How To Grow Passion Fruit on a Fence | 1 YEAR UPDATE on our "Frederick" PassionFruit – WOW!

When I planted our “Frederick” passion fruit to cover our chain link fence, I NEVER imagined it would do as well as it has. It has covered the fence and has produced HUNDREDS of passion fruit, all in the FIRST YEAR. We’re still figuring out how to best use this unique fruit, but covering a chain link fence with edible plants and fruit the way to go. You can live plants or seeds on Amazon! link: https://amzn.to/2B6YQza

SUBSCRIBE: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBusyGardener/featured?sub_confirmation=1
*Follow me to stay updated*

ITEMS I USE AND RECOMMEND (ALL IN ONE PLACE)

00:00 – Intro
08:50 – Conclusion

The Busy Gardener MERCH STORE

TBG Instagram Account: https://www.instagram.com/thebusygardeners/

My Latest Video:

For Business and/or Sponsorship please contact:
cameron@thebusygardener.com

Passion fruit is new for me. When I looked into covering my chain link fence, passion fruit came up as an evergreen option. It turns out that passion fruit vine grows really vigorously as long as it is watered. I didn’t know how to grow passion fruit, even though I saw Charles on IV Organics having success with it. I decided to learn how to grow passion fruit vine, and how provide passion fruit vine care by just planting it using the knowledge I’ve gained with other plants. The passion fruit trellis design is very informal. Whereas training fruit trees is specific because of the rigid branches, this frederick passion fruit, a type of purple passion fruit, grows wherever its tendrils can get a grip. Passionfruit works great in the urban garden, because of it’s ability to remain on a two dimensional structure. It’s a fairly low maintenance plant, which makes it a great fit for urban gardening for beginners, who have a little or lot of room for urban gardening. One of my favorite things about this plant is the abundance of passion flower. The passion vine is a beautiful healthy green, and I recommend creating a passion fruit cover in your backyard orchard. Because of its everbearing habit, it falls perfectly into backyard orchard culture. If you’re a fan of tropical fruit, or just looking for how to cover a fence with plants, the passion fruit gets my vote.

1. Adelia de Azeredo on November 21, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Holly vine! 🀣

2. Karim Dad on November 21, 2021 at 12:04 pm

Brother in which months growing very will poshion furits now tell me plz at pakistan

3. The Busy Gardener on November 21, 2021 at 12:04 pm

This edible fence covering DID. THE. TRICK. It turns out I really like eating passion fruit (wife still doesn’t, lol).
    ITEMS I USE AND RECOMMEND (Affiliate Items ALL IN ONE PLACE): https://www.amazon.com/shop/thebusygardener
    Thanks to subscriber Michaela Gibbs for requesting an update on this passion fruit vine!

4. robyn durdin on November 21, 2021 at 12:06 pm

We have just brought ourselves a passion fruit vine thinking we would put it in a spot near our house 😱 after seeing what they can grow like I’m thinking we may need to rethink where we are planting it 😱😱😱

5. Rona Castillo on November 21, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Impressive!

6. Lah Jessie on November 21, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Make the juice..blend with water and sugar and strain it pour over ice

7. Brooklyn You know on November 21, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Thanks for updating us! Awesome!

8. 3r1transport on November 21, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Nice video, I have one too but no fruit, lots of beautiful flowers. But do you know why they don’t fruit?

9. Probal Malakar on November 21, 2021 at 12:13 pm

For a single plant, that’s a great vine growth you have got going…

10. YASEMIN Sulker on November 21, 2021 at 12:13 pm

I need help please. We removed few dead trees from our backyard. These year passion fruit vines popped up from in the middle of yard many of vines and there’s nothing they can hang on. They started to produce fruit they are all on the ground.l don’t know how to create trellis or fence. I need ideas. I wish l can put some pictures.

11. SHAMSHER SHARMA on November 21, 2021 at 12:14 pm

Thanks

12. Thu Duong on November 21, 2021 at 12:15 pm

Does the vine have a lot of caterpillars πŸ› ?

13. Marina Ria on November 21, 2021 at 12:21 pm

Please help
    The
    Passion fruit flowers but that wilt and yellow and never turned into fruit…

14. C T on November 21, 2021 at 12:24 pm

9b phoenix here πŸ‘‹πŸΌ. I. Have a west facing wall I need to cover for privacy. Will that be too much sun for this vine? Also, will it creep over and down the other side of the wall? The wall borders a wash and I don’t want rattlesnakes & mice using this as a gateway into our yard. Thanks!

15. Flavors and Textures on November 21, 2021 at 12:25 pm

That is a ver healthy passion fruit vine!

16. Michaela Gibbs on November 21, 2021 at 12:26 pm

😳 over 40ft. It looks like I planted mine too close to my grapevine 😭 I’ll have to train it to go the other direction. Thanks for the update 😊.

17. The Busy Gardener on November 21, 2021 at 12:26 pm

*Did you know that your plants will grow better when you hit "join" above?* πŸ˜‚ Seriously, would you consider supporting The Busy Gardener as a monthly member? A couple bucks a month gets you some sweet perks. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCGQtXp5PQ0qIHUIx-8kkR0Q/join

18. Small-Time Garden on November 21, 2021 at 12:27 pm

So you eat the skin? Tell me about this. Where I’m from we just use the pulp. So, when you said crunch I was lost

19. Terrie Smith on November 21, 2021 at 12:27 pm

Wow!! They look so healthy!!

20. Adelia de Azeredo on November 21, 2021 at 12:30 pm

At the nearest Giant, each one costs $3.49. We Brazilians also prepare juices and desserts besides cocktails.

