Top 5 Gardening Tools You Need

Top 5 Gardening Tools You Need

Kristopher from the Midwest Man Mountain channel is joining us this month to discuss the top 5 garden tools you need to start gardening this Spring.

Like us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/HomeAndGardenMM/

Subscribe to Home and Garden for Mere Mortals:
Subscribe to MidwestManMountain to see more from Kristopher:

River Meditation by Audionautix is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution license (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/4.0/)
Artist: http://audionautix.com/

1. AmishPope on December 8, 2021 at 12:48 pm

After already having four bouts with skin cancer I wear a wide brim hat. Having Amish stores near me I bought one of their straw hats. Subscribed.

2. hj brubaker on December 8, 2021 at 12:48 pm

its a flowerpot man!

3. rick padgett on December 8, 2021 at 12:48 pm

No harm done but very goofy.

4. retsaoter on December 8, 2021 at 12:49 pm

I like a combination hoe/cultivator for weeding. I rehandled one with a 30" handle so you don’t have to bend over as much.

5. B Cook on December 8, 2021 at 12:49 pm

A hose, long enough to reach your whole garden.
    A pitchfork for turning/aerating compost(Ive found a shovel can hurt worms around the edges)
    Bird feeders to attract birds who will eat pests
    A water source(pond or birdbath(s)) for birds and insects in the area
    Mason bee homes cause they are great pollinators, and are native.

6. Len Carl on December 8, 2021 at 12:50 pm

Regional & soil differences vary so a flat tine fork is the best for maintaining tilth, even digging a hole, as most shovels create walls, not letting oxygen into root balls during growth. Larger gardens need 2 or 4 wheel carriers, as one wheel balance is tough to manage plus storage & aesthetics are awkward, however cost may be prohibitive. Your mileage may vary.

7. Harry Christenson on December 8, 2021 at 12:51 pm

The Hori Hori is one of my favorite tools

8. Marjo Kei on December 8, 2021 at 12:53 pm

Well, I liked this video. I am great at killing plants so the very basics are great for me 😀 And this is for mere mortals, right? No need for super snazzy stuff…. MWMM, you’re cool. *cool nod*

9. Sonali Gonzalez-Rosendo on December 8, 2021 at 12:54 pm

i think the thing that you put the birt in

10. A. STARZ on December 8, 2021 at 12:55 pm

is he wearing lipstick?!?!

11. xnamkcor X on December 8, 2021 at 12:58 pm

One of my favourite newly found tools is the manual weed cutter.

12. Scott L on December 8, 2021 at 12:59 pm

The hat is ridiculously large and somewhat goofy looking… I love mine, dang things provides some shade doesn’t it Kris. Where did you get yours?
    I like your video style and camera personality… just subscribed to your channel.

13. Fernando Román on December 8, 2021 at 12:59 pm

I LOVE this, thank you so much.

14. Saichen on December 8, 2021 at 1:00 pm

Are there any specialty tools you recommend for container gardening? I am in a townhouse and, aside from the flowerbed out front, i only have a 6 foot by 6 foot patio on the back of my home on which to grow container vegetables. Aside from my basic hand tools, should I be on the lookout for something else?

15. Menace Jiu-Jitsu on December 8, 2021 at 1:05 pm

Awesome video.

16. Grownmonster521 1 on December 8, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Not everyone has the same soil to use hand tools on to loosen the soil cause not everyone has the same type soil. My soil type is clay, I can barely dig anything so I’m trying a electric tool for digging like a rotating tiller. Do you have any suggestions of what tools to use should to loosen up soil, plz give your thoughts of what I should use on clay soil, thx

17. Christine Taylor on December 8, 2021 at 1:06 pm

Hi Kristopher! I live in the Mojave Desert and I can say I agree with your choice of tools; I own all of them. I tend to wear out a lot of gardening gloves moving sandy clay and rocks around. I like the knit and latex combo. They fit my hands better. I was nearly going crazy because I misplaced my pruning saw in January. Nice video!

18. Chewning Witmer on December 8, 2021 at 1:11 pm

I bought Woodglut once and now I have lifetime access to thousands of woodworking projects.

19. Душан Палалић on December 8, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Maybe a hose or buckett for wotering your garden?

