Katie's Allotment – June 2015 – The Fruit Cage!

Katie's Allotment – June 2015 – The Fruit Cage!

The fruit cage has finally been finished! It’s only been on my to-do list for a whole year but with some help from my Dad those pesky birds won’t be eating my berries ever again.

I hope you all enjoy the video and thank you for watching!

Subscribe to my channel to keep up to date with future videos and find me on:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Lavend…
Instagram: http://instagram.com/lavenderandleeks#
Twitter: https://twitter.com/lavender_leeks
Blog: http://www.lavenderandleeks.co.uk/

1. Foodie Laura on November 2, 2021 at 10:21 am

A great fruit cage to keep the birds away

2. Jacko’s Allotment on November 2, 2021 at 10:21 am

Nice one Katie looks great I like the idea of the curtain hooks for the roof part. Hey you really get stuck in with the DIY stuff bet ya dads well proud! Keep the good work up cheers!

3. Preppy Pink Crocodile on November 2, 2021 at 10:21 am

Oh wow- I had no idea it was going to be so big. Very impressive! You did a fantastic job! Have you ever tried growing ground cherries / pineapple tomatillos? They look like small tomatillos with the paper husks. I’ve never tasted (or even seen) a gooseberry but was once told they are similar in taste. Unsure if that’s true but they are sweet and tasty regardless. And I’ve found that pests rarely bother with the paper husks to find the fruit inside.

KK @ Preppy Pink Crocodile

4. Paula Beattie on November 2, 2021 at 10:22 am

Looks really good. Where did you buy your netting?

5. Cherie Naera on November 2, 2021 at 10:24 am

Wow! That was a bigger job than I thought! A great job lo e the way your dad and you work together I’ve done the polar opposite I’ve pulled out all my raspberries and strawberries sick of years of puny unfulfilled harvests! I have however kept the boysenberry a and I think, pruned it correctly for once!
    Very nice to have two recent videos from you to watch! Thanks!

6. Les French on November 2, 2021 at 10:24 am

Great job Katie I was wondering how to make a fruit cage, thank you!

7. Linda Penney on November 2, 2021 at 10:32 am

awesome update thank you for sharing have a blessed evening

8. Heathercliff on November 2, 2021 at 10:36 am

Birds. My problem is birds and squirrels 🐿. They don’t share anything. They wait right before harvest an take it all. Lol. I’m going to try and build a cage over my veg and fruit trees. Thanks for a wonderful editing on your build. Looks lovely. Glad I found you 🙏

9. Allie Hunter on November 2, 2021 at 10:37 am

when you getting chickens?

10. Teresa H on November 2, 2021 at 10:38 am

You and your dad did a great job on the fruit cage. I know you are so glad that that is behind you. God Bless and take care.

11. Agribelle autonomie et compagnie on November 2, 2021 at 10:40 am

Great job I like it ❤🏵🐞🌱

12. DJMovit on November 2, 2021 at 10:44 am

Your dad has to be so proud of a very handy daughter he has! It looks great, best of luck with it!
    Tim

13. Lwest on November 2, 2021 at 10:44 am

Well done you two! Another step forward on the plot 🙂

14. john doe on November 2, 2021 at 10:45 am

ur mike’s a bit too close to mouth….

15. Sarah bazeley on November 2, 2021 at 10:46 am

Hi new subscriber thanks for sharing ☺

16. baconsoda on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

That’s a great job and better for making it to suit you because, many times, I’ve bought things that look like they are designed for dwarfs.  I hope your Dad was able to struggle home for a nice sit-down and a cup of tea because he looked absolutely slaughtered there.
    Best Wishes, Brendan.

17. Rich W on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

Good job Katie and also dad on making that fruit cage, great music choice and introduction to your videos…

18. M Mar on November 2, 2021 at 10:49 am

I love your videos! They make me long for the day when I can move out of my apartment and into a house with a yard. We do have community gardens here in the US, but not on the scale of the allotments in the UK, so it’s hard to find for me; what a lovely tradition you have!

19. Allotment Diggers on November 2, 2021 at 10:51 am

Katie you did a Great Job, Who say women can’t use tools….When you have a bit of time i would get some wood preservative and give the frame a lick of paint…
    Regards Mark

20. Dave McLaughlin on November 2, 2021 at 10:56 am

Great job! Love your channel! 🙂

21. Mary Phillips on November 2, 2021 at 10:57 am

Well done Katie! That’s not going to blow away, it looks very sturdy. And so simple to make too.

22. Gimme A. Dream on November 2, 2021 at 10:57 am

I’m going to use your idea for my small fruit area…, except I’m not sure what to do with the cherry and apple trees. Thank you for sharing your videos of your allotment.

23. Jalynne Fuentes on November 2, 2021 at 11:06 am

I love the way you and your dad work together. The roses are lovely, by the way.

24. Jane Kelly on November 2, 2021 at 11:10 am

Well done Katie! Our fruit cage is currently six metal poles lying on the potato bed – must get started! I like the idea of removable top netting – I’ve heard of all sorts of snow disasters so it makes perfect sense. Thank you!

25. The Hapless Gardener on November 2, 2021 at 11:12 am

Great build! 🌱👍

26. Lu Jitsu on November 2, 2021 at 11:12 am

Can someone tell me where to get the gig netting like that? I have this issue and have bought some but, it’s small and cheap. I need big size like hers. Thank you.

27. Nixx on November 2, 2021 at 11:13 am

what fruit bushes do you have growing in your fruit cage?

28. Molly Smith on November 2, 2021 at 11:13 am

Very impressive cage!  Good job and now the fruit will be all yours.

29. Allotment UK on November 2, 2021 at 11:13 am

A job that is on my to do list as well.    Loved the video showed enterprise and ingenuity, well done.  Mike B

30. Deb Bailey on November 2, 2021 at 11:15 am

what fruit did u put in the cage.ive got one ready to use🌼

31. The Abled Gardener on November 2, 2021 at 11:17 am

Great job Katie, I know you waited a long time for your fruit and berry cage and now you can eat your own berries instead of the birds. Great video. I have to copy some of your  items (I hope you don’t mind) the mason bee hive and an arbor to plant beans and little pumpkins on, they’re just too cute! I might steal some other ideas too, LOL. Take care, Kim

32. Judith Williams on November 2, 2021 at 11:18 am

Nice fruit cage.  You and your dad make a great team.

33. Nang P on November 2, 2021 at 11:18 am

Your so lucky you have a dad that’s there helping you, mines in heaven 🙌🏼looking down cheering me on….enjoyed watching your videos with your dad
    Katie!

34. MrsDoyles Garden on November 2, 2021 at 11:18 am

Great job with the fruit cage : )   Regards Joan

35. nery colon's garden on November 2, 2021 at 11:18 am

Looks great. I always have to protect my plants from chickens lol Your allotment looks great. Loved and Suubed