5 Plants We Won't Grow Again in Zone 6, and Why.

5 Plants We Won't Grow Again in Zone 6, and Why.

I like to grow lots of different things. I even like to try to grow things that are a little challenging. Sometimes it works great, and sometimes it doesn’t work so well. I wanted to share 5 different plants that we’ve grown in our garden, and why we won’t grow them again. Several plants we grew required long growing seasons (Narajilla, Pepino Melon, Tzimbalo Melon Pear, Pineapple) or special treatment. One other plant we decided not to grow again because it grew too well (English Ivy). If you are looking for plants not to grow in zone 6, this list of plants are plants that didn’t work out very well for us.
Let me know if you’ve ever grown any of these plants, and how they did for you in your zone.

Things we use in the garden, and my camera gear (affiliate):

Subscribe: https://www.youtube.com/user/WarLetters
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/midwestgardener

Naranjilla: 00:01
Pepino Melon: 00:58
Tzimbalo Melon Pear: 1:48
Pineapple: 2:38
English Ivy: 3:20

Naranjilla: https://youtu.be/eUz8YCtKiTY
Pepino Melon: https://youtu.be/fHWdcL7UzUE
Tzimbalo Melon Pear: https://youtu.be/QdxxRFu_nBg
Pineapple: https://youtu.be/26kb9S9WXVc

I garden in zone 6b, in the state Kansas. I would love to hear from you, so feel free to comment, make suggestions, ask a question, give tips, tell about your garden, or even offer constructive criticism.
Thanks for watching!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~
This is not a sponsored video, but I am a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program. That means that I will receive a small percentage of any sales generated from one of my affiliate links, but you won’t pay any extra. It’s one more way that you can support our channel.

1. Mikey Gee on September 17, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Yes most if the Ivy’s and many vines can be nightmares. Do not plant Virginia creeper either! I’ve been eradicating it for 4 years now. What a mistake. Now to find a way to kill all the mega invasive honeysuckle!

2. HOME GARDENING AND PLANTVERSE on September 17, 2021 at 11:10 pm

Lovely , nice information, joined hope you do same

3. The Little Whitehouse on September 17, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Some of those are pretty invasive it looks like. I wouldn’t grow them again either.

4. Dimi Pimenta on September 17, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Very nice vรญdeo

5. Mike Davidson on September 17, 2021 at 11:14 pm

Most of these are Not supposed to grow in 6!

6. Paula C. on September 17, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Good to get rid of English Ivy wherever you see it. It is considered a noxious weed in 48 states, causing economic and ecological disaster. I agree with you – I will never grow it.

7. A little dirt never hurt on September 17, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Good, I never trusted that spiky bugger!! Nice, reasoned run down of what to avoid! I like that your zone is one that allows you to try many types of plants. More so than your zone is your mentality. Nice to do experiments, even nicer to share the results! Have a great weekend:))

8. Papa Pepper on September 17, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Man, I’ve got a Naranjilla in by bathroom right now. The first two fruits are actually changing color right now (finally). Pepinos too? Shop at Baker Creek much? (my favorite)

Honestly, I love that you are willing to try and experiment. That’s how I like to garden!

9. Candi Wallace on September 17, 2021 at 11:19 pm

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ˜๐Ÿ˜

10. Little Bean's Garden on September 17, 2021 at 11:20 pm

I havenโ€™t grown any of those only the pineapple ๐Ÿ and that is doing ok for me . Wow that ivy was aggressive, thank you for the heads up on ivy , I had at some point considered it for my garden , not anymore lol ๐Ÿ˜‚

11. Ms. F. Lee Banks on September 17, 2021 at 11:21 pm

There was a little English Ivy beside my porch. Now it’s creeping up my porch ceiling! Annoying green Anoles lizards jump out at me when try to remove the ivy. My trail of ivy must be their new home.

