DIY Raised Garden Bed With Cement Board! No Wood

DIY Raised Garden Bed With Cement Board! No Wood

How to build an easy concrete raised garden bed for about $60. Use My exclusive link here https://cen.yt/TradeHaxman to get your first bag from Trade Coffee for free. I have been looking for a cheap and easy way to make concrete raised garden beds that have an English garden cottage look. I’ve never seen anyone use cement backer board before so I gave it a shot and it worked amazing! If you only make one planter the cost is about $80 but that is because the Quikrete concrete mix is about $25. However one bag of cement will make many raised garden planter beds. That brings the cost to about $60 per planter. 👍 SUBSCRIBE: https://bit.ly/2Iy7PK3

Get My Guides on Retrieve: https://haxman.retrieve.com/store/#/

Installing A No Dig Privacy Fence Crazy Fast! https://youtu.be/Gvq8foHcK18

DIY Projects For The Backyard

A DIY SMOKELESS Fire Pit That Actually Works! https://youtu.be/qyjxklycfJ4

Does This Landscaping Hack Work? DIY Faux Stone Edging https://youtu.be/3G4gH4ncFcU

Building Raised Garden Beds

I hope to inspire you to create your own projects at home after watching my videos. In everything from DIY home renovation projects to outdoor projects or just fun DIY projects that help us become more self-sufficient, I hope to show you how with a little ingenuity you can make stuff at home too.

1. William Crim on November 9, 2021 at 10:59 am

Funny and informative

2. Lucy Ayoub on November 9, 2021 at 10:59 am

Any chemicals in the bonding agents?

3. Louis EVAD on November 9, 2021 at 11:01 am

I’m out. I got no tractor

4. ceoRestAssured on November 9, 2021 at 11:02 am

The moment you realize you’ve just binge watched all Haxmans videos 😭

5. Hope Up on November 9, 2021 at 11:03 am

I have a friend that did these in her garden, they did look to start to crack at edges over time. I will ask her more about it after seeing this.

6. michele barnes on November 9, 2021 at 11:04 am

Great idea, love the carriage bolts😍

7. Dyanne Johnson on November 9, 2021 at 11:06 am

Boy do I like that idea

8. JungoJerry on November 9, 2021 at 11:06 am

Nice video, but after the first "L" brkt screw failed – I would have moved on to some other idea.

9. DutchAussieProductions on November 9, 2021 at 11:08 am

Thanks for the video. A lot of work, but they turned out well. They will also last a lifetime. Have a nice day.

10. John Jude on November 9, 2021 at 11:08 am

Wait till after a or a few winter freezing seasons before telling me I want it.
    Sorry I’m waiting for the review after the ground expends from freezing and thaw but in California and Hawaii it might work but Ohio I don’t think.
    Thanks for showing

11. Carolyn Burelbach on November 9, 2021 at 11:10 am

You have to be careful what you use for vegetable raised beds. It would be okay for flowers, but I wouldn’t use it for vegetable beds ever.

12. Randy Steinman on November 9, 2021 at 11:10 am

Baste the exterior in buttermilk. It’ll attract dirt and foster moss growth for a real old look

13. Annie Clore on November 9, 2021 at 11:11 am

I love the carriage bolts

14. Eduardo Tenorio on November 9, 2021 at 11:11 am

Hum… Use wood or bricks.

15. drjohnson98 on November 9, 2021 at 11:13 am

Nifty idea. I agree on the flimsiness aspect. I was just working with Hardie Plank for the first time and was surprised at how easily it shattered when I dropped a piece from only about 3 feet. If the gardener is careful while spading the soil it should be ok. Laminating (or using thicker pieces) should help a lot with the flimsiness/brittleness And it should definitely outlast wood.

16. Dyanne Johnson on November 9, 2021 at 11:17 am

Oh my goodness

17. Rich Dobbs on November 9, 2021 at 11:18 am

My suggestion: Use the cement board closer to how it is used for tile. Drive Cedar or pressure treated 2x4s into the ground and then attach cement board inside the lumber with screws, and then fill with dirt. The screws will eventually fail, but the soil will hold things in place still. Even if the boxes eventually fall apart, you can just rebuild them by piling up the dirt toward the center and rebuilding. The cement board will still be holding together, and you might be able to reuse some of the 2×4 posts.

18. Wendy Carrera on November 9, 2021 at 11:19 am

Can you put the supplies you use names and were you got them. Thank you. Really love it. I gonna give it a try when you put the supplies. Thank you

19. Ryan Kahlor on November 9, 2021 at 11:19 am

20. Noreen Reasor on November 9, 2021 at 11:19 am

I would have used the bond caulking stuff doing corner brackets.

21. Anthony Wallace on November 9, 2021 at 11:19 am

Sandwiching wood or vinyl between your boards would address a lot of your difficulties. Either plywood or 1x2s to keep the weight down.

22. Julie Tengel on November 9, 2021 at 11:19 am

That looks like a great planter box and the price is right now that wood has gotten so expensive. I don’t understand though why you covered the boards with concrete! Was it to add stability or to make it look nicer?

