How To Prepare Your Garden For Winter, Winterizing A Garden Bed! (2020)

How To Prepare Your Garden For Winter, Winterizing A Garden Bed! (2020)

Winter Is Coming…Get Your Garden Ready In Less Than 10 Minutes! In this video, I show you how I prepare a garden bed that is going to lie dormant over the winter months. Right from final harvest and clearing the bed of any weeds, to the laying down of the mulch layer on top. In less then 10 minutes, have your dormant garden beds ready for whatever winter can throw at them.

1. Jeff Favelle on October 12, 2021 at 9:00 am

I do think people underestimate the importance of mulching and covering a bed even if its going to go dormant over winter. Look at nature…no matter what season you are in, soil in nature is NEVER naturally exposed….but especially not in winter!

2. Pacific Arc Tig Welding on October 12, 2021 at 9:00 am

great video man! 4k is crazy! nice shoes too:)

3. Lauren Dumont on October 12, 2021 at 9:05 am

could i put a garbage bag on top of that too ?

4. Lovegrowngreengarden Clarke Levita on October 12, 2021 at 9:08 am

Set up for dormancy I need the rest

5. Troy Hallman on October 12, 2021 at 9:21 am

All great points, except that you are stepping, repeatedly, into the veggie beds and obviously compacted things. That’s all.

6. Chantelle Coddington on October 12, 2021 at 9:21 am

Great video! I have recently been watching all your videos to be a better gardener as this was my first year. Curious if this would be the same or similar process for southern alberta?

7. titch glover on October 12, 2021 at 9:23 am

Do you remove all the mulch and news paper when ready to plant? what do you do when you are ready to plant?

8. Patricia Franklin on October 12, 2021 at 9:33 am

Do I amend the soil with compost, worm castings and trace minerals first? Is a plastic covering ok? I’m in zone 5b I think but in Kansas City. I don’t plan to plant again until spring after the growing season is over.

9. Oak Knob Farm on October 12, 2021 at 9:38 am

I envy your climate, Jeff! I imagine it’s warm ocean air blowing in. So you might be NEAR winter, but we’ve had multiple hard freezes already πŸ™‚ (well, essentially nightly at this point)
    I live vicariously through your greens

10. sosha20 on October 12, 2021 at 9:39 am

thanks so much for this video! it’s really informative

11. Bonnie Eichman on October 12, 2021 at 9:52 am

What do you do with the mulch you put on top in the spring? Do you till it in?