Don't attempt BASE PREP until you see this video! Base Prep basics to make your project last.

Using road-base to create a hard, flat surface for paving stone, natural stone, and large format tile installations.

#DIY #hardscape #screeding #pavingstones #landscaping

1. Tom Cook on September 19, 2021 at 10:59 pm

Looking for perfection here, can I use stakes at a 6′ interval within the build area to help get a better level for the roadbase? If I do, should I just sprinkle in material to the holes when I pull the stakes and then compact that area?

2. Lipeamos06 on September 19, 2021 at 11:03 pm

Is there a difference in compaction between the Hand and the Pate Compactor? Obviously the Plate compactor will be faster but, if i use a hand tamper and really go at it, will it still give me a good base?

3. Rollin_Homies on September 19, 2021 at 11:06 pm

Watching this, I understand why people pass and just pour concrete.

4. Jon Davey on September 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

Really like the string line level technique

5. Da Hawk on September 19, 2021 at 11:07 pm

That Compactor sucks, when are you guys going to use a proper compactor

6. Joe Average on September 19, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Two questions. 1rst: road base is it the same as crushed gravel? 2nd: is the sub base just the ground after you dig down to the height needed for the full stack up including the pavers?
    Also the plastic edging, you responded to the lady bellow that the plastic edging should be 6 inches within and on top of the road base after it has been leveled. Thanks

7. Kimberley S on September 19, 2021 at 11:08 pm

Hey Kevin! Your videos are very informative! I had a question for you, if you don’t mind. We’re going to be doing a DIY patio at home this weekend which is going to be surrounding by grass on all 4 sides (grass that already exists). So my question is regarding the posts and string line we’ll be creating so that we know the dimensions of the patio itself. What is the proper practice, however, if we will also need to install paver edging (the plastic kind) – do we need to excavate further out from our actual patio size? My concern in doing that is that we will end up digging up our posts and lose our level string lines – as well as the fact that we wouldn’t need to dig as deep for the edging. So curious on the best practice in a situation like this. Thanks so much!

8. John Brennan on September 19, 2021 at 11:09 pm

Should the base be flat and level or flow away from the house for water drainage?

9. bigmercury1 on September 19, 2021 at 11:11 pm

Use the knee pads lol

10. Grahame Heatlie on September 19, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Your base prep is as gra’a’vv’e’e’lly as your voice.. on those lo’o’o’w notes….

11. Adan Rodriguez on September 19, 2021 at 11:12 pm

So you follow that step all around ? So dig down to cover 6 inch road base + 1 inch sand + 2 3/8 paver. So measure all 3. And that’s how you know hot much to dig???

12. AJ’s Green Thumb, LLC on September 19, 2021 at 11:12 pm

Man this is some serious prep! Quite impressive and your clients must truly appreciate your work!!

13. Jacob Belfield on September 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

I was looking for a strategy to compact sub-base soil (when you add the thin first layer)! Thank-you but I have a question. Does compacting any base material work on on wet soil? I would think the moisture would prevent full compaction.

14. Don Johnson on September 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Thanks for the training/education. Does frost or what weather conditions will change the surface height after your sub grade? What is recommended for slope for drainage?

15. Brad Lewis on September 19, 2021 at 11:13 pm

Q: Is the 4-6" tamped base the same if your burying french drains etc. or do you have to generally start your tamped stone; from that base (of the drains)?

16. Verner Blaylock on September 19, 2021 at 11:15 pm

good shit homie

17. silvio castano on September 19, 2021 at 11:15 pm

Nonsense video!!

18. Anonymous Prepper on September 19, 2021 at 11:17 pm

no issues?

19. MeQc on September 19, 2021 at 11:17 pm

I dig 4 feet. 2feet sand 2 feet roadbase + rock powder for the bed

20. luis batista on September 19, 2021 at 11:17 pm

Typical contractors truck broken into patched window – sad really guy busts his balls and scums try to rob him of his livelyhood great video👍👍👍🇨🇦

21. mp3 $1 on September 19, 2021 at 11:23 pm

People you don’t need all of this he’s talking about. I do concrete sidewalks and other cement/concrete work, never use any of this only level the dirt you already have and make a good cement mix and it’ll last you 15- 20 years. Most of the time YouTube videos only have one purpose and that’s to get your subscription and like to reach their goal and get paid.

22. thomas robinette on September 19, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Just pour concrete

23. Total_Panini on September 19, 2021 at 11:25 pm

Thanks for the informative video! Noticing there are some pvc pipes close to the home at 3:56 that look like drainage.

How did you tackle paving around that? Any concerns with the pipes being underneath pavers? Asking because we have a similar scenario. 🙏

24. MuTe on September 19, 2021 at 11:27 pm

Level to line screed…so frkn simple. Man I feel stupid…awesome.