23. Phillip Owens on November 9, 2021 at 11:22 am

I did some similar except I cut strips of plywood ,and then coated them with concrete.

24. billbucktube on November 9, 2021 at 11:23 am

I had to make a LOT of cuts in cement board and tried a utility knife, couldn’t afford the pile of blades. Tried carbide coated blades, same cost for fewer blades. Used a diamond circular saw blade, silicosis lung killing dust and set my lawn on fire from the sparks. Found a short video using a floor tile scoring knife, worked great, no dust, no fire. https://youtu.be/NkxwaQotAXg

25. DIY TWOinCollege on November 9, 2021 at 11:26 am

Could it leach anything into the soil?

26. Steve Tincup on November 9, 2021 at 11:26 am

I love the "one legged man in a butt kicking contest"

27. Wood Stream on November 9, 2021 at 11:28 am

Trade coffee is getting their money’s worth with you. So many channels get a sponsor and "phone it in" like they don’t give a hoot.

28. Kelly Williams on November 9, 2021 at 11:29 am

Awesome, coffee drinker and good info ☕👊 much abliged

29. Jesse Palmer on November 9, 2021 at 11:30 am

I love your style. Thank you for your experimenting.

30. Jim Baranski on November 9, 2021 at 11:30 am

If you’re going to bond two halves of a panel together, don’t both scoring both sides, leave them connected. I expect the factory edges to be stronger, so make them be the top edge. Use U shaped fence posts on the outside of the corners to hold the corners on. The dirt on the inside will keep the corners pushed out.

31. Dave Engstrom on November 9, 2021 at 11:32 am

Cement board required special screws due to the alkaline. Regular screws will rust through in a very short time. The special screws are very hard and are usually green.

32. Barbara Mix on November 9, 2021 at 11:40 am

The bolts and washers sort of look like a flower. You could paint them to look like a black eyed susan flower. Then they would be decorative.

33. Cabin on the lake on November 9, 2021 at 11:40 am

That will wick water, it is NOT water resistant. Maybe last a couple of years.

34. Rich Dobbs on November 9, 2021 at 11:40 am

Your first spoiler alert got you a thumbs up from me!

35. Jacob E on November 9, 2021 at 11:43 am

I did this about three years ago, and the weight of the dirt has caused some to break and over spill, but its still usable even so….

36. mhill123zx on November 9, 2021 at 11:43 am

Make the carrige head bolt look like a flower

37. Peter Kizer on November 9, 2021 at 11:44 am

Ok, carriage bolts (and torque washers), fine – tho I would use hex bolts and nuts (who’s going to notice the difference?). But why cover the cement board with cement? Just aesthetics? All that said, I love the idea of cement board, since next spring/summer I have a major raised-bed garden planned for our new house. As much as I dearly love wood, it just doesn’t last outside/in contact with ground ( and I refuse to use pre-treated wood).

38. Ольга Аврора on November 9, 2021 at 11:44 am

Мы делаем все намного проще,просто заливаем отмостку цементным раствором

39. KzukiOdenTheChad on November 9, 2021 at 11:44 am

I can’t even imagine the amount of toxins and chemicals that would leak from that stuff into the dirt which would then leak into the berry’s during growth

40. Ingrid Malik-Connor on November 9, 2021 at 11:47 am

I like your disclaimer

41. Nathan wood on November 9, 2021 at 11:47 am

How much denero is donated to your channel when you mention certain mentionables ? I’d like to start my own channel. But would need a few ins and outs. If ya could

42. Martha Hicks on November 9, 2021 at 11:47 am

Great humor

43. Pat and Sandy Trierweiler on November 9, 2021 at 11:48 am

Ha ha! Loved that coffee commercial …score! As far as using cement board …(my opinion) you would save money and get a better outcome by making forms and producing your own outdoor cement product (with metal reinforcement??)

44. Mr. Make It on November 9, 2021 at 11:49 am

Great job. I use that board my solar applications like battery component’s that shield plywood backing that could catch fire. So many uses.

45. Lynn Betts on November 9, 2021 at 11:50 am

To give the aged look to concrete, slather yogurt or buttermilk on them and cover with a tarp for a few weeks. It has to be organic with live cultures.

46. Melanie Allen on November 9, 2021 at 11:53 am

nice!!!

47. Thor on November 9, 2021 at 11:53 am

Why not use Cement Siding board?

48. David Burke on November 9, 2021 at 11:54 am

I would not have hammered the washers. I let the pressure of tightening bolt set washer into material. the vibration of hammer degrades material. In some cases I take c clamp and torque washer into material the hammer marks don’t look good after the washers are painted. thanks for the material idea for my city yard pumpkin garden.

49. Sexton Blake on November 9, 2021 at 11:55 am

Sorry old chap, but Captain Obvious could have told you before you started that self tappers in cement……. not a chance. Carriage bolts, if marine grade from some place like West Marine – way to go.

50. Shana Ford on November 9, 2021 at 11:55 am

Yes! We used this in our beds this year. Built 2 big beds and framed them with 2 X 4s. They’re amazing! I was doubtful at first but they did great. And they seep lime into the soil so they’re good for growing tomatoes.