Building Raised Garden Beds

Building Raised Garden Beds

It’s taken me some time to build garden beds in the home garden but they’re finally in. I can’t wait to show them to you! The reason they took so long is that I have quite a few challenges. In this video I’ll share my reasons for choosing lined raised garden beds over no-dig beds along with the type of wood I’ve used, what I’ve filled the beds with so far, and my worries over tree roots.

Let me know what you think of my solutions and also if you’ve heard of the New Zealand Flatworm before. It really is making life hard for earthworms on the Isle of Man.

For more detailed information on building these raised beds visit https://lovelygreens.com/building-raised-garden-beds/

1. If you enjoyed this video please give it a thumbs up and subscribe over here: https://www.youtube.com/user/lovelygreenstv?sub_confirmation=1

2. Remember to TURN ON notifications to know when new videos are out

3. Subscribe to my free weekly newsletter: https://www.subscribepage.com/lovelygreens

4. Have a question or comment? Please leave them below — I love to hear from you!

5. Support Lovely Greens https://paypal.me/lovelygreens — thank you so much for helping make Lovely Greens happen.

ABOUT LOVELY GREENS

Interested in how I make videos? Here’s my essential equipment*

Main camera https://amzn.to/2HHa3bp
Main camera lens https://amzn.to/2UUlbF7
Secondary camera https://amzn.to/2YgcUgC
Secondary camera tripod https://amzn.to/2JGxDqE
Microphone https://amzn.to/2Uh0fLv
Software: Adobe Premiere

*Lovely Greens is a participant in Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites. Basically I make a small commission if you end up making a purchase. Thank you for your support.

IMAGE CREDITS
I shared several Creative Commons images of raised beds in this video. Here are the links to the original sources:
— Sarah and Jason raised bed http://bit.ly/2Gjk8bs
— Mark Lasanga layering http://bit.ly/2GdBjey
— Amanda B http://bit.ly/2IiE5CX
— Alachua County raised bed garden http://bit.ly/2KEnGdO

#backyardgardening #allotment #vegetablegarden

1. KikiChapelle on November 7, 2021 at 11:07 am

Do you line your raised beds or use weed cloth?

2. Green Leaf Grow on November 7, 2021 at 11:08 am

I need to have a outdoor run lol. Cheers everyone!!! โœŒ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆ

3. Private Suzie on November 7, 2021 at 11:08 am

I can no longer bend to maintain my raised vegetable beds. I am looking for waist high design solutions. Since I grow primarily lettuces that have shallow root systems, I am wondering about just placing planter boxes on top of tables. Also, for other veggies that might need more room, make height of open raised beds about the height I could comfortably reach by sitting on a bench. I have seen the use of corrugated metal to build high beds, and you have to fill the bottom of beds with cuttings, etc…anyway, any more wisdom out there?

4. The Clumsy Prepper on November 7, 2021 at 11:13 am

We have a tree root problem in our garden as well as it’s long and narrow with trees growing on the borders. It took us forever to dig the soil for planting potatoes.

Unfortunately there isn’t anything we can do about except put up with it.

5. Joel Galyk on November 7, 2021 at 11:16 am

I enjoyed the video, it answered a couple of questions i had. I’m just starting out, live on a .5 acre lot and want to start two raised bed for next spring. I’m have to do it on a tight budget . The area I’m starting it on is nothing but weeds so putting down a landscape or weed fabric was one question answered the other was lumber. Using cedar was the the other then pressure treated was the last. I did subscribe for future advice and know how. Thanks a bunch.

6. Anna Zucconi on November 7, 2021 at 11:16 am

Thank you! I really appreciated your explanation and advice. I am about to build a raised vegetable garden and I will take it into account.

7. Zalia Butler on November 7, 2021 at 11:21 am

Great video and very informative Tfs๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿพ๐Ÿ’—

8. Kristine Schilling on November 7, 2021 at 11:21 am

thank you for the info on pressure treatment chemicals.

9. BunnyLuvNae on November 7, 2021 at 11:21 am

can anyone give me examples of the 20 percent materials needed? like what sort of draining materials

10. Mark Leigh on November 7, 2021 at 11:21 am

Ah great video Iโ€™ve been wanting to just wood for a more permanent raised bed but always worried about treated wood. But Iโ€™ll have a look if I can find what youโ€™ve used ๐Ÿ˜ฌ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿป

11. Prototype Person on November 7, 2021 at 11:23 am

Youโ€™ve convinced me that itโ€™s okay to use treated timber, but where did you source yours? Is it from a UK chain and if so, which one?

