make Lightweight Concrete Garden Boxes PART 3 – Aircrete Vermiculite Lava Rock

make Lightweight Concrete Garden Boxes PART 3 – Aircrete Vermiculite Lava Rock

Make your own Lightweight Concrete Garden Boxes! Build the forms and cast your own reinforced lightweight concrete panels that join together to make long lasting and durable garden boxes. I’ll make 3 lightweight concrete versions of my garden panel from Aircrete, Vermiculite, and Lava Rock. This is Part 3 of the series.

SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/MANaboutTOOLS?sub_confirmation=1

GARDEN BOX PLANS: https://manabouttools.com/shop/
GLASS FIBER : https://amzn.to/304A0qO
SHAMPOO FOAMING AGENT : https://amzn.to/2LxiE1N
DIGITAL SCALE: https://amzn.to/2Xlj7ej
FOAM MIXER: https://amzn.to/2XjLfKh

BLOG POST and SUPPLIES, HARDWARE, and TOOLS for this project (affiliate links)

TOOLS I USE: https://manabouttools.com/tools-i-use/

My VIDEO GEAR: https://manabouttools.com/tools-i-use/ (affiliate links)

Honey Do Carpenter: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCApbVsMQ2oO0WlW3BHC1mVw
Aircrete Harry: https://www.youtube.com/user/Cncdesignwork

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/manabouttools/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/manabouttools
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/manabouttools
Website: https://MANaboutTOOLS.com
Patreon: http://www.patreon.com/manabouttools

DISCLAIMERS:
Some of these links have an affiliate code, if you purchase tools with these links I will receive a small commission at no additional cost to you. Thank you! The tools or equipment seen in this video and have been purchased ourselves.
#concrete #lightweightconcrete #aircrete

1. Sylvester Adim on October 20, 2021 at 9:40 am

I have learnt something new today. I am presently making a concrete 3D wall panel for my exterior beautification. My major challenge has been weight so with this I can have a lighter weight. Thanks man

2. poconofwok on October 20, 2021 at 9:41 am

Excellent!

3. Leon Cryp on October 20, 2021 at 9:43 am

I think you used AircreteHarrys 30 Gallon Mix formula, that is his stronger mix, His standard mix is the 50 Gallon Mix
    He actually makes 32 Gallon Mix , but based on my calculations between yours and his recipe you are actually making his 30 Gallon Mix.
    Which makes sense, coz you need some strength, I dont think His Standard 50 Gal mix will do well in garden box, as your 30gal mix just manage to pass strength test for your applications.

4. Jānis Kalnevics on October 20, 2021 at 9:45 am

Hey. About cracking problem. When you work with concrete it is not hardening because it is getting dry, it is hardening because of concrete and water reaction. You can try to give it some more time to harden and do give it aditional moisture. Complete hardening of concrete is when ~28 days have been passed. i think cracks are there because it was drying to fast.

5. Rocki Wingard on October 20, 2021 at 9:45 am

Using the reciprocating saw without a blade in place of an agitating table makes this a better video than the others I’ve watched at less than 3:30 in!

6. Yo Yaw on October 20, 2021 at 9:46 am

Why you so mad

7. DGDG0000000 on October 20, 2021 at 9:47 am

i think that the other will also crack in some time. because of the armature steel structure architecture made. usually, we put two layers (4 rebars) linked in opposite axes to stop the dilatation bending of rebars.
    so, the problem is not the concrete but the armature.
    also, cement protect steel from electrolyse corrosion, but not air bubbles. not limestone cemebt too… there, you can use bamboo instead of metal.

8. pratap gupta on October 20, 2021 at 9:49 am

Will the city code will allow this material?

9. Prenume Nume de familie on October 20, 2021 at 9:49 am

The BCU forms cracks because of the wood twisted (during drying proces)Honey Dude Carpenter used drywalls metal stuff

10. Chris Brown on October 20, 2021 at 9:51 am

What about 50 pct aircrete and 50 pct lava rock and mix those 2 together first to have the aircrete fill in the porous lavarock?

