Secrets to Drying Herbs With This Centuries Old-Method for Stronger Medicinal Properties

Drying herbs by hanging them is the method used for thousands of years, but knowing when to harvest them is key for the strongest medicinal properties. Plus, a few ways to dehydrate them if you don’t have enough hanging space and when I will use a dehydrator vs. the hanging method. Most important how to store your herbs properly after they’re dried.

Shop this post
This post contains Amazon & other affiliate links which I make a small commission from at no extra cost to you.

Nesco dehydrator https://amzn.to/2YYgmP7

Where I buy my herb seeds https://www.siskiyouseeds.com/

Sign up for my email list to be notified of upcoming herbal class here https://melissaknorris.com/

Listen in to the top #10 rated Pioneering Today Podcast for Home & Garden for Simple Modern Homesteading Tips https://melissaknorris.com/podcast-2/

**********************
My Books:

The Family Garden Plan http://familygardenplan.com/
Hand Made 100+ From Scratch Recipes http://handmadethebook.com/
The Made-from-Scratch Life http://madefromscratchlife.com/

**********************

Howdy! I’m so glad you’re here. I’m Melissa from Pioneering Today and a 5th generation homesteader where I’m doing my best to hold onto the old traditions in a modern world and share them with others.

Click any of the below links for FREE resources and training to help you on your homestead!

Homemade Sourdough Starter Series https://melissaknorris.com/learnsourdough

How to Pressure Can Series https://melissaknorris.com/pressurecanning

Beginners Home Canning Safety https://melissaknorris.com/canningclass

For raising, cooking and preserving your own food come hang out with on Instagram https://www.instagram.com/melissaknorris/
and Facebook https://www.facebook.com/melissaknorris/

**********

1. Veiss seven on October 16, 2021 at 8:59 am

I like to just grab some fresh peppermint for tea.
    It tastes much better than when it’s dried. 5-6 medium to large leaves and it’s just so good.
    If you grow it in a container inside or just outside your front door, it’s quite convenient as well.

2. 13KumikoYui29 on October 16, 2021 at 9:00 am

It’s a very useful video full of information. Thank you! I love the paperbag method.

But when you said you don’t have much space… your american kitchen is the size of my whole flat, and you have a porch, too!

3. Yeah Right on October 16, 2021 at 9:01 am

No offense, I can see a LOT of unwanted stuff coming off the fully dried and whole basil and mint.
    It doesn’t take a lot of time at all to pluck the leaves off, at all, and it’s much easier when they’re fresh.

4. 1-800- GRAMPS on October 16, 2021 at 9:02 am

How do I deal with the bugs in the flowers or leaves????

5. nicole marie on October 16, 2021 at 9:03 am

Should you spend the most money on a dehydrator or a canning pot?

6. Ina Claggette on October 16, 2021 at 9:05 am

Does it hurt to wash off the bugs before drying?

7. Robin Lipman on October 16, 2021 at 9:05 am

I just got my first Medicinal herb seeds to start! I live in zone 10, so am experimenting with timing. Thank you for your videos, I am learning so much!

8. LINDA rochefort on October 16, 2021 at 9:08 am

I seen another video saying they only plant 1 kind of mint so no cross pollination happens

9. C McB on October 16, 2021 at 9:09 am

I live alone and do not use my gas oven to cook much in the summer. I use the low level pilot and the heat it generates to dehydrate herbs in the oven on a parchment coated cookie sheet.

10. TheHanifah on October 16, 2021 at 9:10 am

Can I pick my herbs before dusk as the sun is setting? Would that contain the same properties as it would in the morning harvest?

11. alexandria ponsler on October 16, 2021 at 9:11 am

Wonderful video. Answered all my questions. Thank you. Also your herb garden is dreamy. Do you make your own tea?? I would love to make fresh tea ♥️

12. Kelly Telfer on October 16, 2021 at 9:11 am

The chocolate mint I grow smells and tastes like Andes chocolate mint candies! It’s really strong for some reason!

13. Winona Bannon on October 16, 2021 at 9:12 am

Do you wash basil leaves before you hang them?

14. Missouri Girl on October 16, 2021 at 9:12 am

I love using herbs for cooking am trying to learn natural medicine as I am a nurse practitioner. I have been hanging to dry for years in the garage as it is shady/dark and cooler most of time. Sometimes it’s hard to tell what they are after drying so I staple a label or note on the string. Thanks for sharing.

15. GuitarUniverse2013 on October 16, 2021 at 9:15 am

Chamomile? As in “mile” I thought it was Chamomile as in “mill”? Just wondering; maybe it’s a regional thing…I really like your channel and just subscribed… and here’s a hint for the chocolate mint. If you mix it with a Hershey’s chocolate bar, the mint will definitely pick up that chocolate flavor🙂

16. Mitzie W on October 16, 2021 at 9:16 am

I live in a high pollen area, how would you handle that?
    What about dirt on them from outside? Do you rinse in these cases?
    Do they not get dusty hanging?

17. Denise Mouledous on October 16, 2021 at 9:17 am

I use rubber bands to tie up my bundles to dry. It works so well when they start shrinking!

18. Sheri Karanasos on October 16, 2021 at 9:20 am

I have a purple Elderberry. Is that the same thing? They have small purple berries. I was attacked by white flies on my herbs.

19. Amber Johnson on October 16, 2021 at 9:20 am

I need serious help on how to get the bugs and spiderwebs off when I harvest. They say not to rinse them because it can reduce medicinal purposes but like I said when I harvest they are covered in bugs you can’t see and then they are in my house and I don’t want that. Please help! I have tried all these methods and yes bugs. In my area there are chiggers small green bugs that blend in with the plant. I’m not worried about bugs getting in while drying out it’s the bugs on them when I harvest. The only thing I can think of is to rinse them first. Help! Kindly please.