25. Juan Carlos Hincapié on September 19, 2021 at 11:30 pm

I really appreciate the detailed info, the thorough explanations, & the cross-section view. It reminded me of a college class I once took.
    Very cool. Thanks for your work on the quality video.
    Respect.

26. Steve Crumly on September 19, 2021 at 11:31 pm

When going up to a house or structure, what kind of grade is necessary to keep water from coming back to structure

27. Steven C on September 19, 2021 at 11:32 pm

Question: I’m adding a 4X8 area with either brick trim/concrete or just pavers to a patio area. Should I do the three lifts? Thank you for the string line-level idea.

28. c7wc on September 19, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Your customers are definitely getting their money’s worth! Good to see someone take real pride in their work 👍

29. Mauzyrock RC on September 19, 2021 at 11:34 pm

How do you address drainage? Will water run down a grade? Or seep through pavers etc? Or is there a water management system in place?

30. Heidi Dawn Ballard on September 19, 2021 at 11:34 pm

Installed hundreds of patios, should run the compactor from outside working your way to the middle,otherwise you’re you pushing the gravel to the sides.Looks

31. Jimmy Chung on September 19, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Hey Kevin, perhaps I missed it in your video but when would you set your slope (or grade)? For example, while compacting the sub-grade or when your setting the roadbase.

TIA

32. LearningByWatching101 on September 19, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Hello! I’m new to landscaping and I was hoping you could tell me how to get the load bearing dirt? Can you buy it? We have a tree stump in our front yard of the house we just bought and when we remove it I need to add really compacted soil because it’s on a hill. Do they sell it at Home Depot? Thanks for all this amazing information!

33. free_at_last on September 19, 2021 at 11:36 pm

Really well done. Thank you for taking the time to make this video.

34. Anonymous Prepper on September 19, 2021 at 11:37 pm

I worry about holding moisture and freeze thaw.

35. Odb Guy on September 19, 2021 at 11:37 pm

Brill video .. have you done your more in-depth video on screeding yet??

36. G W on September 19, 2021 at 11:41 pm

If I’m just building a 3 ft high block wall, I don’t need to pour concrete for the base, just tap grade yeh

37. Adamsons 2 on September 19, 2021 at 11:44 pm

This is excellent. That’s a lot of crushed rocks. I have to use sand

38. Robert Gibson on September 19, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Excellent. Thats how I do it.

39. Keo Phommasenh on September 19, 2021 at 11:46 pm

This guy is where it’s at! Thank you

40. Dan Williams on September 19, 2021 at 11:48 pm

All in the prep…well done!

41. Robert Bowen on September 19, 2021 at 11:48 pm

Definitely the best pad prep video, by far, that I’ve been able to find in two weeks of looking. The video is enough and not too much, and not a bunch of self gratifying content. I really would like to thank you for your whole package on this video. There are a few OK ones out there, But yours leaves nothing lacking. I excavated two pads here in Hawaii on muck at one site and pretty much solid rock on another. We filled with stone and I compressed the substrate with a 5,000lb tractor. Most stuff on Youtube is working on soil, and it is too different to tie in on most parts. But yours fits in any circumstance. This is my first time from the ground up on a house, though I’ve done everything else on buildings for years. And I’ve been pretty frustrated searching the videos, until now.

42. Levi Godwin on September 19, 2021 at 11:52 pm

How do you slope it? My hole property is on a small slope and I’m having a hard time visualizing how to do this correctly so the water runs down the drive way (Mine is on the side of my house not in front so I want it to run down the hill)

43. Ryan Lillie on September 19, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Should use a road bass fabric to keep the gravel from migrating into the sub soil. And you should lay you wall and step stones in a angular clear stone.

44. nature views on September 19, 2021 at 11:52 pm
  45. Alan Francis on September 19, 2021 at 11:53 pm

Great video .

46. Krzysztof Zalewski on September 19, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Damn, no bullshit, quick video with everything in it, thanks!

47. At Ease on September 19, 2021 at 11:54 pm

Love the enthusiasm

48. Gieselman on September 19, 2021 at 11:55 pm

What type of rock for the lift?

49. Persistent One on September 19, 2021 at 11:57 pm

You are using a 3/4" rock – with fines added – for your base. How do you feel about using just a 3/4 clear drain rock for this layer and then using a 1/4 inch clear drain rock on top of this to lay the pavers on top of? Of course, you level those layers. I have had problems with 3/4 inch rock with lots of fines added not draining well.

50. DH L on September 19, 2021 at 11:57 pm

what plate compactor do you use? 2000 lb?