10 Top Plants for a Food Garden in Subtropical Climates- Florida Gardening

10 Top Plants for a Food Garden in Subtropical Climates- Florida Gardening

Pete Kanaris’s 10 top plants for a food garden in subtropical climates – Florida gardening.

1. Chaya (Cnidoscolus aconitifolius)
2. Moringa (Moringa oleifera)
3. Yuca / cassava (Manihot esculenta)
4. Sweet potato (Ipomoea batatas)
5. Sissoo / Miami / Brazilian spinach (Alternanthera sissoo)
6. Katuk (Sauropus androgynus)
7. Papaya (Carica papaya)
8. Edible leaf hibiscus (Abelmoschus manihot)
9. Cranberry hibiscus (Hibiscus acetosella)
10. Okinawa spinach (Gynura crepioides)

Plants available for purchase from Pete’s nursery by visit or by mail.
Details here: https://www.greendreamsfl.com/

Website: http://www.greendreamsfl.com
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/GreenDreamsFL
Instagram: http://www.instagram.com/greendreamsTv @greendreamstv
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/Greendreamsfl

Edited by Daniel Saddleton http://www.hiphikersmedia.com

Rob Greenfield’s work is Creative Commons and this content is free to be republished and redistributed, following the terms of the creative commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 license. Learn about Creative Commons and see the guidelines here: http://www.creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc/4.0

Rob Greenfield is an activist and humanitarian dedicated to leading the way to a more sustainable and just world. He embarks on extreme projects to bring attention to important global issues and inspire positive change. 100% of his media income is donated to grassroots nonprofits.
His YouTube channel is a source to educate, inspire and help others to live more sustainable, equal and just lives. Videos frequently cover sustainable living, simple living, growing your own food, gardening, self-sufficiency, minimalism, off the grid living, zero waste, living in a tiny house and permaculture.

Find Rob Greenfield on:
Website: https://www.RobGreenfield.org
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/RobJGreenfield @RobJGreenfield
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/RobGreenfield
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/RobGreenfield
Twitter: https://twitter.com/RobJGreenfield @RobJGreenfield

Help us caption & translate this video!

1. Kevenski latonyiu's on November 20, 2021 at 12:02 pm

there is a variety sweet potato . The leaf is bad to eat . witch one is it ?

2. Michele Santucci on November 20, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Morango is an invasive specie here in FL. It’s almost impossible to kill and, no doubt, just like the Burmese Python, it will soon overtake the habitat, snuffing out the native species here. So sad. Kill it on sight!

3. Sophie Eposi on November 20, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Staple crop in west Africa

4. Wyqid on November 20, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Totally thought that 3rd plant was marijuana

5. Steven Spence on November 20, 2021 at 12:08 pm

Hello from Idaho…my wife is from China and she has grown sweet potatoes primarily for the greens, very delicious. Incidentally, we are moving to Cap Coral in September (2021) so this video will give us lots of gardening ideas.

6. Ben Mckinney on November 20, 2021 at 12:08 pm

How would some of these do in north Florida? It can get about 20 degrees where I’m at. Thanks!

7. Donna Wheeler on November 20, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Mostly sand. Can’t grow in sand.

8. Donna Wheeler on November 20, 2021 at 12:09 pm

I live in Lakeland. Polk County Florida. Want to learn gardening.

9. Maurizio Esposito on November 20, 2021 at 12:11 pm

Do these crops do well in North Florida, particularly the Gainesville area?

10. Travis M on November 20, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Sitting here eating doritos I bought from a store… 🙁

11. Forty Four on November 20, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Moringa. I worked with a guy in my lab who was from India. When he found out this was growing like a weed in my yard he begged me to bring it in. He freaking ate the bark and all. I tried it……nasty, tasted and smelled like urine. He said it’s a super food and quit being a “vussey “. Lol! I loved that guy!

12. N Peace on November 20, 2021 at 12:15 pm

Pete you live near me. Any chance I can stop by for some clippings?

13. Scratch Off Gal on November 20, 2021 at 12:16 pm

New here! Sooo happy I found your channel!

14. Back To Earth on November 20, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Much love to both of ya from India ❤️

15. Kevenski latonyiu's on November 20, 2021 at 12:17 pm

vary nice to know .Where can I get all to try DeLAND F L

16. Tom S on November 20, 2021 at 12:18 pm

I have all those. great video.

17. The Vegan Soul Food Market on November 20, 2021 at 12:18 pm

We are moving to Belize, I believe its the same climate right?

18. Hometown Gardener David Austin on November 20, 2021 at 12:19 pm

Good video. I disagree that Okinawa is tastier than longevity, but that’s a matter of opinion. Highlands County Master Gardeners will have a plant sale November 20th in Sebring Florida and sell most of these. Unfortunately no Moringa since it is now classified a category 2 invasive in Florida. Not knocking it but we just can’t justify growing it.

