Why Buying a Tower Garden May be a BIG Mistake

Why Buying a Tower Garden May be a BIG Mistake

John from http://www.growingyourgreens.com/ shares his opinions on the tower garden by juice plus. In this episode you will learn why purchasing a tower garden may be a big mistake. You will also learn some alternate ways to grow food at your home that is less expensive than the $500 Juice Plus Tower Garden.

After watching this episode, you will have a better understanding if you should spend your hard earned money on a tower garden or not!

Learn more about the Garden Tower at:

Learn how to grow microgreens at:

Learn how to Grow in the Snow – Will Allen’s Growing Power

Grow thru the winter using Compost to heat your hoophouse

Subscribe to GrowingYourGreens for more videos like this

1. Everhappy on September 18, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Your video convinced me so much…I just bought me a tower gardenπŸ˜†

2. Mathieu Renaud on September 18, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I like how he says that the plants are looking anemic. Of course any plant looks anemic because anemia is defined by the lack of red blood cell in the blood. If you see a plant with red blood cells, call me right up, because I would be really curious to see how those work

3. Fireguy97 on September 18, 2021 at 11:14 pm

"They probably don’t have everything that you need for the plants to grow properly." So you don’t know and haven’t researched it. Cool. Nice to know.

4. AYOG Agri-Venture on September 18, 2021 at 11:16 pm

well said. nice gaden

5. Peter K. on September 18, 2021 at 11:19 pm

Geez dude, relax

6. dream chaser on September 18, 2021 at 11:19 pm

I got nothing from the vid sorry did not understand i just want to know should i get the tower garden

7. Chet Chambers on September 18, 2021 at 11:23 pm

I’m not feeling it. I see a lot of wasted space and high power consumption to produce a small amount of food.

8. Tyson Mayberry on September 18, 2021 at 11:23 pm

this is as sidewalk peasant amatuer as it gets.

9. Sean Shaw on September 18, 2021 at 11:24 pm

The towers are cool. But it easier to grow in dirt. Nice part is you will be very good at finding pH levels once you have a garden tower. If maintained consistently it can be rewarding.

10. S Even on September 18, 2021 at 11:24 pm

It’s fine to disagree about Tower Garden. Instead of just spouting off, though, I prefer a researched approach: Great example: https://youtu.be/7sXpEOJMgCU

11. Ebola_AIDS_ISIS on September 18, 2021 at 11:26 pm

Love my tower garden. With good maintenance you see none of that buildup.
    My herbs and lettuce are ready to harvest. Peppers growing like weeds. Squash out of my ears..

12. Beautiful Abundance on September 18, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Hey John, I’m frankly really disappointed in the lack of research or knowledge base you put into this video. I really enjoyed some of your other videos on growing your own greens where you put in the time and energy to offer good information, so I thought you might have some actual info on this video. I know you were just passing through and wanted to capitalize on a chance to make a video, but perhaps a passing, "This looks cool, but you’ll need to do your own research" video would have been better than showing your ignorance on this topic. ❀️
    That being said, after doing my own research on the Tower Gardens available for in-home use, I have found that they are made of high quality UV-stabilized, BPA free, food grade plastic, not your run of the mill PVC pipe. The mineral blends are completely natural, and are listed very transparently on their website. I’ll paste the ingredient list below.
    The lights are actually very low draw LED grow lights, and the pump is very low wattage as well. My electrician said that the electrical draw is truly negligible.
    All that being said, I decided to try it out because I am a busy homeschooling mom of 5 with a farm, a house to remodel, and a garden outside, and I wanted an easy way to grow food in my kitchen year round. (You can also use this to grow outside without the lights if you want)
    I found that it is easy to use, the food on it is extremely clean and nutrient dense. My daughter who developed allergies to produce from the grocery store (Even organic produce) can enjoy produce from our tower with no problem. I don’t have to worry about weeding or watering systems, and my children have taken a new interest in gardening and eating greens, which is the biggest blessing! Oh, and it paid for itself in groceries within the first 6 months. πŸŽ‰ Also, I found out they have a no interest payment installment plan to make it easier for families to afford.
    And, bonus, these are actually being used in the middle of the Bronx (and other places) to teach students about food alongside classroom subjects as well as help provide families with food security options. I’m really excited about that!!
    Check out this video of what one man has been doing in the Bronx! https://youtu.be/9Dt0odlFzmQ

