Working Hard for Our Food | Vegetable Gardening in Alaska

Working Hard for Our Food | Vegetable Gardening in Alaska

Work in the garden now will pay off with future harvests of produce.

With the ground thawing, we take advantage of the opportunity to replant our asparagus crowns and build up the bed for better drainage.

The potatoes and peas are planted with time to sow other root crops and our high tunnel is completed with a freshly milled planter box for basil transplants.

We appreciate you tagging along for our Alaskan adventure ๐Ÿ˜€

Thank you for watching and supporting our channel! ๐Ÿ’™
– Eric & Arielle Illia

Music By Epidemic Sound:
For Those Who Know – Gavin Luke

Visit our Amazon store to see the products we use and recommend:

Our Amazon affiliate link if you wish to support our channel: https://amzn.to/2Xi9CvE

Products used in this video:
Chainsaw Mill: https://amzn.to/3bS7q4h
Sony A6400 Camera: https://amzn.to/2SkMXho
Down To Earth Bio-Live: https://amzn.to/3vWyNS3
Down To Earth Fish Bone Meal: https://amzn.to/3u0eqSL
DC Electric Fence Charger (25 miles): https://amzn.to/2WMi3Li
10 Watt Solar Panel Charger: https://amzn.to/2KV7IKX
Muck Boots: https://amzn.to/3y1VVAO

You can also support us through PayPal at: https://www.paypal.me/SimpleLivingAlaska?locale.x=en_US

Don’t want to miss an episode? You can ๐Ÿ…ข๐Ÿ…ค๐Ÿ…‘๐Ÿ…ข๐Ÿ…’๐Ÿ…ก๐Ÿ…˜๐Ÿ…‘๐Ÿ…” here: http://www.youtube.com/c/SimpleLivingAlaska

Our most popular playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=43yscm4F1pA&list=PL5dzTsBM4zzBbhZowW6uMJD8mdTts66EN

๐Œ๐จ๐ซ๐ž ๐…๐ซ๐จ๐ฆ ๐’๐ข๐ฆ๐ฉ๐ฅ๐ž ๐‹๐ข๐ฏ๐ข๐ง๐  ๐€๐ฅ๐š๐ฌ๐ค๐š –

๐‘Š๐‘’๐‘๐‘ ๐‘–๐‘ก๐‘’: https://www.simplelivingalaska.com

๐น๐‘Ž๐‘๐‘’๐‘๐‘œ๐‘œ๐‘˜: https://www.facebook.com/SimpleLivingAlaska

๐ผ๐‘›๐‘ ๐‘ก๐‘Ž๐‘”๐‘Ÿ๐‘Ž๐‘š: https://www.instagram.com/simplelivingalaska/

๐‘๐ž๐š๐œ๐ก ๐จ๐ฎ๐ญ ๐ญ๐จ ๐ฎ๐ฌ –

๐ธ๐‘š๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘™: simplelivingalaska@gmail.com

๐‘€๐‘Ž๐‘–๐‘™:
Simple Living Alaska
PO Box 506
Willow, AK 99688

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

1. Patricia Wells-Wright on November 22, 2021 at 11:34 am

It is so soothing to watch you plant the seeds, and care for the earth & crops. Takes me back long ago to CO, and I still miss it! THANK YOU so much for sharing, I love the every day tasks of homesteading. You are doing it right! and so much younger than Me, so please hold your dream and living reality close to your Hearts. I know You do~~

2. ะ ัƒัˆะฐะฝ ะจะธะณะฐะฟะพะฒ on November 22, 2021 at 11:35 am

Bom plantas Agrocultura ๐Ÿค ๐Ÿ‘

3. Sabby Jones on November 22, 2021 at 11:35 am

Pineapple ground cherries are the best!

4. robert elliott on November 22, 2021 at 11:37 am

That is a great way to grow produce in that high tunnel. Only wish you put the plastic bottom section on the inside of the wood, That way you can collect the condensation on the inside into the soil

5. Ana Larson on November 22, 2021 at 11:37 am

Nice share, its all amazing, you guys work so well. The eggplant if you try black plastic instead it will take off sooner and better. I found that to be a huge difference in our garden for warmth for many reason up north. Blessings.