19. Steven Echeverria on November 20, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Thank you for this! Amazing knowledge

20. Living in the Moment on November 20, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Yes to moringa! 🙂

21. Silver Stride on November 20, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Shared from New York to friend in Florida. Great vid!

22. East coast NEWS -MICK-news on November 20, 2021 at 12:27 pm

How can I find this guy in Florida ? So I can buy some plants from him

23. Kyle Long on November 20, 2021 at 12:27 pm

I’m in Florida and don’t want any of this. Strange food explains this video better!

24. satra270 on November 20, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Thank you for putting this out for us Floridians hearing up in a couple month to have my house with plenty of backyard space to grow some of these wonderful plants !

25. Roneel Kumar on November 20, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Omg love your garden. I eat all those vegetables. They are soo good.

26. Nicole Adams on November 20, 2021 at 12:30 pm

My papaya was doing amazing here in Florida, but it got sooty mold all over it very quickly. What can I do? I’ve tried wiping it off but it’s so much. Can I just trim all the branches or will that kill the tree?

27. Stuff & Places on November 20, 2021 at 12:31 pm

i love hearing the cicadas

28. Islands n Highlands on November 20, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Pete is a walking encyclopedia! I could watch him all day…but then I wouldn’t get any plants in the ground. I guess I need some edible hibiscus, that is the only thing I’m not growing here in 10a. Rob, I have learned so much from you also, both of your channels are at the top of my favorite youtube channel list!

29. My PC and Tech vids on November 20, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Hillsborough county here

30. Nicole Sobol on November 20, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Gardner moving from Minnesota to Florida… I need all the help I can get😂

31. swdy0201 on November 20, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Awesome video! Now more than ever, people need to know this stuff!

32. Robin Reid on November 20, 2021 at 12:36 pm

From Tampa! Great video!

33. Billy Mueller on November 20, 2021 at 12:37 pm

I’m in Gainesville Florida where we get 2-3 nights of frost this winter… which of these will survive the "winter"?

34. Penny Lane on November 20, 2021 at 12:38 pm

We are starting a new garden on the Gulf Coast in Florida. Where can I find these less common plants?

35. Denise Daigle on November 20, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Where are you and what are you doing now Rob. I haven’t seen a video from you in quite some time. I am growing most of these things already that are mentioned. I wish you could come and build me a tiny house like you lived in when I first started watching you. I’m desperate to move over where my garden is and get things straightened out. I live about a mile from it now. It’s really time to make some changes in my life I’ve quit my job and not sure exactly what I’m going to do would love to work for the green dreams guy. Don’t really know anyway just wondering what you are doing now.

36. Gordon D on November 20, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Awesome stuff man, I am a newbie to gardening this was really insightful. Thank you!

37. Rahila Kurdi on November 20, 2021 at 12:40 pm

💚💙

38. Sunshine Jenny on November 20, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Fascinating video!! Learned tons! Have to watch a few times. Thanks. Def want to come buy some plants sometime! Where are you?

39. Sandra Maier on November 20, 2021 at 12:44 pm

What does Okinawan spinach taste like? I grew Malabar spinach very successfully in Delray Beach, FL. Its a beautiful vine but Im not a fan of the taste and didnt like the slimy succulent texture of the leaves. The flowers however, tasted like asparagus.

40. Richenel Jean Pierre on November 20, 2021 at 12:44 pm

You’re a herbivore

41. Brian Marini on November 20, 2021 at 12:45 pm

I too thrive on neglect.

42. Steph Rainspirite on November 20, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Papaya leaves increase platelets ..warning super bitter to juice!!! Papaya seeds dried tastes like pepper and are used to get rid of parasites! great video!

43. Jeannie Jones Spagirl on November 20, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Spinach, broccoli, cabbage, blueberries???? Why aren’t you growing them organically? I have lots of peppermint leaves in my garden and I pluck and eat them raw like you do.
    Thank you for this interesting video. I LOVE GARDENING and believe it or not my dads name was Gardner and he gardened too. Do you have generic veggies too?

44. Evidence suggestS on November 20, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Great information, Pete’s the man! Been following him for a year or so, and now I’ve found someone else to follow! I’m in Palmetto, manatee county, just south of Tampa. Happy gardening, keep up the good work homie!;)

45. R on November 20, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Which of the top 10 can be planted in the soil and which need to be potted ?

46. JOYCE FRAWLEY on November 20, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Where do you get the seeds for these plants?

47. DKUJ_ PALLETS & GARDENING on November 20, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Noted!!!! You are awesome!!! Thanks for sharing!

48. Loren Karagozler on November 20, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Amazing thank you!

49. Rowena Dinsmore on November 20, 2021 at 12:53 pm

It is good for soups

50. MOOHIN TV on November 20, 2021 at 12:57 pm

Nice! Hello from Phuket island we have the same kind too