How to build Raised Garden Beds on a Slope or Hillside Easy, Simple and Free or Cheap

Building raised beds can be simple if your are on flat land. What happens if you have a slope where you need to put the beds? Here is the solution. There are some challenges but with some time and ingenuity you can build some great raised beds.

This how-to video shows how you deal with the challenges of building on a slope. This project was completely free as the lumber and screws were reclaimed from other projects. Slopes can be a great advantage in gardening. If your slope is south facing that can make growing conditions similar to one gardening zone to the south!

I will be using these raised beds for the Home Garden field trial testing the effectiveness of Rock Dust and Biochar on vegetables.

Some of my favorite childhood memories are of gardening with my parents and brothers. This channel is about low cost organic urban gardening in zone 3. I am by no means an expert gardener however I love to share my experiments and journey garden year round. Please feel free to join the conversation and if you think you might like this channel subscribe. Have a great day!

Check us out on
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/stephenlegaree14
Webpage: www.albertaurbangarden.ca
Google +: google.com/+StephenLegaree
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AlbertaUrbanGarden
Twitter: https://twitter.com/northern1485
Pintrest: http://www.pinterest.com/ABurbanGarden/

1. C Bears Life on November 2, 2021 at 10:42 am

Poof magically square leveled boxes on an uneven slope. Magic? No video editing.

2. N Spctor on November 2, 2021 at 10:43 am

is this lumber TREATED?
    UM

3. Jesse N on November 2, 2021 at 10:46 am

glad to see someone else is doing this to utilize their hillside. I have mostly flat ground for farming but one hill in the BEST exposure zone. I thought of the Peruvians when I built mine but like yours, mine are cantilevered

4. Jerry Sabo on November 2, 2021 at 10:46 am

thanks! This will be added to my hillside in spring of 2021.

5. C Preacher on November 2, 2021 at 10:47 am

why not build the some what square frames and then lay them down instead of trying to do extra measurements to make sure it’s square? the way it’s designed you could have built the whole thing then laid it down and dig where necessary to level it out.

6. Allan Docater on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

I know you can find solutions to this problem in the Stodoys plans.

7. Zachary Petersen on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

Hiya. Great build. Where is the next video showing the trials with the finished boxes? (Please forgive I did look myself before asking) I feel like you mentioned a piece running along the bottom of the sides on the slope? Perhaps a piece of 1x?

8. Kenny Yang on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

I love your idea. I will try to make a raised garden on a slope

9. Chewning Witmer on November 2, 2021 at 10:53 am

You should visit woodprix website if you would like to make it by yourself I think.

10. joffa5555 on November 2, 2021 at 10:57 am

Hi Steven.
    Is the wood you are using treated pine?
    Do you have any concerns over the CCA leaching into the plant soil?
    Over many years with people doing lots of work on there gardens, is it still safe to use this type of wood?

11. rain coast on November 2, 2021 at 10:57 am

Nice job on the bed! Don’t worry about the metric tape measure, you might be the only Canadian who has one, ha ha. The ones with both metric and imperial on them drive me nuts.

12. maxpolaris99 on November 2, 2021 at 10:57 am

How long will it stay that way after a few winters with frost heaves? Have you seen other sloped beds after a few years?

13. Jared Reviea on November 2, 2021 at 10:58 am

Totally didn’t know Norm Macdonald was into gardening.

14. Starr Myres on November 2, 2021 at 10:58 am

All of my woodworks I am making with woodprix. Google and try it.

15. Romaine Athey on November 2, 2021 at 10:58 am

You can use woodprix instructions to build it yourself guys.

16. Romaine Athey on November 2, 2021 at 10:59 am

I found great plans on the Woodprix website. I think this is a good solution for everyone.

17. Kesha Borja on November 2, 2021 at 11:00 am

Learn how to make it yourself with all details. Just look for woodprix 🙂

18. Shane p on November 2, 2021 at 11:00 am

Thanks Steven, excellent carpentry and farming skills 🙂 keep up the good work

19. justgivemethetruth on November 2, 2021 at 11:01 am

that is what you are calling a slope?

20. Kaaren Remley on November 2, 2021 at 11:02 am

I’ve got a steeper and bigger yard than this. Any suggestions on steeper yards?

21. Peg Dimarco on November 2, 2021 at 11:06 am

You should go to woodprix if you’d like to make it yourself guys.

22. Crissy Kara on November 2, 2021 at 11:08 am

*Thanks to this fantastic program. Since I packed in newly, I have been trying to keep it cool with the landscaping of the house and make myself feel at home. But instead, it tried paying me back with regrets and hatred for it when it keeps looking ugly. But thanks to this great program   [Details Here==**https://plus.google.com/u/1/110086446704524205338/posts/HrzGjo6aFKc** ] I must say.*

23. Kate McAllister on November 2, 2021 at 11:09 am

I can’t even watch this after having been accosted by a BS ad to try and pin something on Biden. Disgusting.

