DIY Simple Concrete Garden Box – PART 1 – Make the Forms

DIY Simple Concrete Garden Box – PART 1 – Make the Forms

Make your own Concrete Garden Boxes with these simple wooden forms! Follow along with this detailed 2 part tutorial. Build the forms and cast your own strong, long-lasting concrete panels that join together to make the ultimate in durable garden boxes. This is THE DIY version of these forms as very few tools are required. I’ll make the easiest, simplest, and cheapest form yet. This is a two part series.

SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/manabouttools?sub_confirmation=1

GARDEN BOX PLANS: https://manabouttools.com/product/concrete-garden-box-panels-version-iv-digital-plan/

BLOG POST and SUPPLIES, HARDWARE, and TOOLS for this project (affiliate links)

TOOLS I USE: https://manabouttools.com/tools-i-use/

My VIDEO GEAR: https://manabouttools.com/tools-i-use/ (affiliate links)

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/manabouttools/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/manabouttools
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manabouttools
Website: https://MANaboutTOOLS.com
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/manabouttools

DISCLAIMERS:
Some of these links have an affiliate code, if you purchase tools with these links I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! The tools or equipment seen in this video and have been purchased ourselves.

#gardening #concrete #gardenbox

1. Jeremy Huggins on September 30, 2021 at 7:54 am

What are the measurements for the 1X4 pieces?

2. Andy Gunn on September 30, 2021 at 7:58 am

Superb Video…. Congratulations…

3. Alexander Simeonov on September 30, 2021 at 7:59 am

Thank you! You’ve inspired me and I’ve done about 60 panels. A bit different design. Instead of cutting base you can just use a piece 5x5x12,5 cm (2x2x5 in) attached permanently to one 25 cm(10 in) board. I find this easier way.

4. RCP Pop on September 30, 2021 at 8:00 am

Awe man no way! This is a great video series but I say find the straightest boards you can find without any twists but pick out the gnarliest knottiest heavy grained wood you can find for the face! I’d even sand blast them! Talk about a killer detail when you remove the forms! Then you could stain em hella sick!

Great video man!

5. Gábor Gusztáv Megyeri on September 30, 2021 at 8:00 am

I’m planning to try it out, however this can be made even simpler with a basic rectangular base and attaching sides to that then cut four smaller pieces for an L shape insert to the ends. Cutting the L shape into the base makes it a bit more complicated build than necessary, especially when using handsaws only. Also the L shape will not really need any support from the base, it gets supported from the sides.

6. 8BitLife on September 30, 2021 at 8:03 am

Why mineral oil and not a polyurethane or something that you don’t need to keep reapplying? Just quicker?

7. Graeme Clark on September 30, 2021 at 8:05 am

Is this version compatible with any of the others? As in, could you combine these panels those from previous designs?

I bought the previous plans, and was planning on making the thin ones, but need help.. or better tools.

8. Kathleen Chiu on September 30, 2021 at 8:06 am

You should Patent Your Ready-Made Concrete Garden Boxes and sell them in Home Improvement Stores like Home Depot & Lowes, etc. For majority of the homeowners are not carpenters and have no clues about making them – But they will be definitely willing to buy them …

9. Matt Evans-Koch on September 30, 2021 at 8:07 am

Thank you for another style of form for the concrete garden boxes. Nice and easy for the non-powered tool owner. Take care and stay well.

10. Kathleen Chiu on September 30, 2021 at 8:09 am

P.S. I think these are wonderful ideas and products and will sell well on Amazon … I will be the first one to purchase it.

11. photojournalistsf on September 30, 2021 at 8:13 am

Thumbs up alone for the nicely done animation.

12. зема on September 30, 2021 at 8:13 am

Super

13. Zachary Elliott on September 30, 2021 at 8:14 am

Such a great tutorial!

14. Ryan Siler on September 30, 2021 at 8:18 am

Would love more non-power tool videos!

15. Cooking with Yarda on September 30, 2021 at 8:19 am

Excellent !! Thanks !!

16. Steve Bowman on September 30, 2021 at 8:20 am

For us who are just learning what, why and how to cure the concrete for the best results

17. Budgie Land on September 30, 2021 at 8:22 am

What if I was to use 2×6’s. Rounded comes to about 2×5… I would need to make more of the frames in order to have a good planting depth, but over all this smaller size may be easier for me to handle. The only think I’m worried about is the ends braking off.. do you think the ends of this smaller frame be more prone to cracking off?

18. G.d Marcel on September 30, 2021 at 8:22 am

Saw the initial videos and this one is just as neat and awesome. I have made one so far using the slim garden box design. Thank you for your brilliant innovation!

