Home Vegetable Gardening – Part I

Home Vegetable Gardening – Part I

Join Robert Norris, Associate Professor and Associate Botanist at UC Davis, as he discusses home vegetable gardening. Topics include tools needed, recommended reading, ground preparation, planting dates, selection of varieties, and seed planting depths. Series: “California Master Gardener Lecture Series” [7/2002] [Science] [Agriculture] [Show ID: 6675]

1. Gareth Dowling on November 2, 2021 at 10:13 am

I am sorry for misunderstanding you. Are you involved in the Californian wine trade?

2. Garden Sheds Devon on November 2, 2021 at 10:19 am

Discussing the overview of home vegetable gardening are worth learning for. I strongly agree with the bottomline and main insights of this video. It is another great information to ponder!

3. Cakes Downey on November 2, 2021 at 10:23 am

He also represents freeze dates as being things that change..HELL NO..as ANYONE who actually lives there OR looks at charts can tell you.

it’s 42 minutes into it and he has YET to mention fertilizer. only once he has mentioned water and he said it varies.

maybe label it for what it is, just some hobbiest rambling about various topics.

4. thortagro on November 2, 2021 at 10:24 am

Very Great Professor. I really love either your teaching in class IPM or This video.

Great thanks

5. katrinagoconnor on November 2, 2021 at 10:24 am

Ah yes, the sweet fragrant aroma of pesticides in the morning as I walk through my garden. This presenter is a paid hack job. Enough with the BS. Anyone advocating the use of chemical pesticides in this era is 1) A complete moron. 2) a industry insider or associate.

6. Gareth Dowling on November 2, 2021 at 10:25 am

Cakes, you may be right, but this kin’o’ mental cruelty wus bad eneuch commin fae ither weans whun ye gane tae school, but whun the teachers join’t in this kin’ o’ ill fashion’t cruelty it pits a mark on ye for the rest o’ yer deys an it’s ill tae hae onythin but a suspeeshun for ony sae criet larnit folk way there fancy Inglish tongues whut they be tae get aff a whin stane for they niver got them roon here. Anyway, did you enjoy the video?

7. Billy Innes on November 2, 2021 at 10:30 am

Where’s part 2

8. Gary hillerich on November 2, 2021 at 10:32 am

99 cent tomato seeds[25-30 seeds] & 85 cents S & H at eBay – rnew3340
    and many other dirt cheap flower & veggie seeds..buy your seeds now [while you still can] people are actually talking about selling soylent green in America in the near future & hearing the Chinese are already doing it! google it!
    certainly better than the 5 bucks for seeds & 5 bucks for S & H at burr pee & other big name seed sellers

9. Allison Soto on November 2, 2021 at 10:33 am

We’re in the process of making raised garden beds, my husband wants to lay over the top of the card board an organic garden fabric. I’m not sure that’s a good idea since it prevents grass and weeds, wouldn’t that also stop the roots of our vegetables from growing?

10. jimstormcrow on November 2, 2021 at 10:35 am

Seed saving?

11. Cakes Downey on November 2, 2021 at 10:45 am

this lecture should be taken down or it’s title needs to be changed. It is represented as a comprehensive guide..but it is far from it. some of it is actually dangerously misleading, for instance the fact that he said it is okay to use one pesticide dispenser for all mixes.

12. dawei53 on November 2, 2021 at 10:47 am

garden hoe is avaiable from draper tools

13. jason brueser on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

I’m really digging this video.

14. dawei53 on November 2, 2021 at 10:51 am

it is called an EXPERT STAINLESS STEEL PATIO WEEDER WITH FSC ASH HANDLE I tried to paste web address but system wouldn’t accept it.

15. MissionIMPROVable on November 2, 2021 at 10:55 am

If you like gardening humor, check out "We Grow Together"

16. Gareth Dowling on November 2, 2021 at 10:55 am

Why do you cuss me?

17. Cakes Downey on November 2, 2021 at 10:57 am

Friend, do not take it personal. your knowledge is not you and I am only speaking against the facts the vid contains and against the title.

this video carries the name of the most prestigious Ag University in California and it is Not okay that the pesticide info in it is inaccurate. Also, it is titled in a way that portrays it as comprehensive. it is not. I am an ag person in California and it offends me.

but You do not offend me.

18. kavkazip on November 2, 2021 at 10:58 am

I love it Robert, great work

19. Cakes Downey on November 2, 2021 at 11:00 am

no. i don’t enjoy wasting my time on inaccurate ramblings.

20. Ray Unseitig on November 2, 2021 at 11:06 am

I found it interesting. But then I’m not ‘serious’ about it. It is more about having fun and enjoying oneself and the show. I get my food at the store, and just browse the videos. You seem to be pissed off over a hobby.

21. Pepper Joe's on November 2, 2021 at 11:07 am

Great video. Check out my YouTube Gardening videos.

22. Gareth Dowling on November 2, 2021 at 11:08 am

It was written in many forms, for many shall harvest. Have you had a good new auld year’s eve?

23. credenza1 on November 2, 2021 at 11:08 am

The hoe at 6.30 is the best tool ever.I used to manage 14 acres of garden and could keep it weed free very easily by using a push pull hoe. It was aluminium, lightweight and a pleasure to use.

24. katrinagoconnor on November 2, 2021 at 11:10 am

"just someone who has many years of gardening experience"

Would you spray poison on your home garden?