How to Build a Raised Bed from 1 Pallet! (FREE and Easy)

How to Build a Raised Bed from 1 Pallet! (FREE and Easy)

Build a pallet with NO material costs! Click show more for full info ๐Ÿ™‚
Pre-order my book here: https://amzn.to/2BDJiQz
Enter the pre-order competition here: https://www.dk.com/uk/article/veg-in-one-bed-pre-order-prize-giveaway/
This is perhaps the most inexpensive raised bed you can build! Wooden pallets are seen as either a fire hazard or industrial waste so you can very easily get your hands on a few for free. By splitting the pallet effectively and saving the nails, you will have all you need to build a surprisingly sturdy and nice looking raised bed. Plus depending on the size of the pallet you can look at a raised bed around 1ft high and 4x4ft. Which will be able to grow you a very nice amount of food!

Pallet splitters by Roughneck

Instagram: @huws_nursery
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HuwsGardenNursery

Seed sponsor: https://www.organiccatalogue.com
Tool sponsor: https://www.bulldogtools.co.uk

Main Camera: https://amzn.to/2KCbn0k
Second Camera: https://amzn.to/2KkRoUA
Laptop: https://amzn.to/2KjT4hj
Drone: https://amzn.to/2tUYZy6
Microphone: https://amzn.to/2KvTikz
Second Microphone: https://amzn.to/2yXuRYJ
Tripod: https://amzn.to/2lQ77g1

HuwsNursery is a channel which dedicates itself to teaching you how to grow an abundance of food at your home. Videos are uploaded every week and cover a vast range of subjects including; soil health, sowing, transplanting, weeding, organic tips, permaculture, pest control, harvesting and low maintenance growing to name a few.

Subscribe here: https://www.youtube.com/user/HuwsNursery?sub_confirmation=1

Become a Patreon and help HuwsNursery GROW! https://www.patreon.com/huwsnursery
With thanks to the support of my top tier patreons; William Shidal, Ben Porcher, Namaste Foundation, Valeria Letelier and Mike Moore

1. Patricia Russell on September 16, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Love how you share freely and show just how to. I purchased a pallet buster so I need to get it ready for some pallets. My worm beds are being eaten by the worms so this is a perfect project. Thanks Huw for helping us learn.

2. H.Cristina CN on September 16, 2021 at 11:19 pm

perfect video!

3. Janet Bransdon on September 16, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Fantastic… thank you Huw.

4. Raji Kanufa on September 16, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Everyone will find something for themselves on the Woodglut website.

5. Ziera ! on September 16, 2021 at 11:20 pm

This method definitely looks easier than other methods. Thanks!

6. Patrick Payne on September 16, 2021 at 11:20 pm

Those square blocks are called spacers.

7. Lagi Auimatagi on September 16, 2021 at 11:24 pm

Thank you now I will show my husband how to make the flower bed from a pallet save money ๐Ÿ’ฐ.this lagi auimatagi from Auckland New Zealand ๐Ÿ‡ณ๐Ÿ‡ฟ

8. PoleGem on September 16, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Niiiice!!!!

9. James Peters on September 16, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Exactly what I needed to see. Thanks

10. Kevin Carter on September 16, 2021 at 11:35 pm

God bless you sir thank you very much

11. filho prรณdigo on September 16, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Parabรฉns pelo seu trabalho ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท๐Ÿ‡ง๐Ÿ‡ท

12. tosl scrubber on September 16, 2021 at 11:37 pm

The nails add iron to the soil. Because pallet nails are next to useless after their first use, they are good for slowly breaking down in the soil. Plants need iron to commit to many functions from seed to harvest.

13. Alpha Potato on September 16, 2021 at 11:39 pm

If you painted them would they last longer??

14. Endgame Survivor Strategies on September 16, 2021 at 11:40 pm

Another great video!! Thank you fo sharing your knowledge.

15. Joseph Tan on September 16, 2021 at 11:41 pm

Good day Huw, how can I acquire your first book about gardening. So interesting to see you in the garden planting vegetables and making raised bed. I am your fan and l really want to have a copy of your book. The problem is I am residing in the Philippines.

16. Lucy Swann's Unsafe Space on September 16, 2021 at 11:42 pm

Good stuff! However, around here; pallets arenโ€™t free ๐Ÿ˜‚. Everyone wants like $5-$10 for good pallets lol. Besides that, a good raised bed for $5-$10 is pretty good. I just find that the pallets around here are super thick and extremely difficult to tear down. Itโ€™s taken me an entire day to tear down one pallet before, using a 5lb pry bar, a 20lb pry bar, a 10 & 20lb hammer and I finally gave up and used a recipricating saw and cut through the nails, or through an end, losing a good portion of the materials. However, the โ€œplansโ€ look easy and perfect! Thanks! ๐Ÿ˜Š

17. R Grow on September 16, 2021 at 11:43 pm

I’ve tried this without a Pallet splitting tool and would never try again. If the tool works it might be worth it, but without its much more difficult to be successful than he makes it look.

18. Nancy Tabor on September 16, 2021 at 11:44 pm

I am moving and putting in a garden against advice of others they think I will have trouble keeping what I grow from others. I want to make beds like these and plant extras for a kind of front yard free tomatoes etc. knowing how to build out of pallets will really help!!

19. CrossGrain Wood Products,LTD on September 16, 2021 at 11:45 pm

There is an issue with using pallets, and that is the various pesticides that pallets are sprayed with depending on the countries it has traveled to. I would never use them for a garden bed that you are growing eatables in. These pallets travel all over the world and each country uses different sprays so as not to transport bugs that can be invasive. It’s a nice idea, and I am big on recycling and repurposing. The wood is also much too thin and will rot away in one-two seasons. I’ve been growing everything on my land for 22 years and have never used any kind of none organic chemical on plants, lawns, trees, and garden beds

20. GOGO on September 16, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Be careful, these wood could be treated. Harmful, donโ€™t plant vegetables.

