, back, yard, nature, veggie, patch, permaculture, home, urban, farming, veggies, small, farm, fresh, tour, central, florida, sebring, highlands, county, flowers, plants, zinna, mammoth, sunflower, tomato, okra, squash, zucchini, cherry, blueberry, onion, kale, collard, greens, butter, crunch, lettuce, kohlrabi, carrot, rainbow, pepper, sweet, cabbage, brussel, sprouts, celery, rose, marigold, zone, 9b, 9a, seed, baker creek, seeds, beets, thousand head kale, brandy wine, beefsteak, carrot, cosmic, french dressing radish, sugar, snow, pea, green beans, seeds of change, red cabbage, luffa, burpee, ferry morse, handmade, garden sale, traditional, beginner, harvest, dirt, sand, how to grow, DIY, fruit tree, orchard, food forest

1. Naomi's u Acosta on September 15, 2021 at 10:43 pm

Thanks for showing os the realities of gardening in Florida. Right now the only thing thriving in my garden are the sweet potatoes, cowpeas, yam and taro. I only spend like 15 min in the morning checking my plants it is just too hot and muggy. I have tomato, peppers and onion seed starts to transplant in September.

2. zsazsa bodine on September 15, 2021 at 10:49 pm

Brooksville, FL, zone 9a.My garden died with the torrential rain and heat. All I’ve got left is a few really struggling CA Wonder plants and two half dead eggplants. Sigh.

3. CiCi Collins on September 15, 2021 at 10:52 pm

Those kids were so excited.

4. Ken Brown on September 15, 2021 at 10:55 pm

Love the kids digging through the sweet potatoes! Those summer peas go by many names, cow peas, zipper peas, crowder peas, and several others. We plant them every year in April in large pots. This year after the first flush of pods I threw some extra fertilizer on them, then 2 weeks later my wife did too. Second flush was fantastic! Threw more fertilizer on and now into the third flush for the first time! We love them. Loofas are one of the best pollinators attractive ever. We also have luck with butternut squash in the summer. Tomatillas did great to, sweet and tart, great addition to the stir fry. Ken

5. CheryleAnn on September 15, 2021 at 10:57 pm

Should I pull my pole beans?

6. Kimberli Best on September 15, 2021 at 10:58 pm

Really loved this video- sharing the end of the season and growing in the Florida heat struggles really helped me. I just thought I was doing a bad job of gardening but your video helped me see it’s just common gardening struggles in central Florida! I was feeling discouraged and was going to skip planting, now I am motivated to push forward and get seedlings in for the fall!

7. Kimberly D on September 15, 2021 at 11:00 pm

Sweet potatoes are essential to a Florida garden to give your ego a boost during the crazy hot humid summer! They are so gratifying to grow!

8. Champagne Gardening on September 15, 2021 at 11:05 pm

I pulled a lot this morning as well.

9. HisGrace on September 15, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Thank you, Summer. The metal bed is cute in your garden. I’m sure you’ll plan something in it. I didn’t know potatoes takes so long to harwest. Your loufa is loving the heat. Have you started your fall seeds yet? I planted seeds of beans, cucumber, chart and squash. Some are growing already. I made cloth shield to filter the morning sun. Not sure when should I put them in ground or container. Any suggestions?

10. Robert Shaver on September 15, 2021 at 11:08 pm

First! 😉

11. Heather Dodson on September 15, 2021 at 11:09 pm

How do I order a cap & some seeds from you?

12. S T on September 15, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Yes, this heat is ridiculous. And my garden looks bad as well. Just subscribed and look forward to some great garden tips

13. Carole Chamberlain on September 15, 2021 at 11:10 pm

I only have zinnias in my garden, now. Everything else in my garden has expired. Thanks for your honesty. I think your garden still looks fantastic.This summer has been hot! Thanks for the video. From: Melbourne Fl. zone 9b.

14. Tricia H on September 15, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Your luffa look great. Mine are growing like crazy but no flowers or luffa.😥 What should I fertilize them with?
    Also yes would like to see what you use to Amend your soil with.

15. Ingrid Hachmeister on September 15, 2021 at 11:13 pm

We have had great success with our hot peppers and herbs! The heat is hard, but mornings and evening with bug spray are my BFFs. Starting Seminole pumpkin, loofah and some bird house gourds for the fall. Thanks for sharing the struggles of Florida heat and gardening.

16. cetriya's Art n Comics Channel on September 15, 2021 at 11:13 pm

everytime I try to plant a loffa it always dies. maybe I should try started in pots near partial shades

17. RoRo on September 15, 2021 at 11:14 pm

August in Florida is especially brutal for gardening. 🥵My garden looks like a big jungle right now bc I grow so many vining plants and they all tangled with each other on top of my trellises! At least one variety (called upo or opo squash) is producing heavily right now!

