What to Plant in June- Zone 6 Vegetable Garden

What to Plant in June- Zone 6 Vegetable Garden

Curious what to plant in June in the vegetable, herb and annual flower garden? Check out what I’m planting this month in my Zone 6a, Ohio garden!
There is still plenty of time to plant in June!

What to Plant in June, Zone 6:

Transplant
• Tomatoes & tomatillos
• Peppers
• Eggplant
June- Any time:
Direct Sow Outdoors
• Beans- bush, pole, lima, edamame, shell
• Cowpeas, Southern peas
• Direct sown flowers like Wildflower mixes, cosmos, nasturtium, morning glories, borage, amaranthus
• Cover crops- buckwheat, sunflowers, cowpeas, sorghum sudangrass, Sunn hemp

01:08 Consider your Typical Summer Weather
01:58 Early June- Direct Sow and/or Transplant
02:37 Early to Mid June- Transplant
02:53 June Anytime- Direct Sow and/or Transplant

#zone6gardening #ohiogardening

1. Cathy Cooley on November 15, 2021 at 11:25 am

So happy my husband found your channel. He’s been looking for an Ohio/Zone 5/6 channel. We are in zone 6A/5B (extreme NW Ohio) The line between 6A and 5B literally goes about a mile west of our house – LOL Love your videos and will be following faithfully. BTW – love your hat! Mind sharing where you got it???
    I have 2 – 4×8 raised beds in a local community garden where we are growing "historical" seed varieties. I have 2 – 2×6 elevated beds in my backyard where I am growing peas, carrots, onions, okra, scarlet runner beans and trying to grow beets but only one germinated 🙂 I grow tomatoes and peppers in tubs.

2. Back To Earth on November 15, 2021 at 11:25 am

Great information ma’am ❤️ Thank you so much👍🙏❣️ From India 😁

3. Darren Fullmer on November 15, 2021 at 11:28 am

Planting weeds in the trash can

4. TJtheHAWK on November 15, 2021 at 11:29 am

Hi Jenna, I might have missed it but what about another round of regular potatoes? Would those grow a good crop if started now?

5. Nicolas Derome on November 15, 2021 at 11:29 am

I live in Southern Ontario, I think we’re about zone 6a-6b. I planted some radishes on June 1st that I’m harvesting now. The Garden Giant radishes just went to seed and got pithy with minimal root development, but the French Breakfast radishes are just as good as they were a month ago, maybe even better (our first crop of radishes wasn’t as good because late April/early May was quite cool so they took longer than ideal to mature).

6. Betty 1966 on November 15, 2021 at 11:29 am

Take in to consideration how much sun your garden gets. My garden doesn’t get all day sun. My garden grows slower than it should.

7. Jules Small Space Gardening on November 15, 2021 at 11:32 am

Well Riding in a car here. Can’t get the thing to play through. Will try later. Happy weekend.

8. Bruce Anable on November 15, 2021 at 11:33 am

I live in zone five, probably not much of a difference in zone six. What method of seed starting do you like the best, jiffy Peat pellets, bio sponges, or seed starting mix.

9. Gary Gorman on November 15, 2021 at 11:34 am

Just what I needed to know! Thanks Jenna!

10. Ranjith, niyal, electrician, ☢️ on November 15, 2021 at 11:35 am

🌱🌿☘️🍀🌵🌴🌳🌲🏞️🍉🌽🥦🥒🥬🥑🥕🍠🧅

11. Three Owls on November 15, 2021 at 11:36 am

While you’re growing so are your subs. Awesome 😎. I planted sweet potatoes and a opening in the fence allowed the rabbits to feast 😮🙄

12. June Combs on November 15, 2021 at 11:36 am

thank you Jenna! I really appreciate it when you announce your zone and tell me what kind of plant you like in a veggie?

13. Wilma on November 15, 2021 at 11:39 am

Thank you so much for your information packed video including what to plant, your zone and your last frost date. That was very helpful..

14. Ranjith, niyal, electrician, ☢️ on November 15, 2021 at 11:39 am

Please call number

15. Blue passion rose on November 15, 2021 at 11:40 am

Being in Ohio myself I planted sweet cherry 100 tomato’s, early girl hybrid tomato’s, jalapeños, bell peppers, banana peppers, cucumbers, squash, strawberries all those transplanted the first day of June along with direct sowing cantaloupe, and green beans!

16. Ranjith, niyal, electrician, ☢️ on November 15, 2021 at 11:40 am

🤙🤙🤙🤙💋💋💋

17. Benjamin B on November 15, 2021 at 11:41 am

I just dug my Purple Majesty potatoes and freed up some space in my garden. I had just received some Wild Violet sweet corn seeds after seeing them in one of your other videos, but I was thinking it was too late for this year. I’m in 6B.

18. Paradoxically Synergistic on November 15, 2021 at 11:44 am

Im having to baby my younglings, it’s 99° F today.
    It’s supposed to be 100° all week plus drought and giant timber/desert mosquito’s makes it a labor of love for sure.
    You are knowledgeable and organized in your garden
    ✌😏👍

19. Jaceland Adventures on November 15, 2021 at 11:44 am

20. Todd Petro on November 15, 2021 at 11:45 am

Thanks I am in zone 5 Indiana midway has been very dry here got .5 inches of rain on Friday

21. ludlow falls on November 15, 2021 at 11:46 am

I’m in zone 6A in Missouri. I have space to plant some black beans..I would love to plant sweet potatoe slips…if i could find some.

22. Alyssa on November 15, 2021 at 11:46 am

Love the monthly planting for zone 6!!!