6. Jack Green on November 22, 2021 at 11:38 am

I’ve never been to a site to where you just do everything. It’s almost like you get up in the morning and just start looking for your work gloves. Then it’s off 2 building something. They make you feel so much apart of their sight that’s really really cool.

7. cartoon videos on November 22, 2021 at 11:39 am

what about your kid plz

8. Amy Arsenault on November 22, 2021 at 11:41 am

You guys work like machines! Great teamwork too!๐Ÿ’œ

9. Ramil on November 22, 2021 at 11:41 am

Hi. Video OK. Milan from Pล™erov CZ.

10. Christina Blackwell on November 22, 2021 at 11:43 am

I aspire to have a garden half as wonderful as yours. Can you tell me what you used on your carrots as far as fertilizer?

11. Marcus Olvera on November 22, 2021 at 11:43 am

Hello, we have been enjoying your videos and you have been inspiring us to do our own garden. We are from texas and wanted to know where did you find those bended pipes for your garden house?…..thanks alot for all the info, you guys are doing an awesome job, and hope you keep doing more videos

12. Julie Summerfield on November 22, 2021 at 11:44 am

You should try canning some Sweet Onion Jam as an awesome condiment. I learned from "That 1870’s Homestead" channel. We love it! When the Walla Walla Sweets start to age in storage we cut them all up and can them with that recipe. It’s nice because we can them in the winter and not in the middle of August or Sept. when everything else needs canned. I really enjoy your content! https://youtu.be/vqTu9cNT9j4

13. Mark Troiani on November 22, 2021 at 11:45 am

Because I like them. Our Earth Mother has spoken.

14. Rho Schofield on November 22, 2021 at 11:51 am

What did happen to your root seller?

15. Elizabeth Stanwood on November 22, 2021 at 11:52 am

Pepper sneaking around the garden behind you is my favorite part of your videos. ๐Ÿ’–

16. Elaine De Goede on November 22, 2021 at 11:53 am

Love your gardening and fishing. I am from Stellenbosch South Africa. Good luck with the beautiful garden.

17. Sabby Jones on November 22, 2021 at 11:53 am

Love love love magic molly learned about them from haphazard homestead shes in eugene oregon

18. Patricia Wells-Wright on November 22, 2021 at 11:55 am

Never seen asparagus roots etc. And plantingโ€ฆ..I hope it works out and you get a good crop!

19. Leaf Lover on November 22, 2021 at 11:56 am

You have beautiful soil there. So rich looking.

20. Ruthie May on November 22, 2021 at 11:56 am

Walla wallas are so big and sweet, people eat them like apples. And use them to make ice cream in Walla Walla Washington. It’s so nice they named it twice.

21. coastalb1 on November 22, 2021 at 11:57 am

Iโ€™m so excited to see what you harvest. Even though I wonโ€™t actually get to partake physically, I do get to see what you both gather and cook. That chicken was so annoying, but Iโ€™m familiar with that behavior, Iโ€™m sure it was equally annoying for you to film while she was being so dramatic. Greetings from Texas!

22. Reba Carmack on November 22, 2021 at 11:57 am

Do yโ€™all have jobs that earn you other $ or just from tube? Hope this is not to personal- if so ; ignoreDo u have u tube videos from Oregon?

23. f rahal on November 22, 2021 at 11:59 am

Eric says …" so we had to buy 2- 2X4’s … it wasn’t pretty ". I was dead.๐Ÿ˜‚ Am I the only one who thinks Eric and Ariel’s sense of frugality and wit is hysterical ? Keep at it !

24. Chronically Witty on November 22, 2021 at 12:00 pm

Important question. Which toe was the asparagus the size of?

25. marilyn white on November 22, 2021 at 12:00 pm

love watching just wish you would tell us what the plants are.

26. Charlene Quinilty on November 22, 2021 at 12:02 pm

What amendments/fertilizer did yโ€™all put on carrots

27. guest on November 22, 2021 at 12:02 pm

Have you guys thought about climate battery greenhouse? It will require a lot of digging (not sure how deep bedrock is in your area), but I think it could extend your growing season immensely.

