Foodscaping our frontyard: replacing grass with raised garden beds, fruit trees and wood chips

GROW YOUR OWN Foodscape and organic garden in your frontyard.

We show how we foodscaped our frontyard by removing grass and replacing it with a beautiful foodscape that maximizes fruit and vegetable production in a small space. For fruit trees, we covered grass with cardboard, newspaper and mulched with wood chips. In the Fall of 2017, we built redwood raised bed gardens and filled them with organic matter including kitchen food scraps, brown leaves, coffee grounds, and compost. In the Spring of 2018, we dug out paths and filled them with pea gravel and began planting cool weather crops.

Learn more about Foodscaping Utah at https://foodscapingutah.org.

Read more about incorporating compost when preparing garden beds: http://foodscapingutah.org/2018/01/15/preparing-garden-beds-part-1-the-magic-of-compost/

Read more about raised bed gardens: http://foodscapingutah.org/2018/01/15/preparing-garden-beds-part-2-raised-beds/

Read keys to success when starting a foodscape: http://foodscapingutah.org/2018/01/15/getting-started-3-keys-to-success/

1. Raw Utah on October 5, 2021 at 8:30 am

I LOVE THIS VIDEO!!!!!!!!!! please keep it coming!!!!!!!!!!!!! so dang inspiring to see this!!!!!!!!!

2. My_Slice Of_The_Pie on October 5, 2021 at 8:33 am

Did you say your last name was Trimble?

3. Eric Petersen on October 5, 2021 at 8:35 am

I’m 99% sure you were my Spanish professor lol nice video

4. Megiddo Eubanks on October 5, 2021 at 8:35 am

If only this were legal where I’m at! 😀

5. urpurdy on October 5, 2021 at 8:35 am

How are you going to stop the fruit trees from casting too much shade on the garden?

6. Raylin Gomen on October 5, 2021 at 8:35 am

So what do you recommend if you’re starting in the middle of winter lol! It’s January and I think I should have my beds put together in the next month. The crates I’m using are up off the ground, I was thinking of drilling drainage holes and filling the bottom layer with gravel, then maybe cardboard from there, sound about right?

7. Jules on October 5, 2021 at 8:36 am

All good until a nefarious neighbor comes by and throws a vegetation killer all over it. What do you do for that?

8. William Mund on October 5, 2021 at 8:44 am

Where in Utah are you?

9. Adine Marc on October 5, 2021 at 8:50 am

Internal Wood Stabilizer is supposed to help make all wood last longer by waterproofing it in a non-toxic, non-leaching manner. Made by a company in the Northwest, where they get a lot of rain. Fir and pine would last longer.

10. Marie Conlon on October 5, 2021 at 9:08 am

Great idea. What do your neighbors think of the curb appeal?

11. Bee Bob on October 5, 2021 at 9:08 am

No way would the bride allow this. It’s a fantastic idea too

12. samuraioodon on October 5, 2021 at 9:13 am

hi there, im down here in dallas,tx and wanted to something similar. the only problem is i have 1 big oak tree and 2 other trees (i plan to cut 2 down) but the oak tree may have to stay. the oak sheds leaves all the time and worried about it getting in the beds. do you have recommendation for that? thanks!

13. Teran Davies on October 5, 2021 at 9:15 am

Are you in Ogden? I believe I’ve seen your awesome space in my neighborhood!

14. Xavier Limon on October 5, 2021 at 9:15 am

what’s been the response from your neighbors? We are doing the same thing and we are getting mixed reviews? Some people ask if we are moving them to the backyard – others are really stoked about it and think is so cool.