DIY Raised Planter Box – CHEAP and EASY – Backyard Garden

DIY Raised Planter Box – CHEAP and EASY – Backyard Garden

I built these planter boxes as a birthday gift for my mom so she can grow produce in her backyard.

This is a simple design that looks beautiful and is easy to build

Minimal tools needed:
Circular or Mitre Saw
Power Drill
Tape Measure

If you don’t have a saw, you can even get your lumber cut at the store if you take them a cut list.

Plantable area = 42″ Long x 15″ Wide x 11″ Deep
Outside dimensions = 48″ x 18″ x 24″

If you’d like to purchase full, printable plans that I created, including material and cut lists, check out my Etsy store page.

#raisedplanter #elevatedplanter #raisedgarden

1. Cookie Monster on October 16, 2021 at 9:35 am

Love love I will try this project

2. MezzoJE on October 16, 2021 at 9:35 am

This was by far the easiest tutorial I’ve seen on a raised bed. I’ve been looking for a few days, and most videos have sink holes for jigs, and pneumatic nail guns, and all kinds of tools I simply don’t own. Thank you for making this incredibly approachable for any skill level!

3. OriginalMrtz on October 16, 2021 at 9:36 am

Downloaded the Pdf, took it to home depot had someone cut the wood for me and now I am about to get started.

4. builditstudio on October 16, 2021 at 9:37 am

Thanks for watching! Plans are available here: https://www.etsy.com/ca/shop/builditstudio

5. Jim LaRoda on October 16, 2021 at 9:38 am

Nice job, but build yourself a good workbench before your next project, to keep everything safe 👍👍

6. Roy W Holston Jr on October 16, 2021 at 9:39 am

Awesome! My mom wants me to make her some planters. I will follow your plans to make it. Thanks. Great first YouTube project.

7. Carlos Torres on October 16, 2021 at 9:40 am

Great video thanks for the tips.

8. Vijay Appaji on October 16, 2021 at 9:41 am

any protective coating, will the wood not rot if kept outside and due to rain or watering

9. Romelia Polly on October 16, 2021 at 9:44 am

Try best plans for woodworkers. Stodoys.

10. Tom Beckett on October 16, 2021 at 9:44 am

It won’t be long the colour will all be the same after it’s weathered. Don’t be so fussy. Thanks.👍🇨🇦

11. David Cutler on October 16, 2021 at 9:44 am

Great idea good job 👌

12. The Truth on October 16, 2021 at 9:45 am

How much does it cost to build each box?

13. James Henry on October 16, 2021 at 9:48 am

Awesome plan to planter box, thank you for sharing.

14. My Everyday D.I.Y. on October 16, 2021 at 9:48 am

Thanks for sharing. Looks pretty good. Very nice birthday present for your mom!

15. SeekGod FirstAllways on October 16, 2021 at 9:51 am

I’m hoping my son will make some for my birthday too 😁🤗🥦🥕

16. jeeta123456789 on October 16, 2021 at 9:52 am

Great job waiting for more ideas

17. Avtar Singh on October 16, 2021 at 9:55 am

Very well done Brad, looking forward to watch your other projects. I will definitely make one of these for my wife. Good luck 👍

18. dale pete on October 16, 2021 at 9:56 am

I’ll be watching for more videos good job sir

19. Jeff Bateman on October 16, 2021 at 9:57 am

You say “cheap”… but this lumber is ridiculously expensive lately… especially 2 x 6 lumber

20. mehdi M on October 16, 2021 at 9:57 am

Hi bro
    How long approximately does it take to make one of them?
    Thanks

21. Samo on October 16, 2021 at 10:02 am

what do you think is a reasonable price you’d sell these for ?

22. Niecy Allison on October 16, 2021 at 10:03 am

Nice job, you made them seems easy to build. What is the estimated price to build them?

23. Mz Ebony_Luvz on October 16, 2021 at 10:05 am

This was a good tutorial. Hope your mom loved it. I would slap some stain on it and call it a day!

24. Robert Mireles on October 16, 2021 at 10:07 am

great job man, gonna make me some. Hey I got the same table to do projects on, lol.

25. Suzy Cowan on October 16, 2021 at 10:08 am

Love the design, seems easy enough that I think I could follow. The only thing is, because of back issues I would need to make mine quite a bit taller. Thanks so much for sharing your video and I can’t wait to see what else you have to teach us. New subscriber

26. judy bauguess on October 16, 2021 at 10:09 am

Great job. Can’t wait for next video.

27. Edward Brady on October 16, 2021 at 10:10 am

Simple classic design. Well thought out in the cutting. Very well explained. Listened with interest. Thanks

28. K E Sharif on October 16, 2021 at 10:11 am

Brad, that was a cool video. I was able to build a planter box of my own from you example. Thxs

29. Michael Gerber on October 16, 2021 at 10:11 am

These are nice but unless you got some free wood this is anything but cheep. Depending on the wood you could be paying as much as a hundred dollars or more just for materials.