28. Marcella Cruser on November 22, 2021 at 12:07 pm

Sweet onions dehydrate very nicely… they get a bit of caramelized flavor. It’s my favorite thing to do with the sweets when they get to the end of their keeping time.

29. Skrimpish on November 22, 2021 at 12:09 pm

Neem oil for the eggplants. Look into ways to increase the temp inside the greenhouse earlier in the season.

30. Shely Pastor on November 22, 2021 at 12:10 pm

I love your videos and really want to know if you have a video of how to protect our garden from bugs ๐Ÿ›๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ๐Ÿ˜ญ

31. Jack Norman on November 22, 2021 at 12:10 pm

How do you guys get a shower?

32. Cyrus Campbell on November 22, 2021 at 12:12 pm

Do you use the onion tops my mom made salted onion tops and used it for cooking

33. Stacy Heigl on November 22, 2021 at 12:12 pm

What happens to the root cellar?

34. Barb Justiniano on November 22, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Is there a video about what happened to the root cellar?

35. Deborah Parnell on November 22, 2021 at 12:13 pm

Do you mind me asking what your spiritual recipes are?

36. Khalid Qanah on November 22, 2021 at 12:16 pm

Alaska/Population
    731,545 (2019)

37. Rowan Collins on November 22, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Do you guys do all this YouTube stuff as your living or do you guys have jobs as well as all this stuff?

38. Khalid Qanah on November 22, 2021 at 12:18 pm

I like Alaska’s Potatoes & the NWT Yellow flesh Potatoes as well as Yukon Potatoes, New Brunswick & PEI Potatoes are very well spread in the Canadian Markets, but I always prefer the Northern Yellow flesh Potatoes, It’s a bit more expensive than the other normal potatoes, but they are tastier. I really admire both of you for your adventure & for being a great handyman & excellent craftsman, which makes life easier for both of you in that harsh environment. Keep up the good work, and maybe, one day I will visit Alaska, it’s been my dream since my childhood. Good Luck. By the way, I live in Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, maybe day driving. You are an excellent U tuber, try to make a video on Anchorage & other Cities in Alaska, Introduce Alaska to the world thru your videos. Good Lick.

39. Nettles and Knitting on November 22, 2021 at 12:19 pm

That raised bed is amazing!!!

40. DayDream Believer on November 22, 2021 at 12:19 pm

Do you think the sphagnum moss somehow affected the crazy chickweed growth this year?

41. steve wallis on November 22, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Hi from New Zealand- Aeotearoa Oposite end of Pacific . a little un nerving with the sidearms ealier as we dont have things that can kill you in the bush. dislexic so cant spell,,stay well n good

42. Tom Husted on November 22, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Eric if you get a chance pm me for my number I have an idea about a root celler

43. Kristy Lynn on November 22, 2021 at 12:20 pm

Gardening is a love of mine! Have a small one right now would like to plant more. Potato ๐Ÿฅ” storage idea!!! Find a old chest freezer that doesnโ€™t work bury it and store you root crops in it in boxes. I saw it online and thought of yโ€™all.

44. Dianna Marie on November 22, 2021 at 12:22 pm

I’m amazed at all the potatoes you get from what you plant. I have been binge watching your videos. After living in Alaska, I can relate to a lot of you both go through. Not planting crops, just the environment and nature.

45. Raylee Eastlick on November 22, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Klamath falls Oregon is listening and watching

46. Shaun Price on November 22, 2021 at 12:26 pm

What happened to their root cellar?? Did I miss that episode

47. Lord of Nothing on November 22, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Showed your video to my garden and it is very embarrassed and self conscious now.

48. Ginger K on November 22, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Great video. Another epic fishing adventure and lucky me I was eating stirfry, mahi mahi and cucumbers while I watched!!! Your videos almost always send he hunting up something to eat ๐Ÿ˜€ Garden is looking so good! Thanks for sharing!

49. robert elliott on November 22, 2021 at 12:29 pm

You folks are really awesome with all that you do. I know you can store carrots in totes. Drill holes in lid(1/8 th dia.) then with damp sand put a layer down then place carrots on top. Repeat till you get to top then cover and store in a dark cool place

50. Rose Norcia on November 22, 2021 at 12:30 pm

What happened to your root cellar you donโ€™t have it anymore??