20. Kamkam on October 16, 2021 at 9:21 am

So not really educated on herbs, so you use the blossom 🌼🌸 also in making medicinal applications? Never mind, I asked the question too quick into the video you answered it…lol

21. Joyce Ann Alexander on October 16, 2021 at 9:21 am

For years I have been drying my herbs like peppermint, lemonbalm, lemon grass ets

22. Suhi R on October 16, 2021 at 9:21 am

I don’t know anyhting about drying other than it needs air flow but I use those re-usable net bags that you get at supermarkets and I dry my leaves there. I don’t know if it’s a great idea or a stupid one ☺️ someone let me know

23. Mike Finley on October 16, 2021 at 9:23 am

Always enjoy your vids and find them informative, educational. Even though not subscribed it’s always a pleasure. What part of the state are you guys in? Just curious as the cost of living and taxes are so high that it’s nice to see someone with a little land and connecting with it instead of the concrete jungle. I’m old enough to remember many small farms that got taxed out for so called progress. Much of the state was so beautiful but was lost to commercialization and is missed.You mentioned your dad was 84 and still vibrant, you caught him unloading bale’s of hay. I smiled, may you and your family be blessed with a long life.

24. mcnuggets21 on October 16, 2021 at 9:27 am

do you wash the herbs first before drying??

25. Countryside Living With Tracee Leigh on October 16, 2021 at 9:28 am

If I air dry them will dust or mold get on them? should you wash them off when you harvest them? Pollen or dust can get on them from being in the garden.

26. Amber Mcclure on October 16, 2021 at 9:29 am

My lemon balm has gone crazy I had to transplant a bunch and have to do a bunch more. I want some fever few though

27. Angela Hartle on October 16, 2021 at 9:33 am

What type of glass jar is that? I don’t think I’ve seen one like that before.

28. LadyNorma Beth on October 16, 2021 at 9:36 am

Don’t wash the hebs?

29. Joyce Ann Alexander on October 16, 2021 at 9:36 am

Correction etc.I had no problems with them.I store up on brown paper lunch bags large and small .Thanks for sharing. The hibiscus flower did not dry in the brown paper bag. I like to save them until I get a lot to grind for powder.If anyone had success with drying the hibiscus flowers please share.

30. Neva Herrera on October 16, 2021 at 9:37 am

The elderberry blossom head is very beautiful!

31. Melissa K. Norris - Modern Homesteading on October 16, 2021 at 9:39 am

Thanks for watching, are you planning on using herbs more this year?

32. Jacqui Baxter on October 16, 2021 at 9:40 am

Lol I planted chocolate mint thinking the same thing 😝

33. Irma Sanchez on October 16, 2021 at 9:40 am

Why do all videos on drying herbs leave out how LONG it takes to dry them? Thank you for this video but I need to do some reading on this elusive fact.

34. Jerry Sims on October 16, 2021 at 9:41 am

Thank you, Melissa!

35. Julian on October 16, 2021 at 9:46 am

Is that why farmers get up so early???😍😍😍

36. edward frotten on October 16, 2021 at 9:46 am

thanks ive only grew herbs for the pollinators never used -im going be hanging this season

37. code account on October 16, 2021 at 9:47 am

which part of the country is this though?

38. Denise Girmer on October 16, 2021 at 9:47 am

Best channel ty♥️♥️♥️

39. Heidi Karlsen on October 16, 2021 at 9:47 am

if you do not keep different types of mint apart, they’ll start tasting like the same no matter the different variety.

40. Walk By Faith Family on October 16, 2021 at 9:49 am

Sometimes I will put the herbs on a large pan in the oven overnight with just the light on- it might take a couple days but I can easily remove the pan whenever I need the oven.

41. The Intention Adventure on October 16, 2021 at 9:50 am

Bad news is, I think you got some bunk chocolate mint- Good news is, theres hope! haha. I have totally had chocolate mint that had cocoa overtones. Incredibly beautiful.

42. Theresa D on October 16, 2021 at 9:51 am

Fantastic information! Thanks Melissa! I really appreciated the fact that you showed the plants up close as you chose what to cut and the manner in which you cut them. That was very helpful. I picked up a lot of great tips in this video.

43. Courtney Winters on October 16, 2021 at 9:51 am

I Would love to talk with you inreagrds to healing our body from foods. i have multiple pain issues and inflammation. thx

44. Helen Boula on October 16, 2021 at 9:52 am

Absolutely breathtakingly beautiful awesome

45. Samantha Sweeney on October 16, 2021 at 9:55 am

wow, I feel super confident to dry my herbs now, thank you!

46. V. on October 16, 2021 at 9:56 am

Very helpful

47. Z E on October 16, 2021 at 9:56 am

Nesco is the best brand in my opinion.

48. WolfInGreen on October 16, 2021 at 9:57 am

Hello, I have a question I haven’t been able to find the answer. My lemon balm, healthy and vibrant, turns black after harvesting. Some times it starts turning within 20 minutes. Most in a few hours to a day. Is this normal what is going on?

49. Kristen LePrevost on October 16, 2021 at 9:57 am

Mint will cross pollinate so odds are your regular peppermint criss pollinated your chocolate mint..you have keep different mints away from each other for this reason

50. GuitarUniverse2013 on October 16, 2021 at 9:59 am

I really have problems drying my sunflowers. I really like your idea of using that large hardware cloth. But how do you keep the insects off of your sunflower heads? I finally gave up and just put my sunflower heads in a brown paper bag and put them in the refrigerator. Any suggestions?