12. Gone Potty Gardening on November 7, 2021 at 11:27 am

The raised beds look fantastic I’m sure you will get some great crops, look forward to watching their progress ๐ŸŒผ

13. dawn hansen on November 7, 2021 at 11:27 am

Is there no natural flatworm predator? I have never heard of faltworms before, difficult and interesting problem. Seems they are a real environmental problem. I like the use of manure. Does manure repel, resist, make the environment uninhabitable for the faltworms? Have you heard of ordering earthworms, and "farming" them? I have not done it, but I do not think it takes a lot of space, or long the worms multiply. Just a thought, not sure it would help you to do it after your explanation of flatworm staying dormant until earthworms recover.

14. Jannax on November 7, 2021 at 11:28 am

I’m with my raised beds near trees. Every autumn I go digging in them for the little tree roots and take them out. Then I apply compost and manure and yes they come back in spring/summer for the water etc…..

15. Salo Kin on November 7, 2021 at 11:29 am

Great video, love your channel. We just did a similar project in our garden and now have 13 raised beds. Then the question was, what shall we put in them? I go out every morning and stare at them in the hope that my seeds will come up quicker!! So far the beans are winning but the carrots and potatoes are very slow. My wife (the other half of this raised bed team) says I am impatient.

16. India Davenport on November 7, 2021 at 11:31 am

Hi there, thanks for this really informative video. I expect a year later during the Covid Pandemic youโ€™re especially appreciative of all your home grown produce ๐Ÿ™‚
    Can I ask two questions please – firstly, how are you getting on a year later with the roots? We have to place our beds in a corner plot with pretty wild / thuggish shrubs and weeds inc brambles on the other side or our boundary. Has the landscaping fabric been sufficient in suppressing them?
    Also, in terms of the soil mix, I keep reading that you shouldnโ€™t use any compost if planting carrots as it makes them fork/split. But how does this work with a) the best regarded mix you mention of top soil, compost and aerated product and b) crop rotation? i.e. if you want to plant carrots in a bed that you were previously growing something else in, so it had compost, but then you wanted to plant carrots? Apparently carrots should be in soil that hasnโ€™t had any compost for at least a year.
    Iโ€™d be very interested in your thoughts on this and also if youโ€™ve grown carrots successfully in your bed soil which has plenty of compost in it. Many thanks and Iโ€™m finding your YT channel and website incredibly helpful and inspiring ๐Ÿ‘

17. Mary Martinez on November 7, 2021 at 11:32 am

We are also putting in raised beds very soon. Although it is snowing today in Chicago…..

18. Steph Rager on November 7, 2021 at 11:35 am

It’s looking good! I have a lot of the same issues here with the slop, erosion, and tree and bush roots everywhere even popping out of the soil in some places. I do have a few beds already done at the most level spot I could find. They are hugel inspired raised beds so I dug about a foot down. Hate to say but I chopped some little roots off along the way. Then filled them with logs, sticks and all that stuff. Then I put the boarder up at ground level and filled with composted horse manure and other organic matter. Unfortunately, this is only a prime growing space during fall and winter. I’ve been using pots during the spring and summer months and a very limited flat ground space. It’s just so many pots and really limits what I can grow, not to mention everything needs to be watered more often. I think I will do a raised bed sort of style or at least a boarder. Maybe make the border work with the landscape and curve around instead of the square/rectangular boxes. Thanks for sharing. Excited to see color popping from your garden soon.

19. Allotment UK on November 7, 2021 at 11:35 am

I found your upload very good and informative and generally in parallel to my thought process when I went raised beds on my allotment. I have 12No at present 12′ 0" x 4′ 0" (these are standard length of timber) I am on a sloping site. I have trees and blackthorn hedges root go underneath the beds but not up. Raised beds are quick draining so the water the trees and hedges take does not seem to affect my regime. Thankfully no flatworms. I think you are spot on with the choice and size of lumber. Take care Mike.

20. Paul Noble on November 7, 2021 at 11:35 am

cool video, we put in some raised beds to protect against rabbit damage and to start reclaiming a hillside, so it was dug into the slope – this in itself was a challenge as what seemed high on one side was really low on the other. We created a ‘skirt’ of landscape fabric and then layered the internal with thick card and compost to start in.

video editing comment – it seems that this vid had the music volume much higher than your dialogue, other than that it was good! thanks!

21. hallieshouse13 on November 7, 2021 at 11:35 am

I’m having trouble finding your blog about these raised beds. Where can I find it?. They look great!!

22. Hawk270 Leadflinger on November 7, 2021 at 11:36 am

Beautiful gardener! Enjoy the knowledge shared. ๐Ÿฅฐ

23. Buzzy Anderson on November 7, 2021 at 11:37 am

What is โ€œno dig?โ€

24. richard sylvester on November 7, 2021 at 11:37 am

Hello how much would you say each of your raised beds was?

25. Ice Castles on November 7, 2021 at 11:37 am

I was going to do the wood raised bed as well but I realized the wood will rot eventually . Luckily, I found some on Amazon that are rot resistant and made of a very good quality plastic. NuVue product The photo doesn’t do it justice and a good tough quality Plastic product. I do love the natural look of the wood though. I wish for you great success in yours.