24. Wildly Wonderful Soaps on November 2, 2021 at 11:10 am

Most descriptive video I have ever seen, Thank YOu

25. Terri Chapman on November 2, 2021 at 11:10 am

You are cracking me up! My Mom is from Blackie, so I love hearing you talk. Makes me think of my cousins!

26. Chavira Wiser on November 2, 2021 at 11:14 am

Woodprix is nice for that.

27. Starr Stewart on November 2, 2021 at 11:17 am

i made it too. just used woodprix instructions. just click the pig on that website :)))

28. Clifford Vargas on November 2, 2021 at 11:18 am

*The best I have come across as of now. I will relent this to anyone and all to my friends looking for a collection of designs. I don’t see anyone passing all this without consulting the best program for their problem. I am so much delighted to work with them and making use of their designs without any further problem again [Details Here==**https://www.facebook.com/Land-scaping-1486105054770531/app/208195102528120/** ].*

29. ASAD KHAN on November 2, 2021 at 11:18 am

dumb as shit!. This is all cosmetics. the ground is still sloped thus water will still drain fastly and thus roots will still grow towards gravity. Not sustainable. You need terraced farm.

30. Jason King on November 2, 2021 at 11:21 am

Those are going to rot away in no time flat. =/

31. Shariukasz on November 2, 2021 at 11:21 am

Why are you apologizing to Canadians for using imperial units? The rest of the developed world nations are using metric system! Thanks for great ideas in the video BTW.

32. muhammad ikmal noorrizat on November 2, 2021 at 11:22 am

How about termites

33. Shady Man on November 2, 2021 at 11:23 am

Still don’t believe I could build it, sadly…

34. Turtle Life on November 2, 2021 at 11:23 am

Great video, thank you I found it really helpful !

35. myopenheartconz on November 2, 2021 at 11:23 am

Blah blah blah…

36. Adkins Mikkelsen on November 2, 2021 at 11:26 am

Just google WoodPrix 😉 I’ve found great instructions on this website. Great plans and instructions for everyone.

37. lourdes barcelo on November 2, 2021 at 11:26 am

Thanks it’s very helpful for me and my garden

38. Abhishek Bhatnagar on November 2, 2021 at 11:28 am

This is really good and very helpful, thanks mate for posting this video. Could you please advise on what type of  wood I will  be using for this, I treated for non treated,  cedar is little difficult to get in Melbourne Australia.

39. adampfranklin on November 2, 2021 at 11:28 am

I Had to stop and comment… because I sketched almost exactly the same raised beds last weekend planning to lay them tomorrow, but with 3 2x4s in place of the 2 2x6s per box. Googled "raised beds on a hillside" looking for more ideas and your video came up as the first result, confirming my plans, and giving me a good idea of what it will look like. In my case, I’m taking advantage of the existing hill to rotate crops down the boxes each year, without having to worry too much about plants shading each other. Thanks for posting!

40. skojig oquist on November 2, 2021 at 11:31 am

I’m sure you made these for Canadians 🙂 here in Europe we don’t normally use feet and inches.
    And by the way – Canada is metric since 1996. 🙂

41. Lazylizard67 on November 2, 2021 at 11:32 am

I liked watxhing your video but was hoping fir more detail as you digging the trench area that you needed to fit the wood in. I need to fix our garden area because its slanted and need to level it.

42. Rory Finazzo on November 2, 2021 at 11:33 am

do you think its possible to do this on a 45 degree slope

43. Joyce Martin on November 2, 2021 at 11:33 am

Hi thanks for your video! I enjoy that you use reused wood for your raised beds. My nephews and I are beginners and have bought cheap white construction wood for our first beds since we are on a low budget however some have what we think is black mold! And we are not sure if they are safe to use can you please advice us Thanks and best regards from Bolivia!

44. Jessica Sommy on November 2, 2021 at 11:36 am

woodprix is full of awesome tips. Very helpful to me. Thanks

45. Logan on November 2, 2021 at 11:36 am

Thank you plan to build some this summer
    What do you think about wicking beds,did see a flaw in them.If water level drops how do the roots get water,unless you plant some pots into the lower level,that will feed the rest of the bed

46. Aaron Gasper on November 2, 2021 at 11:36 am

*A complete and comprehensive package [ Check Details Here=> **deam.design/9trw** ], I am so thrilled with what I’ve got in the package. I could use this for a very long time to come. This is the most complete manual I’ve ever seen Thank you Ryan.*

47. DJ Giermann on November 2, 2021 at 11:37 am

Sir that’s a rectangle. Haha 🙂 p.s. I knew ya meant by square.

48. KuroiMushi on November 2, 2021 at 11:39 am

caskade raised beds look much better than flat ones 😀

49. The homeschool family Northern Ireland on November 2, 2021 at 11:40 am

super job

50. Puryear Eaker on November 2, 2021 at 11:41 am

plans from woodprix are awesome!