DIY Hydroponic Containers for Less Than $10

DIY Hydroponic Containers for Less Than $10

Growing a hydroponic garden does not have to be expensive. We are building some kratky bins for less than $10 and they don’t have to cost you anything if you use the right materials or have them latying around your house already.

.99 Heirloom Vegetable Seeds: http:www.migardener.com/store
——————————————————————————————-
MIgardener Website http://www.MIgardener.com
Join the fun on facebook @ http://www.facebook.com/MIgardener
+1 me on Google+ @ http://www.google.com/+MIgardener
Pin us on Pinterest @ http://www.pinterest.com/MIgardenerYT
Follow the fun on twitter @ http://www.twitter.com/MI_Gardener
Come tumble with us @ http://www.MIgardener.tumblr.com Check out our new clothing line! http:www.freshpickedapparel.com

1. Speranza on November 26, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Just wondering but do the plastic bins need to be food grade or does that not matter.

2. Laz Palmer on November 26, 2021 at 12:25 pm

does it matter that those bins aren’t bpa free plastic?

3. sly dankass on November 26, 2021 at 12:27 pm

just be careful biying hydroponic stuff, many people have been raided for only being seen going into a hydroponics store

4. Soul Price on November 26, 2021 at 12:31 pm

fyi my guy that drill tip bs you have issues with ….theres a reason that the bit has them holes on the side if it pluse it helps cool down faster an more resions there their

5. Gilles Goulet on November 26, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Try putting the drill in reverse. It takes a little longer to cut but much cleaner job and it doesn’t catch. đź‘Ť

6. Red Wiggler on November 26, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Looking to find bpa free bins. Anyone have any tips where to buy in person or online? I can’t seem to find any good leads.

7. MindofMadness on November 26, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Flip the lids upside down on a surface you do not mind damaging such as a spare piece of drywall then drill. Run the drill a little slower. Your issue drilling the holes is coming from too much speed over a flexible surface.

8. Andrew Goss on November 26, 2021 at 12:35 pm

Food for thought. When you’re drilling the circular holes get the teeth in to start then go in reverse to drill the hole! Cleaner cut less difficult

9. Mike Whitted on November 26, 2021 at 12:36 pm

Also reverse the drill to make a cleaner hole, it will still cut thru. To remove disc’s just stick a screwdriver thru the outside of holesaw to inside after each hole and push out disc.

10. Julian on November 26, 2021 at 12:36 pm

You’ll get a smoother cut on the top if you use the drill in reverse. The bit is made for wood, and it really binds to the plastic.

11. Julie on November 26, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Why can’t you use these for tomatoes?

12. DimOk's Woodworking on November 26, 2021 at 12:38 pm

On thin plastic dril in reverse

13. Motivational life on November 26, 2021 at 12:41 pm

and do not stop the drill push slow .. duh

14. Marc Gomez on November 26, 2021 at 12:45 pm

Where can u buy those bins?

15. Nick Joslin on November 26, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Those commander containers are great. The HDX varieties are also good. The lids are made of really thick plastic. Walmart sells bins that look similar to those sold at Lowes/Home Depot, but the plastic lid is much flimsier.

16. Soul Price on November 26, 2021 at 12:51 pm

love the vid tho u just got me my answer on what’s to do next

17. Roger Aguilar on November 26, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Where’s Waldo? I think we finally found him!

18. Reesys OrganicWorld on November 26, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Great idea MIG. I am trying this today. Love your channel. Thanks for helping us newbies.

19. Anna Leonie on November 26, 2021 at 12:53 pm

A proper timber bit might help you a bit more, too.

20. KingK on November 26, 2021 at 12:54 pm

What torque for hole saw drill for plastic lid? Thanks I am new to hydroponics and drilling.

21. Raymond Andrews on November 26, 2021 at 12:54 pm

Next time try putting the drill in reverse for the thinner plastic

22. ERCIN BURAK OZSOY on November 26, 2021 at 12:57 pm

Is the price of the drill and the cut head included in this $10?

23. Thenightfly on November 26, 2021 at 1:00 pm

All you did way make people scratch their head?? Never take gardening advice from someone who works in the office. Just a box with a hole in is is hydroponics?? Zero water movement so nothing to oxygenate the water ???

24. Erebus Aeon on November 26, 2021 at 1:02 pm

why does your shirt say grow or go big home.