19. David Schorr on September 30, 2021 at 8:22 am

It is killing me watching you use no power tools, but what if I don’t have a power drill? Maybe the next version should use a hand drill. lol

20. Károly Róbert Csécsey on September 30, 2021 at 8:24 am

This is an awesome project and thank you for sharing! Although one thing just came to my mind what happens with srcews if they are being loosen and tightened many times when you peel the form off? Will they hold strong enough? I think I would use some sort of threaded insert. Sorry, I’m not native in English, not sure how you call’em. These a cylinder shaped piece of iron with a whole and thread inside like here https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvasalatdepo.hu%2Fstatic%2Fsite-7%2Fmedia_catalog%2F2014%2F07%2F18%2F241%2Fk%25C3%25B6zpontos%2520menetes%2520csap.jpeg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fvasalatdepo.hu%2Ftermekeink%2Ftonkanya.html&tbnid=DW4v-sKZS_6q8M&vet=12ahUKEwi7xciq35DsAhULy6QKHfZWDZIQMygGegUIARCUAg..i&docid=hFAU33-KzuEg5M&w=659&h=400&q=t%C3%B6nkanya&ved=2ahUKEwi7xciq35DsAhULy6QKHfZWDZIQMygGegUIARCUAg

21. whiney snowflake on September 30, 2021 at 8:27 am

how many concrete bags does each form take to fill?

22. Holly Champaign on September 30, 2021 at 8:28 am

Have you thought about using melamine instead of wood for the form? Another YouTube channel, Michael Builds, uses melamine to make molds for concrete counter tops https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mYB6x68DY&t=306s

23. Kathleen Chiu on September 30, 2021 at 8:30 am

P.S. You can possibly sell them on Amazon.com. Contact Amazon …

24. pendo pendo on September 30, 2021 at 8:33 am

From your very first video on these forms and panels, this was my preferred method in wood with a variation of the fitment of the box sides and base made of ‘form ply’. Also I would tint the concrete to add some ‘nice’, as tints come in a huge range, much nicer than the grey colour.
    Next generation / version I guess. 😉🤔

25. dantang65 on September 30, 2021 at 8:34 am

thankyou very much

26. hyfy1970 on September 30, 2021 at 8:34 am

MaT….for the upright parts of the form….why do you chose to use 1x stock instead of 2x stock? I would think that with all the moisture involved that 2x stock would be more stable, strong and less prone to warping over time. The cost factor between the two isn’t that great yet I would think you would end up with a far stronger, durable and more stable form.

27. Kathleen Chiu on September 30, 2021 at 8:34 am

P.S. Or even just selling the wooden/plastic molds … Can I buy one set of molds from you?

28. Rolling Thunder on September 30, 2021 at 8:36 am

The neatest thing about your forms is, if you know what you’re doing, you can make them any size or shape as needed. Thank you!!

29. Tommy Fritz on September 30, 2021 at 8:38 am

Why do you shape them like a "Z" instead of like a "T" with the inter-lockable joints?

30. John Padgett on September 30, 2021 at 8:39 am

Great idea …. Can you use exterior poly to seal the form instead of the oil finish you used? … Thanks so much

31. TopSecretG on September 30, 2021 at 8:44 am

use butterfly nuts if you are going to be mass producing these.

32. Brian Pittman PPG on September 30, 2021 at 8:45 am

Question….Our local big box store only sells the ready-mix in 60lb bags and larger. So if using the 60lb bags, you’ll end up with a good bit of "extra" on each pour. What is your recommendation for up-sizing the design to utilize the "extra"? Would you add more thickness or length?

33. acheide on September 30, 2021 at 8:46 am

Very nicely done. I have watched all of the garden box series. This will be my next years project.
    Just to be aware. Skin contact with Alex Plus as well as other forms of caulking should be avoided, not that I always have follow that advice.
    Thanks for your detailed explanations of the varous builds.

34. BackwoodsBungalow on September 30, 2021 at 8:49 am

Would it be feasible to build a small garden shed with these panels 🤔? Maybe a long piece of PVC pipe could be used in each joint.

35. Julie I on September 30, 2021 at 8:51 am

This is such a great design for a retaining wall. It would Just need to have greater width and length. Thank you so much for all your hard work!

36. Kathleen S on September 30, 2021 at 8:51 am

What jonesey1981 said. Ditto! much less intimidating with no ripping or scarey power tools! I’m in!

37. jonesey1981 on September 30, 2021 at 8:51 am

Sheesh, you just posted this and I was like, wow, a simpler version I can make without all the tools you used in the other video. What a coincidence you posted it today! Thank you! Got yourself a subscriber. 😉