Garden Netting: Protecting crops in the Veggie Garden

Garden Netting: Protecting crops in the Veggie Garden

This piece is in partnership with Gardening Naturally, a small family run business specialising in natural and organic gardening products. They sent me the three hoop sets and netting that you’ll see in the video.

See Gardening Naturally’s netting range: http://bit.ly/2GTakDz
Check out their aluminium garden hoops: http://bit.ly/2GT0otq
Get 10% off your order with this code: GREENS10

The allotment garden is bursting into life and as crops mature they attract the attention of birds, bunnies, and insects. Short of standing outside and shooing them away, it’s important to keep juicy greens and plump berries netted. Now more than ever since it’s turning out to be the year of the pheasant for me!

Pheasants have been digging up my potatoes, decimating my sweet peas, and making a real nuisance of themselves in our community garden. There’s other wildlife eyeing up my veggies too! Pigeons, cabbage white butterflies, and carrot root fly to name a few.

This year I’m using three types of netting that will keep the critters at bay and I’ll run you through each in this video. Not only that, but I’m draping them over some very snazzy high-quality aluminium hoops. They create space for plants to grow, look great, and will last for years. The same goes for the netting.

In this video:
✽ a look at the crops I have growing in the garden in May
✽ Soft butterfly netting for the cabbage white butterfly & pheasants
✽ Veggiemesh netting for the carrot root fly
✽ Super soft bird netting for pigeons and other berry eating birds
✽ Aluminium hoops for the netting to fit over

➤ If you enjoyed this video please give it a thumbs up and subscribe (thank you!).
➤Remember to TURN ON notifications to know when new videos are out

➤ FIND LOVELY GREENS ONLINE
LEARN MORE: https://lovelygreens.com/about
INSTAGRAM: https://www.instagram.com/lovely.greens/
TWITTER: https://twitter.com/LovelyGreens
FACEBOOK: https://www.facebook.com/lovely.greens.iom/

➤ NEWSLETTER SUBSCRIPTION https://www.subscribepage.com/lovelygreens
➤ ENQUIRIES hello@lovelygreens.com

1. Michelle Ochinero on December 3, 2021 at 12:47 pm

California girl here. Feral cats! They love the guest litter boxes I’ve made for them! Lol, tears. We have a plastic bird betting and I hate it. It is difficult to work with and catches on everything. I’m going to look for the butterfly netting and give that a try. I like the square angles frames over the hoops.

2. lori shecter on December 3, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Iguanas. I’m in SE Florida

3. Debbie Li on December 3, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Great job like always

4. Christine Wilson on December 3, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Don’t be fooled; there is no way that netting will keep pheasants off your plants – I know because I am in a constant battle with pheasants and the only way to stop them is by erecting thick wires – ones that don’t bend.

5. bigal25938 on December 3, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Shoot the squirrels, eat the squirrels. Best meat in the woods. Chicken of the trees.

6. Deborah Martyn on December 3, 2021 at 12:50 pm

I love these products but live in USA, Does anyone have a recommendation for these types of products in USA?

7. blanco polar on December 3, 2021 at 12:50 pm

🙏🙌👏😇🇻🇪💪👍🤗

8. marianne030 on December 3, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Where did you get those clips?

9. Anita Mah on December 3, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Do you water through the net?

10. Wayne King Is Great! on December 3, 2021 at 12:54 pm

I can never find the black netting for my own garden I do have netting but it’s the white one which is a mesh netting which I’m using for my strawberry plants and the reason I’m using it is because there are loads of pigeons always around my garden plus I already have strawberry’s forming so they do not need anymore pollination but I am looking to get a butterfly netting I do have a bird netting but it’s not the best and I actually don’t think it would even stop the Bird’s from getting to my crops

11. Bhargavi Chinnapati on December 3, 2021 at 12:59 pm

What if it is too hot? I live in USA, in summer some days it’s very hot. Want to protect my green leaf vegetables nd other plants.
    What do u use? Mine is very small place, so I used a cotton piece tied to my balcony from one end to other. So much better!

12. Mary Rogers on December 3, 2021 at 1:01 pm

I usen repellants too

13. Concerned Citizen on December 3, 2021 at 1:02 pm

thank you 😊… very informative !

