Planning a Garden – Market Gardening

Planning a Garden – Market Gardening

The first step of any growing season is coming up with a plan, ordering seeds and organizing your garden. Today we take that first step and start planning for a day long and far away, when what we do today comes to fruition.

Please comment, subscribe and share!

Become a supporter on Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/ourwyominglife

Facebook https://www.facebook.com/OurWyomingLife/
Twitter https://twitter.com/OurWyomingLife
YouTube https://www.youtube.com/c/ourwyominglife
Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/OurWyomingLife/
Website https://ourwyominglife.com/

Business Inquiries: For sponsorship requests or business opportunities please contact us directly:
ourwylife@gmail.com

Our Wyoming Life
PO Box 667
Gillette WY 82717

Join us on our journey as we leave a life in corporate america to come back to Wyoming and help on the family ranch.

Our Wyoming Life features our Wyoming ranch and our ranch family. Giving you a look into the workings of ranching from raising cattle to raising and harvesting crops. Erin will join you weekly out of the garden, showing you how she helps provide for our family through growing produce and selling at local farmers markets, and Mike will take you along as he tends to the animals and land of ranch, from calving to fencing to planting and harvesting hay.

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-
Please watch: “Calving and Technology on the Ranch”

-~-~~-~~~-~~-~-

1. Jack Sak on November 7, 2021 at 10:52 am

This brings back memories from the 1940’s on a New England dairy farm where my Grandmother had two large vegetable gardens outside the farmhouse. That was such a great place to be as a kid, and your place seems the same. But, what you do must be so much more scientifically oriented.

2. Thomas Westgard on November 7, 2021 at 10:55 am

Great, detailed information. Thanks for sharing this.

3. Martin Spijker on November 7, 2021 at 10:57 am

. i grow cherrytomato sungold every year.. thats the best tasting cherry there is..:)

4. aarrkk6 on November 7, 2021 at 10:57 am

Hi Erin! Great, informative vlog! Quick question (that may be difficult to answer)……. We have no farmers market anywhere around us in rural west Texas, but my husband loves his garden and loves to share his produce with friends and family. We’ve always purchased seed via the little packets at the big box store, but we think it is time to, like you, purchase from a bigger variety and in small bulk quantities. Since we are a much smaller scale than you and we absorb ALL the cost, I don’t want to purchase seed from multiple different companies, but rather, just one (to save on shipping and my time in choosing and ordering). If you can, (told ya this might be difficult haha), will you give me the name of the ONE seed company you would suggest/recommend to us please? I would greatly appreciate your input! Thanks in advance and keep these excellent vlogs coming!!!!

5. Brian Hubbard on November 7, 2021 at 10:58 am

I love fresh produce.
    My garden is much smaller and I travel allot in my RV so I stick with the basic.
    Good luck with the green thumb this year.
    God bless.

6. G Koplitz on November 7, 2021 at 10:59 am

Dutch were known as carrot farmers," Stepahin continued. "You could get their carrots in white or yellow or purple. Then in the 17th century a breed of carrot was developed that had a lot of beta-Carotene and was orange. And the Dutch started growing this in great abundance in tribute to William of Orange to such a degree that almost all other forms of carrot had gone out of mass agricultural production…in this very roundabout way our carrots are orange because our oranges are orange, and they’ve been that way for political reasons."

7. David Harris on November 7, 2021 at 11:03 am

No potato’s?

8. Rich Peterson on November 7, 2021 at 11:03 am

Hi Erin, say check out the YouTube video of the "Quick Cut Greens Harvester". It is new on the market. I think it’ll save you and me from back akes. I’m thinking about ordering one NOW before they get backlogged. Think spring 🤠

9. mwmwmwmwmmdw on November 7, 2021 at 11:05 am

i know its impractical to actually do but in theory could you grow crops year round if the high tunnel was fully heated?

10. Jack Sak on November 7, 2021 at 11:10 am

QUESTION: Do you grow any perennials? I’m guessing, "no", but thanks for the video.

