How to Plant, Prune, and Irrigate Fruit Trees EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

How to Plant, Prune, and Irrigate Fruit Trees EVERYTHING YOU NEED TO KNOW

In this video I’ll show every step you’ll need to know to create your own backyard orchard for season long or year-round fruit harvests. I’ll cover soil preparation, Irrigation, planting fruit trees, pruning young fruit trees, tree spacing and location, painting fruit trees, mulch, and much more! I’ll show each of the varieties I’ve selected foe year-round fruit production.

My Go-to Fruit Tree Fertilizer: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723649YT/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B0723649YT&linkCode=as2&tag=kylehagerurba-20&linkId=7c952375678b1b9a3c4614060c84989f

The Pruners I Use: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023RYT0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&camp=1789&creative=9325&creativeASIN=B00023RYT0&linkCode=as2&tag=kylehagerurba-20&linkId=869a75f9db9d666d0eb44c75d4dedc25

The Best Tree Paint: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01AQ15TX0/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=kylehagerurba-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B01AQ15TX0&linkId=724e7110ac9037f8d02f23705cbec18f

Irrigation Emitter Hose: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00E0PZJE8/ref=as_li_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=kylehagerurba-20&camp=1789&creative=9325&linkCode=as2&creativeASIN=B00E0PZJE8&linkId=735e096afb262676641c32f18103fc79

All of my fruit tree selections from Green Acres Nursery and Supply in Sacramento California:
i. Flavor Delight Aprium -Early June
xi. R. Giant Fuyu Persimmon Mid October to Mid November
xii. L. Fuyu Jiro – Late October to December

Instagram:https://www.instagram.com/urbanfarmstead/?hl=en
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/theurbanfarmstead/
TikTok: https://www.tiktok.com/@urbanfarmstead?source=h5_m

1. Anaisabel Del Rio on October 18, 2021 at 9:12 am

Can this be done with standard sized fruit trees like Elberta peach? My concern is the roots going 20ft out or would regular pruning cause the roots to stay smaller as well? I’m wondering how close I could grow avocado trees vs keeping them in pots. Thanks for sharing I love your channel!

2. Ingrid Burling on October 18, 2021 at 9:13 am

I love this – your videos is fabulous! So well explained! We are novice gardeners and just bought 3.5 acress of prairie with several houses on it and a large barn (in France). We have an old potager which we are going to renovate and have discovered all sorts of very old (possibly dying) fruit trees on our land. As some were placed so near to the wall and not pruned, they have made the wall bow, so we may need to remove them entirely to fix the wall. They are collapsing, rotting and not looking so healthy. As we have no budget for redoing the wall (yet), I want to leave them in place another year, and plant some new trees, further in, where there is space, and will follow your advice, but how can we stop rabbits and deer from eating the saplings? What do you recommend? PS Your plan to plant a persimmon tree brought back wonderful memories of eating my first persimmon in Thailand. It blew my mind! So now we are going to plant one (will check it will thrive here first….!). I plan to plant all those things that cost a bomb in the supermarket – white peaches, raspberries, blueberries, gooseberries, greengages, quinces etc and of course peaches. I also want to plant Bramley cooking apples – you can’t get them here at all, but as Brits are practically addicted to apple crumble and hot roasted pork and apple sandwiches at Guy Fawkes night, they will be an essential!
    The old peach trees that we have produce fruit which tastes glorious, even when green. How weird is that? I’ve made two sets of tartlets that there were to die for. Look out for my website between now and the New Year – YourCulinaryGenie.com. If you want me to let you know when it goes live, email me to ingrid.burling@mac.com and I shall send you a short email letting you know. I have to ask your permission for reasons of the GDPR data protection laws. I’ve also got several articles appearing in SimplyFrenchLiving Magazine (the first of 5 will be appearing in early October) on Facebook. I’ve subscribed to your channel too. 🙂 Hope to hear back soon with any info for warding off rabbits and deer, the little darlings…. 🙂

3. Juan Hernandez on October 18, 2021 at 9:15 am

Another question. in minute 29:10 where you are setting up the irrigation system. What are those called that are on the main hose where you are connecting the drip line hose to. Thanks!

4. sfbluestar on October 18, 2021 at 9:16 am

I wish I have you as neighbor.

5. Moomoo Cho on October 18, 2021 at 9:16 am

Yeah…Hi Kyle, I live close to you, it’s hard to learn from you tubers with different climates. Your videos are so informative! Keep up the good work 😉 thanks Cindy

6. Sally Deppe on October 18, 2021 at 9:16 am

staghorn ferns are outrageous.

