10 Best Ways to Heat Greenhouse for Free, DIY Cheap Low Cost Heater Winter Growing Poly High Tunnel

How To Heat & Extend Your Growing Season & Even Grow In Winter!
DIY GREENHOUSE BUILD: https://youtu.be/i5Zn0nYTGHY
MY GREENHOUSE 4 YEARS LATER February 2020 https://youtu.be/p7ZqoqcFdOo

DIY Raised Garden Beds Instructions: https://youtu.be/-fp0becLcC0

When & How to Start Seed Germination Planting: https://youtu.be/m9CEeERj6Qs

GREENHOUSE AT 1 YEAR: https://youtu.be/7Cej2V7TxKs

Im mild climates the greenhouse allows for growing year round. All year growing can be achieved by using water jugs or barrels for thermal mass.
In cooler climate this greenhouse allows growers to extend their outdoor growing season by several months! I use to have to wait until May after last frost to grow outside and plants died by early October. After making this greenhouse I was able to start seedlings in the greenhouse in March and the extra warmth & protection the greenhouse provides made the plants grow stronger, healthier and more bountiful for transplant earlier, and I was able to start another cycle of cool weather crops in September and harvest in late November!

@12:13 I incorrectly said a depth of 30 feet, I meant to explain that a Length of about 30 feet & a depth of around 5 feet so that it would be long enough to have sufficient heat transfer. (longer would be better, if you have the means, you could coil it as in the photo I showed to maximize efficiency)

Questions, Comments, or Compliments?
~ Please Leave Them Below! ~

Livingthegoodlifenow

#greenhouseheat #Greenhouseheater #Greenhouse

👕🧢 SHOW YOUR SUPPORT WITH MY FUN MERCH ➡️ https://teespring.com/stores/livingthegoodlifenow

© 2017 LivingTheGoodLife
LTGL MultiMedia
LTGLN Media
The Good Life
ASMR Sound Source
Living The Good Life
LivingTheGoodLifeNow
Living The Good Life Now

1. Why Not Because on November 5, 2021 at 10:45 am

I like to use waterbed heater. It’s basically a heat mat, but you can set the temperature to what ever degree with the thermostat dial. You can put your plant trays right on it cause its water proof. You can find people online selling them cheap sometimes.

2. ArAkn on November 5, 2021 at 10:45 am

molding?? it is algi not mold 😀

3. brewerfireguy on November 5, 2021 at 10:45 am

Awesome video! Great tips!

4. Mac Clark on November 5, 2021 at 10:48 am

Vent free heaters burn 99.8% efficient so aren’t deadly or damage the plants. RIGA Greenhouses are twin walled and actually have an R value. So keeping it heated isn’t an issue in Montana Winter’s. That plastic Greenhouse is cheap and would blow over here. Or be wiped out in a hail storm.

5. P N on November 5, 2021 at 10:49 am

I use metal (aluminum?) roofing materials and have the the heat lamp heat it on top and ceramic tiles directly on the bottom. Both reflect the heat for my chicks, that could use in this case.

6. Geri Reski on November 5, 2021 at 10:52 am

In really cold temps should i run the ceiling fan in my greenhouse at night? I noticed citrus growers do that.

7. Mac Clark on November 5, 2021 at 10:54 am

I use a 20,000 btu ventless propane Mr. Heater in a RIGA9 Greenhouse. In conjunction with Black 30 gal. plastic barrels filled with River Rock. But I have a thermostatically controlled electric heater as primary heat. Here in Central Montana the temps can get -40° so being ready to add heat as needed is important.

8. laura love on November 5, 2021 at 10:55 am

I have a 30 gallon propane tank our heater runs off of and it only lasted 2 nights. Way too expensive.

9. Cris Chalmers on November 5, 2021 at 10:57 am

They put off co2 lol which is good for plants

10. Carolina Wren on November 5, 2021 at 10:57 am

For my mini greenhouse I am going to try two pocket hand warmers.

11. William R Buchanan on November 5, 2021 at 10:58 am

Heat rises, plants are where the heat is, in the Earth, but heating the top is of a greenhouse, just a like ‘Carrot ‘ to the frost. Distraction at a cost.
    Thinking styrene on foil ‘ tunnel u shape’ over seedlings , seal ends as best you can . Might stop the heat waste.

12. C Peterson on November 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

How about…. A soda can solar heater, a small solar panel/ battery, and a 12 v bilge fan.

13. TheyFramedMe on November 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

Several good ideas here, I suggest setting up an exhaust fan system if you use the compost method to suck out excess green gases produced by the compost.

I have my green house 8′ from my house and set up a 6" fan in the wall of my house sucking out air from in the house through a PVC pipe that goes under ground and up into the green house. Keeps my green house at tolerable temps in the winter and comfortable temps for the rest of the year. The fan is powered by a 6v solar panel I bought for 10.00 on amazon.

14. Jeffrey Kemper on November 5, 2021 at 10:59 am

Plants turn carbon dioxide to oxygen to breath. It will not kill the plants that way. But heat can kill them by drying the plants out.

15. Jimmythepin on November 5, 2021 at 11:00 am

What happens when the water in the jugs or barrels freezes? If you have three or four days in a row with no sun and very cold temps, the water will freeze. Wouldn’t that just turn the greenhouse into a cooler? Also, where is your greenhouse located?

16. David Rivera on November 5, 2021 at 11:01 am

Causes absorb the energy and at night releases

17. Mike Friedman on November 5, 2021 at 11:01 am

In Korea they use large blocks of charcoal outside in a burner, they heat their homes using pipes under the floor.

That could be an option.

