With This I Can Grow Food All Year Round

With This I Can Grow Food All Year Round

I can finally grow food here in Michigan in the winter! It was 4 degrees last night and the raised bed never dropped below 35

6 mil clear greenhouse plastic – https://amzn.to/2TsiJZC
Thermocube plug – https://amzn.to/2Uovelu
Wireless Temp Sensors – https://amzn.to/2XNoKhU

.$.99 organic seeds – https://migardener.com/?affiliates=11&coupon_code=SSL10 – use this link for $.10 off!
Get SSL Family Merchandise here – https://teespring.com/stores/ssl-family-general-store

Please check us out at www.sslfamilyfarm.com

Find recommended products on Amazon – https://www.amazon.com/shop/sslfamilydad

and follow us on….

Daily Beetle by Kevin MacLeod is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Source: http://incompetech.com/music/royalty-free/index.html?isrc=USUAN1500025
Artist: http://incompetech.com/

Country Cue 1 by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Artist: http://audionautix.com/

Any links here may be Affiliate links

1. Rob S on November 19, 2021 at 11:54 am

I think you’re going to need lots of fan in that to avoid fungal problems. Boiling water works great for bending pvc. Lastly I’d look into some 4 mil one year poly and put a second layer on main structure then inflate it. You wouldn’t need the small hoop house inside that way. Great vid

2. Nick Popelka on November 19, 2021 at 11:55 am

Not bad looks good !

3. ArtisanBARD on November 19, 2021 at 11:56 am

Wow that’s a great low tunnel idea!

4. Michael K on November 19, 2021 at 11:59 am

Nice job! …. Would love to see all about your heater system works?

5. Guess Again on November 19, 2021 at 11:59 am

I enjoyed the show. The 35°-44° temps don’t make sense. You need a minimum of 53° soil temperature to grow most seeds. I built custom raised beds using reclaimed insulated roof panels and ran a subterranean drain tile pvc pipe along the perimeter, then I ran two 1/2" pex lines through that. My idea is that I can heat the soil directly and use grey water fed into the drain tile pipe and water everything at the roots.

6. SoMDHomestead on November 19, 2021 at 11:59 am

lot or work I hope it works out. Got to keep trying.

7. Faileas Creations on November 19, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Please do a video of how you made the roll up sides.

8. GRITTY BRAND on November 19, 2021 at 12:00 pm

eBay PVC Snap Clamps

9. Joshua Yoder on November 19, 2021 at 12:01 pm

What is that heater plugged into?

10. Francois Pienaar on November 19, 2021 at 12:03 pm

Great job! Keep up the great work!

11. rauelb09 on November 19, 2021 at 12:10 pm

just put a pot belly stove in the middle of the big green house , and have one huge green house , heated off free wood

12. S Jones on November 19, 2021 at 12:12 pm

You are one smart fella. Way to go!!

13. btchpants on November 19, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Very nice!

14. Ty Olson - Cobalt, Ontario adventures! on November 19, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Looks good, I’d put a fan on that post though instead of a baffle. Itll help stabilize the temp all the way through pulling some heat from the side that dries out and moving it to the end it has a harder time getting to. Itll also even out the humidity a lot better. Cool cheap build though, I like the roll up handle, that’s the cats ass!

15. Ricky Fink on November 19, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I know that I’ve seen it advertised that the gray cpvc conduit is UV resistant. It’s not! The sun will bleach it out the first year. BY the second year it will become brittle and shatter just by contact with a string trimmer. Also, the PEX on your heater is definitely not UV resistant and information I’ve read on PEX is, it should not be exposed to sunlight. Chemicals in the PEX will leach into the water, so I don’t know if the water is used for anything other than heating, but I’d definitely put pipe wrap over the PEX!

16. Dwight Rigel on November 19, 2021 at 12:14 pm

I’m concerned the heater will burn the seedlings that are close to it. At least you will be one step closer to a solution. Good luck man!

17. L O F E N O I A L O F on November 19, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Is 6 mil plastic too thick ? It seems like the plants may not get enough direct light to grow properly . Or is there plenty of light photons that permeate this level of plastic ? Thanks so much !

18. Stephen Jones on November 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿 Great job there fella, I love the design 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻. What about your tomatoes though seeming as it is a permanent structure. I’m not criticising you just curious to know your plan as my tomatoes grow to about 7 feet tall lol. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

19. Patrick Wagz on November 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

"Honey, have you seen my hair-dryer? I can’t find it." — SSLFamilyMom
    "Uh, I don’t think so, dear. I’ll keep my eye out for it, though." — SSLFamilyDad

20. Christopher Zorthian on November 19, 2021 at 12:21 pm

do i have to harden my plants off moving them from my greenhouse to outdoors.? the greenhouse i am using 3 mil clear plastic from the home depot

21. Mommy Scribbles on November 19, 2021 at 12:22 pm

How deep are your raised beds for potatoes?

