1. smartline555 on November 6, 2021 at 10:41 am

Hi David ~ My question is regarding walnut tree leaves. Firstly I have many old walnut trees and over the years have used the leaves for compost, I’ve never noticed any adverse effects but reading posts on the net they are reported as releasing poison into the soil.

2. donHooligan on November 6, 2021 at 10:42 am

don’t use chemical fertilizer ever again…compost/tea and green mulch. let animals hang out there for a season. plant a cover crop, like alfalfa or clover.
    oh yeah. tons and tons of compost.

3. Work With Nature - How to Grow Food! on November 6, 2021 at 10:43 am

Hey hey hey 🙂

4. Allen Hannah on November 6, 2021 at 10:46 am

nice video with great tips

5. Malcolm T on November 6, 2021 at 10:47 am

One free alternative to lime is wood ashes. Use it like a P, K, and Calcium fertilizer for acidic soil. I spread 3 or 4 pounds of ash per 100 square feet applied a month or so before I plant in the spring.

6. MrMac5150 on November 6, 2021 at 10:48 am

Hey Brother Dave

7. Cj & Lindsey Land on November 6, 2021 at 10:50 am

ive got feed cotton seeds for anyone in the usa who wants them hit me up and i’ll send you out some.

8. Work With Nature - How to Grow Food! on November 6, 2021 at 10:51 am

That’s true, thanks for the info.
    David.

9. Work With Nature - How to Grow Food! on November 6, 2021 at 10:53 am

That is a very nice way of putting it. Very true 😉

10. slink on November 6, 2021 at 10:56 am

Hi workwithnature, I’ve started growing my own marajuana and I was wondering what kind of

11. tom goodwin on November 6, 2021 at 10:59 am

Hi David, I started a new garden last year and had really good results using well composted cow manure (bought!) and compost tea. I picked up a large load of fresh horse manure (plus all I want in the future), should I wait until it completely breaks down or can I use it a little sooner? I can’t plant until very late May, long enough?
    Love your vids

12. Cynthia Smith on November 6, 2021 at 11:00 am

We have to use raised beds for our vegetable garden. We have pocket gophers. They eat the roots of most plants, with the exception of grasses. There are a few other exceptions, but not many. Some bulbs are not pleasant tasting to gophers, but they get back at you by taking the bulbs and burying them somewhere else. To keep the gophers out of your annual garden build a raised bed and stretch gopher wire across the bottom and staple the wire to the wood of your raised bed. To protect perennial plants and trees without a raised bed, make a gopher wire basket and enclose the roots.

13. ardas on November 6, 2021 at 11:06 am

Generally leaves of english walnut (Juglans regia) can be safely composted as they dont contain huge amount of juglone compount that stunts growth of other plants. On the other hand leaves of black walnut (Juglans nigra) contain a lot of this compound and shoud not be composted.

14. AlusaBird2 on November 6, 2021 at 11:07 am

Raised beds tend to warm up slightly earlier than the ground.

15. Cynthia Smith on November 6, 2021 at 11:09 am

It is easier to compost right in the beds, keep dogs from overrunning your veggies, to drape with various clothes and wires, and to set your rabbit cages on top of the beds (for rabbit manure). Beds are beautiful! Use used wood!

16. Work With Nature - How to Grow Food! on November 6, 2021 at 11:10 am

Thanks there 🙂
    David.

17. Pathighly on November 6, 2021 at 11:11 am

Hi it is a pleasure to see people starting,
    Pigs may plow the plot for you in one year, Chips wood may rebuild the soil in a few years, lasagna raised beds without wood frames may be started right away on top of the soil as you bring all the biomass on site, chicken tractor may clean and fertilize a small area in a month, in a long term plan, planting fruit bushes and trees, roots plants and cover plants (living mulch) may regenerate the soil and protect it from the wind…

18. Cynthia Smith on November 6, 2021 at 11:16 am

Additional answer to the raised bed question: If you have drainage issues and hard clay soil, raised beds will get your garden started in a shorter amount of time. If you have gophers, raised beds can have gopher wire attached to the bottom before filling with dirt. Digging into the soil and lining trenches with wire is time-consuming. If you live in a place that has lots of morning fog, raised beds can help your soil warm up, so that heat loving plants will be happier.

19. Work With Nature - How to Grow Food! on November 6, 2021 at 11:19 am

Could not agree more 😉
    David.

20. Work With Nature - How to Grow Food! on November 6, 2021 at 11:25 am

Hi Sue,
    I will make a video on your questions soon in regards to the back to eden approach. For now let me say it might take a good bit longer than two years with the back to eden method. I am all for letting nature do what it does best 😉
    David.