11. nashguy207 on November 7, 2021 at 11:11 am

Yep you guys are going to be busy with calving season and the new high tunnel construction and garden. Enjoyed the video my wife and I gardened for years when she had time. We would always start seeds in the basement under grow lights. Wer didn’t seed everything as you do we would by plants for tomatoes cucumbers and a couple of others things but our garden wasn’t as ;large as yours. The outer boundary all away around was her perennial Garden we would plant marigolds and sunflowers in the vegetable area. We grow zinnias and other flowers on our deck in pots to watch the finches hummingbirds and other birds from our kitchen window in the summer we would grow bush style green beans and always had great luck with them sorry they don’t do well for you. Looking forward to seeing the garden grow. We still plants a couple of Husky cherry tomatoes and a couple of pepper plants and regular tomato plants in pots on our deck to enjoy. Have a great weekend and God Bless!!!

12. Jacob Galipeau on November 7, 2021 at 11:12 am

Do you grow radishes?

13. Calum Anderson on November 7, 2021 at 11:13 am

Sorry to add to the question’s you answer to Erin but are going to expand your out door garden in the near future? also do grow potatoes, parsnips, turnips too? Can’t wait for your next cooking video mainly because I’d managed to set my sister’s Chinese wok pan on fire while cooking sausages because I was to lazy to clean the skillet.

14. Angela Bennett on November 7, 2021 at 11:19 am

Fantastic video! Makes me look forward to gardening season here in Ohio! I’ve never planned out my garden beforehand, but I will try it this year. I get most of my seeds from Baker Creek. Do you stagger your plantings so that your crops come up at different times?

15. Jerry Coon on November 7, 2021 at 11:20 am

Mmmm! I LOVE beets! I would think for you, beets would be a double whammy because you can sell the beets and the greens, or do you leave the greens attached? I don’t usually get any beet greens because the deer "beet" me to them. LOL! Great vid! Thanks for sharing! You have almost doubled your subs in the last month and a half… YAY!!!

16. R bar 3 Rob3rtson on November 7, 2021 at 11:20 am

Great Video👍🌻🌽🥕🍅

17. Norman Christin on November 7, 2021 at 11:22 am

Erin, how has your winter growing in the high tunnel went? I have not seen much more mentioned since December.

18. leo l on November 7, 2021 at 11:22 am

Love the video on garden . thanks .

19. Welf Bölke on November 7, 2021 at 11:23 am

Thank you for sharing all the ideas. I love all your videos Thanks

20. Caidyn Meyer on November 7, 2021 at 11:24 am

Hey guys I love your show its so good thanks for your help and business and videos

21. Tom Mathews on November 7, 2021 at 11:24 am

Great video Erin! Have you experimented with any pelleted seed? I’ve struggled with the very fine seeds, like carrots and lettuces, for years! Just seeing the size of your order made me shutter! 🙂 I’ve had good luck with the pelleted carrot seed from Johnny’s and it’s a breeze to plant and space correctly. I’m really able to get the spacing right for the first time and could even use my mechanical seeder if I needed to (Hoss seeder attachment for my double wheel hoe.) No more thinning (which I never could get right anyway!) and the carrots seem to grow faster and bigger, not being crowded so bad. Green beans huh…….sounds like I need to start smuggling green beans to Wyoming! We’re covered up with them in Alabama. They like really warm soil and weather. When are you planting them? Maybe try a small patch planted later or even in the high tunnel. Just a thought!

22. Mike Nicholson on November 7, 2021 at 11:26 am

You guys are to busy great video. I tried the beds last year in my garden still fought weeds this year I am going to closed in raised this year. My garden isn’t as big but trying something new.You guys are great to watch.

23. Theresa Petekiewicz on November 7, 2021 at 11:26 am

Have you ever thought of a third High tunnel? Too bad you can’t put a little sprinkler system in your high tunnel.

24. Manuel Otte on November 7, 2021 at 11:28 am

If you plan on planting Tropaeolum, then it might be interesting to know that they also work as a pest trap, meaning the leaves will be insect eaten and your neighbor crops will have less of them. So a row inbetween other crops might be worth it

25. Deb Carpenter on November 7, 2021 at 11:29 am

Wow! I can’t believe the purple carrots aren’t a big seller…yet! They are my absolute favorite eating carrot. Adding them to Chicken Noodle Soup makes the color kinda blackish. Almost to sweet, but I have no problem consuming It! Just got my seeds from Gurney’s. Can’t wait for the soil to warm! Have a good weekend

26. David Middlebrooks on November 7, 2021 at 11:29 am

Erin, you are AWESOME and a great complement to and for Mike. God bless you both in the new year/season, may the rains fall, the grass grow, and the herd be healthy! A’men.

