Container Herb Gardening: Refreshing Soil, Fertilizing, Saving Old Herbs, Seeding Basil & Oregano

In this video on container gardening I show you how to refresh and make container mix. As well as fertilize it with organic fertilizer. I build a complete herb garden on a shelving system to save space and replant my over-wintered herbs. Add in seed planting basil and oregano and a water soluble fertilizing and you have a complete herb garden. Plus I show you the growth 14 days later.

Please Help Support My Channel: The Rusted Garden – Thanks!

Please Visit The Rusted Garden Seed & Garden Shop: https://www.therustedgarden.com/

Shop on Amazon and Support The Rusted Garden for Free:
You can support The Rusted Garden by using this link for anything you purchase on Amazon. It doesn’t have to be garden related. Anything you purchase gives a % return back to The Rusted Garden
http://amzn.to/2ttyray Thanks for using my link. It helps fund my garden videos!

Subscribe to My YouTube Channel (800 Garden Videos) – The Rusted Garden: https://www.youtube.com/user/pilarchik

Follow me on Instagram for Harvest Pictures, Updates and Monthly Give-Aways: https://www.instagram.com/therustedgarden/

Worm Castings: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on VermisTerra Products at https://vermisterra.com/

Vertical Gardening: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on GreenStalk Products at https://greenstalkgarden.com/ You can also use this link and automatically get the discount http://store.greenstalkgarden.com/?afmc=therustedgarden

Garden Shelving Systems: Use the Discount Code THERUSTEDGARDEN on Shirley’s Simple Shelving and Raised Bed Products at http://www.shirleyssimpleshelving.com/

Visit My Original Blog The Rusted Vegetable Garden: https://therustedgarden.blogspot.com/

Contact Me at therustedgarden@gmail.com

1. Chad Alleyne on September 30, 2021 at 7:48 am

Hi gary can thyme survive in a self watering planter my mom bought it for me just asking if it can work

2. Betty Spencer on September 30, 2021 at 7:51 am

OMG, Gary, you’re good! I have a hard time achieving germination! I’m trying to grow in an apartment so if you know of anyone doing successful indoor vegetables, please let me know or send me a link. Thanks!

3. Emily Homesteader on September 30, 2021 at 7:52 am

I actually did the almost-impossible a couple of yrs ago – started lavender from seed! I did it by sowing probably a couple dozen seeds. One germinated, lol. But there it sits, I guess forever, in our front yard, making bees and butterflies happy. πŸ™‚

4. miriamm1914 on September 30, 2021 at 7:52 am

Love your videos so instructive.

5. C Rowe on September 30, 2021 at 7:56 am

Thanks so much. My mint and thyme always came back but NOW I know how to refresh them! Thanks again.

6. Roslyn Dummett on September 30, 2021 at 7:57 am

love the thunder storm in the background Gary, the shelveing system is the go, how wide does it measure as I only have 1.5 meters width where my containers are…Rozz…Brisbane…Australia

7. Jen's2scents on September 30, 2021 at 7:58 am

How long is fertilizer good for? Should I buy it new each year?

8. Mc ViD on September 30, 2021 at 7:59 am

Thai gardind

9. Christal Scott on September 30, 2021 at 8:03 am

Great video, this year is the first year l am using old soil from my vegetables container garden save all of it in a large trash can l brought, ok to the question: can you send me the recipe you use to reuse the old soil, I have all purpose plant food, garden lime, should use this or something else thank you

10. Parvathy Jayanthi Venukumar on September 30, 2021 at 8:03 am

it was an interesting and informative video.

11. Mc ViD on September 30, 2021 at 8:04 am

Thai Hardin day

12. linnea kokinos on September 30, 2021 at 8:04 am

Should I have a concern about planning food in plastic container, I been told never drink from a water bottle that been left in the car sitting hot sun for after a several hours.

13. A K on September 30, 2021 at 8:05 am

Great video. Poor plants. Their taking a beating πŸ˜‚

14. Isabel S on September 30, 2021 at 8:05 am

How often do you water them, especially the lavender and rosemary? Excellent video.

15. Plain Jane on September 30, 2021 at 8:09 am

Gary is a root tearing savage! That made me laugh! Thx for your content as always πŸ˜‰

16. Charles N. on September 30, 2021 at 8:09 am

Hello Gary….I’m growing tomatoes and peppers. Is this soil revamping for all plants, same method for tomato and peppers or just for herbs? I’m going in containers for the first time ever and purchasing soil was expensive for me. I would like to not only continue growing but expanding my container garden. Thanks.

17. Samantha Poole on September 30, 2021 at 8:10 am

Could you refresh the soil that was used for tomatoes and peppers?

18. ChrisW on September 30, 2021 at 8:10 am

Great video. What water soluable fertilizer did you use? the only one I have on me is the fish emulsion. I have been considering something else to for my outside/inside in the winter house plants (not vegetables). I have a ton of old dirt in my garage that hasn’t been used in ages. But learning how to bring it back to life is epic. Stay cool. I know there is a heat wave up in that area much like the south this time of year.

19. Randi L on September 30, 2021 at 8:11 am

I loved the storm at the end!☺️

20. kane sugar on September 30, 2021 at 8:11 am

You are the best! Thanks for sharing.

21. moet131 on September 30, 2021 at 8:11 am

If I’m just starting to grow herbs. What kind of container mix would I add with the peat moss & fertilizer

22. jack rudden on September 30, 2021 at 8:12 am

god gary you coulee been stuck. then we wouldn’t have had anymore vids

23. A Glaser on September 30, 2021 at 8:15 am

I listen to your videos at work while filling out forms. Has anyone ever told you that your voice sounds like Vincent Price? Thanks for the tips!

