Wannabe Flower Farmer? Here's the Best & Easiest Way to Get Started

Wannabe Flower Farmer? Here's the Best & Easiest Way to Get Started

You dream of growing cut flowers and selling them, but you’re a beginner on a budget. How do you fulfill your dream of becoming a flower farmer? In this video, I chat about the simple way to cheaply start a small scale flower farm in a backyard garden–and why dipping your toe in first is the way to go.

Get into the Backyard Business: Cut Flowers Made Simple Flower Farming Course: https://www.shiftingroots.com/backyard-cut-flower-business/

The Backyard Business Playlist; https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLbBgGYvPihQXe-GqMBQo_6WIEjdE_YIXS

Follow me on Instagram:
Buy my flowers in and around Saskatoon, SK on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/shiftingroots_inbloom

Free raised bed cut flower plan: https://www.shiftingroots.com/free-raised-bed-cut-flower-plan
Cut Flowers Made Simple: https://www.shiftingroots.com/product/cut-flowers-made-simple-special-offer/
Constant Colour Garden:

Constant Colour Garden

Bouquets Made Beautiful:

Bouquets Made Beautiful

Savvy Seed Saving:

Savvy Seed Saving

Frost Proof Flower Garden:

Frost Proof Flower Garden

Growing Roots Gardening Guide:

Growing Roots Gardening Guide

Pretty & Practical Garden Planner:

Pretty & Practical Garden Planner

Flower Farmer Garden Planner:

Flower Farmer Garden Planner Printable

More flower and garden content on www.shiftingroots.com

1. Sow Many Seedlings on December 7, 2021 at 12:28 pm

Wow your bouquets look spectacular!!!

2. Kimberly Greidanus on December 7, 2021 at 12:33 pm

Glad i found you…my first year planting for cut flower gardens

3. Yolanda Pierce on December 7, 2021 at 12:35 pm

I had to watch twice because I was too focused on that gorgeous snake plant ๐Ÿคฃ

4. Shanna's Country Creek on December 7, 2021 at 12:36 pm

Flower farmer dreamer here with a Lil start. Great video! Just what I was looking for. Thank you! Any advice on getting past not wanting to cut a beautiful flower from the garden… kinda the same thing as thinning veggies ๐Ÿคฆโ€โ™€๏ธ๐ŸŒป๐Ÿ’๐ŸŒน

5. ch atif on December 7, 2021 at 12:37 pm

What’s earnings your garden.

6. lynn682 on December 7, 2021 at 12:41 pm

I’m so happy I found your channel. My garden is smallish, as well. My mantra is work with what you have. I’ve already grown flowers, veggies and herbs but this will be my first season growing for sale. So nervous ๐Ÿ˜“.

7. Rain Dance Ranch on December 7, 2021 at 12:44 pm

Excellent advice.

8. Kaitlin Johnson on December 7, 2021 at 12:44 pm

The YouTube algorithm really got me, this time! Iโ€™ve been daydreaming about selling some cut flowers but only have a small yard and Iโ€™m growing in zone 4โ€“so different from every other flower farmer Iโ€™ve seen on YouTube! I will be following with great interest!

9. Helena Chase on December 7, 2021 at 12:45 pm

I posted you on my facebook page in Regina. You truely inspire me to start my own flower farm. Lark farm near Regina has also been a deep inspiration. I am old now but still want to live the dream on my new 12 acre property. Could you sell me any seeds ?

10. Nikki Holton on December 7, 2021 at 12:45 pm

I’m getting close to getting started with growing flowers on out new property. Just starting seeds for my back yard for test….I have small areas….but going to try. Starting with cool flowers…your information is fantastic.

11. The Dri Journal (Farmstead Smith) on December 7, 2021 at 12:46 pm

2:59 what kind of Zinnia is that one with the red to orange ombrรฉ?? ๐Ÿฅฐ

12. Kira Loveall on December 7, 2021 at 12:46 pm

It’s not that cut and dry… unintentional flower farming pun? Also, great video! Thank you!

13. Holmberg Family Homestead on December 7, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Thank you for sharing. Very nice. We are a retired couple looking to have a small side business and enjoy gardening.

14. Atef Basha on December 7, 2021 at 12:53 pm

It’s very very very good beautifully so much and family members and friends so much Kristen Raney ๐ŸŽ๐Ÿ๐Ÿ…๐Ÿ’๐Ÿฑ๐Ÿง€๐ŸŽต๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ๐ŸŽน๐ŸŽบ๐ŸŽป๐ŸŽธ๐Ÿ””๐ŸŽงโ›ช๐Ÿ›a lot of Buquets work Business

15. Haidee M on December 7, 2021 at 12:54 pm

I’m glad I found your site. I want to sell flowers on a small scale as in my backyard garden. Not trying to get rich or anything but since I like to grow flowers I may as well sell some of it. And, I’m planning eventually on not having grass – I don’t like to mow and they’re just boring.

16. Kikiesvibexo on December 7, 2021 at 12:55 pm

New stubbier here๐Ÿ™Œ๐Ÿผ Loved this, uncomplicated and this is talking directly to me. Great content and canโ€™t wait to read your blog x

17. Nikki Holton on December 7, 2021 at 1:02 pm

I am still managing to spend a really large amt of money on seeds, supplies, bulbs, lost a whole bunch of rununculus last spring. I think I watered them too much and rotted them

18. Jillian Cook on December 7, 2021 at 1:08 pm

THIS is the kind of advice dreamers/beginners/wannabes/noobs need!
    I donโ€™t have thousands of dollars to invest, nor do I know if thereโ€™s a market in my rural area to sustain a larger endeavor.
    So glad you popped up in my feed. Iโ€™ll be perusing your older videos!
    Iโ€™m interested in more info on spacing (from what Iโ€™ve gathered flower farmers often plant closer together to encourage longer stems…), pinching, and staking/supporting.

19. herb and leaf on December 7, 2021 at 1:10 pm

great information!! thanks for sharing!

20. Sharon Jennings on December 7, 2021 at 1:14 pm

So have you sold your bouquets at a market or even at a stand outside of your home? How does the Facebook sales go? I live in a small community and I’m not sure exactly how to do that in my town so I have committed to a market a couple Towns over but I would like to get sales in the town where I live as well

21. Bertha Hinojosa on December 7, 2021 at 1:17 pm

you are a blessing

22. Leela O on December 7, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Thinking about getting back into flower farming, but my age and health dictate I go micro. You are a great inspiration, and I love how authentic you are ๐ŸŒบ

23. Sharon Jennings on December 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm

Do you have a lot of luck selling bouquets in your fb page? I think it’s a great idea.

24. J.M.R.F on December 7, 2021 at 1:25 pm