Top 5 Perennials for Southern Gardens // Gardening with Creekside

Top 5 Perennials for Southern Gardens // Gardening with Creekside

Are you looking for a high performing yet a low maintenance perennial to add to your southern garden? Come with me as I share with you my top 5 favorite perennials from Proven Winners that have performed above and beyond my expectations! Gardening in the South can be quite challenging at times due to our hot days, unbelievable humidity, long stints of no rain, oh and don’t forget all of the bugs just waiting to devour our plants. So grab a cold glass of lemonade and your gardening notepad, and let’s talk plants!

Proven Winners Plants Featured

Instagram https://www.instagram.com/creeksidenursery/
Email jenny@gardeningwithcreekside.com

Mailing Address
181 Pine Hollow Dr
Dallas, NC, 28034

1. Roshani M on December 5, 2021 at 12:23 pm

Thank you so much for this video. I deal with the dreaded Japanese beetles in my area so knowing which perennials they avoid is so helpful…last year I had to give away my newly bought Dahlias as the beetles really liked them. More videos of plants they dislike will be greatly appreciated!

2. ItsMrAnthony on December 5, 2021 at 12:24 pm

Liked and subbed! We moved to SC 5 years ago. And I’ve been struggling to get a hold of what I can safely plant and maintain. I’m a bit stubborn but still learning. Can’t wait to next spring. Thank you!

3. Amber Turner on December 5, 2021 at 12:26 pm

I will be adding some of these to my garden next year. I am looking for SHADE loving bushes/shrubs. I have/ had azaleas across my porch. One side is full shade and the other gets some sun. Some of my azaleas have died. They did not perform to well anyway. I was wondering what you would suggest. I live in West Tennessee. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

4. SofTaco on December 5, 2021 at 12:26 pm

Would be nice if it wasn’t hot and muggy every time I work on my yard/garden

5. The Monte Phone on December 5, 2021 at 12:27 pm

No PW what’s a good substitute?

6. Laurie Mullet on December 5, 2021 at 12:27 pm

So thrilled to have videos specific to the southeast!

7. The Monte Phone on December 5, 2021 at 12:29 pm

Challenging w clay

8. Juanita Gibbs on December 5, 2021 at 12:31 pm

Jenny could you let me know if you have any of the. Large leaf ajuga all I have found is a new variety with tiny leaves I live in Slidell La. thank you. 🙏🏻 love your Creekside videos

9. Ariplayz Yt on December 5, 2021 at 12:34 pm

Thank you for alll the goo information, Iam preparing a circle bed divided in four what can I plant is shade area in the front of the house Sonia from GA

10. Colleen van de Kraats on December 5, 2021 at 12:34 pm

I just found you and I’m so happy!! We relocated to middle TN from No. CA!!!

11. Carolyn Knisely on December 5, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Thank you.

12. Linda Lagarce on December 5, 2021 at 12:37 pm

Thank you, thank you, building a garden that gets a lot of sun so these beauties will be great! Thank you, hugs and love from Texas, where it is sticky and hit, most of the year! Lol

13. Vickie keatley on December 5, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Great information for us newbie Southerners!🌞🌞🌞

14. Anita Sanders on December 5, 2021 at 12:39 pm

Great info. Thanks from West Tennessee

15. Toni Saylor on December 5, 2021 at 12:43 pm

Great video & info!! Thanks Jenny!

16. Larry Olson on December 5, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Paint the town do better than the fruit punch series?

17. The Monte Phone on December 5, 2021 at 12:46 pm

Easy shopping list!
    This helps.
    I learned something.

18. Sherry Hudson on December 5, 2021 at 12:47 pm

Definitely want to get the Banana Cream daisy

19. Larry Olson on December 5, 2021 at 12:48 pm

Are those day lilies great repeat bloomers or just June bloomers?

20. Rachelle Taylor on December 5, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Great video!

21. Elma Riedstra on December 5, 2021 at 12:49 pm

Love these flowers!! I will need to find some!!

22. The Monte Phone on December 5, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Love the conclusion!
    Oh lol and blooper
    (That was surprise.)
    Lol

23. brenda toussaint on December 5, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Thank you so much for your great videos 😊

24. Dreamy Garden2000 on December 5, 2021 at 12:51 pm

Unfortunately Banana Cream is not Japanese Beetle resistant, mine is under attack daily and looking pretty bad. Japanese Beetle and June bugs love that plant.

25. C Olson on December 5, 2021 at 12:52 pm

Good info. Thanks for sharing.

26. Love Dawgs on December 5, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Nice list! I have the hosta, and the black hellispores. Have had some of the others over the years. Will have to try them again.