12. My Hillside Garden on September 17, 2021 at 11:23 pm

Hi Jim, thanks for your thoughts on those veg. I was thinking about pepino, but, I know my season would not be long enough either, so your recommendation was helpful. English Ivy……invasive, stubborn, hard to control. With the slope in our yard, I thought it was the key to having ground cover and erosion control, planted some in one spot and it has done well there, so I propagated some and put it in the side yard, and THEN I read that it is considered an invasive species. The slope of my yard is near a vacate wooded lot, so I removed all of it that same year, and haven’t had an issue there. I do keep it in the one spot of my yard, but I have to cut it back three or four times a year to keep it there. I wish nurseries were not allowed to sell it. Thanks for sharing. Catherine

13. huna78 on September 17, 2021 at 11:27 pm

I grew two pineapples in a pot, beautiful leaves, but after 3 years still no fruit. One had a bad reaction to the Apple-gas manipulation so I may try again just for the foliage.

14. Alex Clarke on September 17, 2021 at 11:27 pm

I like your voice a lot haha. But thanks for your insight.

15. UT33200 on September 17, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Good info. Not sure if I would want any of those being in the same zone. Our pineapple is actually out in the frozen wasteland right now hoping for a miracle. LOL It’s always so cool seeing how other things work and don’t work for other people in vids like this. We learn so much from sharing personal experience. Good stuff. Thanks for the share!

16. 50 shades of green on September 17, 2021 at 11:29 pm

Tell me about it Jim, English Ivy or Ivy as we say in the UK is very invasive plant it takes little time to overtake and will attach to anything and grow through it even bricks and mortar

17. bowenfarm1 on September 17, 2021 at 11:31 pm

The deer eat down my English ivy every winter so it doesnโ€™t get a chance to get out of control plus it comes back fresh and green in the spring. I weed eat around the perimeter so it doesnโ€™t spread out too far into my other plants and flowers. I do hate the weeds that come up thru it though, especially poison ivy ๐Ÿ™

18. Millicent Rowan on September 17, 2021 at 11:36 pm

I’ve never heard a sadder voice. ๐Ÿ˜ข

19. Angelina Louis on September 17, 2021 at 11:42 pm

prior owners had Eng. Ivy… STILL keeps coming back ๐Ÿ™

20. dumvivimus on September 17, 2021 at 11:43 pm

This is nearly exactly my โ€˜not growing againโ€™ list in 6a.

21. Carmen Kuhn on September 17, 2021 at 11:45 pm

English ivy is the devil

22. Prairie Adventures on September 17, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Good info! Your garden always looks awesome

23. Johanna S on September 17, 2021 at 11:46 pm

English ivy is almost as bad as Kudzu, It was growing at my old farmhouse out on the east coast and I never was able to get rid of it.

24. BobMel simple living on September 17, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Like you Jim. I have tried several things that do not grow in my area. Some like the pineapple I will not do any more. I do have 2 that are growing At this time, but we are not planting any more. I do NOT enjoy babysitting any thing. Getting to old for that. ๐Ÿ˜Š Have a great weekend. Best wishes Bob.

25. Rough Cut Homestead on September 17, 2021 at 11:47 pm

Heehe…English ivy got away from ye! Don’t grow Luffa either!

26. ciel robinson on September 17, 2021 at 11:47 pm

winter creeper is way more of a menace here in KY than english ivy. and impossible to get rid of!

27. David Muffoletto on September 17, 2021 at 11:47 pm

I type in what trees to grow in zone 6 and this video was first suggested. 5 plants, first three Iโ€™ve never heard of you wouldnโ€™t grow again. ๐Ÿคฃ interesting tho..

28. cstone on September 17, 2021 at 11:48 pm

I would like to add winter creeper to the list, it does the same as Ivy.

29. MyChilepepper on September 17, 2021 at 11:49 pm

I won’t grow potatoes. First attempted growing organic, they’re covered in beetles, doodle pilbugs and earwigs. I just get them from an organic market store for 98 cent per 5 lb bag.