20. BDMayhem on December 8, 2021 at 1:12 pm

Does the rotating handle in the pruning shears serve a purpose?

21. Samtagri on December 8, 2021 at 1:16 pm

I may be more inclined to take this advice if the garden didn’t look completely dead!

22. north louisiana model shop on December 8, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Great tool tips!! Thanks for sharing.

23. David D on December 8, 2021 at 1:18 pm

Nice video.

24. Ingrid R on December 8, 2021 at 1:19 pm

Yay! New content on HGMM! 🙂

I’d have to say that my favorite tool (at the moment) is that all-purpose metal rake (third one you showed). I am intrigued by that three-pronged hook-y looking one though. Favorite tool as a kid was the good old manure shovel 😉

I’ll check out your channel next; thanks for a great video!

25. Jack Taylor on December 8, 2021 at 1:21 pm

very informative, hope to see you again soon.

26. imasurvivornthriver on December 8, 2021 at 1:21 pm

My 6 tine Yo-Ho manure fork is an INDISPENSABLE tool for me in my sandy, compacted, and rocky soil. Just yesterday, I moved TONS of rocks and roots from my 4’x8′ garden bed as well as aerated the soil with it. This thing goes 12.5" deep into the soil! This thing is BOSS! LOL!! It does things a spade shovel could NEVER do! Thought i’d share that to help others. Thanks for sharing.

27. TheMsLady4Real on December 8, 2021 at 1:22 pm

Awesome video!

28. Clashof Clans on December 8, 2021 at 1:25 pm

well tnx because it help me to review to test

29. peter shevlan on December 8, 2021 at 1:31 pm

Happy days!!

30. RCW Designs on December 8, 2021 at 1:33 pm

I can’t help but thing that the good old migrant worker is missing from this list.

31. chuckccfd9 on December 8, 2021 at 1:33 pm

For me #1 is a walk behind tiller we have a big garden # 2 my bucket on my tractor to move all my compost my livestock make a look of compost then I have a bunch of different hand tools as well. Good advice

32. Kevin Johnson on December 8, 2021 at 1:34 pm

Just FYI. There are two types of pruning shears, bypass and anvil. Bypass shears are used on live and dormant growth. Anvil shears are used on dead growth, like last years’ blackberry canes.

33. TheLawClerk on December 8, 2021 at 1:36 pm

this dude is a serial killer

34. Steve Larsen on December 8, 2021 at 1:37 pm

Is it better or not to use a tiller? Is it better to spade your garden?

35. Doug Yanez on December 8, 2021 at 1:37 pm

If we’re talking big tools, I like bedding forks and digging forks better than shovels for some jobs. I also love the tiny circle hoe or carrot hoe or short hula hoe. It goes by many names, but it’s my favorite weeding tool by far.

36. Prince Balary on December 8, 2021 at 1:40 pm

Great Tips!!!
    I ordered really nice pruning shears from amazon. they are extremely comfortable and sharp and arrived in 3 days!

37. Dave Rutan on December 8, 2021 at 1:41 pm

The top 3 long handled garden tools that we use are the shovel, steel rake and a hoe. The hoe is good for hilling up raised beds or hills and also for tamping down a planted seed bed without bending over.

38. pwbpeter on December 8, 2021 at 1:41 pm

How about a large and small garden fork to loosen the soil without having to completely move it like with a spade.

39. Jeffrey Moon on December 8, 2021 at 1:42 pm

Welcome to the channel! Was that a three bin composting system I saw near the end? I would say that you should show the benefits of using that system in one of your future contributions to this channel. I started one last year and it’s great for make compost fast!

40. Murray Lowe on December 8, 2021 at 1:45 pm

I think a dibble a hoe a grub hoe. a string line a rotor tiller (If you can afford one) a bunch of row marker stakes a good small milking stool or such to make it easier to weed a nice chicken wire fence to keep small critters out like rabbits and gophers (Bury the bottom edge deep so they do not burrow underneath) and a few large tarps in case of hail warning.

41. Jim Dollens on December 8, 2021 at 1:46 pm

I thought it was pretty good. Actually pretty informative for a new home owner.

42. Richard Graham on December 8, 2021 at 1:47 pm

I would put the phone number for MISS DIG as #1 for anyone starting a new digging job in a spot that you and NEVER dug in that location.