14. N B'er on December 3, 2021 at 1:03 pm

I have a beautiful bluejay eating my broccoli and cauliflower leaves this year…

15. hamid Timgad on December 3, 2021 at 1:04 pm

👏🍀👍 Bravo from Spain 👏

16. yong castillo on December 3, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Aside from learning a lot, I am now officially in love. You are simply remarkable.

17. Joyce Bellamy on December 3, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Something is taking the little green tomatoes off my plants in Tennessee. I need to find something economical to cover my raised bed. Please suggest the most economical frames as I am on fixed retired budget.

18. Dallas76JJ on December 3, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Great video. I was looking for ideas to keep out Scrub turkeys. These birds are big and love to scratch all day long. Very destructive. I live in rainforest jungle. Hello from Australia

19. Edward J on December 3, 2021 at 1:04 pm

Mice, chip monks and squirrels. 1/4" hardware cloth. These critters go through plastic nets like a hot knife through butter.

20. Amanda Buchanan on December 3, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Fire ants and i havent found a solution yet saidly

21. Blue Vireo on December 3, 2021 at 1:06 pm

I’m in California…sad thing, when I tried to use netting around my garden three huge gorpher snakes were caught in it…I was able to save one by carefully cutting away the netting…but the others were baked in the sun. I wish I could use it, but the snakes are very important to keep the gophers in check…which are a huge problem for home gardeners here. Thanks your video was inspiring anyway:)

22. ORGANIC BACKYARD GARDENING 2020 on December 3, 2021 at 1:06 pm

NEW SUBSCRIBER HERE FROM CALIFORNIA 🥰

23. Daniel Hiller on December 3, 2021 at 1:08 pm

Thanks for an excellent video. Thanks to you and your discount code I have now placed an order with Gardening Naturally for a Square Aluminium Hoop Netting Tunnel Kit and a couple of other items, ready for my first ‘serious’ season of growing organic veg in my garden. Of course I have also liked and subscribed! 👍😎

24. Mark D on December 3, 2021 at 1:10 pm

Where did you get the hoops, instead of using PVC plastic wanted to use metal, but not sure how to Ben’s it.

25. Charlie Mcgriff on December 3, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Hey freind where can I buy those metal poles for my garden

26. Simon Stones on December 3, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Where are you darling?

27. Debbie Gibson on December 3, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I need to keep squash bugs out. We get them by the thousands every year. Anyone have suggestions, I live in Oregon in this beautiful little valley. I absolutely love this vlog.

28. Neil Robinson on December 3, 2021 at 1:14 pm

Love the vids👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍👍

29. Helena Hung on December 3, 2021 at 1:17 pm

I want to cover my squash from being stolen. What is the best netting do I need?

30. Charlie Melton on December 3, 2021 at 1:18 pm

We have squirrels and chipmunks, raccoons, and all manner of birds from hummingbirds to bald eagles. But the worst are the deer. I love them but some years they eat my hostas down to ground level.

31. Trump Lost LOL on December 3, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Do interplanting and you will end up with few pest issues. If you plant only a single crop in a raised bed, you will end up with pests. Make it difficult for your pests to find their food. Also, if you have trees, fruit trees, shrubs, … interplanted with your vegetables, you will also end up with fewer pest issues. Small birds will fly around eating bugs for you. Interplanting will also reduce the damage by slugs and snails cause again they will have to wander around to find food. I have grass everywhere. It make it difficult for slugs and snails to move around. Wood chips and raised bed will encourage slugs and snails.

32. Onno Zweers on December 3, 2021 at 1:20 pm

Hi Tanya, thanks for your videos. I loved to see your net solution. I live near Amsterdam and the worst plague here is probably slugs, but not the only. Sometimes cats use a seeded raised bed as a litter box, which I try to prevent by laying down lots of sticks. After seeing your video I think I will get some nets. I have a few fruit trees in my garden: apple, pear, plum. Often, many apples and plums are eaten by worms. Last year, after reading about using great tits against the invading oak processionary caterpillar, I started feeding birds; I put sunflower seeds on a feeder house, and especially great tits enjoy them. Sometimes they want a change of menu and then they look for insects and caterpillars. Once I saw them going through the apple tree; before that there were hundreds of caterpillars in the tree, and after the tits were done, almost none! It was too late in the season to rescue the harvest, but this year I kept feeding the great tits in the hope they will control the pests when it’s most vital. Besides that, they are very nice and funny birds and it’s always a pleasure to see them. A few days ago I saw a parent tit feeding three young ones, my goodness what a work. The parent was obviously very happy with my supply of "fast food". Sometimes there are other birds that want to eat from the sunflower seeds, like pigeons and ring-necked parakeets. I try to keep those at bay by placing the bird feeder closer to the ground, and under a tree. Big birds don’t like that because it makes them vulnerable to cats. But the great tits are very quick and fly away easily, so they don’t mind. I also have two nesting boxes for tits in the garden. Are there great tits on the Isle of Man? Do you have experience with using tits or other animals for pest control?