23. Jill Riffe on November 15, 2021 at 11:49 am

Thanks Jenna! My small garden is booming along with vegetables in mineral tubs. I may have overdone it 😊

24. The Grower on November 15, 2021 at 11:51 am

Beautiful garden. New sub here 🙌🌱👍👍

25. Ranjith, niyal, electrician, ☢️ on November 15, 2021 at 11:51 am

Madam video super,👌👌👌👌👌

26. Ranjith, niyal, electrician, ☢️ on November 15, 2021 at 11:52 am

Hi 🌹

27. TAN on November 15, 2021 at 11:52 am

I’ve been slacking on commenting…Sorry! Been a busy guy lately. Not super impressed with my 1st year new garden. Cabbage, cauliflower, broccoli and some kale are not really doing well. Snow peas are the star of the show so far. 6 lbs a week for 3 weeks. Tomatoes were jamming till deer figured out a way in. Set up trail cams to see where they are getting in. Bush beans and sunflowers got hit too.

28. Good-Times Homestead on November 15, 2021 at 11:55 am

Your garden looks amazing! Happy Gardening

29. Charlie Hoos on November 15, 2021 at 11:56 am

I pulled turnips today to make room for beans. Everything else is in the ground. Ant advice on slow growing pepper plants?

30. Don Birkholz on November 15, 2021 at 11:57 am

Glad to see you grow your own popcorn. Most people do not know that fresh home-grown popcorn is more tender than the year-old stuff you buy in the store.

31. Michael Lippmann on November 15, 2021 at 11:58 am

Great Video…Thank you for taking the time to do it!
    I re-seeded a bunch of Albion Parsnips yesterday. Transplanted a bunch of my collards. Basil, a few pepper plants and some onions all in the last few days.
    Have started harvesting Warba potatoes that I planted I mid March….will use the space I freed up to plant wax beans and bush beans.
    Nice looking garden young lady!
    Have a great day.
    Mike 🇨🇦🍁

32. Chere' Evans on November 15, 2021 at 11:59 am

As always this was an incredibly helpful video for us who are gardening in the same zone as you. Thank you for the timely information. As for what I’m planting… I decided to go ahead and try some cucumbers because my Armenian cucumbers have struggled. It seems to me they’re too cool because I have trouble with a lot of melons also. They just don’t thrive for me yet and I had no trouble with melons when I lived in zone 7. So I went ahead and started some cucumbers in soil blocks and those went into the ground yesterday and more will go in tomorrow. Also some additional cantaloupe and watermelon again from my own seed starts. And another Armenian cucumber on the off chance that maybe their growth was just stunted due to the cool May. I have also put in more bush beans where I pulled out my spinach just last week. And I need to pull out some of my lettuce and put in some more beans there. And I planted a whole bunch of Ohio natives because a nursery here was having a sale and I could get plants for $2 and they were all Ohio natives. So I put in things like echinacea and heliopsis and wild bergamot and lots more. I even found a spot for Jerusalem artichoke. I am so excited about those but I still need to go out and buy some sort of inground barrier so that it doesn’t take over the rest of my yard. LOL

33. John Jude on November 15, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Ohio Lady I am copying some of your gardening
    Thanks

34. Kookii on November 15, 2021 at 12:05 pm

When do you start fall seeds like cabbage again ? I’m in cleveland area.

35. Roger Beaird on November 15, 2021 at 12:05 pm

Hi Jen sHaLoM 🕎🙏 your so pretty today

36. CB's Greenhouse and Garden on November 15, 2021 at 12:06 pm

Amazing information as always Mrs. Jenna. We got hit with Southern Bacterial Wilt and lost a lot of tomato plants. Just not a good year for us! Keep up the awesome work my friend. Stay safe and have a wonderful weekend.

37. Nicolas Bertin on November 15, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I have 40° C sometimes in the summer, and 30°+ is very common now. There are plenty of lettuces that grow in this climate, you need to look towards Spanish, Italian and Southern French varieties. One that’s very heat resistant, is Batavia Maravilla De Verano, it will not bolt even in full sun in summer. On the French side, you have ‘Rougette de Montpellier’, ‘Grosse Blonde Paresseuse’, ‘Chicon des Charentes’. I usually plant them between tomato plants, but seriously, they will even work in full sun. And of course you also have chicories for the summer, like Sucrine, Frisée Pancalière etc… Those are sown in June usually, and harvested in late Summer. The advantage of planting them between tomatoes is that they will not only benefit from the shade, but also from the water you give your tomatoes. I almost never do rows of lettuces.

38. bb truth on November 15, 2021 at 12:09 pm

As another commenter said, so good to see that sub count climbing. Way to stick with it. Living dangerously with those castor beans, very cool looking plant. Here in 4a I just keep shoving stuff in the ground. I do a lot of succession planting too. So dry here, been a bit tough, but I’m a glutton for punishment. Wrong year to expand the garden and add another orchard. I must have about 14000 sq ft of garden to keep watered. My poor well is working over time. Working sun up to sundown. Your garden is looking great. Good work. Take care.

39. Mexicas on November 15, 2021 at 12:14 pm

It does get very hot & humid here just like it does for you. But I did replant my salad cart about a week ago (an elevated bed with radish, lettuce mesclun, long standing spinach, Bibb lettuce, arugula) just to see what I can accomplish under shade with lots of water & mulch. My spring salad cart wasn’t very successful, I didn’t seed as aggressively as I should have & I think there wasn’t enough morning sun on it.

40. Gog Warrior on November 15, 2021 at 12:16 pm

im present ❤❤❤🙏🙏🙏

41. Zinnia Lady on November 15, 2021 at 12:17 pm

😀👍🏻

42. William Aber on November 15, 2021 at 12:21 pm

I want to do a late planting of zucchini this year. I’ve never tried planting it after mid-May, hoping it does well. Thanks for the video.

43. Paradoxically Synergistic on November 15, 2021 at 12:23 pm