21. Carl Duffin on September 16, 2021 at 11:46 pm

The most environmentally friendly way to reuse a pallet is to have it collected by the haulage company so they can continue to use it.

22. Amanda Fox on September 16, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Thank you so much! I have watched so many videos on how to make garden beds from pallets. And this by far is the easiest and most effetive by far!

23. The Southern Lady on September 16, 2021 at 11:50 pm

That’s really nice.

24. Silly Goose on September 16, 2021 at 11:50 pm

pardon me, but do u have any grey poupon?

25. Erhan Findik on September 16, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Thank you for the video. It is a perfect guide for a beginner who isn’t very handy at these kind of works. Showing all the details helps a lot.

26. Dummy channel on September 16, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Super idea

27. AngryGeekling on September 16, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Awesome video! Helpful!

28. Egor Biletskiy on September 16, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Do you love woodworking? Try the Woodprix plans.

29. Balance Internally on September 16, 2021 at 11:55 pm

This video took away all the intimidation i would of had to do this! thank you so much! i just need to get my tools in line and raised beds here I come!

30. v9mpire on September 16, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Yess! I have so much of these in my yard piled up and wanted a box garden for so long!

31. ernest mcdowell on September 16, 2021 at 11:56 pm

if you cannot get ht pallets could you wood treat them with fence paint

32. Ana D on September 16, 2021 at 11:56 pm

Thanks for your video, just helped me to how learn to do a vegetable bedding โค๏ธ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜Š๐Ÿ˜Š

33. Hannah making rivendell on September 16, 2021 at 11:56 pm

This video is so wholesome, my heart is so full. Green things growing, salvaging wood, careful workmanship, frugality, a beautiful world

34. Lee Reed Embroidery on September 16, 2021 at 11:57 pm

Thank you, I am interested to make my first bed

35. Trish Sykes on September 16, 2021 at 11:57 pm

FINALLY – a great way to build raised beds without super-duper (๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ’ฐ๐Ÿ’ฐ) chop saws and the like! Thank you so much, Huw!

36. Stephen Lee on September 16, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Fab video. Exactly the kind of simple repurposing I was looking for.

37. Sisira Jayawardene on September 17, 2021 at 12:00 am

Great video as always.Many thanks for your valuable time and attention.Your channel does makes a big difference in Natural organic farming and life style.

38. Y.LB_Z.D.910 on September 17, 2021 at 12:03 am

Iโ€™m transforming a small patio into a raised bed for my stepdad for his birthday

39. Charles Roberts on September 17, 2021 at 12:05 am

At the price of wood now we need to do that

40. Gabriela Hernandez on September 17, 2021 at 12:06 am

Young Alec Baldwin with a sexy accent โค๏ธ

41. Charles Roberts on September 17, 2021 at 12:07 am

I think you could build a nice house out of pallets

42. M Uly1 on September 17, 2021 at 12:07 am

Thats a quick and easy raised bed, I got plenty of pallets. Thanks and cheers!

43. tosl scrubber on September 17, 2021 at 12:07 am

If you don’t care about leave parts of the nails in the boards, you can use a reciprocating saw to cut through the nails between the boards. Use a good metal cutting blade. Use safety glasses/goggles. Just remember the nails in the boards when using another saw when cutting them to length.

44. Huw Richards on September 17, 2021 at 12:07 am

Also I forgot to mention to use pallets which have been heat treated๐Ÿ˜ Look for the HT symbol!

45. Tamara Roberts on September 17, 2021 at 12:08 am

I really needed this video . Thank you for sharing this.

46. P.L. Smith on September 17, 2021 at 12:08 am

(From a 74yr old)
    That really inspired me Huw; however what I’ve learned is that there is a range of types of pallet construction some of which were an absolute nightmare and defeated me. Providing a video as you suggested, about splitting pallets would be really helpful. The strongest ones had been nailed probably by machine and proved impossible to deconstruct.
    I agree the one you demonstrated with was easy so I suggest other watchers would be well advised to get that flimsier type of pallet to use for raised beds. Then its as much fun as you had and removing and re-using nails is very satisfying.

47. Chloe S on September 17, 2021 at 12:08 am

Thank you!! This is perfect for me. I barely have any money at all and I really, really want to make a garden this year. I managed to get a pallet from a neighbor so I’m looking forward to following your instructions. ๐Ÿ˜

48. 1Maklak on September 17, 2021 at 12:10 am

I don’t have the fancy pallet dissembler, just crowbars, claw-hammer and tongs and pulling apart pallets is my least favourite part. I resorted to cutting the nails with a reciprocating saw and it works faster, with fewer split boards, but there is an extra step of removing nail heads. New nails are fairly cheap, but for straightening old ones, the cubes from pallets are good, just put the nail on top and hold it and rotate it, while hitting it with a hammer.

At hardware stores, there are parts for joining things at a 90-degree angle (two 10cm flat rectangles with holes, joined at a 90 degree angle, don’t know what they’re called). They’re cheap and they’re a viable alternative to using cubes to hold the sides together. These can be reused when the wood rots.

My bottleneck for raised beds has always been long reclaimed boards (I want 3.5-4m long ones), but this modular approach can work too and when making rows of these, 1.2m is a good width. It should generally be better to make rows South-North, rather than East-West, because both sides of the longer raised bed will get similar amounts of sun that way.

49. Mireya Yim on September 17, 2021 at 12:11 am

I’ve heard good feedback about the Woodglut plans.

50. Charles Roberts on September 17, 2021 at 12:13 am

I like watching you recycle