27. Kelly Williams on December 5, 2021 at 12:55 pm

Thank you for the video! This was really useful for me (zone 7a in Virginia). You’re right about oppressive humidity. I took the dog out at 5:30am today before the sun was up and it already felt like it was 85 with the humidity.

28. Tim Patz on December 5, 2021 at 12:57 pm

Plant series like Proven Winners usually don’t provide a lot of details. With daylily varieties, they don’t usually disclose whether they are dormant, semi-evergreen, or evergreen. Dormant daylily varieties don’t do well in my part of the country. I would appreciate it if you would include such details when you can. Thanks.

29. Faith Felice on December 5, 2021 at 12:58 pm

Out on the Proven Winners website there are numerous complaints of this not surviving in a hot summer area such as Texas.

30. Nev Naidoo on December 5, 2021 at 12:59 pm

Love your videos💚

31. Diane M on December 5, 2021 at 1:02 pm

So beautiful. I just got some dianthus, but haven’t planted them yet. I’m in zone 10b. Hope they do okay. I have a question about day lilies – what do I do with them once all the blooms have bloomed? Do I cut them all the way down to the base? I’m new to gardening. I just started in May. I’m learning so much from your videos. Thank you.

32. Tom Wessling on December 5, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Our deer say ‘oh la la’ to hosta’s.

33. Socorro M on December 5, 2021 at 1:09 pm

Hi – I live in AZ, where its a dry heat (ex. August) but cant find any hostas in local nursery.
    Was told too hot here, But you say they do ok in zone 9 w/shade?

34. Megan Black on December 5, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Moved to the South (west TN) from the west coast a couple years ago, and am moving to NC in a couple weeks. Absolutely love gardening, but have been struggling with the humidity, pests and my plants. Glad I found your channel!!!! Going to go through each video and make a list of plants I love to place in my garden!!!

35. Lauren Pero on December 5, 2021 at 1:11 pm

I am a passionate gardener and have been gardening in Georgia for my whole life. I really enjoy your channel and learn so much from your videos. I wish I could visit you at Creekside and support your garden center and meet you in person! Please keep up your channel because you are delightful!

36. Crystal Barrow on December 5, 2021 at 1:11 pm

Thanks for sharing friend i hope you have a blessed day .

37. Marilyn Baldwin on December 5, 2021 at 1:12 pm

The lilies are my favorite! I will be planting some of those! Beautiful! Video!

38. Southerncharmed 411 on December 5, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I out in 8 black pearls in the fall, and by June they were all dead. Could not handle our heat and humidity at all!! I had them in morning sun and shade in the afternoon. I do not recommend those. I live in 7B also.

39. Sherry Jefcoat on December 5, 2021 at 1:13 pm

I have recently found your videos and have really enjoyed them. I loved the idea of taking notes for next year! I live in zone 8a so always hot and humid, and I am now trying to learn what to plant that works in my area/conditions. I will add these to a list for next year. If you have day lillies and want to redo the flower bed, when is the best time to move them? I want to change up a bed and add a few more especially those big 7 inch ones! Thank you for your help!

40. Socorro M on December 5, 2021 at 1:16 pm

P. S. Enjoy watching your channel!!

41. Stephanie Stewart on December 5, 2021 at 1:16 pm

I’m in Eastern NC zone 8 and I’m struggling to keep my banana cream daisies from wilting. Any suggestions is greatly appreciated.

42. Rachel King on December 5, 2021 at 1:18 pm

That was great! Just what I needed! I am so excited to go out and get these plants! Great video!

43. Donna Nelson on December 5, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Great video I enjoyed it and took notes. Going to try all five plants here in Texas!

44. The Monte Phone on December 5, 2021 at 1:20 pm

?Are these no-deer??
    You didn’t mention…

45. Michelle Solheim on December 5, 2021 at 1:20 pm

I really enjoy your videos, even though I garden in zone 3!

46. The Monte Phone on December 5, 2021 at 1:20 pm

I do not like day-lilies …used to be in charge of them younger…
    But these! I’ll try!
    (If I had PW)

47. Brittany sue on December 5, 2021 at 1:20 pm

DO you live in ashburn Virginia?? There is a girl on Mercari its a resell ap you have to download its free. So when ur signed up search Casey she has raised beds, 2 trellis and 2 huge stands!!! All for free just you have to go pick it up. Im in Ohio im to far away or I would in heart beat!!! Mind you the beds are not wood there all white and expensive beds

48. Thomaso on December 5, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Oriental poopy. Nice plants. The pinks are nice. Not sure how far southern they go.

49. Yolanda Rivera Irby on December 5, 2021 at 1:21 pm

Love, love them all.

50. Logan Simpson on December 5, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Great video from your favorite nephew.