How Kmart Went From Beating Walmart And Target To Bankruptcy

How Kmart Went From Beating Walmart And Target To Bankruptcy

In October 2018, Kmart’s parent company, Sears Holdings, filed for bankruptcy. Kmart first filed for bankruptcy in 2002, making this its second time in just 16 years. However, the struggling company used to be the biggest discount retailer of homegoods in the U.S. — even bigger than Target and Walmart.
» Subscribe to CNBC: http://cnb.cx/SubscribeCNBC

About CNBC: From ‘Wall Street’ to ‘Main Street’ to award winning original documentaries and Reality TV series, CNBC has you covered. Experience special sneak peeks of your favorite shows, exclusive video and more.

Connect with CNBC News Online
Get the latest news: http://www.cnbc.com/
Follow CNBC on LinkedIn: https://cnb.cx/LinkedInCNBC
Follow CNBC News on Facebook: http://cnb.cx/LikeCNBC
Follow CNBC News on Twitter: http://cnb.cx/FollowCNBC
Follow CNBC News on Google+: http://cnb.cx/PlusCNBC
Follow CNBC News on Instagram: http://cnb.cx/InstagramCNBC

#CNBC
#TheEmpires

How Kmart Went From Beating Walmart And Target To Bankruptcy

1. Shizon84 on November 1, 2021 at 10:09 am

I remember when I was a child in the 1990’s, we used to do our weekly shopping in Kmart. I remember like in 1996 and 1997, it used to be even more busier than Walmart. However, by the late 2000’s and the 2010’s, it really seemed like Kmart was suffering a long and painful death. The very last time that I was in one of their stores before they closed down for good by 2017 in my area, the whole store just seemed dead, like nobody shopping there and barely anyone working there. There were 3 stores in Panama City, Florida, but by 2017, all 3 locations had shut down forever.

2. Krissy the Time Traveler on November 1, 2021 at 10:10 am

I worked at the main office for 28 years, and it was terrible towards the end.. Kmart targeted employees they wanted to let go without a severance package. My husband and myself were let go on the same day. Destroyed him, he had 17 years, and ruined my marriage. They spent tons of money on the golden parachute for management…

3. Dev N. on November 1, 2021 at 10:11 am

WHAT IF TARGET 🎯. WENT OUT OF BUSINESS ?

4. SynchroSk8 on November 1, 2021 at 10:14 am

Back to School shopping was almost always done at Kmart as a kid in the 80s. I didn’t even know what Walmart was until I was in a small college town for university.

5. 🎶Lottie's Music🎶 on November 1, 2021 at 10:15 am

My favorite store back in the day 🌞

6. Sharon Elias-Hudnall on November 1, 2021 at 10:18 am

The question is have they heard of the internet

7. Melissa Todd on November 1, 2021 at 10:18 am

Bc Kmart always over priced a Wal-Mart rocks

8. Laura Ann on November 1, 2021 at 10:21 am

Maybe because Kmarts owner children came in and shop lifted approx 10 over heaping shopping carts of clothes and items at a time. I witnessed that’s one. They took 2 hours to ring it up and then void the transaction and 2 dozen of them walked out with all of the merchandise. I was fuming mad considering I was paid $3.35 per hour in 1979 at that San Diego location on university avenue that they crawled all over the building that very afternoon. Or maybe it was the managers of the stores that allowed theft in the dressing rooms (round 2 working Kmart garden grove CA. 2009)

9. Sharon Brandful on November 1, 2021 at 10:22 am

I worked at Kmart during college. Always a mess and unorganized aisles but man we had some loyal shoppers!

10. Sajith Channadathu on November 1, 2021 at 10:23 am

missed that walmart had investe dhealigy into back end IT which allowed them to procure and move things aorund cheaper and have more control over invetory which Kmart never did . so that made the difference

11. Matt Daugherty on November 1, 2021 at 10:23 am

My mom worked for kressege and kmart

12. Sean Ratnasinghe on November 1, 2021 at 10:25 am

How Kmart beat Walmart and Target to bankruptcy actually it’s the other way around. It actually should say the name of the YouTube video how did Walmart and Target beat Kmart to bankruptcy. Knowing that’s what it was being heard in this YouTube video.