24. Heartland Light on September 30, 2021 at 8:17 am

Gary, I’m 75 and new to gardening – on my deck. You’re my primary learning asset. Thanks. Where can I find the tiered stand you use here?

25. Dave Finney on September 30, 2021 at 8:18 am

Thank you for this video on herbs. I haven has much luck with them. This will help me.

26. Mary Had A Little Farm on September 30, 2021 at 8:18 am

Love love love the rain and thunder in the background. It doesn’t stop us crazy Gardner’s. Now that’s organic β›ˆ

27. Lc Clark on September 30, 2021 at 8:18 am

Amazing amount of great information! Thank you so much Gary! I’ve been struggling to for several years, to have a successful container garden; as an apartment dweller with a sunny patio. I now own my own home and I’m really excited to do things right vs guessing. I have seedlings indoors waiting for the last frost here in Buffalo. Determined not to flop I’ve been scouring the tube for help. I found you last night and have watched several of your videos. Out of all the gardeners I’ve watched so far I think you are the best. You have truly given me confidence. From creating my first wicking systems for my 5 gallon containers. To the excellent scoop about Shirley’s Shelving (I was desperate for a space solutions what a Godsend), to the organization. I am SUPER excited as I feel equipped with the proper knowledge to succeed! A million thank yous. I will be studying your videos because I have a problem where I kill my basils, rosemary, cilantro, thyme, even lemon balm. I feel you will help me become the urban farmer I desire to be. Stay safe and thank you again!!!!

28. Gardiner's Pets on September 30, 2021 at 8:18 am

great video and some awesome advice. πŸ™‚

29. Damaskin Fedorov on September 30, 2021 at 8:20 am

Hello Harry, how are your hot peppers

30. Natasha Howard on September 30, 2021 at 8:21 am

For the chive, the plants should single out and planted separately to avoid competition among the transition of root formation.

31. Deep Patel on September 30, 2021 at 8:23 am

Great video

32. Dee Myers on September 30, 2021 at 8:26 am

Thanks

33. Brad Carby on September 30, 2021 at 8:28 am

Arrogant twat.

34. Marcia Ogasawara on September 30, 2021 at 8:30 am

I am just blown away by how much growth you had of your herbs in just two weeks. I bought a rosemary plant and transplanted it into the ground because I worried that the excessive heat was inhibiting it’s growth. It looks green but it doesn’t look any bigger than when I originally purchased it about 2 months ago. I’m wondering if I should move it back into a container with a better mix like you make? Unless rosemary is a slow grower?

35. M Membreno on September 30, 2021 at 8:31 am

I have herbs in a metal bucket. Is it better if I move them to a plastic container?

36. Kim Martin on September 30, 2021 at 8:32 am

Did you grow the lavender from seed?

37. Afham Ameer on September 30, 2021 at 8:33 am

how many holes do i need to drill in my terrcotta pot and how big should they be?

38. Traci Veno on September 30, 2021 at 8:34 am

Fun! Love the thunder at the end.

39. Docbrownsgreenthumb on September 30, 2021 at 8:35 am

Hi Gary, great video as always. If I had powdery mildew last year can I reuse the soil?

40. sn232 on September 30, 2021 at 8:35 am

Great video! Gary, are your herb self-watering boxes a food grade plastic? If they are, where did you buy them? And how often do you water your herbs? Thanks πŸ™‚

41. Spirit Led Cottage on September 30, 2021 at 8:35 am

Oh my goodness!!! Thank you so much for the update and bless you for doing it under a storm! I love these tips I’m a new gardener and this inspires me. I’m applying the teachings as soon as I watch them. I’ve learned I need water soluble fertilizer on my herbs. I planted cilantro 2 weeks ago and I have nothing yet. Lol
    Much appreciated!

42. Bill Triano sr. on September 30, 2021 at 8:36 am

How often do you revitalize containers mix?

43. debbles on September 30, 2021 at 8:36 am

I have an area I could grow in however my neighbors oleander bushes over hang there and drop leaves and flower on that area. Would that make it not safe to grow vegetables there? Any ones thought on this?

44. nopes on September 30, 2021 at 8:37 am

Thanks so much I love your videos

45. Evelyn Bravo-Sanchez on September 30, 2021 at 8:37 am

Ok water soluble fertilizer, please please give me a brand that you use and how do you mix it for your herbs? Example: 1 gallon how many tsp? for potted herbs. Thanks.

46. Metcraft on September 30, 2021 at 8:37 am

Grab it like your grabbing a ponytail πŸ˜‰ LOL

47. Basilio Bastardo on September 30, 2021 at 8:41 am

Be carefull with dust..

48. SantaAnaRoadWildman on September 30, 2021 at 8:42 am

Thanks Gary. Plug & play herbs. The few terracotta pots I have seem to be good for my thyme as it doesn’t seem to mind drying out once in a while. Happy 4th! Wow, sounds like you got a summer storm brewing! Time to enjoy some IPAs!

49. Van Guillamun on September 30, 2021 at 8:43 am

This guy is rough lolll

50. Patches O'R on September 30, 2021 at 8:44 am

One of your best videos yet IMHO. Thanks. I agree with you re Basil…I grow everything from seed as its more cost effective and I’m assured of getting healthy plants.