7. Lisa Garrett on October 18, 2021 at 9:16 am

How do you keep the rats out?

8. Juan Hernandez on October 18, 2021 at 9:17 am

Hi there, just found your channel. I’m a new homeowner and have been doing a lot of planting in my new property. I have read and watched other videos where they discuss how using too much mulch can steal nitrogen from the newly planted plants/trees? As well as putting too much mulch so close to the trunk of the trees, AKA mulch volcanos. But I see that this is what you have done, so I’m a little confused now. Thanks! I enjoyed learning about pruning, well explained!

9. African Empress on October 18, 2021 at 9:17 am

Where did you purchase your irrigation from??

10. Alysia Gould on October 18, 2021 at 9:21 am

Hi! I love your videos. I have an young little orchard in my yard in Folsom. Any chance you would be interested in coming over to give some in person tips and tricks? If so would love to chat and see what that would cost 😊

11. Evan Hodge on October 18, 2021 at 9:21 am

Best wishes for a long, contented life.

12. danielbuda on October 18, 2021 at 9:22 am

How close can you plant a fruit tree like apples peaches or plums to a house if u keep it no taller that 9 feet?

13. Mel B on October 18, 2021 at 9:23 am

Very nice video, very informative.

14. Ingrid Burling on October 18, 2021 at 9:24 am

I must assume you didn’t read my comment in full – I asked a question and you didn’t respond to it. I am a bit disapppointed. I wanted to know how one protects saplings from rabbits and deer? I hope you can send me some advice, esp as other may also have concerns around this.

15. Sleeping Labradors on October 18, 2021 at 9:24 am

This is extremely helpful, I’m starting to plan my backyard for gardening, always wanted fruit trees. Thank you! When you prune your baby trees, like in this video, what do you do with the part you’ve cut off? Do you put it in a compost bin, shred it for mulch or just throw it out? I have the same question about the fruit you’ll pick off the first couple of years (assuming you can’t eat it? silly question but I’m very new to this), compost or rubbish?

16. Richard Colwell on October 18, 2021 at 9:25 am

Wish you would have included PawPaw! But that’s awesome man, thank you for this very good video!

17. Donna Gaudette on October 18, 2021 at 9:26 am

Thank you. I bought an apple and pear tree a few months ago and have been tryin to figure out how to care for them and keep them small. I have a very small yard so my tree can’t get very big. Your video helped a lot. With that said I may have questions later but for now than you again.

18. andrew washburn on October 18, 2021 at 9:26 am

very cool i have never understood what the point of pruning was before. it always seemed like it was just randomly cutting branches off.

19. Anima Abrahadabra on October 18, 2021 at 9:26 am

You should always use nitrogen rich fertilizer before mulching. Mulch gets broken down by bacteria in the ground, to do that they need nitrogen. They will take it out the ground and leave your plant with lower levels of nitrogen than desired. If you dont wanna use fertilizer you should plant beans or other leguminous plants around them – they’ll add back nitrogen from the air into the ground.
    Source: I’m a gardening apprentice 🙂 just thought I’d leave that here cause it’s not really common knowledge.

20. Stephan Krygier on October 18, 2021 at 9:28 am

I like the cut of your jib, fella. Beautiful, productive yard.

21. kawaii girls on October 18, 2021 at 9:29 am

Hi. I just bought 10 fruit trees (apple, peach, pear, and plum) I plan on moving next summer and want to take them with me, so my intention is to put them in pots. The trees are currently in 1 gallon pots. The pots I bought are 24 inch (diameter) pots. Is that to big a jump? Should I paint the trees now (it’s fall) or wait until spring? Should I bring the trees inside when the temp gets below 32? I’m in Ga. I had thought about throwing some plastic around my old dog kennel to use as a temporary greenhouse, would that work? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

22. wordvendor1 on October 18, 2021 at 9:31 am

Loved "The Rainmaker" reference! Great video!

23. jayjay30 on October 18, 2021 at 9:36 am

Ur videos are such N inspiration

24. Annie Campos on October 18, 2021 at 9:36 am

Learned so much!

Excited to create my own orchard.
    Greetings from Santa Cruz. 🏄‍♂️

25. FundooFamily on October 18, 2021 at 9:36 am

Nice. Can anything sustainable & income generating be done with a small land of 30000 sqft land ?

26. T. Webster on October 18, 2021 at 9:39 am

Thanks for a great video! Not too complicated, not too lengthy, and enjoyable to watch. It was very educational and taught me, a person completely new to gardening, a lot of valuable tips for planting trees. Looking forward to seeing how your orchard succeeds in future videos!