25. Laura Lewis on November 26, 2021 at 1:03 pm

use a screwdriver to pop the plastic discs out.

26. Tanner Jablowski on November 26, 2021 at 1:04 pm

You can basically skip the first three minutes

27. habutti on November 26, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Put duct tape on that plastic before drilling into, it will reduce the carnage.

28. jtuno122 on November 26, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Did you stop hydroponics?

29. Brad Luzier on November 26, 2021 at 1:05 pm

What size aquarium air pump so you need for an 18 gallon tote

30. Jeffrey West on November 26, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Put the drill in reverse. Much less aggressive and it won’t destroy the thinner plastic.

31. Rog Eers on November 26, 2021 at 1:05 pm

When my 1 year old decides to get into hydroponics this is the video I’m going to show her. If you are an adult you might need a pillow.

32. Dark Destroyer on November 26, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Useless video FFS…

33. JohannVF on November 26, 2021 at 1:07 pm

Would this setup (specifically the 17 gallon tote) work for Bok Choy?

34. Arnob Mitro on November 26, 2021 at 1:08 pm

I need this type of jar or container. Can you plz plz tell me where I can get ( online)?

35. David Merino on November 26, 2021 at 1:10 pm

My personal feelings on this is when I did it I grew six lettuces in about eight weeks think it have been longer.each one had four to eight leaves on them .it wasn’t even enough to fill a cup up you need to do this on a huge scale to produce enough food.
    It’s definitely good enough for a little bit of fun but you cannot depend on this to produce enough food.

36. Pub Champ on November 26, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Run hole saw in reverse

37. Where Is The Thumbnail on November 26, 2021 at 1:10 pm

are there any better containers than these as far as price and having a smooth lid?

38. Randomonium on November 26, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Has anyone mentioned using a screwdriver in the holes to push out the plug, and drilling backwards?

39. UKE3 - Ukulele Adam on November 26, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Or lay the lid on a piece of board when you cut the hole.

40. Where Is The Thumbnail on November 26, 2021 at 1:13 pm

how big of a container is needed to 9 plants in 9 netcups? The bigger the container the more water and nutrients you have to use for the water to reach the net cups right? Could a 10 gallon container work instead of 27 gallon?

41. Mark Novak on November 26, 2021 at 1:15 pm

Toss the drill – use a knife like a real man would.

42. ATS on November 26, 2021 at 1:15 pm

I was gonna try those type of containers for an RDWC system. I bought a bunch of sterlite totes from walmart and after testing them out, my PH kept running away higher and higher until I had 10 on my ph meter and everything kept dying. I kept changing water out of these totes over and over again and the PH just keeps running away. I tried fighting it with PH down but I got tired of trying to keep the water balanced and came to a conclusion they are putting something in the plastic to keep mold and mildew out of your stored items and that is interfering with the hydro system. So I just went back to the tried and proven hempy bucket drain to waste system that works every time.

43. Kevin Mencer on November 26, 2021 at 1:16 pm

Could you grow peppers using this system?

44. Gary Steinert on November 26, 2021 at 1:16 pm

This is the reservoir for my mist king

45. STONEDay on November 26, 2021 at 1:17 pm

lol everyone saying reverse reverse reverse. I find putting a spare block of wood behind the plastic and clamping/holding it down then drilling into that will help you get a cleaner cut.

46. Joshua Steininger on November 26, 2021 at 1:18 pm

I wonder if anyone told you to run the drill in reverse for a cleaner cut hole??

47. Steve Jackson on November 26, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Use a screwdriver through the holes on the side of the hole saw to remove the discs. No need to remove the center bit.

48. Shane oh luty Dugan on November 26, 2021 at 1:20 pm

U cut them while on top of bin big mistake put it on a scrap peace of wood then put it up side down then stand on it and push down shouldn’t crack at all for anybody watching thin plastic u go from back side of what ever it is if u can and put a board behind it if u gotta clamp use it if not stand on the flat part using weight to hold it and go slow

49. Douglas Powell on November 26, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Use a screwdriver through the hole saw slots to push out the disk. Effortless.

50. NicholasPOGM on November 26, 2021 at 1:23 pm

I have the Gardyn system and it works great. I was wondering – have you ever used an aquarium wave maker inside the nutrient tank to keep the solution well mixed?