13. Merri Frusti on November 1, 2021 at 10:25 am

We loved shopping there. It wasnt crowded and chaotic like Wmart.

14. Matt Daugherty on November 1, 2021 at 10:27 am

My mom worked for kressege and kmart

15. Michael Simko on November 1, 2021 at 10:28 am

The last time I can remember going into the closest Kmart was about 7 years ago. I can still picture how old, outdated, and dirty the store was vs WalMart and Target. That Kmart also had a layout that was confusing. Items they sold were right in the middle of WalMart and Target, causing people to either take a 5 minute drive to the nearest WalMart or Target to pay a little less or a little more for something of better value or better quality.
    The TJX Company is another retailer that has been very successful with big names and high quality at amazing prices.

16. Bronco McBane on November 1, 2021 at 10:29 am

Alot of errors in this story

17. Develen Tsai on November 1, 2021 at 10:32 am

This just BS story, in fact Kmart just can’t beat Walmart price that’s why it close down

18. KTEFilmsInc on November 1, 2021 at 10:32 am

ok… do I get my toaster though…?

19. wildflower on November 1, 2021 at 10:33 am

Walmart is next

20. Wooly Fish on November 1, 2021 at 10:35 am

This All Happened because everyone’s favorite color is Blue

21. Michael Kurtz on November 1, 2021 at 10:36 am

Kmart cheapened their brands by purchasing the cheapest of cheap and mostly non domestic product. Walmart was running a Made in Amerrica campaign. People felt like they were supporting their country by shoppoing Walmart.

22. David Boisseau on November 1, 2021 at 10:36 am

Kmart Should come back with an online store

23. Dedra Ross on November 1, 2021 at 10:38 am

GREED,. GREED,. GREED.

24. Lina Chouinard on November 1, 2021 at 10:40 am

I loved Kmart I wish it would come and get rid of walmart

25. kenneth scalir on November 1, 2021 at 10:41 am

Kmart is not totally out of business, they still have some remaining in select markets in the USA. Also, there is a separate and very successful Kmart found in Australia and New Zealand. Here are all of the non liquidating Kmarts in the USA and US territories as of September 26, 2021: 1. Tauming, Guam 2. Grass Valley, California 3. Key West, Florida 4. Miami, Florida 5. Hamilton, Montana 6. Avenel, New Jersey 7. Westwood, New Jersey 8. Bridgehampton, New York 9. Bronx, New York (The Shops at Bruckner) 10. Bronx, New York (Bay Plaza Shopping Center) 11. Hato Rey, Puerto Rico 12. St. Croix, U.S. Virgin Islands (Sunshine Mall) 13. St. Croix, U.S Virgin Islands (Sunny Isle Shopping Center) 14. St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (Tutu Park Mall) 15. St. Thomas, U.S. Virgin Islands (Lockhart Gardens Shopping Center). Liquidating Kmarts that are temporarily still open are 1. White Plains, New York 2. Brooklyn, New York (located on the ground floor of a liquidating Sears) and 3. Marshall, Michigan

26. YR Lee on November 1, 2021 at 10:42 am

I remember Calvin’s dad telling Calvin that he was a blue light special at Kmart, just as good but much cheaper!

27. The Wheel Weaves as it Wills on November 1, 2021 at 10:42 am

You say k mart is gone, but I’ve surprisingly been to a few. They are hanging on by a toe

28. Assassin Ferret Project on November 1, 2021 at 10:42 am

I support Target no matter what.

29. Marco Andres Rosario on November 1, 2021 at 10:43 am

Kmart was our first choice in Hazleton before close down. Now there’s another store that’s just like Michael’s but bigger

30. Michael Pickett on November 1, 2021 at 10:45 am

K Mart was just not trying to compete. They would carry the same merchandise as Wal-Mart but were 20% higher on price. Not even Martha Stuart could dig them out from under Lampert’s incompetence.

31. Life of Landon on November 1, 2021 at 10:46 am

Did you know, The company Was made by Sears.