33. Debbie Blanke on December 3, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Plastic gutter seed starts … BRILLIANT! However, I cannot find the video you referenced. Could someone please reply with a link if you’ve seen it? TY in advance.

34. Joe Cornely on December 3, 2021 at 1:21 pm

does netting with half-inch openings interfere with pollination? You mention that honey bees can get through, but I’ve seen them struggle and give up –

35. Daniel Williams on December 3, 2021 at 1:29 pm

1:00 I have NEVER heard such a Murder of Crows in the background of ANY YouTuber’s videos such as yours. Dear Lord how do you stand it? What are they doing back there? Sounds like the “year of the Crow”.

36. Teresa Suárez Grosso, Actor on December 3, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Where do you source the clips with stake holes. Do they have a specific name. Love the squared frames! (I’m in the US).
    Can rodents chew through the netting choices you showed? I have problem gophers, rats, mice, raccoons, opossums, skunks, squirrels, along with all the birds, insect pests, moths, & coyotes. Thank you!

37. abeille' abeille2 on December 3, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Bienvenue 🐝🐝🐇🐟🐿️🐴🐞🐝

38. krissycus on December 3, 2021 at 1:30 pm

Do you think this netting would deter chickens from devouring/scratching up plants? I want to let my chickens free range, but my plants are all spread out and hard to fence.

39. Ruth Grantham on December 3, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Thank you so much for a useful video. I cannot explain the devastation I felt yesterday when I got to my patch which I had been tend and had protected with a netted dome for the last 3 months. Our wildlife are a troop of monkeys which traipse through my yard twice a day. I took photos in the morning to share with my extended family around the country – we live in South Africa and are still in lockdown(less severe but still not able to visit each other). My cauliflower was looking so good and when I went out in the late afternoon to water, for the first time in the last 3 years since I started using the dome, the monkeys somehow found a way in. They broke all the stems of the cauliflower which had bloomed and bit into each head and left the devastation. I’ve been feeling really low about this as I have battled to grow much with the monkeys about and was so excited to be harvesting the cauliflower in a week or so. I hadn’t grown them before. I will need to figure out next steps as failure of this magnitude is not going to hold me back – from sunny Durban, South Africa PS. we also have a mole that tries to test my patience.

40. abeille' abeille2 on December 3, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Good ☺️🙏

41. Cloudberry Flowers - Flower Farm and Garden on December 3, 2021 at 1:35 pm

Great video! This is the year of the pigeon for me who have loved eating new growth in the flower patches. I am going to have to net a lot more than I usually do. I use gardening naturally too and have semi circular hoops but it was interesting seeing how the square hoops gave you a bit more space in the bed x

42. aziz Sadewa Jaya on December 3, 2021 at 1:35 pm

very useful spirit continues my boss

43. Sprocket Head on December 3, 2021 at 1:36 pm

I’m new to gardening. We built a raised bed garden and am planting seeds this week. How do you keep squirrels out of a garden?

44. James Willison on December 3, 2021 at 1:39 pm

Snails they are the devils children

45. lapassion24 on December 3, 2021 at 1:40 pm

What about the bugs!!??

46. dos dandelions on December 3, 2021 at 1:41 pm

What are those green boxes in your gardens please?

47. Carl Duffin on December 3, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Those stones holding the nets down in the video are far from enough to keep birds out. Nets need pegging down every foot to stop birds pushing underneath and getting trapped inside.
    Netting is fine until you come across a bird that has died trying to escape from a net cage and died off heat exhaustion and you realise you are directly responsible for its death.

48. Mike Feasel on December 3, 2021 at 1:44 pm

thanks

49. Mała Gośka on December 3, 2021 at 1:45 pm

🤣🦅

50. Mango Mike on December 3, 2021 at 1:46 pm

How do you protect tomatoes from squirrels and rabbits?