22. Papa LJx on November 19, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Black plastic water tubing is what I used to clamp our plastic to our hoop house. Lots more flexible

23. AnnWith APlan on November 19, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Love It! Subbing. I had a 22’x11′ hoop house some years back in a different location. Would like to do what you did where I am now so I can grow year round. This past year I brought all my potted stuff indoors for the winter and would rather not have to do that.

24. The Wannabe Texas Gardener on November 19, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Very innovative!

25. Ms. Byrd on November 19, 2021 at 12:29 pm

So being in a ‘greenhouse’ isn’t enough? I thought those DIY houses got pretty HOT!

26. Guido Guido on November 19, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Revlon conduit bender.. love it

27. ACORN Homestead on November 19, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I love this channel and the things you do. I can do these things! You show the best way (to also avoid mistakes) to do these types of DIY projects. Thank you!

28. John O'Neill on November 19, 2021 at 12:32 pm

It you fill conduit with sand before bending it for your winding handle you will get a smoother, stronger finish.

29. duck Darkness on November 19, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Looks great what kind of plastic do you use. Love watching you and learning. Thank u, I am also from Michigan live in Morley.

30. Catherine S on November 19, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Great idea! I live in the thumb area & I need to build a greenhouse. & this puts a new idea in my plans. Have a blessed day

31. Jamie T on November 19, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Really great tutorial. Thanks.

32. Jay E on November 19, 2021 at 12:34 pm

For the tomatoes and peppers you’ll need to maintain a minimum of 50 degrees for them to survive, 60 for them to prolifically fruit.

33. Matt Dawson on November 19, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Done well aye

34. grease monkey on November 19, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Well I see you used some of my ideas glad someone liston to me btw if the dirt seems to dry out to much you might want to raise the heater a little it should help if you have that problem. It’s good to see you had your own design how to get venting the moving air see you around

35. FR Rapp on November 19, 2021 at 12:35 pm

looks like you are getting a nice selection of tools now . mulch the heater end might help it to keep from drying out or a deflector to send the air up some. would be interesting to put the outside temp sensor in the middle just to see what the diff from one end to the other is . i think your thought of a baffle to deflect down in the middle might be good also. a few milk jugs of water might help even out your temps and wouldnt take up space. good luck and god speed on the planting

36. skittles99 on November 19, 2021 at 12:35 pm

I’m impressed!!!

37. Gina Whisnant on November 19, 2021 at 12:37 pm

rebar cut into 2-foot sections with 1 foot pounded into the ground would secure your pvc.

38. Thunderman Dead End Scribes on November 19, 2021 at 12:38 pm

I always think Canadians are Irish when I first hear them talk.

39. Raquel tovar on November 19, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Where should I get the heater?

40. Casual Preparedness on November 19, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Excellent Video. 💯👍👍😎🇺🇸

41. KHUFF308 H on November 19, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Like how you did the wood logs. That’s a great idea. Nice job.

42. OneLifePillow on November 19, 2021 at 12:40 pm

thanks eh!

43. Chantal Gardner on November 19, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Thank you for walking us through a tutorial of your low tunnel. You have some very simple solutions that will come in handy for the rest of us using low tunnel technology.

44. Kylee's Corner on November 19, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Is the heater electric, propane, or what? Maybe you said and I just missed it but I’m curious.

45. Steve on November 19, 2021 at 12:43 pm

I just have to say that I hate canning and preserving (other than freezing) and would rather grow year round….but winter makes that impossible I’m most places.  This is probably a better, more sustainable, solution than doing hydroponics indoors (in a basement).

46. Paul Day on November 19, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Nothing like cutting a floppy piece of plywood on the ground with a sawzall and no clamps. Because farmers thats why!

Great video glad to see you’re spring is coming along!

47. Lynne Wilson on November 19, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Great ideas. I use old Venetian blinds people toss out for my plant markers. I cut them into 4 inch sections. thanks. Looking forward to more instructions and ideas, Linda Long Island, NY

48. don"s den on November 19, 2021 at 12:49 pm

That’s awesome! I live up in Alpena and am thinking of putting in a small green house.

49. kjelis1 on November 19, 2021 at 12:50 pm

This is how you can do winter garden too. A famous Swedish alternative gardner Sara Bäckmo, many smart ideas.

50. Les Potter on November 19, 2021 at 12:52 pm

What about sunlight? With a plastic shelter inside a plastic shelter, does it not filter too much sunlight?