32. ☾𝕧𝕚𝕓𝕖 𝕓𝕖𝕒𝕣☾ on November 1, 2021 at 10:46 am

KMART IS ALL EVERY WHERE IN AUSTRALIA

33. luigi 74 on November 1, 2021 at 10:47 am

Kmarts down fall was it was to high

34. Yaterboi 69. on November 1, 2021 at 10:48 am

There gonna close down 1996 brukner blvd one 🙁

35. 【Iconics】 on November 1, 2021 at 10:53 am

K-mart was the closest big warehouse store near me, when it shut down, it hurt me because I got everything over there, and seeing those empty shelves made me sad, I remember going there for the last time and buying some toys I wasnt even gonna play with but still wanna feel the nice feeling of buying something from there, I also passed it a couple days ago and was again sad to see it so empty.

36. PriusRaj on November 1, 2021 at 10:54 am

Kmart used to be my favorite place to shop for non-groceries. Now it’s Target.

My first pair of leather gloves came from Kmart. They used to have quality items.

Once Kmart started looking worse than Walmart and yet still had higher prices they killed themselves.

37. MeASC on November 1, 2021 at 10:55 am

Seems like our kmart went south after they added the craftsman line…when it first opened it had a home improvement….sporting goods…and sewing fabric material on bolts for the wife….and each had it’s own service counter…with actually people that worked that dept…when ours added the craftsman brand..they did a total revamp and took that away…and it was pretty much on a downhill after that…but it’s all going to be Amazon in the future…another monopoly on the way…

38. be cool on November 1, 2021 at 10:55 am

😭😭😭😭😭😭

39. A K on November 1, 2021 at 10:57 am

"Bankrupt, Struggling with debt and Watching its sales shrink" This line hit me so hard. These circumstances are a nightmare for any entrepreneur

40. John Keating on November 1, 2021 at 10:57 am

There WAS a reason to shop at Kmart. That was Martha Stewart and her line of branded merchandise. Everything was quality, designed well, attractive, and priced right. The worst thing Kmart did was hire the crook Charles Conway. Kmart was fine until he came in and stole from the employees and the corporation. The company never recovered after what he did. Even though my husband lost his job in advertising with the company who held the Kmart contract, we always stayed loyal to the brand. I always said as long as Martha was at Kmart, there was a reason to shop there. When her contract wasn’t renewed, that was it. They started slapping Jaclyn Smith’s name on everything that would have been Martha, and the outcome was tacky with a capital T. The only time I shopped at Kmart after Martha was for slippers. Then the stores started closing. It’s all a shame because they had loyal employees. I miss Martha, but at least you can still find her Everyday line on eBay and at Goodwill. 10 years later, we still have her towels, Christmas decorations, and glasses and China. I can’t believe they still have a website. Many careers ruined by their poor and greedy choices.

41. Nqtaliie on November 1, 2021 at 11:00 am

i remember in like 2016 or so i went back to school shopping there i forgot about that store

42. Rafael Capricho on November 1, 2021 at 11:00 am

Kmart is thriving and massiv in Australia so this video baffled me for a sec haha

43. Miranda and fluffy plays on November 1, 2021 at 11:01 am

K mart beat target in liverpool Australia

44. Christopher Calvello Plus on November 1, 2021 at 11:03 am

Somebody Changed The
    World forever

45. Earth on November 1, 2021 at 11:04 am

We need to salute to Kmart…

46. Tea on November 1, 2021 at 11:04 am

*its just a burning memory plays

47. Liam Wang on November 1, 2021 at 11:05 am

Come to Australia, our one is thriving

48. Z Ack on November 1, 2021 at 11:07 am

Amazonians are breeding in walmartopia creating politicians named karen..

49. Livon A on November 1, 2021 at 11:07 am

During my freshmen yr at college i worked at a Kmart sporting goods dept. Highlight of the day would be when we sold guns and ammos. Purchase being complete sop required us staffs to carry the arms upto the buyers car and I’d get a thrill doing that, being so young and all.

50. Coconutxcharli on November 1, 2021 at 11:08 am