18. Linda Johnson on November 5, 2021 at 11:03 am

Great video. How do you deal with all the condensation that builds up inside? Does it adversely effect the plants? I’m glad I found your channel.

19. WIEJSKIE INSPIRACJE - ogród, kuchnia, zdrowie on November 5, 2021 at 11:04 am

I have 3 greenhouses in Poland. I think that Your suggest are good for me too.

20. Thomas Pickens on November 5, 2021 at 11:05 am

9:06 carbon monoxide is quickly oxidized into carbon dioxide, which is excellent for plants. While in the mono form it’s not harmful to plants at all.

21. oilspeculatorhater on November 5, 2021 at 11:05 am

Thank you, great information.

22. ionasan on November 5, 2021 at 11:05 am

Carbon monoxide is actually good for plants, haha.

23. Coach Hannah on November 5, 2021 at 11:05 am

In fact heaters are 100% efficient… 😎

24. Walter Flanamonk on November 5, 2021 at 11:07 am

You can also build a rabbit or chicken house as the northern or western wall and let animals heat your greenhouse.

25. LivingTheGoodLife on November 5, 2021 at 11:07 am

26. Jeffrey Kemper on November 5, 2021 at 11:08 am

Geo thermal is just below the frost line. In colder winter climates the deeper the frost line is down. Usally 10 foot is the deepest you need to go. Where the ground stays warm all year long about 55°!

27. Thomas Pickens on November 5, 2021 at 11:08 am

6:07 an oil radiator heater is a thermal mass heater. It’s not the same as the other two heaters. They’re much more efficient, and they don’t remain on constantly. It’s basically like combining your gallon jugs with a water heater element. And the black radiator heaters are much more efficient because they soak heat during the day and don’t kick on as quickly during the first few hours of the night.

28. stormy weather on November 5, 2021 at 11:12 am

the clay pots wont heat anything but your hands over the pots and only as long as a tealite candle will last

29. Martin Dunkel on November 5, 2021 at 11:12 am

installing a wood stove in 2017… are you living in the stoneage or america?!

30. Brian King on November 5, 2021 at 11:13 am

Plants love CO 2 man

31. Fatboy S FLSTBS on November 5, 2021 at 11:14 am

4 Candles

32. Terry Nokleby on November 5, 2021 at 11:14 am

Carbon monoxide is not harmful to plants. A plant will convert CO into CO2.

33. William R Buchanan on November 5, 2021 at 11:17 am

It said free, like Geothermal? Any ideas and know how.

34. john mirbach on November 5, 2021 at 11:19 am

😁✌🖖👌👍😎

35. DrScopeify on November 5, 2021 at 11:19 am

Great ideas but this won’t work here in the NW too much lack of sun and heat in autumn and spring to be of any use. I am playing with incandescent heat lights

36. Hân Đặng on November 5, 2021 at 11:20 am

Binh MInh Company specializes in supplying greenhouse film and insect net Politiv Israel in Vietnam mangnhakinh.com.vn

37. ArAkn on November 5, 2021 at 11:21 am

iT IS Clay, not terracotta

38. Chris Kennedy on November 5, 2021 at 11:25 am

WHO bless ?
    You did the research & work

39. Joshua Smart on November 5, 2021 at 11:27 am

I think it would cost more like $5 or more a night to heat with a space heater.

40. mike D on November 5, 2021 at 11:29 am

ucan also fart and use the heat thats emitted

41. MediaMatters IsMyCockHolster on November 5, 2021 at 11:30 am

"most people have them (red or blue heat lamps) lying around from old reptile tanks or fish tanks…" lol! No.. no we do not.

42. Ryan McCall on November 5, 2021 at 11:30 am

Way 11: Sleep in Your Greenhouse at Night

43. Ken G on November 5, 2021 at 11:30 am

A grower in TN wanted to move from rockwood to Rossville. Hi heat bill was already 8000 a month…crossville was much colder…
    He experimented with triple poly layers…it cut the bill 34 percent with negligible light loss…a true pioneer Dan the Man

44. Raven Dragonsong on November 5, 2021 at 11:31 am

The propane heater is not good in my opinion, try lasting part of a night, not a month or a week. Big waste of money

45. Max Dax on November 5, 2021 at 11:32 am

What about solar thermal panels?

46. Antenna Wilde on November 5, 2021 at 11:33 am

I’m using a BBQ grill on lowest setting with the lid closed, with the lower sides of the greenhouse open for air flow and reduced humidity. So far the greenhouse went from 57 degrees and 85% humidity to 62 degrees and 70% humidity in about an hour. Seems to be working, as it’s been cold and raining here for 5 days in a row and something had to be done to prevent fruit drop

47. Jonathan Hreno on November 5, 2021 at 11:34 am

I run ducting from clothes dryer to my greenhouse as well as my bathroom fan for a bit of extra heat. Just gets wasted otherwise.

48. Eddie brevet on November 5, 2021 at 11:39 am

First put wire mesh and tarp together in 06 , realized the potential and put it to good use, been on back of my pickup truck since. Idea now is to live in one, simple arched one level, think I can make it quite big, enforced with rebar, heated by lights, green grass carpet

49. Lind Johnson on November 5, 2021 at 11:41 am

I’ve used a wood stove then switched to a rocket stove.
    Beware of the bellows effect on windy days, sometimes when opening the door the stove would belch smoke out the damper.
    And the rocket stove would throw embers out the feeding hole.
    Be careful, you can pipe a flew duct into the stove from outside to avoid the effect.

50. PS R on November 5, 2021 at 11:41 am

It gets bitterly cold here in Minnesota December through February. What heating method do you think would be my cheapest option for a 8×16 twin wall poly-carbonate greenhouse I’m setting up this spring?