11. Hakuna Matata on October 20, 2021 at 9:52 am

Great video thanks

12. Henry Echeverria on October 20, 2021 at 9:52 am

Gracias felicitaciones y siempre adelante

13. Jeremiah Herb on October 20, 2021 at 9:53 am

From what I have seen from others that use aircrete they let it cure for 48 hr in form then water it for at least two weeks after removing from forms

14. Rodolfo Magtarayo on October 20, 2021 at 9:56 am

Great Job, I think the bending and the cracking of the aircrete is due to the design or the object.

15. PBS #007 on October 20, 2021 at 9:56 am

thanks for all the info.

16. Testing Babu on October 20, 2021 at 9:57 am

I need to build very large planters the size: 15′ X 5′. Do you think I should go with bricks, or this kind of panel-making approach? My concern is cost more than anything else as I have a fairly large garden to fill. I love the flexibility of these panels as they can be moved and reassembled. I wonder what it would cost to make a L15′ X W5′ X H2′ planter with this method.

17. Vocea Lui on October 20, 2021 at 9:59 am

Hi when you make aircrete put shreded styrofoam

18. Hassan Safwan on October 20, 2021 at 10:01 am

Sir.. Shampoo name please

19. Toxie Connor on October 20, 2021 at 10:02 am

Try keeping the block wet as it cures. Perhaps that could prevent cracking.

20. Ms May on October 20, 2021 at 10:03 am

You’re a genius! Thank you thank you thank you! You’ve helped me an incredible amount and saved me a ton of time. Keep up the great work. 👍😁👍😁

21. Jewel Arender on October 20, 2021 at 10:06 am

Loved the video! Learned a lot!! That’s why i subscribed!!

22. Therés Johanson on October 20, 2021 at 10:11 am

Use a bit of glycering to hold the bubbles.
    I saw that in a video.
    Good luck!

23. Chanel’s dream⭐️ on October 20, 2021 at 10:14 am

Can i but one please say me where

24. BillyTheKid on October 20, 2021 at 10:14 am

Shampoo is not as effective as the professional quality ultra bubbly product you can buy for the purpose of making aircrete. Check out Drexel it’s not expensive but it is more expensive then shampoo but it’s more effective the bubbles last longer which matters for concrete.

I never thought to try and mix it that way usually you use an air compressor it’s a lot easier and a cheap DIY or professional quality but not super cheap option wand.

Aircrete takes 30 days to fully set you want to keep it wrapped and occasionally dampen under the plastic it helps prevent the cracking stresses you got. Give it bare minimum a week where you keep it damp like that, keep it out of direct sunlight also obviously. sun makes things warm, warm means expansion+drying out when it cools off super bad time.

Also adding a reinforcing fiber to the mix will help make it stronger, then go over it once set with a bit of concrete or a protective enamel/epoxy/whatever to make it harder and stronger on the outside. Most people just apply some concrete on the exterior and let that set to make it strong enough to keep bugs, animals, etc from digging into the aircrete. Might protect it from the weed whacker might take a few layers or a semi thick layer not sure.

25. markm0559 on October 20, 2021 at 10:14 am

Great work – I would like to see you use these methods to make some large planter pots. My motivation is I have a ‘mobile garden’ in large pots on wheels so I can move them about to clean the underlying pavers and make the best of the seasonal sun (or shade on hot days). Ideally, I would like to build the castors into the pots somehow. I’m thinking the perlite mix with reinforcing may be best.

26. Tony Garcia on October 20, 2021 at 10:15 am

What if you try with Perlite? What do you think about it?

27. joewilde on October 20, 2021 at 10:15 am

Just found this channel and loving it! I’m thinking of using pumice as I can get it quite cheap. Do you see any issues with pea pumice? Thanks

28. Fou T on October 20, 2021 at 10:16 am

Hi !
    Just had an idea, why not make a two step product by making a thin exterior layer of solid concrete 1/3 inch and then fill the remaining space with aircrete…

I mean the heart of the final product would be aircrete and the exposed part of regular concrete for durability.

Probably little more work, probably not 80% weight reduction perhaps 60% … but the final result worth it.

Tou have to figure out the best timing to poure the aircrete to achieve the best fusion between the two materials.

Would love to watch a video of you doing this.

