Would These Fake Windows Fool You? | I Like To Make Stuff

Would These Fake Windows Fool You? | I Like To Make Stuff

We needed some additional light in a basement bedroom, so we made some light panel windows that fade in and out like the real thing! You can make these false windows in any room using off-the-shelf items. Get Plans, Merch, and Courses at http://iliketomakestuff.com

Subscribe: http://bit.ly/ILikeToMakestuffSubscribe
Second Channel: http://bit.ly/iltms-2
Check out my TopVideos!: http://bit.ly/ILikeToMakeStuffTopVideos

Get digital plans, cool merch, and indepth articles at

Home

Learn 3d modeling in Fusion 360 with our online course:

TOOLS & SUPPLIES WE USED(affiliate links):

Want to support ILTMS? The Maker Alliance gets exclusive content and more…

MUSIC: http://share.epidemicsound.com/iltms

#diy #ILikeToMakeStuff #homerenovation

About I Like To Make Stuff:

We have lots of projects including woodworking, metalworking, electronics, 3D printing, prop making and more!

These videos are our attempt inspire and empower others to make the stuff that they want to have. Hopefully you’ll see something here that will inspire you to make something that you’re passionate about!

Would This Fake Window Fool You? | I Like To Make Stuff

I Like To Make Stuff

1. Jay Tee on November 24, 2021 at 12:22 pm

Wow.
    I know nothing about home improvement and I have no idea why this video popped up in my feed, but I’m amazed.

It never would have occurred to me that something like this was even possible.
    Very cool.

2. CM on November 24, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Love to see you making a fake window with different shining angles at different time

3. L.S. Aaron on November 24, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Wait tell me more about the SECRET office!

4. Jake on November 24, 2021 at 12:24 pm

You could make an IOT controller that has that dimmable signal with an arduino and a Solid state relay

5. Madeline’s Creations on November 24, 2021 at 12:25 pm

Awesome idea

6. Cassia Prior on November 24, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Wouldn’t it also be good to make the windows movement sensored sentitive thingie? Or are they gonna have a regular switch for when you enter the room and dim automatically to the time of day?

7. mrk107 on November 24, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Everyday is a sunny day in that room.

8. Hmido Rock on November 24, 2021 at 12:33 pm

👍🏼! I don’t have a basement but I have a bathroom with no windows so this give me an idea 💡 thank you 🙏

9. Steve Alvarez on November 24, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Put a nice print made to light up behind the ‘glass’ so it looks like a scene from a forest or beach. It would get light and dark, just like real.

10. Sharon Elaine on November 24, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Cool but hard for regular people to replicate

11. jenny clark on November 24, 2021 at 12:34 pm

That is amazing !!! Looks so good !!!

12. the stuff on November 24, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Is in America everything made of cardboard and wooden sticks?

13. Onos Ekewenu on November 24, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Awesome! Wish I saw this vid before developing my basement.

14. Mobulus Moby on November 24, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Just a hint of tall grass, or shrubbery silhouetted at the bottom, may give it a touch of realism…

15. emzirek on November 24, 2021 at 12:38 pm

put sheers( curtain) up to add to the ‘authenticity’ of the fake sun light

16. Eliza Dolittle on November 24, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Fantastic idea!

17. Sυρεr Frσg on November 24, 2021 at 12:40 pm

Or don’t house your children in the basement.

18. ric Killebrew on November 24, 2021 at 12:40 pm

nice, needs room for improvements

19. Bella Deann on November 24, 2021 at 12:40 pm

What a LUCKY SON.
    But WHY DOESN’T
    HE HELP. IT IS FOR HIM.

20. Claudette Clark on November 24, 2021 at 12:40 pm

So imma try and do a light box in a van conversion. I have been looking for ideas on how.

21. Dater951 on November 24, 2021 at 12:41 pm

where did you buy this light box?

22. Shelly C on November 24, 2021 at 12:41 pm

I’m a bit late to this, but I was curious as to whether you could use (for lack of a better way to ask) "Happy Lights" (aka full-spectrum light) – or even if they make light panels of this size like that. Who knows, maybe these panels ARE "happy lights" and it’s just not mentioned? That seems like it would be a great addition to this, as well. And maybe you could grow a plant or two on the sill 🙂

23. Delbert Demarco on November 24, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Looks like a light on the wall. I can see through a window.

24. Tomato on November 24, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Ah yes, American homes where u can cut holes in the walls
    But seriously great project btw 👍

25. Mark Cam on November 24, 2021 at 12:47 pm

That is so COOL ……….

26. ClosestNearUtopia on November 24, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Artificial light* 😒

27. Joie Cardenas on November 24, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Isn’t it illegal to have a bedroom without windows? In case there is a fire to escape?

28. lothean on November 24, 2021 at 12:49 pm

They have that setup at idea. But this is really cool.

