How to make a Garden Box

How to make a Garden Box

So we decided to make a Garden Box…or Planter Box…or Raised Planter…or whatever you want to call it. Anyhow, we used 2″ x 6″ Redwood planks and 4×4’s to create it all. Total cubic feet of soil was around 20.

Total cost:
Wood/soil/hardware = $350

Total labor (including shopping time for materials):
around 12 hours

Tools required:
Chop Saw
Drill
Screwdriver
Tape measure
Staple gun

We mitered the corners of the redwood planks but you could more easily create the garden box if you just used straight cuts and decided to show the wood grain ends of the planks. I preferred the mitered look so we spent extra time and effort. The bottom of the box was covered with a weed cloth to prevent soil leakage. Then we layered pea gravel on top. The soil was layered on top of the pea gravel up to the desired level for planting.

Having a little garden in your backyard is a fantastic way to save on produce. Especially if you’re eating a plant strong diet and use a ton of veggies and fruits in your meals.

1. 4meen on October 10, 2021 at 8:41 am

nice team work and nice to work with your father.

2. vidvidvid on October 10, 2021 at 9:00 am

nice. But damn, that cost a lot. My backyard is huge.

3. Romelia Polly on October 10, 2021 at 9:00 am

Splendidly to see Woodglut have new plans which helped me save some money and energy for this construction.

4. Diederich Abels on October 10, 2021 at 9:06 am

Stodoys plans has a lot of plans to choose from.

5. D. Mike on October 10, 2021 at 9:07 am

I realize this is a six year-old video, but this helped me a lot since I was looking for raised planter DIY ideas. Thank you. One question, you mentioned that there is a gap at the bottom for drainage, which makes sense; however, you covered it with weed fabric/plastic material. Did you poke holes at the bottom so that water can drain out?

6. Frank Stoutstens on October 10, 2021 at 9:11 am

Try the best carpenters and woodworkers plans. Woodprix.

7. Sophia Low on October 10, 2021 at 9:18 am

I prefer to build with Stodoys plans.

8. Puryear Eaker on October 10, 2021 at 9:22 am

Cool video. However, you should take instructions from Stodoys if you want to learn how easy it is to do.

9. glenn curley on October 10, 2021 at 9:30 am

That box is as sweet as my girl friends.
    Thanks for sharing.

10. daniel eduardo nieto santucci on October 10, 2021 at 9:31 am

Well, I have to say I’ve been pushing this video away for a while but…guess what! It end it up being very enjoyable. Nice work, nice vibe, but over all. Very nice laugh at this very end.
    Just one thing; why didn’t you put plastic cover on the inner walls? You know, to maintain the wood for a longer period of time?