Here’s the ingredients in the mineral blends:
    Ingredients

β€’ β€’ Sulfur (S) – 3.0%
    β€’ Boron (B) – 0.01%
    β€’ β€’ Copper (Cu) – 0.001%
    β€’ Manganese (Mn) – 0.01%
    β€’ β€’ Molybdenum (Mo) – 0.0005%
    β€’ Zinc (Zn) – 0.005%
    β€’ Derived from: Potassium Nitrate, Potassium Sulfate, Magnesium Sulfate, Boric Acid, Copper Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Sodium Molybdate, Zinc Sulfate, Phosphoric Acid

I found this info on the FAQs page of the Tower Garden website. 🌈

13. Koltrasten on September 18, 2021 at 11:31 pm

wow.. your arguments are so weak πŸ˜€
    It shows how little you know about this way of growing

14. Rain Cloud on September 18, 2021 at 11:32 pm

I’m really sorry that I can’t understand when people speak English so fastly. This theme would interest
    me very much.

15. RaymondJacob0922 on September 18, 2021 at 11:37 pm

this video, so many reasons not to subscribe to this guy…

16. Rain Cloud on September 18, 2021 at 11:38 pm

And where are the subtitles?

17. Fababy Baby on September 18, 2021 at 11:39 pm

this is shameless self promotion, so fucking biased its sad.

18. darknovaproductions on September 18, 2021 at 11:41 pm

The garden tower system I bought was a huge mistake. I bought the My Gardyn. It doesn’t work as advertised and I’m on my second failed unit. I had better luck with a 5 gallon bucket and 300 w grow lights on a $10 timer.

19. The Awkward Curry Pot on September 18, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Chemophobia+natural fallacy

20. 0H3353 on September 18, 2021 at 11:46 pm

The guy comes off as a bit strange but I agree 500 bucks for what amounts to a heat-molded 14inch pipe and a fish pump is a madness. Maybe they have upgraded but they used to use a screw as a backing for the seedling. Don’t get me wrong they work but they are charging a king’s ransom for plumbing parts and individual packets of nutrients that you can buy by the kilo for like 1/100th what they charge.

21. Anna Graham on September 18, 2021 at 11:46 pm

You are providing Wrong information. The fertiliser is absolutely not synthetic. It is not a hydroponic system, rather an aeroponic system – so please get your facts straight before commenting on anything. At least we can see straight through you and your motives.

22. Pal Kokity on September 18, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Wow. This guy’s weak argument would so quickly be shot down if there was someone competent there to defend the bater-based tower system. His own system has plenty of flaws to it that make it a risky system to use indoors. The crystalized chemicals are probably there because they are probably maintained by minimum wage employees, not farmers (of any type). The company representative probably only shows up once every couple of weeks to check on things. Did he just seriously try to say that runoff from these will pollute the Gulf of mexico?!?! Wow, how? Did he just walk (or bicycle) to o’hare or use some petroleum-guzzling vehicle to get there to tell us how bad these towers are for the environment?! It is an enclosed system that recycles the water! For larger follage/greens, the larger towers are better. The smaller tower that he is promoting has holes that are more closely packed together which, I would think, would be more efficient for smaller greens/herbs. If his mini towers were on display there, chances are that the o’hare electricians would likely choose the wrong lighting for them as well, duh!

23. Muzzled Won on September 18, 2021 at 11:47 pm

If you do it naturally you need lots of soil which in turn you need lots of space

24. Tylr Pearson on September 18, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Ya lick it? Could be calcium build up and not salt.

25. Melvin Niska on September 18, 2021 at 11:49 pm

Somebody has no idea about Tower Garden

26. Haziq Aizat on September 18, 2021 at 11:50 pm

you keep busting them, they making more money hahaha. not a good factual opinion you give. just from your thoughts.

27. Mark OC on September 18, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Hydroponics does not ‘grow in accordance with nature’???
    ‘Where does the salt go when you clean it?’
    The ignorance of this content creator is really disappointing.

28. Cekiert on September 18, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Hydroponics has its place and it’s not in a airport. It needs attention to nutrient levels quite often. Soil based farming uses more water generally, aquaponics is really the best method but hydroponics or aquaponics based applications save 90% of the water loss of typical soil based methods. Hydroponics and aquaponics balance water nutrients and oxygen to the roots leading to a plant focusing on leaves flowers and fruit and not roots leading to a plant growing twice as fast

29. Kevin Pomey on September 18, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Yeah most people are eating whatever the grocery store shoves down their throat. I have no backyard. I live in the downtown district of a metropolitan. Ontop of it I have a garden level apartment that gets basically no sun. My gardyn system with my own plant supplements is 10x anything I can buy around here. This was splitting split hairs

30. N. Oinal on September 18, 2021 at 11:54 pm

You are just plain stupid! Its been studied and have extensive research but your understanding with tower garden really unbelievable. Dirt has a lot of contaminants. Wow! Stupidity at its finest.