Have you tried growing pigeon peas? I think you would like growing it bc it becomes a tree and grows a bunch of peas you can eat. I grew some last year but didn’t save any seeds. I bought some off a YouTuber called Dan Permaculture Food Forrest. He has a couple videos (or more) about Pigeon Peas.

18. ML Duong on September 15, 2021 at 11:16 pm

Hi Summer 🌸. Thank you for sharing your garden with us. I stopped growing Loofa because it gave us so much fruits and my garden is a bit small. I only use the young one for stir-fry or soup. This year, I pulled out everything in June and only left the sweet potatoes for the summer. We got some sweet potatoes yesterday too. 🙃

19. K Powell on September 15, 2021 at 11:17 pm

LOL I’m struggling with ripening guavas…one to two large bowls full per day for the last three weeks! It is difficult because of the weather to get motivated to pick up the overripe fruit off the ground to discard because they attract animals, and then pick them off the tree, EVERY day. I’ve been making a LOT of smoothies. The smoothies are fantastic though.

20. Nazira Steward on September 15, 2021 at 11:19 pm

So glad I found your channel! I am new to gardening and to Central Florida, my kids gave me a raised bed for Mother’s Day and I didn’t realize summer is not a good time to garden here so have been feeling discouraged. I have a couple of pepper plants which have survived, one never produced fruit. If I leave it, could it possibly produce fruit in the fall?

21. Viola Graham on September 15, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Thank you for your video. I am in Sanford, FL – 9b. My garden is pretty much done for the summer. I have sweet potatoes still growing. I had a bad infestation of white flies on all my peppers. I pruned all the leaves off and hope they will come back in the fall. I don’t try to grow anything during the hot summer months. I am starting to get in the mood to start my fall seedlings. I have my sweet potatoes in a container. Most of my garden is in containers.

22. SuzyBoudreaux on September 15, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Love your videos! Thanks so much for sharing. Summer heat and excessive rain has done a number on my garden here in Louisiana but I’m starting my seeds for Fall and looking forward to the Fall garden. Thanks again for sharing your time and knowledge!

23. Medway Railway Modeller on September 15, 2021 at 11:21 pm

Nice video like it very much.

24. Hether Buhler on September 15, 2021 at 11:21 pm

I’m having nematode issues with my okra as well. What are you doing to treat them? I am feeling a bit discouraged, I had to pull them all up. I’ve added more compost and worm castings but not sure if I should keep trying to plant in that area or let it sit for a few months. Never had the issue before

25. Pam at Good Fiber Yarns on September 15, 2021 at 11:23 pm

So glad I found you. I live just south of Jacksonville in 9a. It’s so hard to know what to plant in the summer/fall/winter because our scorching sun makes growing much harder than the rest of the country. It’s good to see what has worked for you. I would like to see how you amend your soil, and if you use trellis for your squash.

26. Road to Self Reliance on September 15, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Thank you for showing the less than glamorous look of an August garden in Florida. Just when I think I’m doing something wrong, I see this and realize it isn’t me as much as it is nature. My garden is in containers, so I don’t have to worry much about weeding. However, we are setting up two water troughs as raised beds. Spent two days this week getting them leveled and adding stone to the bottom. Holding off on the soil for now in case one of the tropical storms in the Caribbean moves up the Atlantic side of Florida. I am really excited to see what I can grow this fall.

27. DrivingFree on September 15, 2021 at 11:32 pm

The little one was so adorable jumping in and digging the sweet potatoes. I had to laugh!!

28. Laura Gilmer on September 15, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Thank you for sharing. My flower garden has done horrible this year. Its to hot here. You gave me great ideas. I live in Floral City Fl. also 9B. Its nice to see other local peoples gardens and the struggles.

29. BLONDE 2 BRUNETTE on September 15, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Thank you for always keeping it real with your fans! The weeds are out of control and this heat can make us a bit unmotivated. We live in Miami, Fl and the humidity is something else. If we don’t weed a couple time a week, we can easily have a forest of weeds in less than two weeks! The rain is feeding the weeds steroids! lol Currently prepping our garden for fall and looking forward to somewhat cooler temps lol.

30. South Coast Tackle & Outdoors on September 15, 2021 at 11:38 pm

Hey, thanks for the video. Quick question…we live in the Houston area and are in zone 9a. Looking at the stuff you have planned to plant…when would you generally expect to be able to harvest? My wife and I are going to start a fall garden and with the crazy weather Texas has we’re curious if we’re starting too late?

31. Shekhynah Curtis on September 15, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Can tomatoes and peppers be planted from seed?