How to plant Herbs in Containers- Its SO EASY! || Black Gumbo

How to plant Herbs in Containers- Its SO EASY! || Black Gumbo

Grab some herbs from the grocery store Spring plant display and put them in a pot. Its pretty simple, but in my video I’ll show you some tips that will have you feeling like an accomplished gardener, whether you live on a farm or in an apartment.

Black Gumbo shares our suburban, backyard, sustainable gardening efforts. We work a small-scale, typical Zone 9a garden and raised beds, the kind of gardening accessible to all. We tend to take the slice of life approach and hope you will enjoy our family, our dog, our cooking, our adventures, and occasionally some commentary and advice. We love family, joy and friendship, and we invite you to enjoy these things with us!

Please subscribe to our channel:

Visit us on Facebook:

Follow us on Instagram;

We’d be so grateful if you would like and share our videos if you find them useful. It helps us immensely.

1. Forgiven 212 on September 22, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Watching this at 0500 from Colorado while I get ready for my 12+ hour shift as a RN. Very relaxing and I realized: I need a Herb Garden!!! πŸ™ŒπŸ˜πŸ€·β€β™€οΈπŸ™‡β€β™€οΈπŸ™‡β€β™€οΈπŸ™‡β€β™€οΈ

2. David Reynvoet on September 22, 2021 at 11:22 pm

Rosemary doesn’t like rich soil. They love to be dry as well.

3. Candida Merritt on September 22, 2021 at 11:24 pm

Hi that’s rose Mary The grow big bushes. I love thyme I use for everything!

4. Jeff Dinter on September 22, 2021 at 11:27 pm

I Googled and found that there are Nursery pens that are long-lasting for writing on labels. I would like to go to college

5. R G on September 22, 2021 at 11:27 pm

6. Victoria Bishop on September 22, 2021 at 11:28 pm

I, too, love Rosemary. I have two large pot full at the entry to my courtyard and two more by the front door. Everyone who visits comments on the smell. I have read it keeps mosquitoes away…but, I have my doubts. Then again, in my area…Mobile, AL..I doubt anything will keep those little pests away.

7. Miss Maru on September 22, 2021 at 11:28 pm

I just started on a super small garden and this is super helpful!

8. Emily M on September 22, 2021 at 11:28 pm

My moms had a rosemary tree in a container in my back yard for years, she never repots it or gives it fertilizer she just ignores it and it flourishes πŸ˜‚

9. Robert Morrison on September 22, 2021 at 11:29 pm

How often do you have to water these herbs?

10. Suzanne Squire on September 22, 2021 at 11:29 pm

I use fresh rosemary and thyme in chicken salad!

11. RLB Gardener on September 22, 2021 at 11:31 pm

Hi Scott, have you tried any of the flavored mints like the chocolate, orange, and lemon mints great for teas, and coffee.

12. Anne Sansone on September 22, 2021 at 11:42 pm

I have had trouble with rosemary too. it gets too humid here and causes root rot. I’ve been having better luck with a cactus mix. Thyme is much the same. zone 9b

13. Mari's Vegetable Garden on September 22, 2021 at 11:43 pm

How have I not found you in the past you have some great videos!

14. David Poland on September 22, 2021 at 11:43 pm

I was told it is hard to get started rosemary but once you successfully get it to overwinter once, it will thrive for years. You can do it, Scott. Just keep trying.

15. Leslie Boyette on September 22, 2021 at 11:45 pm

Easy to root rosemary cuttings. Finish a steak using thyme rosemary garlic parsley.sauteed in butter ! mmmmm

16. av mail on September 22, 2021 at 11:46 pm

Thanks for your great vid scott, I love rosemary as well, across the street my neighbor has tons growing like trees but I haven’t been able to keep one alive for the life of me

17. Susan Schexsnayder on September 22, 2021 at 11:47 pm

You can also put tiny gravel in the bottom with a cloth in the bottom too

18. S.E. Hull on September 22, 2021 at 11:51 pm

I garden in zone 9a. I have not had much luck with rosemary. I love it and know it grows here. I may try again. Please keep us updated on your progress. God bless

19. Brooke Busby on September 22, 2021 at 11:51 pm

where did you get your plant stands? beautiful video!