31. noremac cystoms on September 18, 2021 at 11:55 pm

Hi..
    Are any health benefits lost from using lights instead of the sun..

32. Shirley-Ann Chapelle on September 18, 2021 at 11:56 pm

John I think you need to do some research my friend! Chemicals, fertilizers, no not in Tower Garden!!Its an organic nutrient that’s added when necessary β€œ&” you check the PH regularly. It’s a Vertical, Aeroponic, Growing System. Maybe you should research Tim Blanks the creator of this before you put this system dwn. The misting occurs for 5 minutes every 40 minutes. I’m sorry but trying to exist on micro greens grown on a window sill in the dead of winter is hardly enough nourishment. Yah raised gardening in a tiny condo…..😜πŸ€ͺ

33. hunter benoit on September 18, 2021 at 11:56 pm

This guy’s just gonna give you major pest problems do NOT bring soil into your’ dwelling while growing you WILL attract bugs
    If hydroponics was bad plants wouldn’t grow in the salty ocean

34. xyork on September 18, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Apparently he knows almost NOTHING about this subject. If he does, then it isn’t expressed very well at all.

35. nader achkar on September 18, 2021 at 11:59 pm

soil = problems !

36. John Wirchnianski on September 18, 2021 at 11:59 pm

Great Job. Good info to know

37. nacs on September 19, 2021 at 12:00 am

This guy is a moron

38. SeamusHarper1234 on September 19, 2021 at 12:03 am

I am so conflicted by this video. While I love his passion about growing naturally, I don’t like bashing hydroponics. Especially on such a great project that is intended to raise peoples awareness about food and growing..

39. Jevon Boardman on September 19, 2021 at 12:03 am

Not the natural way to grow food. Now that’s funny. There’s nothing natural about the status quo of agronomics. It’s all a result of botany by desire:)

40. lynda nguyen on September 19, 2021 at 12:03 am

wow hes bashing and to sell his products. I just bought one and theres no fertilizer blah blah or fake whatever hes saying here..you’re full of it!! Everyone i know that has a tower is so happy about their tower. We are happy clients here.

41. Josh LP on September 19, 2021 at 12:05 am

Sooo… Is anyone going to address the meteor out his window around 1:12???? I mean, that’s huge and falling slowly…. JS…

42. Clarence Healy on September 19, 2021 at 12:06 am

The use of synthetic fertilizer is definitely not the way to grow our foods, we are poisoning our bodies with chemicals.

43. Regina Delahoussaye on September 19, 2021 at 12:06 am

OMGosh! Just a guy dissing his competitor. Stop being jealous!

44. Pal Kokity on September 19, 2021 at 12:08 am

Also, don’t get him started on how expensive it is to build the patio or greenhouse to put them in/on. Or, how bad the building materials for said structures will be for the Gulf of Mexico. It’s a good thing that his vertical system is made of all natural materials and left out in nature to most correctly emulate it!

45. Fares Hajjar on September 19, 2021 at 12:08 am

Lots and lots and lots of plastic needed. Water is in plastic. Pipes are plastic. Plants grow in plastic. You replaced soil with plastic.

46. Michele Romero on September 19, 2021 at 12:09 am

Just the title alone of this video gives me red flags from taking any advice from this channel.

47. Humphreys Jeff on September 19, 2021 at 12:10 am

You are way off on the price it is 2000.00 not including fertilizer and possible lights that is very expensive vegetables…

48. Michael Elliott on September 19, 2021 at 12:10 am

Yeah – this guy has not a clue on the Tower Garden

49. NOJ on September 19, 2021 at 12:11 am

5:40 – Bold claim. Especially as this is an indoor closed indoor system. Seems very unlikely that any of it will make it out to the Gulf of Mexico. If they are dumping the water it would be into an indoor drain, which should go back into the water system to be treated – if the American government is allowing wastewater to be dumped, untreated, into the Gulf of Mexico then maybe American’s should insist their government does more to stop this happening (Bring in more regulations and fines on those that do it. Better funding for water treatment. Etc.)

50. Elny Widjaja on September 19, 2021 at 12:12 am

I think Tower Garden is also the solution for urban people who want to grow food plants but don’t have time to nurture them.