30. Mikey Gee on September 17, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Great to know! I’m in zone 6, St. Louis, Mo. This is helpful. I’ve considered some of these, but have no interest anymore in spending a season to fail!

31. DunnWurkin on September 17, 2021 at 11:50 pm

Agree on the English ivy, is very aggressive and invasive here, though when I first saw it thought it was pretty. I like to try new plants every year. Going to try using cattle panels for trellis this year. Thanks for showing the different plants!

32. Michelle M on September 17, 2021 at 11:50 pm

My aunt loves English ivy. She grows them in hanging baskets in her sunroom.

33. Lucas Brown on September 17, 2021 at 11:51 pm

You have no useful information, just told us what wasnโ€™t working for you.

34. Nikki on September 17, 2021 at 11:51 pm

My neighbor planted English Ivy several years ago… I never completely got rid of it. It was still there after 12 years when I moved ๐Ÿ˜–

35. Priceless Stitching on September 17, 2021 at 11:53 pm

I have heard that about english ivy and have stayed away! One I would add to the list is passion flower vine! One came up wild in my corner flower bed. I left it for a season to see what it would do, take over is what it did! The roots grow deep and spread all over. I have almost destroyed my plants in that corner bed trying to dig it up! It even traveled through a hair line crack that ran from the flower bed to the stairs on the front porch and grew through that! Each year I fight that thing!

36. Janie2Shoes on September 17, 2021 at 11:55 pm

I have never heard of the Narajilla, it reminds me of the Litchi tomato. I do have a pineapple growing in my basement. Thanks for sharing.

37. oddo pops on September 17, 2021 at 11:57 pm

๐Ÿ‘‹๐Ÿ˜Š

38. svetik solnishko on September 17, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Friend of mine grew one and harvested successfully in colder zone than 6a where I am at. She said that it needs to be pruned fairly well, most of the new off-shoots need to be cut off to increase the fruit production. Either way I’ll give a try this season, no harm in seeing what happens

39. Stephanie Iacobelli on September 17, 2021 at 11:58 pm

I had crown vetch that a prior owner planted on our hill to be a ground cover. I almost got rid of all of it, and itโ€™s 15 years later.

40. Cultivating Organic by Jo & Mig on September 17, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Good to know. I’m not much for growing unfamiliar fruits or vegetables although I make some exemption on some medicinal plants.

41. SP TheArtist on September 17, 2021 at 11:59 pm

This video just made me wish myself to Florida even moreeee!!!

42. Hydroponic Gardening & More with Brent on September 18, 2021 at 12:03 am

I’ve considered your first 4 and just kind of held on waiting for your opinion on some of them. Now I know for sure not to do it. Informative opinions. Thanks Jim.

43. Tam Tam on September 18, 2021 at 12:03 am

Iโ€™m trying my best to get rid of the native berry plants , they take OVER .what a pain !!

44. Timothy Goh on September 18, 2021 at 12:03 am

as a member of native plant society I really hope you dont grow English Ivy ever again and also periwinkle

45. An Old School Home on September 18, 2021 at 12:03 am

Thatโ€™s really good to know Jim! Especially for gardeners who are in similar climates as yours. I think Iโ€™ll try a pineapple next time I buy one ๐Ÿ˜

46. kaz modan on September 18, 2021 at 12:04 am

I grew naranjilla last year the flavor was somewhat sour. I added sugar and the flavors explode in your mouth. I am trying to germinate seeds for this year however nothing sprouted. Beware of the thorns because they stick in you and you need a pin to remove the hook. I would definitely grow naranjilla again

47. HOOT & NANNY HOMESTEAD on September 18, 2021 at 12:05 am

I love English Ivy, but I keep it in a pot.

48. Jon Malkowvich on September 18, 2021 at 12:05 am

Do you grow figs? Thanks.

49. Aaric Hale on September 18, 2021 at 12:05 am

I ‘m in Zone 6 as well and I never had any luck with purple sprouting broccoli .

50. Backyard Gardening on September 18, 2021 at 12:06 am