27. ToxicVaccines ToxicFluoride HIV HOAX on October 18, 2021 at 9:40 am

You didn’t plant cherries, avocados, mangoes, or any citrus trees?! 😳 🏝

28. Mary Sacco on October 18, 2021 at 9:40 am

Did you dig in the top soil or just lay it on top?

29. anticmos on October 18, 2021 at 9:42 am

I feel like this guy could prune your arms and legs off all while smiling and smoothly talking to you about how beneficial it will be. 😂

30. Carol Wyban on October 18, 2021 at 9:47 am

It looks wonderful! Good to see you again!

31. Evangeline Ang on October 18, 2021 at 9:48 am

Loved the video! How long are you leaving the emitters on during the winter when it’s bare root?

32. Vanessa Niblack-Head on October 18, 2021 at 9:49 am

Absolutely loved your video! It was perfect timing, as I’m about to start my own fruit orchard and needed all the information you just provided. I can’t wait to see how it progresses! I subscribed and will watching every video you put out. Great job!👍🏾❤

33. Amz Bucag on October 18, 2021 at 9:49 am

I have exactly the same dream.

34. Erik Kotka on October 18, 2021 at 9:50 am

So nice to watch you pruning 😊 I use to work as a fruit tree pruner in Sweden.

35. Detwann Johnson on October 18, 2021 at 9:51 am

So question, as your tree roots spread, will that make it harder for your vegetable garden to root and grow? If so, to get around this will you then do raised beds for your vegetables?

36. rscar3925 on October 18, 2021 at 9:51 am

One of the best videos you’ll find on planting/pruning new fruit trees. Short and to the point. Excellent job. Look forward to following your journey.

37. R1 M1 on October 18, 2021 at 9:54 am

Is your tree 6 feet from the next tree or 3 feet from the next?

38. Roberto Olan on October 18, 2021 at 9:57 am

Soo nice garden ❤️❤️❤️❤️

39. Lee Godfrey on October 18, 2021 at 9:58 am

Great video. Could you please go into more detail on your drip system

40. parkimedes on October 18, 2021 at 9:58 am

WOW! Thanks for putting so much effort into this video. It really is useful and great to watch. The pacing is good. The music good, even the editing to the music. Even in daylight it looks like you have a bounce or something. And most importantly, the information is so good for what I’m doing, which is exactly what you show. I’ve researched pruning and planting fruit trees a bunch online, and none of them give me info this useful. Really well done. I look forward to seeing a follow-up on these trees! BTW, would you give any further tips on Lychee, Cherimoya or Orange trees? I’m in Southern California zone 10b. Trying to figure out spacing, sunlight and proximity to the water pipes underground.

41. Marilyn Wetherall on October 18, 2021 at 9:59 am

Thank you for sharing such great information .

42. Nazra Razak on October 18, 2021 at 10:02 am

Auto subscribe cuz he so handsome 🤭 , Hello from Indonesia 🇮🇩

43. Susi Wakeman on October 18, 2021 at 10:02 am

Phenomenonal video!! X what an amazing video, packed with everything you need to get going and keep going, perfect x thank you so much and much love from the UK xx

44. jessi perry on October 18, 2021 at 10:04 am

thats a good wheelbarrow used for concrete.. it will last a ling time just dont let water sit in it for a long time.

45. Roi Engle on October 18, 2021 at 10:04 am

A learned a few things watching your video, but some against what I learned from other growers. One in particular is pruning. I always thought that you’re not supposed to prune your trees up to 2 years after planting. I did exactly what you’re doing here in El Paso, TX. My neighbors thought I was crazy for doing it, but now my house is like a Garden of Eden in the middle of the city lol. My daughter grew up enjoying her orchard and garden. I enjoyed watching her pick fruits from the trees year round 🙂

46. J M YTV Channel on October 18, 2021 at 10:05 am

Amazing backyard 😃 Thanks for sharing! Keep up 👍

47. YellowJacket20 on October 18, 2021 at 10:07 am

Wow, this is amazingly informative! I’d love to grow fig trees someday and this was a lot of great info!

48. Srinivas M on October 18, 2021 at 10:09 am

Thanks for a very educative video. If this worked in Sacramento I think a lot of it will hold good for Bay Area as well!

49. Mami Loy on October 18, 2021 at 10:10 am

How long and wide is your backyard. I’m new subs.from philippines.

50. Farmer Dude357 on October 18, 2021 at 10:10 am

Completely disagree with you on the soil preparation. Clay type soils are great for fruit trees. You need drainage tile deep under the soil. Also plenty of lime with compost. And never use mulch.