How to build a wooden planter box

How to build a wooden planter box

I am building a simple wooden planter box for my oldest grandson who just turned six last Thursday. He is interested in growing vegetables and my wife asked me to build this box today. This planter was approximately 4 foot by 1 and a half foot and 16 inches tall. These are some of the tools that I used: https://amzn.to/2MCNn0b

1. Katherine torres on November 23, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Can you send me the measures so I can get the same size at Lowe’s or HD

2. Melissa M Minter on November 23, 2021 at 12:24 pm

I love the video but hate when you do not list the exact amounts of wood and other items used. How many pieces of dog ear treated pine wood and how many 2×4 used?

3. La Push on November 23, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Hate to be a downer but plastic is pretty harmful too. Easy search to see all the cancer causing and hormone altering chemicals they leach… even food grade plastics.

4. bella dittburner on November 23, 2021 at 12:25 pm

This is just what i am looking to build We are going to build a new deck I will use the cedar plants from it for this project Thanks you so much for posting

5. TimTamTheTurtleMan on November 23, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Thank you for making this! I made a hen house last year with my dad but I wanted to try making something on my own and this was a great project to start with. Think I’ve found a new hobby 🙂

6. Rand Althor on November 23, 2021 at 12:27 pm

Great job man. The trim looks uglier in my opinion anyway. Extra work and makes it look too old and rustic… for a planter box.

Was this strong enough to hold the soil? I’m looking to make something similar, but 1 board deeper to have a bit more soil..

7. Hard Truth on November 23, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Nice build.

I’m going to use your design for a couple of waste high planter boxes. Thanks a lot.

8. Neil Stam on November 23, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Do you have a list of the material needed?

9. John Goddard on November 23, 2021 at 12:31 pm

I’m in the UK. Just made this from left over gravel boards and posts. Brilliant video cheers!

10. Katherine torres on November 23, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Can you send me the measures so I can get the same size at Lowe’s or HD

11. builditstudio on November 23, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Nice job, looks easy enough. I bet your grandson liked it. Thanks for sharing

12. Asani Dhoruba on November 23, 2021 at 12:32 pm

Did he say "Bomb Diggady!"? That is some old school 80’s slang! I love it!

13. Shannan Schisler on November 23, 2021 at 12:33 pm

My husband uses these plans from Woodglut and is very happy with them. However. I love yours!

14. samantha nicholson on November 23, 2021 at 12:33 pm

The boards we put into ours we didn’t drill holes the slight gaps allowed water out even with plastic In, that had holes

15. Alex Yousefian on November 23, 2021 at 12:33 pm

just what I was looking for, simple build for weekend project, had fun building it, thanks for this!

16. Tom Williams on November 23, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Excellent video. I now have a planter that looks just like yours. Thanks

17. Joe Jamata on November 23, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Quick easy access to many projects with Woodglut plans.

18. Ming Ung on November 23, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Easy to understand. Thank you!

19. Chas Dickens on November 23, 2021 at 12:35 pm

But, where is the drainage?

20. MabuhayEmmaJo on November 23, 2021 at 12:36 pm

can’t wait to build one like you just made.

21. Steve LuMaye on November 23, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Love this box, I made one and my wife liked it so much she had me build another.

22. John Elroy on November 23, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Great Video . Started and Completed Mine This Weekend . Built it With Supplies from Home Depot . Thank You

23. Richard Corsillo on November 23, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Your name isn’t pedro

24. L w on November 23, 2021 at 12:40 pm

A great vid…thank you for this straight forward, easy to follow planter-box.

25. Scott Jacobs on November 23, 2021 at 12:42 pm

Nice job!!

26. Tomeka Pompey on November 23, 2021 at 12:46 pm

I really like it. Also check out Woodglut and plans.

27. Jhoana Paras on November 23, 2021 at 12:48 pm

What size is this planter box? Thanks

28. George DaVall on November 23, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Ha ha he paints his ole P/C green, and pretends it’s a triple hammer! 🤔🙄🤷🏻‍♂️😃😀😂
    Nice project and what a great Grandpa! 👍👍👍👍👍😁✌🏻🇺🇸

29. Pamela Vance on November 23, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Painted thought….
    Paint the words on the long side
    Happiness is…. ( first board )
    Time In the garden. ( Second board )

30. Tim Rogers on November 23, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Do you have a materials list?

31. Tarkan Eker on November 23, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Congratulations very beautiful, I am writing you give the measure could you greetings from turkiyede

32. Thomas Africa on November 23, 2021 at 12:54 pm

KEEP ENCOURAGING HIM TO BE INTERESTED IN GARDENING! It’s an amazing hobby, good for the soul and good for the planet.

Thanks for this vid, I’ve never build anything before but I’m gonna give it a shot 🙂

33. Tinkering with Poppy on November 23, 2021 at 12:54 pm

thanks for the awesome video.

34. PoleGem on November 23, 2021 at 12:54 pm

This is gorgeous….imma use cedar fencing! ……and still may eliminate floor boards, just use floor braces to holdup some drop in plastic liners.

35. Ernesto Izaguirre on November 23, 2021 at 12:56 pm

Awesome video, thank you so much.

36. Luke George on November 23, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Your video is easy to follow just one suggestion is that using something naturally rot resistant like cedar may be a better choice. I hope more people don’t use treated wood. Thanks.

37. Maryll TV on November 23, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Can i please have the measurements as i have to get it cut at home depot thank you

38. Prophetic End Times on November 23, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Nice thank you 🙂 Did he have success with it 🙂

39. David Griffis on November 23, 2021 at 1:03 pm

Great work. I’m going to use the same design. Will go wider on the short sides to I can fit three planks in evenly in the base.

40. Yun Guo Gan on November 23, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Well done and simple and very good for plants 🌱 thank you for the shared

41. David Morrin on November 23, 2021 at 1:05 pm

always leave spacing for water to go through

42. Darald Staley on November 23, 2021 at 1:06 pm

I made one for my granddaughter and it came out perfect. Great video. I used cedar for the whole planter including the legs and bottom supports to make it last longer outside. She put 4 5 gallon buckets in it and LOVES it. thx

43. Sirjackjack on November 23, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Im a student so I don’t have a ton of tools so I tweaked the steps a bit but my girlfriend loved it, thanks so much for the vid!

44. Lee Lee on November 23, 2021 at 1:13 pm

how much was this project?

45. Kimberly Dehal on November 23, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I made this today using wood from the sandbox we just took apart and some random 2x4s from another project we disassembled. The fact that I was able to do it in one afternoon using random stuff I had already is amazing. Thank you for doing something simple and making it accessible.

46. DJ MUSICROCKA on November 23, 2021 at 1:13 pm

Hey what’s up Pedro I loved this simple DIY Planter Box. I used an eye ball schematic of what you did to build a planter box for my wife today. I’m pretty handy so I just observed and used a good look at what you did and did my own thing but you gave me all the inspiration. And I’m from Brooklyn, NY with a small back yard. I will try and upload some pic it it will
    Let me. Thank You. Keep the simple projects going.

47. Arran Spalding on November 23, 2021 at 1:15 pm

I like this design, there’s some old decking and a pallet laying around that would be perfect for this.

48. Iunio92 on November 23, 2021 at 1:15 pm

cheers mate! I upscaled this for my backyard and it came out great!

49. Joe Ghamandi on November 23, 2021 at 1:17 pm

Great job bud , not fancy just what my wife needs .

50. Kathleen Claire Mesias on November 23, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Hello sir, what brand and what kind of cordless drill is that? Because I want to buy that kind of cordless drill for my husband. Thank you sir. ☺️