Cheers from ALGERIA 🇩🇿

29. pampdsr1 on October 20, 2021 at 10:16 am

I haven’t read your comments board but as I see it the use of 1 sheet of mesh will allow the bending to happen as It would be difficult to have it positioned exactly center with which upon curing or drying will be biased to one way or the other which ever shows the least resistance therefore allowing the pulling to one side ! I suggest using 2 sheets approximately a third of the way of the outer faces ,which in my opinion would reduce the bending because the 2 sheets would be fighting each other as opposed to not having resistance at all to one side or the other I hope this explains how to my mind anyway how this could be a resolve ,as to the surface being more resistant to abrasion or impact a higher concentration of glass fiber will help with impact certainly ,but not so much for abrasion I suggest a much higher cement ratio (no foam) as a skim coat perhaps allowing hydration to partially take place before adding or continuation with your regular air Crete mix ,effectively creating a hard shell which should be able to resist the undesired attributes of the air Crete this all being to the detriment of weight! but I believe marginally compared to the benefits gained . This might a resolve, good luck in your efforts I’ll be watching to see how it turns out sincerely yours John Aussie truck driver / farmer

30. GWAForUTBE on October 20, 2021 at 10:16 am

Consider using charcoal powder. I think its crystaline structure would strengthen the concrete enough to make the messy ingredient worth its while

31. شرموس on October 20, 2021 at 10:16 am

Thx alot that helped so much

32. Jose Marinez on October 20, 2021 at 10:16 am

where can I get the perlite and glass fiber?

33. Николай Сергиенко on October 20, 2021 at 10:18 am

Прикрепи маленькие вибратор от воздуха и не мучайся!весь воздух уйдет. И воды меньше лей

34. Super Nova on October 20, 2021 at 10:21 am

AMAZING !!!

35. Larry B on October 20, 2021 at 10:22 am

Thanks for sharing. Nicely done

36. keithlol on October 20, 2021 at 10:24 am

Really cool idea, I’ll be saving this one for later on.

37. basileias2002 on October 20, 2021 at 10:24 am

Your precious experiments and results helped me a lot. thank you!!

38. Donnie Savage on October 20, 2021 at 10:25 am

Most people are not going to do this why don’t people like you make a bunch and sell it listen sell like hotcakes man

39. Faryad Malik on October 20, 2021 at 10:25 am

Great work

40. Patricio Bochatey on October 20, 2021 at 10:25 am

Hello!! I have a questuion about the foam, you say you have a foam that weights 3 pounds per 5 galon pale, however, Airecrete harry in most of his videos says that the foam should be around 0.22 pounds per .20 pounds ( he has it in grams, and he says it should be 90 grams per liter. ) so in this case your is almost 40% lighther, is that still good? Thanks!!

41. Billy Folse aka BBA Folse! on October 20, 2021 at 10:26 am

Use biodegradable melts in water packing peanuts for foam

42. Gwynford Dafydd on October 20, 2021 at 10:27 am

Bucket

43. Adalberto Braga on October 20, 2021 at 10:28 am

1 / 2 / 3 + .4 is the A B C of concrete mixtures.
    This ratio stands for 1 part of Portland cement, 2 part of the rough agregate, 3 parts of sand, (fine agregate) and 40% of water calculated upon the weight of cement used.

44. Taimul Haq on October 20, 2021 at 10:29 am

Sir, What will happen if I use thermocol instead of vermiculite ?

45. Leo oram on October 20, 2021 at 10:30 am

with the foam concrete, add perlite

46. John Hamilton on October 20, 2021 at 10:31 am

Your videos are excellent and on point for what I needed to know for a jumping point

47. Testing Babu on October 20, 2021 at 10:31 am

Sir, you are a beautiful man. Thanks a lot for posting this.

48. MellieMousechum3 on October 20, 2021 at 10:31 am

These videos are excellent. Thank you!

49. Morgan Flaherty on October 20, 2021 at 10:33 am

Have you considered trying pumice I happen to have it look available so that’s what I’m trying to do just started my first test runs today I’ll know tomorrow or the next day whether or not it turns out but it’s a lava rock air Creek mixture that I’m playing with figure might as well test out what I can do as cheaply as possible

50. muhammad adli abdul mutalib on October 20, 2021 at 10:38 am