29. Shai Long on November 24, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Wow homes in USA really are just made of sticks. 😳

30. Sevi Regis on November 24, 2021 at 12:52 pm

What a cool idea. Are there filaments in those windows that eventually have to be replaced? Is it possible to have a forest or beach scene behind the windows to add dimension and realism?

31. Tom Cee on November 24, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Needs curtains and a sill to look more realistic.
    Also, while it’s great to use 2×4 lights, a real window would have different dimensions. Probably golden ratio. I’d probably go with tape lights behind plexiglas.
    The overall aesthetic is pretty good, though. The lattice is a great idea. I also wonder about actual reclaimed windows as a starting point.

32. Daniella Davis on November 24, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Talent! This is dope!

33. Jaxon Quest on November 24, 2021 at 12:54 pm

There is a business in town that has “fake windows”.. the business is a storage company. So there is no need for window. I watched them install some of the windows.. they are simply boxes that have glass and shaped like windows. After they were installed it made the building look as if they had windows.

I think these “fake” windows could be made better with computer technology and programmed to display themes. Like Christmas, Halloween, Easter, ordinary days like summer…

34. Agent Smith on November 24, 2021 at 12:55 pm

You could use an Arduino Nano as your dimmer ciruit controller.

35. I Like To Make Stuff on November 24, 2021 at 12:57 pm

This room isn’t officially listed as bedroom because it doesn’t have secondary egress. But, right outside that door, there are two egress windows where Josh and his son practice fire escape. Thank you for your concern, they’ve addressed this issue when they bought the house. We hope you enjoy the intent of the video, making the space better for his family.

36. marie-elena Waldrip on November 24, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Love this!

37. sadsweet on November 24, 2021 at 1:02 pm

If you print a landscape picture poster the same size as the light you can put it over the light but under the trim or even a sheet of glass, and then you would have a room with a view. I used a similar effect to film a scene where I placed a light behind a poster print and it looked so real.

38. DAN E on November 24, 2021 at 1:03 pm

you can get flat panels wich are dimmable which don’t use 0-10V (purple and gray wire) and I would use a smart switch which I could then have the lights turn on gradually in the morning and off gradually dusk to dawn. great video and great idea!!

39. The WOL on November 24, 2021 at 1:07 pm

What a great idea! If you used sunlight-spectrum lights in them, you could put windows like these in an inside wall in a kitchen or family room as a way for people who have Seasonal Affective Disorder (they get really depressed in the wintertime because of the short winter days and not getting enough natural sunlight) could have a way to get enough sunlight in the wintertime that subtle and just looks like room decor. Could be a life saver for people who suffer from SAD.

40. Sam A on November 24, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Cool project. It would be nice to know the individual components models (LED panel and dimmer).

41. Anna Marie on November 24, 2021 at 1:07 pm

I love the idea, but I cannot cut into the wall of my apartment…

42. Wii U on November 24, 2021 at 1:09 pm

My question is why not use an LCD to show an image of the outside and have some heavy duty lights to the side to make it bright? If you want parallaxing just get a curved screen. This will make it look more authentic and has the advantage of keeping your mind calm instead of the clearly fake windows you have now. The hole idea of fake windows is to give you piece of mind, and this type of window really only works if you are using it for a fake sky light window. Also, an advantage of using flashlights to light up the room is that you can always change their direction through the day to give the appearance of the sun moving and really sells it home if you line that up with the sun’s actual movements. The window already has the bars in it so it would block the flashlight and look like a real shadow from the sun. Combine this with multiple windows and a dark mode for night time and friends will be asking where those windows are on the outside of the house. You could program multiple environments to make you feel cool or like you’re in space on the enterprise, and you could use blue light blocking films to make it better for your eyes and warm like the sun. If you could actually do that then I would be really impressed and totally want to hang out in your man cave whenever you let me (because who doesn’t want to be on Star Trek in their own house or a friends house).

43. Darlene Smith on November 24, 2021 at 1:10 pm

should have a picture in the background 🤷🏻‍♀️🤔😁🛐🙏🏽

44. landiodo on November 24, 2021 at 1:11 pm

I work in daycare and they always put the babies in the classroom with no windows. The full spectrum bulbs helped a lot. I’m wondering if full spectrum bulbs come in those flat panels.

45. thaumaTurtles on November 24, 2021 at 1:13 pm

This is basically just Problem Sleuth

46. Higherseeker on November 24, 2021 at 1:15 pm

How about full spectrum lighting?

47. Renald Sunset on November 24, 2021 at 1:17 pm

American houses be really made out of wood

48. Colleen Marble on November 24, 2021 at 1:18 pm

I have a basement sewing room with no windows. These would be perfect!

49. Sunshine Sunnybunz on November 24, 2021 at 1:19 pm

This would be nice for people who work graveyard shifts. It’s hard to stay up on nights off

50. Tales G on November 24, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Use a timer to chanche the color of the light! Use warm light on morming and the end of the day !!!!