20. Donna Marie on September 22, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Thank you, Black Gumbo, I’m a newbie small space "shade" patio Gardner here in zone 9 Sacramento, Ca! I learn so much from your channel so thanks again so much πŸ™‚

21. Ocean on September 22, 2021 at 11:52 pm

Thank you Scott for sharing your easy tips. You know how to simplify for beginners.

22. Frank Solis on September 22, 2021 at 11:56 pm

I will 2nd the comment on Rosemary…I just potted to Rosemary plants and stop to touch & smell it….

23. Political Boffin, PhD on September 22, 2021 at 11:56 pm

You’re at your best talking about plants like Rosemary. Ain’t it the truth, taking Rosemary with ya Vitamin C. Eaglegards…

24. kitkatrn on September 22, 2021 at 11:56 pm

my sister has a rosemary bush that is huge growing in her front yard…. suggestion when it gets to big for the pot plant in yard area… it will grow… she lives in east texas area
    Love your video..thanks

25. Late Boomer on September 22, 2021 at 11:56 pm

I had an awesome Rosemary bush it was growing right along next to a tree in my back yard. Then I transplanted it to a bigger pot and it died. I think the soil I used was contaminated, I got it from a neighbors yard. I’ll never do that again.

Anyway rosemary is awesome on chicken. Just take a sprig about 5 inches long, tear off the little leaves and sprinkle it over chicken. I tenderizes anything you cook with it and it tastes amazing. Not to mention the smell in the neighborhood will help you make friends really quickly.

Thanks for the vid.

26. Janette Lavender on September 22, 2021 at 11:58 pm

Yesterday I found a nice organic rosemary plant in the produce section of Walmart that was much healthier than the Bonnie rosemary. I quickly returned the Bonnie plant to the rack and bought that organic plant. It looked so much better and was cheaper than the Bonnie. Rosemary can be brought inside to overwinter in cold climates but it must be kept moist. Cuttings are also very easy to grow. πŸ˜‰

27. Jesper Andersen on September 23, 2021 at 12:01 am

I’d love to start actually using my potted herbs in my cooking. Can you direct me to a link to some of your cooking videos that you mention? Or was it a blog? πŸ™‚ Keep up the great videos! πŸ™‚

28. Rose Jafari on September 23, 2021 at 12:03 am

Try mixing mint in plain yogurt and use it on rice dishes or add some water to have a cool refreshing drink. These are middle- east ways to use mint as well as just eating it with food. Enjoy.

29. Lisa Mason on September 23, 2021 at 12:03 am

Hello Scott have you ever tried square gardening? Love your YouTube video. Thanks for all your information.

30. Sharon Swift on September 23, 2021 at 12:04 am

Thanks Scott

31. mark toth on September 23, 2021 at 12:04 am

This gentlemen is good, thanks for taking time to share with us, excited to try some of the vegetables and herbs per your wisdom. Keep them coming for us!

32. S R on September 23, 2021 at 12:07 am

I love to cook with mint.
    Rosemary, thyme, basil i love water cress but can’t grow it any suggestions?

33. Gloria A on September 23, 2021 at 12:09 am

I appreciate your dislike of corporate logos hanging in the garden. It’s about the plants!

34. Jude on September 23, 2021 at 12:16 am

Hi Scott, how do you harvest the cilantro? We seem to have a problem with it bolting before we can pick it. Here in Kentucky it’s really hot and humid. Thanks

35. Debra Springers on September 23, 2021 at 12:16 am

I really like using mint I have a delicious salad recipe that calls for mint . I also use mint and ice water it’s refreshing I think you would like it?

36. Susan Carrington on September 23, 2021 at 12:19 am

Great video! If you’re ever in North Texas, come look at my garden and give me and others some advice. I struggle about soil, bugs, weather! I’m about to give up.