30. 林欣儒 on October 16, 2021 at 10:12 am

Thanks for uploading this video. It’s really simple to understand and don’t need too much tools, perfect for starters. I want to start doing a lot of DIYs and I’m very happy that I ran across your video. I really appreciates it! I hope I can make one of this raised planter box.

31. Sam K on October 16, 2021 at 10:13 am

Well done mate. Real good job

32. Bongbang Rosal SDA on October 16, 2021 at 10:14 am

Thanks for sharing ,excellent

33. Wolfgang Blöbaum on October 16, 2021 at 10:14 am

cool, gefällt mir, würde es aus langlebigen Holz machen, super für den Balkon…1+

34. louisevster on October 16, 2021 at 10:15 am

This is a great video. Thanks for sharing.

35. Thang Mach on October 16, 2021 at 10:18 am

Thank you for the video. Very detail . Love it.👌

36. Dave Burnell on October 16, 2021 at 10:18 am

My wife loves the planter box I built this weekend using this most excellent tutorial!
    I wanted mine just a little bit longer and wider, so I added 2 inches to each side. Also used “weather treated” cedar lumber from the big box store, so they were no “true cut”. Took some time to pick best pieces. Just made one box.
    Bought three 2”x6”ft 2×6’s, two 1”x6”x8ft 1x6s, and three 2”x4”x8ft 2x4s and a box of 2 ½ inch deck screws (80 or so screws). Already had a box of 3” deck screws on hand – used about 20 of those as you’ll see below.
    Cut the 2x6x8 boards as follows:
    BD1: two 47” boards
    BD2: two 47” boards
    BD3: four 17” boards
    Cut the 1x6x8 boards as follows:
    BD1: four 20” boards
    BD2: four 20” boards
    Cut the 2x4x8 boards as follows:
    BD1: two 47” boards
    BD2: four 24” boards
    BD3: four 10 ¼” boards – cut these an extra ¼” /each which helped the top of support sit flush with top of box, again using box box store not true cut lumber.

Only other tweak I made to Brad’s excellent project was in addition to using 3” screws to attached the legs to the 2×4 cross beam support, I used 3 “ screws to attach the support t the bottom of the box itself, so the screws would run all the way through the 2×4 support, 1×6 bottom panels and into the 2×6 walls of the bottom box. I used his staggered screw technique when putting on the bottom 1×6 panels.

Planter turned out great! Was HEAVY with the extra dimensions and treated wood, but will last a very long time. Thanks Brad!

37. Kim Nogier on October 16, 2021 at 10:18 am

Got the PDF and looking forward to making it. Just a quick question though, why rough-cut for the 1×6’s as opposed to "finished cut"? Just asking.

38. Darrain Stabler on October 16, 2021 at 10:20 am

I wanted to build a raised planter box to get my plants elevated above the porch railing (more sun!) and had no idea where to start… This is a super brilliant and affordable idea! Great job, sir!

39. arinsa on October 16, 2021 at 10:22 am

wood and moisture…how long this last?

40. P. S on October 16, 2021 at 10:23 am

Looks good. Most of these planters I’ve seen are just too flimsy. I like your substantial design. And good video info too.

41. Craft happy Maw maw on October 16, 2021 at 10:23 am

You did a great job I’m wanting to make planters for my back porch you made this seem like a fairly easy project with not over complicating it thank you.

42. Shilpi Rashid on October 16, 2021 at 10:26 am

Great vid! Gonna make one for sure! Looks lovely and solid! Thanks!

43. Nickharry Nickharry on October 16, 2021 at 10:30 am

Great job Brad,always like to watch people’s building planters, done a few like this…👍👍👍

44. Willie Dora on October 16, 2021 at 10:30 am

Great job!! I must try!!

45. Danielle Rigal on October 16, 2021 at 10:31 am

Felicitations, Brad ! Ta mère doit être heureuse et fière d’avoir un fils attentionnné et talentueux . Je t’encourage à expérimenter et à présenter de nouveaux projets que le public pourra facilement réaliser . Tu es un excellent professeur ! Merci et à bientôt .

46. محمد الرشيد AL RASHEED on October 16, 2021 at 10:31 am

🌷✌️

47. Peron Spence on October 16, 2021 at 10:33 am

Hi do you drill drainage holes on the bottom?

48. The WoodHaven on October 16, 2021 at 10:34 am

Nice design. I’m going to guild something similar. I will refer back to this video.
    Tip: you should record in horizontal mode. You will capture more footage. Other than that, I thought you did a great job.