21. NM Nate on November 21, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Maypops will survive fairly cold winters, but I’ve always held reservations with how to keep them from taking over by massive sprawl or suckering.

22. Key west Alert on November 21, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Where do you live?
    Whats your daily sun hours?
    Whats the foot traffic like in the alley?
    How do you fertilize?
    Acidity of soil?
    Any trimming needed?
    What usda zones?

23. Sussan Janice Sanchez on November 21, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Mine was planted 2 years ago, last year a rabbit eat the main branch, I feel like I was loosing it, but it recover very well, this years has like a dozen flowers and 3 fruits already, I’m so happy

24. Rob's Yard Houston Area on November 21, 2021 at 12:40 pm

You gave me a idea bro…great video

25. Alexia Rodriguez on November 21, 2021 at 12:41 pm

I love how the flowers look they look like alien flowers and they make me a little bit uncomfortable looking at them but I love them!

26. Maria Fernandez on November 21, 2021 at 12:41 pm

Hi, I live in Texas, 5 years ago I planted and for 3 winters it froze but came to life by itself… last 2 winters I covered so It didn’t have to start again from bottom, but no fruit or flowers still, do you recommend something to put in soil?The seeds are from a plant that grew by itself in my mom house on Northern Mexico(nobody knew that fruit before )they grow with fruit everywhere and she doesn’t eat them, lol .

27. Scott on November 21, 2021 at 12:44 pm

The inside reminds me of snot.

28. Soy Taina on November 21, 2021 at 12:44 pm

What state are you in? I want to grow some in Northern California.

29. Bhry Wareing on November 21, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Do you cut it back when it goes dorment or do you just leave it to continuously grow?

30. Mark Mattix on November 21, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Have you ever ate a miracle berry before eating passion fruit? It’ll blow your mind!

31. ZippytheHappyChimp on November 21, 2021 at 12:49 pm

You probably want to mention what state/country/grow zone you’re in somewhere in a ‘hey you should plant this" vid.

32. Lady801 on November 21, 2021 at 12:49 pm

The juice is delicious, i drink almost every day.

33. Fernando Velasco on November 21, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Does anyone know the sweetest type of passion fruit? I like the taste, but I have found them a bit sour. I found Frederick and unknown passion fruit at my local HomeDepot.

34. Slide Jones on November 21, 2021 at 12:51 pm

I’ve had a 3 year project of covering my chain link fence with Muscadines and Scuppernongs, I think this may be the year!

35. bayparents on November 21, 2021 at 12:51 pm

I want a fast growing hardy edible vine for a privacy fence. How do I know which variety to buy? I’m in Texas zone 8b 9a. It’s hot year round with high humidity. We had a big freeze last year. I read there’s a 3 and a 5 leaf Maypop. I also want one with the lilac/purple flowers. Do all the varieties fruit taste the same? Which is the sweetest?

36. steamed kidz For brekky on November 21, 2021 at 12:53 pm

I have been growing passion fruit recently we had a few flower buds and today I found out that something had eaten them now I’m sad because the variety I’m growing takes 3 years and only produces every year it looks like something had chewed them off pls reply and tell me what is doing this and how to stop it

Edit: today I want to update you on how the passion fruit is going now, we have 5 passion fruits on the plant now and I’m really happy so thanks for the help!

37. CorJen Farm & Homestead on November 21, 2021 at 12:54 pm

I have three passion fruit vines here in central Florida that I planted just over a year ago and like you we are getting tons of fruit continuously. My fruit doesn’t develop that pretty purple color very well like yours but it tastes great. Mine do get somewhat purple but quickly go to brown. Perhaps the skin gets hit with fungus covering the purple but doesn’t effect the inside. I have a Fredrick, purple possum and red rover. I can’t tell a difference in the fruit between any of them. Enjoy your passion fruit.

38. Rhythm In Life on November 21, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Do you think that variety would do well in North Texas?

39. Cesar Hernandez on November 21, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Just want to say thanks for this video. Knowing that when the vine gets growning it is going to take off. We put ours at the base of our hammock and were going to put one on each end but 40 feet in a year we decided to wait. Your channel is great thanks.

40. Ana Miranda on November 21, 2021 at 12:55 pm

My passion fruit us close to 8 months and it’s pretty big almost covered my entire fence. It just started to blossom it’s beautiful flower and I noticed that a lot of them are drying out and dying but not giving me the fruit .?? I’ve noticed snails 🐌 and ants on it what do you recommend

41. Diba Lowen on November 21, 2021 at 12:56 pm

So you got loads of fruit with only one plant? I live in zone 6B in CT and bought one Passiflora Incarnata Maypop yesterday. I was told that it is hardy in my zone but now I am reading that to get fruit I need two varieties. I was planning to plant this to cover a cattle panel arch but it looks like that may not be enough judging by your video. Yours is awesome. I would be excited to have as much abundance as you did with one vine!

42. Castro Valley Lip on November 21, 2021 at 1:00 pm

I have about 50 vines i was going to plant on the perimeter of my 5 acres πŸ˜‚I double checking my numbers now πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ‘πŸ»πŸ€¦πŸΌβ€β™€οΈ

43. Lynn Tanner on November 21, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Hello new sub here. Thanks for the video!! How much do you water it and do you ise a fertilizer? Mine flowers but the fruit just drops.

44. Adrian Goett on November 21, 2021 at 1:01 pm

Can I plant pecan trees in a high density orchard? I’m in central florida zone 9b