27. Ben F on November 7, 2021 at 11:30 am

We switched to beds this year as well 😀

28. Brent and Natasha Derksen on November 7, 2021 at 11:31 am

You got the itch, so do I. I planted 4 tomato seeds a week ago just to watch something grow.

29. Cam 86 on November 7, 2021 at 11:33 am

Not a big fan of beets don’t eat them. 🙂 …. … great videos 🙂

30. joel mollenkopf on November 7, 2021 at 11:34 am

Very interesting like all your guys videos!

31. joe conforti on November 7, 2021 at 11:34 am

Erin amazing video. We run a 175 acre csa farm here in western Pennsylvania. Check us out on Facebook. Conforti family farm. That goes for anyone wanting to see a little bit of what we do. Also for those that don’t know what CSA is it stands for “ community sharing agriculture “ . Enjoy and have a blessed day.

32. tammy sarrazin on November 7, 2021 at 11:35 am

i love beets any kind of beets they are the best veggies in my opinion lol hugsssss from Ontario Canada

33. nebraska farmer on November 7, 2021 at 11:35 am

I think your cherry tomato idea is a winner. Sam’s Club sells a 2# basket of mixed cherry tomatoes and it’s a hit with me!

34. Raymond Teska on November 7, 2021 at 11:36 am

Flowers = Honeybee’s may want to think about that ——- Mike would love that job

35. Brooke Ouzts on November 7, 2021 at 11:36 am

Mvseeds.com is a great website for bulk. They are out of northern Utah, closer to our climate.

36. Bargain Boondocker on November 7, 2021 at 11:38 am

I hope your "Operation Market Garden" is a bigger success than Montgomery’s was in WWII. A little joke from a history nerd.
    We love the videos you guys put out and look forward to each one.

37. kingpinkcleetheworm on November 7, 2021 at 11:38 am

I’m so glad I found this channel

38. suffolkshepherd on November 7, 2021 at 11:39 am

Good video. Enjoyed it. Sounds like you have plenty of seed companies, but if you get a chance, try Victory Seeds. Started using them last year. Now it is my go too. Still using gurneys too but secondary.

39. Portugee Prepper on November 7, 2021 at 11:40 am

Thanks for the reality check, I guess I need to plant my tomatoes and pepper plants this week under the lights. Nice info!! Great job!!!

40. What Now on November 7, 2021 at 11:41 am

All this work … do you make a profit? I know its a lot of work and i know vegetables don’t cost much

41. norhilltx on November 7, 2021 at 11:42 am

I’m new to market gardening and this was helpful for me. I struggle with context and scale a lot, so laying it out as you did makes it easier for me to visulize the area I have to work with. Thanks.

42. David Robertson on November 7, 2021 at 11:42 am

You can eat beat tops. They are like spinach but do not cook down like spinach

43. Italian Troutaholic on November 7, 2021 at 11:42 am

with all that land and cow dung
    ever think about raising worms?????

44. Theresa Petekiewicz on November 7, 2021 at 11:44 am

Wish I was closer so I could try your produce!

45. joel mollenkopf on November 7, 2021 at 11:45 am

Question how do you handle snakes~any poisonous ones out there?

46. Mary Had A Little Farm on November 7, 2021 at 11:45 am

Great video! Thanks Erin, very helpful info for somebody considering starting a “market garden”. Answered some questions I was kicking around. Have a great day!

47. Brandan A. Mantei on November 7, 2021 at 11:46 am

what type of predators (coyotes, bears ect.) do you deal with coming onto your ranch, what are your preventive measures you’ve had to do, with having little kids playing outside.? thanks!

48. Luke Mcneil on November 7, 2021 at 11:50 am

Can y’all do a video on yawls horses

49. Mike Bettencourt on November 7, 2021 at 11:50 am

Can you ship produce to Calif.?

50. Angelo Modolo on November 7, 2021 at 11:51 am

Very specific and valuable informations! Keep it up guys and have a good day!