26. Backyard Gardening on Vancouver Island on November 7, 2021 at 11:37 am

I love the cat prints in the beds… my worst pest gardening.

27. Tirtzah-ืชืจืฆื” on November 7, 2021 at 11:38 am

I love how they look. Not to mention that they will be higher and easier to reach and keep the weeds out. I am going to show this to my husband.

28. barb smyth on November 7, 2021 at 11:38 am

wow…how absolutely lovely…they have transformed the whole yard into an oasis of fun…we go into a project like this with nothing but happy thoughts and you will deal with the occasional pesky root or bug that pays a visit…but, that will be minuscule compared to the abundance of veg you’ll have at your fingertips…and the roses are looking good…josh did a great job and could have his own YouTube site to teach us how to put it all together…ha ha ha

29. Donald Urquhart on November 7, 2021 at 11:38 am

Love the way you shaved your head, grew a beard and tattooed your arms to build your beds.

30. Wall 2 Table on November 7, 2021 at 11:39 am

Looks great ๐Ÿ˜

31. Diane Irvine on November 7, 2021 at 11:39 am

I live in New Zealand and have never seen that worm, my dad is a great gardener we lived in north island until I was ten years old and used to be in the garden with him. And I have been a gardener myself for thirty seven years in the bottom of the South Island and still never seen that worm.Was wondering has anyone in NZ seen this worm? Is it found in normal gardens?

32. Brandon Clay on November 7, 2021 at 11:44 am

music so loud X.X

33. Scottd5547 on November 7, 2021 at 11:46 am

Those are very nice beds! Can’t wait to see what you grow in them.

34. Rob Sambosky on November 7, 2021 at 11:47 am

Music is way too loud

35. Back40 Bandit on November 7, 2021 at 11:49 am

Those are some Lovely Greens you have there.

36. Victor Whaley on November 7, 2021 at 11:49 am

Much information to consider with very helpful tips. Thanks much, and nice speaking tempo made it easy to follow!

37. 2021 on November 7, 2021 at 11:50 am

Are you Irish?
    Do you have a video on keeping rabbits & deer from ruining a new garden?

38. Libby Armstrong on November 7, 2021 at 11:52 am

Every time you bring up the NZ flatworm as a New Zealander I feel so guilty! Your new raised beds look beautiful! Canโ€™t wait to see the progress.

39. Allotmental on November 7, 2021 at 11:53 am

They look great, I’m sure you’ll get great crops from them ๐Ÿ™‚

40. toordog on November 7, 2021 at 11:54 am

The one thing that will help the bed last, add side supports half way down the long ends.

And also char the wood and it will repel more water over time.

Great information!

41. Meduri Madhava Krishna on November 7, 2021 at 11:54 am

Is this wood available in USA? If yes, please point to a store website.

42. Megan Watson on November 7, 2021 at 11:55 am

All those roots you mention are going to make their way into your raised beds anyway.

43. El mensaje Divino on November 7, 2021 at 11:55 am

๐Ÿ’•๐ŸŒต๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ˜˜๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ•Š๐Ÿ’Œ๐Ÿ’•

44. the only garden goddess 2020 on November 7, 2021 at 11:56 am

Hi Tanya,
    I garden in the Pacific Northwest and have had problems over the years with redwood roots getting into my
    Vegetable beds. After about 2 years the beds would be difficult to get a shovel into due to the wire like
    Fine roots which can travel more than 50 ft from the base of the tree looking for water and nutrients.
    I have raised my beds on pallets with fabric cloth weed barrier under the bed, so far this has worked,
    A neighbor uses pond liner which after a few years has worked for her. I hope your neighboring roots arenโ€™t
    as invasive as redwoods! Good luck!

45. Steel-City-Lad on November 7, 2021 at 12:01 pm

How tall are your vegetable beds?

46. Derek Price on November 7, 2021 at 12:01 pm

I’ve just watched your video. I’ve found your video to be very informative and well presented. Your choice of wood and why you decided on it was a first for me and I shall look at improving my own set up. Thank you. Well done.

47. Sam Walker on November 7, 2021 at 12:01 pm

48. Aaron Singh on November 7, 2021 at 12:04 pm

What size timbers are used in this video?

49. Harbour Dog on November 7, 2021 at 12:06 pm

What is a ‘no dig bed’? I have to build some combination raised beds/cold frames, using some windows I salvaged from a hundred year old house down the road which they were tearing down. One video I watched mentioned that if you are using old windows, give the frames a couple of coats of latex paint, in case the paint on them contains lead. Good idea, it would never have occurred to me.

50. Tractor Hyatt on November 7, 2021 at 12:06 pm

Raised garden beds look great! Hate to hear about the earth worms. Look forward to your next video! Thanks!